Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Senor P. posted:

So... l am thinking about buying a truck for hauling cars around and possibly a trailer. (No 5th wheel, probably travel trailer.)

I am looking at a used diesel in the neighborhood of around 15k. (2002-2003 7.3, or possibly a 2006-2007 6.0.)

But I have been thinking about the gas F-150s. They cost about half as much.

As cool are diesel's are it seems like the folks I know who own one are constantly having to have work down on them.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2002_All.pdf

Does AI have any insight to offer?
(A 5000lb car plus a 2000lb trailer would probably be getting close to maxing out an F-150 I imagine.)

What do the AI regulars use for hauling? Always an automatic or does anyone have a low geared/high ratio manual?

Diesel van?

You can get a used 3500 express in decent shape for pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

builds character posted:

Diesel van?

You can get a used 3500 express in decent shape for pretty cheap.

Hmmm you are right they are pretty cheap. But how difficult are those 5 cylinder engines to maintain?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Senor P. posted:

Hmmm you are right they are pretty cheap. But how difficult are those 5 cylinder engines to maintain?

I don’t know nothing about diesels. According to my uncle who works at nintendois a mechanic, they’re good but I really have no idea.

E: if you’re in a big city you can usually find a shop that services all the plumber and glass guys vans for a lot cheaper than you might otherwise.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
2001 Mazda Protege. First gear seems kind of finnicky. Won't go above like 4-5mph so the car needs to almost immediately be shifted up to second gear even at like, parking lot speeds. Something possibly easily fixable? Indicative of a large problem? Or just a symptom of an older car?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What happens if you try to go over 5 mph? What RPM are you at when this happens? Is the check engine light on?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Got new rotors/pads put my car. Noticed that there seemed to be some noise rolling, but stupidly did not turn around. Parked my car at work, and I smell burnt brake, and the left front wheel area is scorching hot. How loving bad is my mechanic?

I will have about 40 miles on this before I get it back in the shop. Any chance my new rotor or pad will be hosed?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

gvibes posted:

Got new rotors/pads put my car. Noticed that there seemed to be some noise rolling, but stupidly did not turn around. Parked my car at work, and I smell burnt brake, and the left front wheel area is scorching hot. How loving bad is my mechanic?

I will have about 40 miles on this before I get it back in the shop. Any chance my new rotor or pad will be hosed?

It's probably already too late for it - the rotor probably turned blue after overheating. The shop may have forgotten to lube the caliper sliders, or installed something crooked. They should replace the parts when you go back.

They might tell you that you have a bad caliper. If they do try this, tell them to replace the pads and rotor for free under their warranty, and install the caliper - they cover labor and you just pay for the part. They didn't properly diagnose it up front, it's a more than fair offer from you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All my life I just assumed you replaced the entire wiper blade, but now I'm hearing you should just replace the rubber insert, not just because it's cheaper but because the OEM blade better fits the curve of your windshield and is less likely to lift off at high speeds. Is that actually true?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I got a stupid question. 1) what is a Prius battery pack, and what does it do exactly?

2) is $2,800 an unreasonable price to replace it?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

All my life I just assumed you replaced the entire wiper blade, but now I'm hearing you should just replace the rubber insert, not just because it's cheaper but because the OEM blade better fits the curve of your windshield and is less likely to lift off at high speeds. Is that actually true?

I've never even seen only the rubber for sale

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

tactlessbastard posted:

Depends on the vehicle, but there are definitely blades that you can replace the rubber insert only.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

tactlessbastard posted:

That's more for older stuff. My Nova has metal wiper bodies so it just needs the "refills." Last time I asked at an Autozone they didn't even carry them anymore.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sazabi posted:

I got a stupid question. 1) what is a Prius battery pack, and what does it do exactly?

2) is $2,800 an unreasonable price to replace it?

It's what provides power to the hybrid parts of the car.

Quick Google search would indicate "yes, unreasonable." I'm seeing ads for packs installed for under $2k.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tactlessbastard posted:

It used to be pretty common to replace just the inserts, but I haven't seen the rubber inserts in parts stores in... poo poo.. 15-20 years?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My mom's 08ish 4Runner has inserts available. I've had to change them. She probably got them from the dealer.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It used to be pretty common to replace just the inserts, but I haven't seen the rubber inserts in parts stores in... poo poo.. 15-20 years?

Surely not that long. I bought refills for my old No-...

gently caress.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought these fancy Bosch all-in-one swiper wiper dealie things for the Crown Vic and they are awesome.

I kept buying $3-4 cheap ones for the VW bus and beetle because the sun baked the poo poo out of any wipers I put on there in six months anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I bought these fancy Bosch all-in-one swiper wiper dealie things for the Crown Vic and they are awesome.

I kept buying $3-4 cheap ones for the VW bus and beetle because the sun baked the poo poo out of any wipers I put on there in six months anyway.
Everyone says Bosch is the best, but $44 to replace my front wipers is a lot. The Rain-X washer fluid I use makes the water bead off super well on the highway. It's just at lower speeds and city driving where I get water smearing more than wiping.

Meanwhile, Home Depot has Rain-X Weatherbeater for $9/wiper which is cheaper than anywhere I'll be able to find a refills/inserts. I know super cheap wipers like Anco might not be great, but surely even a cheap Rain-X is good.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 28, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I got mine for $11/wiper at Costco but even $22 is insane compared to $8.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I got mine for $11/wiper at Costco but even $22 is insane compared to $8.
These generic versions of Bosch Icons have the same design and similar rating, I'll probably go with them: https://www.amazon.com/QUALITY-Premium-All-Season-Windshield-Blades/dp/B01CLNIMHQ

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 28, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have whatever the cheapest possible Bosch blades currently are on my car right now (MY GF bought them when the wipers chattering kept drowning me out on bluetooth calls).

I think they were around $9/ea? In any event, no more chattering, but they're streaking less than 2 months in (probably from the small chip in the windshield tearing the wiper as it passes over).

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Geoj posted:

It's what provides power to the hybrid parts of the car.

Quick Google search would indicate "yes, unreasonable." I'm seeing ads for packs installed for under $2k.

Thank you.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tactlessbastard posted:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's more for older stuff. My Nova has metal wiper bodies so it just needs the "refills." Last time I asked at an Autozone they didn't even carry them anymore.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I needed to replace the blade inserts on my '66 Bonneville. There is no way to mount a modern plastic blade-set (blade & holder) into the wiper arm. There is a weak aftermarket for old poo poo like this, but they wanted over $50 each for the blades.

I did a fair bit of research, which involved taking my old Trico blade & holder off of the car & hitting Autozone, etc. The offerings were pretty much the same at all locations. I found a blade-set of the correct length and was able to remove the blade from the plastic holder and adapt the Pontiac''s metal Trico holder to hold the blade (it involved bending the holder's side tabs out a bit to accomodate the plastic rail of the new blade); there is a metal snap clip at one end of the old Trico blade I had to remove to act as a retainer on the new blade. So far, it works fine,

Basically: you can buy a modern blade-set, and, with some work, tear it apart to free the blade & adapt it to your holder. It will take some experimentation.

I did the same thing for the tiny wipers on my '94 e320 headlight blades. They wanted $75 a pair. I cut down the smallest, cheapest 12" blade I could find, to make two. Cost about $9.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I have never done a full coolant change and the MS6 is overdue. Best guide to follow? Or should i have a shop do it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have found several times that wiper blades that seemed to be worn out were actually just crusted with dirt. This might be obvious but definitely get a rag and some soapy water and aggressively wipe off the crust on the rubber parts of your blades before you decide they're toast.

Senor P. posted:

Probably not that often, maybe 1-2 times per year.

Plenty of parts and reliability are what I am after.

There might be other reasons to own the truck you want (like, you just want one) but I usually tell people not to buy a vehicle for a 2x a year purpose when you can just rent one. The cost is vastly lower.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

So I have never done a full coolant change and the MS6 is overdue. Best guide to follow? Or should i have a shop do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s--5ft5YiHg

Really the hardest part is going to be figuring out the process your car wants/needs in order to fully bleed out the system. I don't recall the MS3 being particularly painful in this regard, at least, but the MS6 could be very different in that regard.

If your coolant isn't super nasty, I'd probably skip the chemical cleaner and just do some distilled water cycles as needed. Can you at least get the coolant for it in full strength instead of 50/50?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Leperflesh posted:

I have found several times that wiper blades that seemed to be worn out were actually just crusted with dirt. This might be obvious but definitely get a rag and some soapy water and aggressively wipe off the crust on the rubber parts of your blades before you decide they're toast.

When I go through a drive through car wash, I'll run the wipers as the car is being sprayed by soap, water etc.

Nearly ten yeas I've had that car, and only on the third set of blades.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can you at least get the coolant for it in full strength instead of 50/50?

I don't know. I think I may just have the dealership do it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I honestly can't remember what coolant I used for the MS3. I think I might've just cheaped out and gone with the green "all brands" Prestone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This isn't normal, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlaI74We8I

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That it’s slightly not level?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That there's a slight wobble when unloaded doesn't matter much. If it wobbled like that with a car sitting on it, there would be a problem.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That it’s slightly not level?
Yeah, that it rocks back and forth. That seems... unsafe? Once you put a load on it, it will chose one of the corners and stay there, but then you're losing 1/4 of your support legs.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 29, 2018

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I honestly can't remember what coolant I used for the MS3. I think I might've just cheaped out and gone with the green "all brands" Prestone.

Pretty sure mine had pink stuff in it, I think the Zerex Asian would be the one to use.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Read the manual. Colors are completely meaningless now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Godholio posted:

Read the manual. Colors are completely meaningless now.

Tell that to Mazda, they stress you have to use their special moon coolant.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I think he means incompatible coolants can be the same color now, not that you can use anything anywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Manual says to only use this Mazda Coolant FL22 - Mazda (0000-77-508E-20). $25 a jug, not horrible.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I think I managed to gently caress up the most fundamental of all car repairs. No big surprise to me.

I've got a flat tire on my truck sitting in the garage. I forgot the most basic poo poo, and I removed the lug nuts first (all but 1, took me 4 of them to finally remember). When I got the truck in the air, and removed the last lug nut I had on - The wheel would not come off.
I've tried pulling the wheel from several angles, but it just seems stuck on there, not budging.

Is this because I removed the lug nuts first? Is the weight of the truck resting on the wheel somehow in the air, and without lugs, causing it to sieze the wheel onto the truck?
If that's the case, I can probably just get them back on, and try doing it again the right way.
If not, I've got a stuck wheel with a flat tire. In any case, it's pitch black dark out, and the light in my garage doesn't let me see anything right now. So I've got to try again in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dennis McClaren posted:

I think I managed to gently caress up the most fundamental of all car repairs. No big surprise to me.

I've got a flat tire on my truck sitting in the garage. I forgot the most basic poo poo, and I removed the lug nuts first (all but 1, took me 4 of them to finally remember). When I got the truck in the air, and removed the last lug nut I had on - The wheel would not come off.
I've tried pulling the wheel from several angles, but it just seems stuck on there, not budging.

Is this because I removed the lug nuts first? Is the weight of the truck resting on the wheel somehow in the air, and without lugs, causing it to sieze the wheel onto the truck?
If that's the case, I can probably just get them back on, and try doing it again the right way.
If not, I've got a stuck wheel with a flat tire. In any case, it's pitch black dark out, and the light in my garage doesn't let me see anything right now. So I've got to try again in the morning.

The wheel is probably just rusted to the hub. Support the car on jack stands, get under it and give the wheel a few good kicks.