Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Nastier Nate posted:

Maybe the first few seasons at best. King of the Hill would be a better example but they are more on the side of middle class.

Naw man, Squidbillies is the best example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Office Pig posted:

why do you do this to us

Just a reminder things could be much more frustratingly stupid

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

The Muppets On PCP posted:

medicare extra: lisa needs braces

Does medicare extra even cover dental plan?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bilirubin posted:

Naw man, Squidbillies is the best example

squidbillies is way too real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkKdUFJnW9o

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

medicare extra: lisa needs braces

Homer is literally a labor hero who stages a successful workers' strike in that episode, but no please tell me how the Simpsons are petty bourg because they ate a lobster once

I've checked, they own a refrigerator too

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Depending which Springfield they are in they could even get lobster for cheap(er than most other regions can)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pinchy the lobster was in season 10, which is a Bad Season (meaning after season 8)

He is one (1) lobster; there are five (5) Simpsons, four of whom did not receive a lobster

Homer purchasing this lobster was a major plot point for the episode in question, indicating that the purchase of lobster is not a regular occurrence for the Simpson family and in fact had probably never happened before based on Homer's attitude toward Pinchy

The current market rate for a 1.25-pound live lobster is $17.49 (in 2018 dollars)

In conclusion, Pinchy the lobster does not ipso facto make the Simpsons upper-middle class, QED

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Look, we have just been through this. There is no "middle class". There are exactly two and only two classes: the Jets and the Sharks.

Homer is a Jet and Marge is from a Shark neighborhood and that's why their extended families routinely have dancefight wars.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

This is why they're always so big on adding the "and you can keep your current plan!" provision; it's something that's gonna be demanded by the main supporters of things like "Medicare Extra," and literally every person these folks know probably lives a similar life where they have access to good plans through their employers.

edit: Though honestly, even as someone with really good insurance (because I work at a public university), I still strongly dislike the cost sharing, and I'm pretty sure pretty much all private insurance has that to some extent. Like, $30 or $40 is not trivial (and that's ignoring the possibility of higher costs being charged later), and it deters me from seeking care unless I'm pretty sure something is serious or definitely needs treatment. Though I guess copays and the like don't matter if you're some professional making $90k a year or whatever.

I'm on a low-deductible low-copay plan through FEHB and yeah, both the copay and the taking time off of work enter into not seeking care.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

Homer is literally a labor hero who stages a successful workers' strike in that episode, but no please tell me how the Simpsons are petty bourg because they ate a lobster once

Holy poo poo dude, it was mostly a joke post about the Grimes episode.

I should have added *sniff sniff* before the lobster part to make it more obvious.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtELmz-MVvU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, how does the unpaid space communist military fit into Marx's dialectic of class? I'm trying to decide if Ben and Jake Sisko count as working class or not. (Rom and Nog ABSOLUTELY do.)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

I've checked, they own a refrigerator too

oh i was just making a joke about two separate topics in the thread i don't have any strong opinion on the simpsons beyond when it started going to poo poo

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

loquacius posted:

Pinchy the lobster was in season 10, which is a Bad Season (meaning after season 8)

He is one (1) lobster; there are five (5) Simpsons, four of whom did not receive a lobster

Homer purchasing this lobster was a major plot point for the episode in question, indicating that the purchase of lobster is not a regular occurrence for the Simpson family and in fact had probably never happened before based on Homer's attitude toward Pinchy

The current market rate for a 1.25-pound live lobster is $17.49 (in 2018 dollars)

In conclusion, Pinchy the lobster does not ipso facto make the Simpsons upper-middle class, QED

frank grimes episode is the real lobster reference, but i like this post anyway

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Holy poo poo dude, it was mostly a joke post about the Grimes episode.

I should have added *sniff sniff* before the lobster part to make it more obvious.

I'm not actually mad, I'm just online Simpsons mad :tipshat:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

people think it's just a goofy cartoon but it's approx. 5% exaggeration of southern appalachia and piedmont

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm on a low-deductible low-copay plan through FEHB and yeah, both the copay and the taking time off of work enter into not seeking care.

Yeah, I forgot the issue of taking time off work; I'm actually exceptionally privileged in that regard, because my work is very lax and it's easy for me to take off for things like that with short notice (though it's kinda in exchange for the considerably lower compensation of working at a public university lol).

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

it is outrageous to me that you are talking about pinchy the lobster when it is clearly a reference to homer's enemy

turn in your badge and gun, your simpsons credentials are revoked

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

it is outrageous to me that you are talking about pinchy the lobster when it is clearly a reference to homer's enemy

turn in your badge and gun, your simpsons credentials are revoked

HOW DARE YOU DEFEND FAMILY GUY YOU LANYARD

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
There are obviously some episodes, particularly in the real early seasons where the family is a victim of class struggles and the working class roots of the family are thoughtfully explored. But the vast majority of Simpsons episodes, even if you stop at season 10, throw all that out the window to fit the wacky adventure of the week so Homer can become an astronaut, snow plower, proffesional boxer, manage a musician or whatever.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
The most non-working class thing the Simpsons displays is that Homer keeps getting his powerplant job back after quitting/being fired/losing it/dying/etc.

It's also the most unrealistic thing but at least he has basically a guarantee based on fate and plot to get his job back.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

The Nastier Nate posted:

There are obviously some episodes, particularly in the real early seasons where the family is a victim of class struggles and the working class roots of the family are thoughtfully explored. But the vast majority of Simpsons episodes, even if you stop at season 10, throw all that out the window to fit the wacky adventure of the week so Homer can become an astronaut, snow plower, proffesional boxer, manage a musician or whatever.

those bourgeois snow plowers

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Obligatory Simpsons video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

punk rebel ecks posted:

My co-workers (who tend to be older and white) can't stop going off how much they like their premium insurance plans and how much they dislike Medicaid. They even rank hospitals. Like saying Kaiser Permanente is the worst one ever.

hey at least your area has a kaiser hospital. before they built one in Modesto everyone with their insurance had to be carted hours away to the nearest one unless they were bleeding out or else the claims got denied

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

ssssuuuuUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK

feel like we’re gonna be seein this poll a lot

gently caress that, Forced Medicare For All

you have no choice, you WILL see doctors for free, gently caress you

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

if you ever attempt to pay a doctor government agents will show up at your door and slap you right in the loving mouth

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did my brain make this up or did they seriously try to make "Time Kaine is your cool step-dad" a thing during the election?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'm trying to think of successful network tv shows that depicted a working class family in my lifetime and I've come up with 3:

Married with Children
Roseanne
Malcom in the Middle

the trend after that has been upper-middle class families so there's definitely an audience for Roseanne out there.
Bob's Burgers is very explicitly about a working-class family.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ThndrShk2k posted:

The most non-working class thing the Simpsons displays is that Homer keeps getting his powerplant job back after quitting/being fired/losing it/dying/etc.

It's also the most unrealistic thing but at least he has basically a guarantee based on fate and plot to get his job back.
You think that's bad, nobody in that family ever gets any older.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Did my brain make this up or did they seriously try to make "Time Kaine is your cool step-dad" a thing during the election?

sounds familiar enough but i couldn't tell you for certain which is weird because he's just so memorable

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bob's Burgers is very explicitly about a working-class family.

It's also the best one.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

You think that's bad, nobody in that family ever gets any older.

Bart had a birthday once. The well episode was one of the all-time best.

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

It's also the best one.

Malcolm in the Middle was great too.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://medium.com/@candiceaiston/twitter-is-a-cesspool-of-white-male-toxicity-and-im-done-with-it-85d5d55ca140

Candice Aiston, she of "replaced her own face with Hillary's face in her avi" fame, quits twitter with a loving War and Peace essay to go out on

numerous incredible self-owns in here*

*not that you should read the whole thing, but worth a skim to where she insists an asian person is white for 30 loving tweets. She included this in her own "i'm not owned, i'm not owned" essay

emdash has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Mar 28, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Much Apu About Nothing aired in 1996; this is $565.07 in 2017 dollars (the most up-to-date I could find)

just doin the needful :tipshat:

It's after taxes though, dunno about his gross pay

emdash posted:

https://medium.com/@candiceaiston/twitter-is-a-cesspool-of-white-male-toxicity-and-im-done-with-it-85d5d55ca140

Candice Aiston, she of "replaced her own face with Hillary's face in her avi" fame, quits twitter with a loving War and Peace essay to go out on

numerous incredible self-owns in here

I thought she got banned

Well anyway, I'm not reading this but I'd appreciate some highlights pls and TIA

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Homer keeps his family fed by feeding the Russians information on the nuclear power plant

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

loquacius posted:

Much Apu About Nothing aired in 1996; this is $565.07 in 2017 dollars (the most up-to-date I could find)

just doin the needful :tipshat:

It's after taxes though, dunno about his gross pay

well it has the taxes right there so you can add the numbers together to get the gross number

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

loquacius posted:

I thought she got banned

Well anyway, I'm not reading this but I'd appreciate some highlights pls and TIA

she's suspended with a pending appeal, yeah, but the point of her screed is to indicate she won't be back even if the appeal is successful

another highlight: she willingly admits to having blocked 5,000 people, one at a time. "never used a blocking app"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wait the taxes are right there on the check and I'm dumb

ok that's $479.60 gross per week, $24,939.20 per year. $38,908.65 in 2017 dollars, before taxes. Simpsons poor as poo poo y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

emdash posted:

another highlight: she willingly admits to having blocked 5,000 people, one at a time. "never used a blocking app"

*extremely normal person voice*

• Locked thread