Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol i used to tell people that the streets there are so hosed because city council hates low riders

or sedans with normal ground clearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

One time in phx i had a couple roommates and we were partying down and then everybody went to bed except me and my girl. we were just hanging out in the living room and heard this horrible crash. we were both like hmmmm we should check that out but we were too lazy and wasted so we said gently caress it and went to bed. in the morning we found out somebody broke the windows and basically stole the whole interior of my mate's integra. he was a dick anyway though so i didn't feel too bad about it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
a bit unrelated but i was just reminiscing about all of the crazy poo poo i used to see when i lived in a student-y part of town, right by a railroad crossing on a busy-rear end street. one day, amtrak comes rolling through so the gates start to come down over the multi-lane road and traffic starts coming to its usual stop, all except for this one dipshit in some fuckoff huge suburban or some such thing. at first he was trying to beat the gate, but he realized at the last minute that he wouldn't be able to clear the tracks in time, so he stops short enough to avoid getting hit by the train, but the gate arm still slammed down on his hood. the guy jumps out of his SUV, hopping mad, and starts yelling at the train. at the end of the last train car, there's an amtrak staffer leaning out of an open door--i assume to help make sure nothing crazy is going on during the crossing. irate driver sees the train guy, and starts screaming at him. train guy looks at the scene and just shrugs his shoulders at the driver as he passes by and the train continued on its merry way.

had a hearty laugh over that one.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh, they also tried to steal the crappy old cd player (this was 2003 and it was still probably worth like $15 at most), and when they failed to do so they took the faceplate anyway and appeared to have smashed or stabbed the head unit with a screwdriver or something. in a way i found that more frustrating than having it completely stolen, because as it was my stepdad and i half-assed the installation (being that this was a crappy old ~84 Chevy Cavalier) and in fact when we went to remove the broken unit it practically just pulled right out in our hands without much effort at all; how many loving cans of Hamm's do you have to smash against your forehead to fail so hard at stealing a goddamn CD player?

when i was in dc someone tried to break into my car with a brick. i say tried because they missed twice and hit the body while only hitting the passenger side window once, failing to break it. i guess they gave up after that. i was more pissed at how lovely a burglar they were more than anything

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my only theft stories are like someone unsuccessfully trying to force the lock on my garage at an old apartment (i mean you could probably pick the thing pretty easily and you would just need a tool that would give enough torsion to turn the lock, but no just scraping it up with a screwdriver might work)

somebody also stole a badge off of my car for some reason

i assume both of those things might have just been dumb children

then there was the time some man-child tried to shoot someone he was having an argument with through the window in the apartment next to mine; that was a fun way to get woken up at like 2AM; also I was glad that I was the apartment next to them rather than across from them which had their windows shot out and some nice new holes in their ceilings/walls

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Rex-Goliath posted:

when i was in dc someone tried to break into my car with a brick. i say tried because they missed twice and hit the body while only hitting the passenger side window once, failing to break it. i guess they gave up after that. i was more pissed at how lovely a burglar they were more than anything

what kind of inept car loot thief doesn't know about ninja rocks??

smh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep posted:

someone stole my car battery once :/

i just pop the hood and steal the spark plugs

no one ever sees that coming

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

put fish sauce in the air intake

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
fresh deets on uber's arizona shenanigans. they paid good money for that governor!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/DeanCSmith/status/977286282991755264

tsla dropped 12% on the news

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

muckswirler posted:

One time in phx i had a couple roommates and we were partying down and then everybody went to bed except me and my girl. we were just hanging out in the living room and heard this horrible crash. we were both like hmmmm we should check that out but we were too lazy and wasted so we said gently caress it and went to bed. in the morning we found out somebody broke the windows and basically stole the whole interior of my mate's integra. he was a dick anyway though so i didn't feel too bad about it.

one time in phx i was walking through tempe late at night and heard this cracking sound. every thirty seconds or so there'd be a loud crack and some laughter. heard it four or five times. i came around the corner and there were two kids maybe 15-17 yr old doing flying kicks at the side mirrors of every car parked on the street. there was a line of 10 that they'd already hit and as i saw them they knocked off another one.

i called the cops but they saw me on my phone and took off.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Those kids own

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/979071696895344640

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

phx is like if the south all decided to clean up and join fraternities/sororities. it sucks and it rules at the same time.

also look at those poo poo tires

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

doug douchey sucks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

it is your duty as an american to smash (n grab poo poo) from as many private automobiles and shoplift from big chain as possible

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
*steals change and 3 cigarettes left in a pack from a 1992 sunfire parked behind the waffle house its owner works at* Ride a bus, you piece of poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

Don't forget to shoplift from Walmart.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a friend of mine left his old broken phone with a cracked screen (which he was planning to return for the $100 off a new one or w/e you get) on the seat of his car and someone smashed the window to take it

actually now that i wrote that out it's like, well, duh, if it was a $100 bill of course someone would have taken it. never considered it that way. the more you realize

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that was a good use for $200 million in vc to make a ~*revolutionary light field camera*~ that just looked like you guassian blurred part of the picture
https://www.dpreview.com/news/2127966440/lytro-confirms-the-company-is-officially-shutting-down

quote:

Last week, industry sources told TechCrunch that Google would soon acquire light field camera maker Lytro for somewhere between $25 million and $40 million. And while Google's part in all this hasn't been confirmed, Lytro has now formally announced that it will be shutting down, and an anonymous source has shed more light on how Google is involved.
well that's good I mean the technology will still be ar

quote:

A person familiar with the matter confirmed the original TechCrunch report to The Verge, explaining that "a large fraction" of the employees at Lytro would take jobs at Google. However, those jobs won't necessarily have anything to do with developing light field technology. The Verge's source said the deal was more "hiring deal" than "company acquisition," and that Google wasn't so much buying Lytro as acquiring its talent and some of its assets, without any specific plans to integrate those assets into current light field projects.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Don't forget to shoplift from Walmart.

you can shoplift from the wal mart here and they won't do anything to try and actively stop you. apparently they're worried about some kind of liability stuff. :shrug:

the municipality i work for is actually considering an ordinance that would compel them to intervene to some extent. lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
*pays 1 million per employee in acquisition costs; pays everyone else no bonuses*

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Xaris posted:

*pays 1 million per employee in acquisition costs; pays everyone else no bonuses*

Nanh they pay those too

Apr 7, 2003

President Beep posted:

you can shoplift from the wal mart here and they won't do anything to try and actively stop you. apparently they're worried about some kind of liability stuff. :shrug:

the municipality i work for is actually considering an ordinance that would compel them to intervene to some extent. lol

That's a great way to get retail employees making nine bucks an hour killed.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i think it's more due to one of their investors claiming they have no faith in the company and will likely be bankrupt in months but who knows

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's a great way to get retail employees making nine bucks an hour killed.

i agree. i haven't seen any draft language yet, but i assume there'd be a limit to what's expected effort-wise. still though...

it's fun to watch the local law enforcement pull their hair out in frustration.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

when i worked at blockbuster we had a couple guys steal a few movies and a ton of empty cases and the number of people i told this to who suggested a button that locked the doors with the thief still inside was insane

Apr 7, 2003

President Beep posted:

i agree. i haven't seen any draft language yet, but i assume there'd be a limit to what's expected effort-wise. still though...

it's fun to watch the local law enforcement pull their hair out in frustration.

Walmarts tend to be epicenters for crime and the company pushes the cost off to the taxpayer by deliberately not staffing enough security.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

i think it's more due to one of their investors claiming they have no faith in the company and will likely be bankrupt in months but who knows

why not both?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tokamak posted:

it is a former gm/toyota factory. it produced 6000 vehicles a week on average, and over 8000 a week at its peak. they closed it in 2010 because fremont california is an expensive and bad location to produce cars. so why is it producing about a thousand cars a week? the plant purchase was mainly the building, and not the equipment or knowledge. the production line and retooling was designed by tesla. their production goal is 500,000/year, or 70,000/year more cars than was ever produced at that site.

the NUMMI plant is located in a california "enterprise zone," so they pay virtually no state tax on their activities. it wasn't completely stupid for tesla to locate its manufacturing in CA when you consider that aspect

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Rex-Goliath posted:

who knows. amazon is down 5% because wall street just realized today that owning a newspaper that constantly shits on a corrupt president with autocratic tendencies might have negative side effects

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Penisface posted:

if it's in tokyo, I would love to know the place. thanks!

Nagoya. In Kamimaezu. I will see if I can pull up the name.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

can't wait to see where this toxic shitlord will fail upward to next

quote:

The chief technology officer of GM’s self-driving car company Cruise has left the company after only six months.

AG Gangadhar, a former Uber engineer who was recruited in September 2017 to help lead GM’s efforts in self-driving technology, departed the automobile manufacturer last week.

Gangadhar’s hiring at GM came as a shock to former Uber engineer Susan Fowler, who criticized his appointment at the time. Fowler had worked under Gangadhar while the two were at Uber, and cited his mismanagement of her issues at the company in a personal post about her time at Uber.

“After serious consideration, Cruise and AG have elected to part ways,” Ray Wert, a spokesman for Cruise, told Recode. “We wish him the best in all future endeavors.”

Cruise declined to say whether Gangadhar’s departure had anything to do with Fowler or other former Uber engineers’ criticism of his hiring.
I'm going to guess an expert in residence position at a vc company

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i have to imagine the people who work in autonomous vehicles are 25% actual engineers who work on machine learning and real time visualization and 75% bullshit artists, and the 75% are the ones who keep getting promoted and poached because theyre the ones who keep promising the impossible

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

i have to imagine the people who work in autonomous vehicles are 25% actual engineers who work on machine learning and real time visualization and 75% bullshit artists, and the 75% are the ones who keep getting promoted and poached because theyre the ones who keep promising the impossible

speaking of which otto's other co-founder, aka the one who kept his head down until his retention bonus kicked in, just left uber

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

President Beep posted:

a bit unrelated but i was just reminiscing about all of the crazy poo poo i used to see when i lived in a student-y part of town, right by a railroad crossing on a busy-rear end street. one day, amtrak comes rolling through so the gates start to come down over the multi-lane road and traffic starts coming to its usual stop, all except for this one dipshit in some fuckoff huge suburban or some such thing. at first he was trying to beat the gate, but he realized at the last minute that he wouldn't be able to clear the tracks in time, so he stops short enough to avoid getting hit by the train, but the gate arm still slammed down on his hood. the guy jumps out of his SUV, hopping mad, and starts yelling at the train. at the end of the last train car, there's an amtrak staffer leaning out of an open door--i assume to help make sure nothing crazy is going on during the crossing. irate driver sees the train guy, and starts screaming at him. train guy looks at the scene and just shrugs his shoulders at the driver as he passes by and the train continued on its merry way.

had a hearty laugh over that one.

reminds me of the time i was on the bus and a guy tried to pass the bus on the inside to beat it to the onramp. they didnt make it and instead stopped their car in traffic and got out and shook their fist at the bus as it passed by.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

who knows. amazon is down 5% because wall street just realized today that owning a newspaper that constantly shits on a corrupt president with autocratic tendencies might have negative side effects

its funny bc they are basically SPONSORED BY NORTHROP GRUMMAN but also poo poo on trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

President Beep posted:

fun fact: walmart doesn't stop or even deter shoplifters because they've done studies and found out people who shoplift from walmart still shop at walmart so unless they get really ambitious with the shoplifting walmart still comes out ahead in terms of profit

target, however, invests heavily in anti-theft technologies/surveillance and vigorously prosecutes shoplifters and yet is still the more bougie choice for big box stores