Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

canyoneer posted:

After 3 rooms of laminate and trim, my saw blade is getting pretty dull and is burning the MDF trim I'm cutting. I've got another room of laminate and trim to do, then it will probably not be used a bunch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH8HK8

Is it worth sharpening, or just buy a new one? If sharpening, do I pay to have it done or do i do it DIY?

If its the original blade that came with the saw, upgrade to a better one imo.

edit: of course Mattias has a video on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L3XekKIEd8

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm trying to find a decent stand to put a table saw on so I can use my existing work bench as an out feed table.

Are there any recommedations for adjustable height stands? The bench is 34" tall and the table saw itself is just a delta bench saw I got used.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

EvilBeard posted:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motor_Controls/Fuji_Contactors_-z-_Overloads/9_to_25_Amp/SC-E05-220VAC

With

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motor_Controls/Fuji_Contactors_-z-_Overloads/9_to_25_Amp/TK-E02-2200

Will work. Just use 2 of the 3 poles. Use 240V through the pressure switch, it should actuate the contactor. I'm not sure though, since household voltage is just two 120V hot legs, how the contactor will react. At work, our 240V is stepped down from 480 3 phase, so it's a hot and a neutral.

To be safe, you could put the pressure switch on lower voltage (120V) coming from a switch. That would turn the compressor on off (by eliminating the control voltage) and using

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motor_Controls/Fuji_Contactors_-z-_Overloads/9_to_25_Amp/SC-E05-110VAC

Bringing this up again, since you seem to know more than half the GJ posters.
Would this work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/171796749609
It's cheaper, and doesn't appear to use a thermal melt protection, unlike the Definite Purpose starters like: https://www.zoro.com/i/G4031526/

My motor is am Emerson DP-Compressor Motor, T63BVCKN-1376, which draws 22A at 230VAC
The Pressure switch is a SquareD 9013FHG54S198J59, which is actually rated for 24A FLA at 230VAC

I've got some start/stop swtiches from WEG before, and they seemed pretty good. Plastic, yes, but UL rated. I've also got a couple of indicator lights so I can tell when the starter has power. Currently, I'm switching everything with the breaker, and I'd like to go to a dedicated on switch with indicator light.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

Bringing this up again, since you seem to know more than half the GJ posters.
Would this work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/171796749609
It's cheaper, and doesn't appear to use a thermal melt protection, unlike the Definite Purpose starters like: https://www.zoro.com/i/G4031526/

My motor is am Emerson DP-Compressor Motor, T63BVCKN-1376, which draws 22A at 230VAC
The Pressure switch is a SquareD 9013FHG54S198J59, which is actually rated for 24A FLA at 230VAC

I've got some start/stop swtiches from WEG before, and they seemed pretty good. Plastic, yes, but UL rated. I've also got a couple of indicator lights so I can tell when the starter has power. Currently, I'm switching everything with the breaker, and I'd like to go to a dedicated on switch with indicator light.

That will work. It's just a simple manual motor starter, instead of being a contactor like the DP Starter you linked from Zoro. Instead of turning it on with a switch on the wall, you'll just do it at the motor stater. It looks like most WEG I can find seem to be UL and IEC rated.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EvilBeard posted:

That will work. It's just a simple manual motor starter, instead of being a contactor like the DP Starter you linked from Zoro. Instead of turning it on with a switch on the wall, you'll just do it at the motor stater. It looks like most WEG I can find seem to be UL and IEC rated.

Yeah, it's IEC instead of NMEA, thus the lower price.
It IS a contactor, though. CW25 contactor, and RW27 thermal overload relay. The motor has a thermal overload built-in, but it doesn't hurt to have both.
I'll get it ordered. I've found a bunch of info on wiring them up, so I should be good. Thanks!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I need a router for my next project. I was borrowing from my dad, but I'm now too far away to make that feasible.

Bought a Dewalt DW618 and a Bosch RA1171 table. That should hold me over until I get up and make my own table to use. No plunge base, because I doubt I'd use it very often. And a plunge base by itself isn't *that* expensive. I still need some bits, but I figure those are better bought in person where I can see the profiles myself.

I do good?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How does a platform truck cost $65 even at Walmart? It's literally a 36"x24" piece of steel, 4 wheels, and a handle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Josh Lyman posted:

How does a platform truck cost $65 even at Walmart? It's literally a 36"x24" piece of steel, 4 wheels, and a handle.

Wheels are expensive.

Serious answer.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Wheels are sold at a premium, especially when they are rated for higher loads.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fun little caster story:I was after some wheels for a little garage project a while back and was resigned to paying about £10 each for good wheels rated for the weight I needed when I find an eBay seller doing massive volume discounts, like buy 50 sets of casters for £150. I'd be set for life, what could go wrong? Then I realised they'd be poo poo, I'd never get my money back, so I got some local. Later taking to a guy at work he wanted a big bunch of wheels so I mentioned eBay, volume discounts etc but warned him they'd likely be poo poo.

He got them.

They were beyond poo poo.

Off the top of my head half had balls missing from the bearings, most had miss-cast tyres, all were bent, a fair few were already rusty and there were no end of broken or lovely welds. I doubt he got a good set of wheels out of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My caster story:

I needed a custom dolly so I went to the big box store to get supplies. I grab the shiniest lumber cart from out front and head to the caster aisle.

I pick out some casters, leave the lumbering cart nearby where it’s not in anyone’s way, and go to the hardware aisle to get the nuts and bolts I need to put the thing together.

Some deplorable stole my shiny cart with the last good casters in the store. :argh:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If you had played enough video games you'd know that you always need to provide cover for your casters

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Okay, that’s a pretty good pun.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

canyoneer posted:

If you had played enough video games you'd know that you always need to provide cover for your casters
:golfclap:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not sure if it's the best thread for this, but - are there any options for a reliable but affordable voltmeter-only device? I need literally no functions other than checking a battery in the 3-5v range. I'd normally just throw a HF freebie at it, but I want one that will actually be accurate more often / will actually throw a low battery alert when its own battery is low and the meter isn't accurate.

Just get a cheap analog multimeter for about 10 bucks. They only use the battery for measuring resistance -- voltage and current just go through a stack of calibrated resistors and right into the galvanometer. No need for a battery alarm because it can check its own battery if you think it's dying.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EvilBeard posted:

I installed that magnetic starter for my air compressor, finally. I installed an overnight switch, and a 240VAC indicator light to let me know when the switch is turned on. If anyone is looking for one, the WEG IEC-rated starter from UPE group on eBay is a killer deal. The light is from factorymation, but any 240VAC indicator would work. My phone died when I tried to take a picture (Nexus 6P battery of death), but I'll snap some tomorrow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not sure if it's the best thread for this, but - are there any options for a reliable but affordable voltmeter-only device? I need literally no functions other than checking a battery in the 3-5v range. I'd normally just throw a HF freebie at it, but I want one that will actually be accurate more often / will actually throw a low battery alert when its own battery is low and the meter isn't accurate.

An LED voltmeter might be what you want:

They’re powered from the source and draw on the order of ten milliamps

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Can someone recommend some torx screws for masonry/brick/concrete available online?

I am in the UK.

I don't need them in the hundreds, in the tens will do.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Steakandchips posted:

Can someone recommend some torx screws for masonry/brick/concrete available online?

I am in the UK.

I don't need them in the hundreds, in the tens will do.

I used to work for a fastener company. For quantities < 100, the shipping will be as much or even more than the item, mostly due to the weight of steel. You'll find that a lot for fasteners that you can't buy locally in small quantities. The local suppliers buy in bulk to save on the shipping costs of that much steel. Your only hope is places that offer free shipping. Speaking of free shipping, Amazon UK has a some options in Torx drive with free shipping.

If you do end up having to buy in bulk, at least you'll have spares.

True story, I had to fix the windows in my 1950s house when I moved in. The original windows were missing so many clips to hold in the screens that, regarding shipping, it was actually cheaper to buy the pack of 100. The same went for the aluminum screws to hold them in.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 28, 2018

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
My 20v dewalt batteries are either dead and not taking a charge( I left them in a toolbox in my garage all winter) or my charger isn't charging them.

When I plug them in I get a blinking red light on the charger which I believe is the sign they're charging, but when I put them on any of the tools they die almost immediately.

Is there a way to test each with my multimeter? I don't have access to any known good ones of either.

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

I'm clueless about DIY stuff. I'm looking at small hand saws. What does "reversible cutting edge" mean? Does it have to do with wood grain, or right-vs-left-handed, or does it mean something else? Should I care if the saw has this feature?
I'm using this guide https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-move-box-spring-narrow-staircase
to dismantle a boxspring. Will this saw work? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-15-in-Hand-Saw/1205617
I don't care if it's not the very best tool I could use but will it do? (I will worry about putting it back together later)

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

shits.ridic posted:

I'm clueless about DIY stuff. I'm looking at small hand saws. What does "reversible cutting edge" mean? Does it have to do with wood grain, or right-vs-left-handed, or does it mean something else? Should I care if the saw has this feature?
I'm using this guide https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-move-box-spring-narrow-staircase
to dismantle a boxspring. Will this saw work? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-15-in-Hand-Saw/1205617
I don't care if it's not the very best tool I could use but will it do? (I will worry about putting it back together later)

You're cutting through very small pieces and it doesn't have to be precise, almost any saw will work.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm assuming that since you're looking at going to all this effort, you're set on whatever box spring you have, but I gotta point out that geez, they make smaller box spring units designed to be used in pairs for exactly this reason, like you buy two half-king boxes and everything is great. I think single-piece large-bed boxes are getting less and less common these days.

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

^^bruh this is a very narrow and wonky staircase

Gounads posted:

You're cutting through very small pieces and it doesn't have to be precise, almost any saw will work.

Yeah but do you know what reversible cutting edge means? I'm curious, but I can't find a definition online I just get bogged down with links about power saws.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

shits.ridic posted:

Yeah but surely if a human can fit up the stairs, a smaller-than-twin box will fit up. They're surprisingly small. For what size bed are you planning on cutting the box down?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

shits.ridic posted:

Yeah but do you know what reversible cutting edge means? I'm curious, but I can't find a definition online I just get bogged down with links about power saws.

I'd expect a reversible saw would be either one where you can change it from cutting on the push stroke to cutting on the pull stroke, or one where the sawblade has two sets of teeth, so when one set gets dull you can unmount the blade, flip it around, remount it, and have a fresh set of teeth to work with. But I have to admit that that's not a term I've encountered before on sawblades. What specific product are you seeing this feature on?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

shits.ridic posted:

my guess is that its a saw that you can push and pull through to make your cuts, some saws are pull-through only but most are meant to be used back and forth.

here's some info:

https://boingboing.net/2014/12/03/an-introduction-to-hand-saws.html

https://www.lowes.com/projects/woodworking-and-crafts/hand-saw-buying-guide/article

IMO borrow a power saw of some sort, you'd be better off.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

IMO borrow a power saw of some sort, you'd be better off.
You'd be better off with a $20 circular saw from a pawn shop. I can't imagine trying to put a series of inevitably hosed up hand saw cuts back together. A circular saw will give you something closer to a series of straight cuts to put back together.

But, uhh, does your boxspring not have a series of spring coils that you would have to cut in half and then. . . magically re-join?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

stealie72 posted:

You'd be better off with a $20 circular saw from a pawn shop. I can't imagine trying to put a series of inevitably hosed up hand saw cuts back together. A circular saw will give you something closer to a series of straight cuts to put back together.

But, uhh, does your boxspring not have a series of spring coils that you would have to cut in half and then. . . magically re-join?

Box springs don't generally have coils, they're more like this inside:

So you'll bend some of those wires, but they can be straightened out okay.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Box springs don't generally have coils, they're more like this inside:
Well, yeah, but you're cutting the big wire that surrounds them. I had assumed that was somewhat important for their stability. But hopefully I'm wrong.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No, you cut the wood frame, and bend the wires. That video op posted is a good demonstration and makes it pretty clear. You don’t actually end up with two pieces, just fold it into a different shape.

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah but surely if a human can fit up the stairs, a smaller-than-twin box will fit up. They're surprisingly small. For what size bed are you planning on cutting the box down?

I guess I haven't bought a bed in a long time because I didn't know these existed until your post. If it's smaller than a twin, it could work. The stairs in question are hosed, this is an apartment-above-the-garage situation and the design is a headscratcher (don't know who built it originally it's so old).
However, the mattress is queen-sized and I'm not sure they put two twins under mattresses that aren't king, but I could be wrong. I currently have a queen and it has a one-piece boxspring...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What specific product are you seeing this feature on?

This one, on the features chart. It's just a cheapass little saw but I wondered what they meant. I can't imagine a handsaw that only works one direction so I thought it was something other than just "works on both push and pull" Then again I'm clearly out of my depth and should stop assuming things
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-15-in-Hand-Saw/1205617

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

shits.ridic posted:

I guess I haven't bought a bed in a long time because I didn't know these existed until your post. If it's smaller than a twin, it could work. The stairs in question are hosed, this is an apartment-above-the-garage situation and the design is a headscratcher (don't know who built it originally it's so old).
However, the mattress is queen-sized and I'm not sure they put two twins under mattresses that aren't king, but I could be wrong. I currently have a queen and it has a one-piece boxspring...

Just a random product, not recommending this one in particular in any way at all, but: https://www.searsoutlet.com//d/prod...ZYaAqq-EALw_wcB

That's 79x30x9, twin mattress is usually 75x38 or so. So it's a few inches longer but significantly narrower. I'm sure they're available for MUCH cheaper than that, too, that seems like a pretty ridiculous price.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

kid sinister posted:

I used to work for a fastener company. For quantities < 100, the shipping will be as much or even more than the item, mostly due to the weight of steel. You'll find that a lot for fasteners that you can't buy locally in small quantities. The local suppliers buy in bulk to save on the shipping costs of that much steel. Your only hope is places that offer free shipping. Speaking of free shipping, Amazon UK has a some options in Torx drive with free shipping.

If you do end up having to buy in bulk, at least you'll have spares.

True story, I had to fix the windows in my 1950s house when I moved in. The original windows were missing so many clips to hold in the screens that, regarding shipping, it was actually cheaper to buy the pack of 100. The same went for the aluminum screws to hold them in.

Went to my local hardware store, they are ordering me a bag of 10 of each I want, as part of their weekly delivery, so no extra delivery charge. They are a good shop and I am happy to support them.

Your window story is absolutely mad!

Another question, where can I buy decent wood, for small projects, e.g. a box for holding 6 ink bottles, or a small wooden under-the-desk pedestal? I want it to be proper wood, hopefully oak to match my oak desk. No veneered rubbish!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Small stuff like that HD has hobby boards that should do the job. Probably not cheapest, but quick and simple.

Side note, with a table saw (makes wide boards narrower), miter saw (long boards shorter), planer (thick boards thinner) and a router (plain boards fancier) I should be about done for "major" type tools. Right? Please? My wallet begs for a "yes" answer.

Drill press and scroll saw come to mind, but they are more specialty stuff than the above. And I have a drill/driver and a jigsaw to approximate them at least.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 28, 2018

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
My screws keep coming out of my doorknob, mostly due to kids being kids. My doorknob is round and it makes getting a screwdriver in to tighten the screws a pain in the rear end. Is there like a tiny, uh, sideways, screwdriver or anything?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Grem posted:

My screws keep coming out of my doorknob, mostly due to kids being kids. My doorknob is round and it makes getting a screwdriver in to tighten the screws a pain in the rear end. Is there like a tiny, uh, sideways, screwdriver or anything?

We have a thing like this at work (probably not this exact one) and it works pretty well for tight spaces.

Other options:
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03044A-Ratcheting-Screwdriver-Close-Quarters/dp/B000XYOUS6/
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2944-Offset-Screwdriver-3-Piece/dp/B000NY8OQU/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Grem posted:

What you're looking for is "offset screwdriver". They're L or S shaped like the Ikea freebie hex wrenches.
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2944-Offset-Screwdriver-3-Piece/dp/B000NY8OQU/

Steakandchips posted:

Another question, where can I buy decent wood, for small projects, e.g. a box for holding 6 ink bottles, or a small wooden under-the-desk pedestal? I want it to be proper wood, hopefully oak to match my oak desk. No veneered rubbish!

woodworkerssource.com has everything and will let you order in small quantities.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ilkhan posted:

Side note, with a table saw (makes wide boards narrower), miter saw (long boards shorter), planer (thick boards thinner) and a router (plain boards fancier) I should be about done for "major" type tools. Right? Please? My wallet begs for a "yes" answer.

If you want to do more "woodworking" type of things, a jointer might be something to consider in the future, but a router + router table can sort of do the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you want to do more "woodworking" type of things, a jointer might be something to consider in the future, but a router + router table can sort of do the job.
Jointer is out of the question for now, for both space and cost reasons. Router or table saw can both approximate it for now.