Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Twerk from Home posted:

What did LG give you as a warranty replacement? My post-Nexus 5X life has been a couple of miserable months trying to use the LG G5 they sent me, followed by selling it in anger and buying a Moto G5+ which has been a pretty excellent phone. LG G5 bad, Moto G5 good.

I'm having a different but similar experience, I'm not quite ready to buy a new phone yet but I smashed my LG G5 when it fell out of my pocket and Asurion sent me a Galaxy S6 instead because I guess the LG G5 was so unpopular that they don't have any to refurb. I know complaining about the differences between two ancient phones is kind of silly but why the gently caress is the back button on the right? Why does it have capacitive buttons? Why is the fingerprint reader so lovely compared to the G5's? Why is the battery gone by 3pm?

The screen on the Samsung is definitely nicer looking than my G5's was though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

minusX posted:

I believe you can turn down the default brightness then set auto after and I think it'll go off your default to start.

Thanks I'll try this.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

RichterIX posted:

I'm having a different but similar experience, I'm not quite ready to buy a new phone yet but I smashed my LG G5 when it fell out of my pocket and Asurion sent me a Galaxy S6 instead because I guess the LG G5 was so unpopular that they don't have any to refurb. I know complaining about the differences between two ancient phones is kind of silly but why the gently caress is the back button on the right? Why does it have capacitive buttons? Why is the fingerprint reader so lovely compared to the G5's? Why is the battery gone by 3pm?

The screen on the Samsung is definitely nicer looking than my G5's was though.

Ouch. That really blows. They gave you a refurb phone that probably already has a worn battery, so that's why the battery life sucks. Did you complain?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Twerk from Home posted:

Ouch. That really blows. They gave you a refurb phone that probably already has a worn battery, so that's why the battery life sucks. Did you complain?

That actually hadn't occurred to me because one of the common complaints about the s6 at release was its lovely battery life, and I am on it a fair amount during the day. I wonder if a worn battery is the problem.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Very, very early here but liking the Pixel 2 so far, regardless of the bezels. Love the feeling of the back and the fingerprint sensor feels much less cumbersome than the gfs Essential. I just need to nail down a good local music player.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Pixel 2XL here. I get this screen upon unlocking, almost every time.

What is this and why does it show a picture of an iPhone? How does one trace down what app may be causing this? My connections, wifi and LTE, are fine. How do I track down the app that's giving this cryptic error? Or if this is the OS itself, please tell me Google isn't using an iPhone in an error screen...

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sure you didn't install something malicious? No god drat SUPER SPEED UP SUPREME or ULTRA BAD MALWARE REMOVAL 2009?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hotsauce posted:

What is this and why does it show a picture of an iPhone? How does one trace down what app may be causing this? My connections, wifi and LTE, are fine. How do I track down the app that's giving this cryptic error? Or if this is the OS itself, please tell me Google isn't using an iPhone in an error screen...

I've literally never seen that error on any phone, what do you do hotsauce?!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hotsauce posted:

Shot in the dark but the red theme going on with that warning might indicate it's LastPass. Does the app have access to background data/data while asleep, etc?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

hotsauce posted:

I'm very confident that's not an Android OS screen.

A quick Google showed an identically worded error message for OneDrive. Couldn't find a similar image though. Maybe that?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The text and aesthetic of the screen looks a lot like this one I found through google:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

incogneato posted:

I'm very confident that's not an Android OS screen.

A quick Google showed an identically worded error message for OneDrive. Couldn't find a similar image though. Maybe that?

I use OneDrive as my cloud storage and it's never popped up anything like that on my phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

If you hit Task Switch (square) when this is up, does it show up as an app?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
edit: /\ /\ Yep, did that before I saw your reply.

Thanks....ya'll had me all :tinfoil:

I figured it out by tapping the app switcher after waking (when this cryptic screen is up). It's the Ecobee app, which consequently may be the worst app I've ever used even before this issue. It's a real bad iOS port and they don't seem to care. It's at the point that I'll probably return it to Costco and get a Nest now that they have remote sensors.

I've sent this to their support email asking them :wtf: their app is up to.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 28, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've had the Ecobee app installed for like 2 years and toggle back and forth between 2 different accounts and have literally never seen that screen or ever had a problem with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Internet Explorer posted:

I've had the Ecobee app installed for like 2 years and toggle back and forth between 2 different accounts and have literally never seen that screen or ever had a problem with it.

Same, it's a pretty decent app that I use every day.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Thermopyle posted:

Same, it's a pretty decent app that I use every day.
Derail incoming:

I really don't know how ya'll like the app. If you use the OS back button after being 8 screens deep, it advances back 1 screen at a time. You must use the iOS style back button in the top left to go back an entire screen (i.e. properly). It's such a bad iOS port it's not even funny. Anyhow...

/derail

The One True Android™ Pixel 2XL is great so far, save for some bluetooth fuckery. I have to manually re-connect as an audio device in my 2015 Subaru Legacy every single time I start the car. The audio always resumes on the phone speakers themselves rather than re-connecting to the car's bluetooth. It never happened on my Note 8. Any fix or do I have to manually go into the radio and disconnect/reconnect as an audio device every single time (it will show connected on the car, but audio comes out of the phone)? It's pretty aggravating.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

codo27 posted:

Very, very early here but liking the Pixel 2 so far, regardless of the bezels. Love the feeling of the back and the fingerprint sensor feels much less cumbersome than the gfs Essential. I just need to nail down a good local music player.

shuttle music player is good but it has a really garbage issue where you can't remove a song from a playlist without deleting it from your device.

otherwise people just use Google Play music I think

hotsauce posted:

The One True Android™ Pixel 2XL is great so far, save for some bluetooth fuckery. I have to manually re-connect as an audio device in my 2015 Subaru Legacy every single time I start the car. The audio always resumes on the phone speakers themselves rather than re-connecting to the car's bluetooth. It never happened on my Note 8. Any fix or do I have to manually go into the radio and disconnect/reconnect as an audio device every single time (it will show connected on the car, but audio comes out of the phone)? It's pretty aggravating.

I don't have this issue with my mazda :shrug:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 29, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

strap on revenge posted:

shuttle music player is good but it has a really garbage issue where you can't remove a song from a playlist without deleting it from your device.

otherwise people just use Google Play music I think

There's also Power Amp.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

hooah posted:

There's also Power Amp.

never liked this one because it looks straight outta the early 00s

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I've been having a weird problem with my Moto Z2 Play phone. Basically every once in a while any sort of audio visual playback be it a podcast, YouTube video, etc. just won't play properly. It'll play for one second, pause itself, repeat. It doesn't screw with anything saved to the phone. Oddly though, it also affects the mic in the sense that any attempted Google voice search just won't work. Like it'll say listening but then forcibly cut off after a fraction of a second. I can't think of any apps causing it and restarting the phone seems to temporarily fix it but having to do that regularly is kinda annoying. Anyone have any idea what the hell could be causing it?

After some investigating it appears to have something to do with one of the system related apps not being up to date. I turned off auto updates for a few reasons. Weird.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 29, 2018

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

does anyone know if it's possible to stop Facebook Messenger from taking over the status bar?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

#deletefacebook

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

Just like an early 00's music player you can theme it to look a bit better.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

strap on revenge posted:

does anyone know if it's possible to stop Facebook Messenger from taking over the status bar?

Just a guess: Take away the Draw on top permission?

But yeah, this:

RZA Encryption posted:

#deletefacebook

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Obsurveyor posted:

Just a guess: Take away the Draw on top permission?

But yeah, this:

that's what I'd have thought but doesn't seem to have made a difference

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

strap on revenge posted:

It really whips the llama's rear end

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Alternatively just use Messenger Lite

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hotsauce posted:

Derail incoming:

I really don't know how ya'll like the app. If you use the OS back button after being 8 screens deep, it advances back 1 screen at a time. You must use the iOS style back button in the top left to go back an entire screen (i.e. properly). It's such a bad iOS port it's not even funny. Anyhow...

I took this to the app thread...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764&pagenumber=167&perpage=40#post482617215

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

codo27 posted:

The free version of Pulsar does what I want, but I've found that people have wildly varying expectations of what a music player should do exactly, so just try it. All I'm doing is shuffle all and pause/resume the current shuffle all playlist.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

The free version of Pulsar does what I want, but I've found that people have wildly varying expectations of what a music player should do exactly, so just try it. All I'm doing is shuffle all and pause/resume the current shuffle all playlist.

See thats exactly what I do. The problem is I've never had a good shuffle on any device or app. I always feel like I only get maybe 50 odd songs out of the 1200 I have.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

hotsauce posted:

Derail incoming:

/derail

I've had these issues where an app isn't releasing the bluetooth audio correctly (going between speaker and headset). Quick fix is turning off BT and turning it back on on the phone.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

codo27 posted:

See thats exactly what I do. The problem is I've never had a good shuffle on any device or app. I always feel like I only get maybe 50 odd songs out of the 1200 I have.
The way Pulsar works is that when you hit shuffle, it just generates an already shuffled play queue that it plays sequentially. As long as you don't hit shuffle again and don't use the app to play files through a file manager or whatever (or wipe the app's cache, I guess) you can resume playing without repeats.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

codo27 posted:

I feel the same way and I always have.

Except nowadays I use Google Play Music All Access (lol googles naming). I only listen on shuffle. GPMAA lists the playcount for each song and it's roughly equal amongst the 350 songs I have on my main playlist.

It's just different cognitive biases working against us to make us think its not shuffling well.

Unless Google is intentionally not shuffling well and faking the play count numbers!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Unless Google is intentionally not shuffling well and faking the play count numbers!

It's not faking the numbers but it's also not real great at recording the plays properly. Looking at a playlist I went through early this week that I played every track in but it shows tracks that don't have any plays.

I actually want a music player that has a biased shuffle towards things I haven't listened to as much but all my music is in Google Play so I guess that's not going to happen any time soon.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

I actually want a music player that has a biased shuffle towards things I haven't listened to as much

I've thought to myself many times that if I ever came into a lot of money I'd pay some engineer to come up with an algorithm that basically does this. It makes so much sense. I guess its just a few of us weird goons that do shuffle-only.

I swear I feel like I'm autistic or something sometimes because I can almost predict the next song thats coming on. Its scary how often it happens. Like when I was a kid and I'd think of a random Simpsons episode at school and that one would come on that evening.

\/\/ The thing for me and reason I always keep my music local is a) I dont have/want the data to be able to stream all the time, and even if I did theres gently caress all service in my area. So then I'd have to pay for premium anyway so I can listen offline=back to square one.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 29, 2018

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Spotify's shuffle has always worked well for me (despite being garbage compared to the iOS version)

I listen to a lot of new music, so I keep a playlist of around 2000 songs that I rotate a few hundred songs out of every few months (while adding the songs I really liked to a different, constantly growing playlist). the shuffle always feels legitimately random even on huge playlists.

it's useless for non-Spotify music files ever since they broke that feature, though.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Music organization and players have really languished since everything went cloud based imo. Other things I'd like to see in a music library/player(i.e. Google Play for me):

Tag track to always play before/after another track, regardless of shuffling. If lead track is shuffled in, so is follower or vice versa
Tag tracks to not be included in "global" shuffles
Tag tracks for more than just explicit and filter shuffles on tags (probably just a more generic version of previous feature)
Genre hierarchies
Mark up tracks for start and end positions, ramp/fade time would be nice too

...and it better always remember where it was, what it was playing, when, etc. Looking at you web based Google Play who loses everything if you accidentally refresh/restart the browser or the page/plugin crashes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Something else, too. I want the poo poo to know not to play One Bourbon One Scotch at fuckin 10 in the morning, cause I gotta go drinking if I listen to that.

Going to have a look at Pulsar and Shuttle, next thing is to figure out if either will show track info in the dash of my Honda. The one grimace I have about that car is its hard on for apple. Samsung worked fine but gfs phone wont show track info, nor would my Z3c I had when I got the car I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Alternatively just use Messenger Lite

This. It wont play gifs but who cares, its not a pile of poo poo that also just randomly likes to leave GPS locked and loaded 247.