Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TKIY posted:

So can anyone with Necron codex actually confirm if Deathmarks and Lychguard are troops or elites?

They're Elites on their datasheet but listed as Troops in the points section rn. They'll be erratad immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Hey nerds. With the recent talk regarding Dork Angles and such I thought you should know that Humble Bundle is running a Warhammer book bundle right now.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Deathmarks are also elites as per the leaked codex.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

New dark elder teaser is neat. How relevant are the leadership modifiers in actual practice?

I vaguely recall when I played more than a decade ago that it mattered very little. But i basically only played against space marines?

I’m comparing it to my warhammer fantasy experience where Ld mattered a ton.

Something I spotted earlier is that DE run with Craftworlds and/or Harlequins can stack a very substantial number of leadership debuffs together. Combine enough of them onto an enemy character and you can realistically drop them to Ld1-2 before using Mind War for a ton of mortal wounds. Enough to be a serious threat even to characters like Gulliman.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

xtothez posted:

Something I spotted earlier is that DE run with Craftworlds and/or Harlequins can stack a very substantial number of leadership debuffs together. Combine enough of them onto an enemy character and you can realistically drop them to Ld1-2 before using Mind War for a ton of mortal wounds. Enough to be a serious threat even to characters like Gulliman.

CWE can pull a -2 guaranteed, an additional -1 with Horrify. That take Gilly to 7, if you use DE and drop to 4 you'd be starting at +5 and doing between 0 and 15 MW.

Wow.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Booyah- posted:

Deathmarks are also elites as per the leaked codex.

No the point is that they hosed up, it says elite on the datasheet and troops in the points section. Everyone is pretty sure the points section is wrong but GW editing. If you want to be a RAW rear end in a top hat you can argue it either way.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

General Olloth posted:

No the point is that they hosed up, it says elite on the datasheet and troops in the points section. Everyone is pretty sure the points section is wrong but GW editing. If you want to be a RAW rear end in a top hat you can argue it either way.

Ah my mistake.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Booyah- posted:

Ah my mistake.

Yeah they tried out a new? formatting for the points section where they broke it down by unit type, and they put Lychguard and Deathmarks in the Troops heading.

I do like the new format a lot better for looking up units but someone hosed it up so of course it's actually worse now. :eng99:

I thought maybe it was just a case of old bad leaks because the date said october last edit, but its 100% the same as a physical book I watched a guy flip through on youtube including the error so oh well.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Boon posted:

CWE can pull a -2 guaranteed, an additional -1 with Horrify. That take Gilly to 7, if you use DE and drop to 4 you'd be starting at +5 and doing between 0 and 15 MW.

Wow.

holy poo poo

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Z the IVth posted:

If you've got pure solvent glue you don't even need to scrape, it will bond everything including the paint into one solid mass.

Yeah you do. Paint weakens a poly cement bond.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Playing against a guy this afternoon - his first game since 3rd edition.

Can you guys let me know if the list i'm taking is going to be too harsh against his? 1000 point game.

His List:

quote:

Ultramarines
HQ: Captain in Gravis Armor x 2

Troops: Intercessor Squad (5) x3

Fast: Inceptors (3)

Heavy: Hellblasters (5)

My List:

quote:

Stygies VIII
HQ: Tech-Priest Dominus x 2

Troops: Skitarii Rangers (8), Vanguard (5) Arc Rifle, Vanguard (5) Arc Rifle, Vanguard (10) Plasma Caliver

Elites: Cybernetica Datasmith

Heavy: Kastelan Robots x 2

LoW: Armiger Warglaive

I'm assuming he's most likely going to wreck my Vanguard, and all I'll have left is my robots. I don't want to blow him out of the water.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Correction: 0 and 10 with an average of 5 - but still - you could one-shot Gilly with items that you would normally take in a CWE list and whatever DE you need to make that happen.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Boon posted:

Correction: 0 and 10 with an average of 5 - but still - you could one-shot Gilly with items that you would normally take in a CWE list and whatever DE you need to make that happen.

Remember swooping hawks and biel tan add +1 ld!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Can you guys let me know if the list i'm taking is going to be too harsh against his? 1000 point game.

His List:

My List:

I'm assuming he's most likely going to wreck my Vanguard, and all I'll have left is my robots. I don't want to blow him out of the water.

He's going to really struggle against your tougher units. I don't know that your list is too hard, necessarily, but I do think it would be less fun for him than a game against something more infantry heavy. Like, once his hellblasters are gone he doesn't have anything left to do much damage to the Armiger or the Kastelans.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Thanqol posted:

Remember swooping hawks and biel tan add +1 ld!

Just to Aspect Warriors I think, Farseer won't benefit.

I did use the Hemlock/Mind War combo to deal 5 MW on a Custodes bike Captain in one of my Adepticon games - that was super sweet.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I just caught myself smiling as I read the Deldar's new Strats.

They've actually made the fluff translate into good rules. Amazing.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Boon posted:

Just to Aspect Warriors I think, Farseer won't benefit.

I did use the Hemlock/Mind War combo to deal 5 MW on a Custodes bike Captain in one of my Adepticon games - that was super sweet.

Confirmed no LD buff on farseers in Biel Tan. It was originally spoiled as +1Ld global and I for one am sad that the cowards on the design team didn’t let BT farseers be slightly better at mind punching people.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Pendent posted:

He's going to really struggle against your tougher units. I don't know that your list is too hard, necessarily, but I do think it would be less fun for him than a game against something more infantry heavy. Like, once his hellblasters are gone he doesn't have anything left to do much damage to the Armiger or the Kastelans.

I have to agree. If you're playing it well I see him trading off a bunch of infantry with yours, you focusing his plasma and thenhim not having anything to touch your robots.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Also today I ran the Avatar of Khaine in a game. He was about as disappointing for 250 points as expected. Charged a Nurgle daemon Prince. Left it alive on one wound. Got killed in two rounds of punch back. The fact that he doesn’t have anything like advance and charge, and has none of tags needed to let him be quickened or use the Biel Tan strategem is just depressing. I got briefly very excited after I mis-positioned him after forgetting he couldn’t be quickened when I saw he had the “Aspect Warrior” tag, but then remembered you have to have an Exarch for the strat.

Like, the fearless bubble was good - it let a unit of 20 guardians with fortune and protect on tarpit half an army for two turns, which probably won me the game in the long run, but other mechanisms exist to achieve that sort of thing. 250 points...my shining spears even failed a re-rolled 6 inch charge within his bubble to add insult to injury. A charge into that fricking daemon prince no less.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

It is, but because his list is anemic rather than yours being particularly nasty, its short like 150 points if absolutely nothing else.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Milotic posted:

They’re also boring lore wise so it’s consistent. Custodes only more boring faction.

A galaxy-spanning VIP protection service acting on the psychic commands of a demigod: "boring".

You heard it here first, folks.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
From the 40k resources y'all linked me with earlier, mortal wounds ignore armor and invul saves. So 0-10 MW seem hecking good.

It seems weird that CWE and DE would be in the same army. Is that allowed in tournaments? Is it generally frowned upon in casual as "cheesy"? Is there a fluff reason why the two eldar would team up to fight!!! ?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

From the 40k resources y'all linked me with earlier, mortal wounds ignore armor and invul saves. So 0-10 MW seem hecking good.

It seems weird that CWE and DE would be in the same army. Is that allowed in tournaments? Is it generally frowned upon in casual as "cheesy"? Is there a fluff reason why the two eldar would team up to fight!!! ?

All 8th ed units have a set of faction keywords. Every unit in your army has to share one of these, and some of them are quite broad. “Imperium”, “Chaos” and “Aeldari” (which covers all three Eldar factions) are the broad ones. You sort your units into detachments, and generally get bonuses if a whole detachment shares a single more specific keyword (you get some bonuses if all units in a detachment are Craftworlds, and even more if they’re all Biel Tan).

This means you can field an Aeldari army that has, for example, one “Biel Tan” detachment of Craftworld Eldar and one “Cabal of the Black Heart” detachment of Dark Eldar.

This is 100% rules as written and intended. As to whether it’s cheesy, millions of posts have been written on the internet arguing that.

For my money, mixing and matching in a pick up game for pure advantage is slightly eyebrow raising, fine if there’s a good fluff reason or you’re trying to do something fun (for example, mix and match dark angels and space wolves so you can use the awesome ritual duel strategem). From a tournament perspective, I wouldn’t be sorry to see a rules change that dialled it back a bit, but as long as it’s the rules it’s fair play.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is that allowed in tournaments?

Yes, Aeldari is a unifying keyword. See also: Imperial/Chaos soup.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is it generally frowned upon in casual as "cheesy"?

Yes, but Waac'ers gonna Waac

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a fluff reason why the two eldar would team up to fight!!! ?

Maybe. Ynnari bullshit is generally involved.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

One_Wing posted:

From a tournament perspective, I wouldn’t be sorry to see a rules change that dialled it back a bit, but as long as it’s the rules it’s fair play.

At a tournament I'm playing in in July, there's a rule in the players pack that just says 'Detachment unifying keyword cannot be 'Chaos, Imperial or Aeldari only'

I'm looking forward to it.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Schadenboner posted:

A galaxy-spanning VIP protection service acting on the psychic commands of a demigod: "boring".

You heard it here first, folks.

When you put it like that, it just makes it even more impressive how boring they managed to make them

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Golly, well I accept it but no sir I don't like it. Then again I have no idea wtf ynnari are other than some dope models.

Thanks for information as always you friendly goons~

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There’s an entire army faction dedicated to “united eldar”, the Ynnari, and you should be done taking them in tournaments in separate detachments even if you’re not running Ynnari.

As far as fluff - as I recently learned, they’re not as antagonistic to each other as you might think. Underneath it all they’re both massively racist space elves who are both deeply opposed to Slaanesh if nothing else, and recent events have pretty much forced them to come together to push back against the powers of Chaos in general.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Yeast posted:

At a tournament I'm playing in in July, there's a rule in the players pack that just says 'Detachment unifying keyword cannot be 'Chaos, Imperial or Aeldari only'

I'm looking forward to it.

Detachment or army? As long as Custodes bikes are as they currently are, being able to tap in a supreme command of them will be a problem if the army can still be Imperium unified.

I’ve seen the rule done and it’s probably the cleanest fix for now, though it does make me sad that it shuts out some options for fielding agents of the inquisition style Imperium armies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PantsOptional posted:

There’s an entire army faction dedicated to “united eldar”, the Ynnari, and you should be done taking them in tournaments in separate detachments even if you’re not running Ynnari.

As far as fluff - as I recently learned, they’re not as antagonistic to each other as you might think. Underneath it all they’re both massively racist space elves who are both deeply opposed to Slaanesh if nothing else, and recent events have pretty much forced them to come together to push back against the powers of Chaos in general.

Yeah it's a pretty different relationship to the Dark and High Elves in Fantasy. Who hate each other more then anything else. The Dark Elves notably having always been partially willing to work with the forces of chaos, while the Dark Eldar would never do anything of the sort.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Recent fluff; the God Of Pyrrhic Victory craftworld eldar have been working on has half-awoken, in an easily punked state but still living proof that their idea might work. Deldar are the way they are mainly by a combination of not being willing to give up the abuse that created Slaanesh in the first place + needing to dial up the abuse forever to avoid getting feasted, so the idea of killing Slaan is appealing (beforehand they brushed it off as silly optimism for a bad situation).

The alliance was further established by the Harlequin (punk eldar who aren't racist and actually do useful poo poo, worships a trollling god, one of only two eldar gods to survive because he wasnt an idiot) and their floating Library of Knowitall.

If you dont like the idea of the space fey holding hands there's fluff for that too; even in his physical form Ynnead is still pretty weak (he gets owned by a chaos sorceror under Ahriman), and some Deldar (conveniently the ones with power and influence in Commoragh) aren't convinced that he'll ever become strong enough to take on Slaanesh.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it's a pretty different relationship to the Dark and High Elves in Fantasy. Who hate each other more then anything else. The Dark Elves notably having always been partially willing to work with the forces of chaos, while the Dark Eldar would never do anything of the sort.

TBF this is only because they're poo poo-scared of the daemons basically narcing on them to Slaanesh; if it werent for the whole "she wants to eat our immortal souls" part Deldar would absolutely love her.

Iirc unless anything new has changed Dark Elves dont really exist anymore; Malekith survived into the Sigmar universe and finally achieved his dream of becoming the godlike leader of the elves, so despite looking like Literal Satan he's still pretty chill and into the whole Order alliance stuff. I guess dark elves exist, but they're just Elves now.

E: pic of Totally Good Guy Now Malekith in AoS, he vents his evil frustrations by torturing an inprisoned Slaanesh.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 28, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Granted I never really got into Drew Carries but isn't their constant murder-loving of others directly empowering to she-who-hungers (via the experiences of their victims getting hot chainsword-knitting needles shoved up their asses or whatever), additionally bringing her attention to they who bring her such exquisite agonies?

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 28, 2018

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, in Fantasy Delves and Helves are different because they hate each other. It's 100% a cultural split. In 40k, the Eldar race had a cataclysmic apocalypse ten millenia ago that steals their souls and the different groups just reacted differently to it. It's more of a vegans vs pescaterians vs ovo-lacto vegetarians thing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

Granted I never really got into Drew Carries but isn't their constant murder-loving of others directly empowering to she-who-hungers (via the victims getting hot chainsword-knitting needles shoved up their asses or whatever), additionally bringing her attention to they who bring her such exquisite agonies?

:shrug:

Nah its protection money essentially.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neurolimal posted:

Recent fluff; the God Of Pyrrhic Victory craftworld eldar have been working on has half-awoken, in an easily punked state but still living proof that their idea might work. Deldar are the way they are mainly by a combination of not being willing to give up the abuse that created Slaanesh in the first place + needing to dial up the abuse forever to avoid getting feasted, so the idea of killing Slaan is appealing (beforehand they brushed it off as silly optimism for a bad situation).

The alliance was further established by the Harlequin (punk eldar who aren't racist and actually do useful poo poo, worships a trollling god, one of only two eldar gods to survive because he wasnt an idiot) and their floating Library of Knowitall.

If you dont like the idea of the space fey holding hands there's fluff for that too; even in his physical form Ynnead is still pretty weak (he gets owned by a chaos sorceror under Ahriman), and some Deldar (conveniently the ones with power and influence in Commoragh) aren't convinced that he'll ever become strong enough to take on Slaanesh.

Namely the Haemonculus Covens are the only type of Eldar that have universally refused to help out Ynnead. As a result they are the only type of units that can't be taken in a Ynnari army.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Harlequins roll with any of the other big kindreds, and usually play the role of mediators when there are efforts to pull disparate eldar factions together

craftworlders and drukhari find each other distasteful but have nothing comparable to the emnity between high and dark elves in old fantasy. against common threats, like the Thousand Sons/daemons or Necrons breaking into the Webway, or other forces trying to despoil a maiden world in realspace, it's not particularly surprising to see them collaborating. whatever other factors might be in play, the drukhari can usually be bribed into fighting whoever alongside whoever if there's plenty of slaves to take and pain to inflict

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neurolimal posted:

TBF this is only because they're poo poo-scared of the daemons basically narcing on them to Slaanesh; if it werent for the whole "she wants to eat our immortal souls" part Deldar would absolutely love her.

Iirc unless anything new has changed Dark Elves dont really exist anymore; Malekith survived into the Sigmar universe and finally achieved his dream of becoming the godlike leader of the elves, so despite looking like Literal Satan he's still pretty chill and into the whole Order alliance stuff. I guess dark elves exist, but they're just Elves now.

Actually it turns out Malekith is still an rear end in a top hat. From a recent story that is the first we have heard of him since the start of Age of Sigmar. https://malignportents.com/story/a-rescued-soul/

More or less he is plotting evilly with Morathi, while insulting Sigmar and conspiring against Tryion and Teclis. (Also feeding an Elven soul back to Slaanesh when they think it might have overheard their plotting.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 28, 2018

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah you do. Paint weakens a poly cement bond.

Only if you've overpainted the area heavily. If all you have is some primer, most of it will brush off with the glue.

FWIW the glue I'm referring to is less 'glue' and more 'industrial paint stripper'. So this digression is probably irrelevant :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

getting hot chainsword-knitting needles shoved up their asses

Mods plz do the needful, &c. &c.