Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Thesis: Character Sheets
Antithesis: Deck of Cards
Synthesis: Deck of Cards w/Character Sheet
Apothesis: Wearing a fedora with your character name written on an index card and stuck in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dawgstar posted:

Rage Across New York was especially awful. I remember how it said that unlike the awful white tribes, the Wendigo and Ukena only warred on one another for noble and pure reasons. It reminded me of something from, I dunno, MST3K or something - "My race is pacifist and doesn't believe in war. We only kill out of personal spite."

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but Rage Across Australia is similarly bad. In which we find out that the European garou killed the Aboriginal Bunyip because they were fearful of their giant black marsupial dicks. Also that cereal grains are of the wyrm.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

slap me and kiss me posted:

Every rpg should be a deck of cards.

Isaac Childres is a genius.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Cards suck. Shuffling is an even more dubious method of generating randomness than rolling dice and even if you're not using cards for that specific purpose, they're a bunch of little pieces that are fragile and get lost.

I guess the upside is if you're playing a game where characters are built out of modular pieces that change during play they're a handy way to pull information that may not all apply at once together without writing/erasing or constantly referring to things in a book, but you gotta weigh that against the above.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 28, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Thesis: Character Sheets
Antithesis: Deck of Cards
Synthesis: Deck of Cards w/Character Sheet
Apothesis: Wearing a fedora with your character name written on an index card and stuck in it
This actually existed in a nascent form as the CCG Arcadia, which I still have fond memories of. It's also a White Wolf game, so possibly either the source of Rein*Heigen's idea or someone there heard one of his rants and decided to make an actual game out of it. A surprisingly enjoyable one too.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 28, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cards suck. Shuffling is an even more dubious method of generating randomness than rolling dice and even if you're not using cards for that specific purpose, they're a bunch of little pieces that are fragile and get lost.

I guess the upside is if you're playing a game where characters are built out of modular pieces that change during play they're a handy way to pull information that may not all apply at once together without writing/erasing or constantly referring to things in a book, but you gotta weigh that against the above.
The Gloomhaven modifier deck is a thing of beauty, though. Constantly improving your deck is a fantastic way of tracking advancement, and imo beats the hell out of die modifiers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cards suck. Shuffling is an even more dubious method of generating randomness than rolling dice

So get away from randomness!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

The Gloomhaven modifier deck is a thing of beauty, though. Constantly improving your deck is a fantastic way of tracking advancement, and imo beats the hell out of die modifiers.

Yeah I get it for Gloomhaven and Gamma World 7E, I just wouldn't want to see it become a universal standard.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Warthur posted:

Now I begin to wonder whether the original Vampire was, like Star Wars, one of those projects which was saved in the edit...

The original Vampire was one of those projects that was saved by a second edition. Not to say it wasn't a hit - it was - but it was the second edition that everybody remembers.

That all being said, they owe a lot to their editing and layout team, but I wouldn't presume it was "saved" by it. But Nicole Lindroos' design of that book really, really helped it stand out from peers like Night Life.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah it should be a deck of cards and those idiots making vampire should just shut down already because they're cutting into his market share of "succubus" which is totally different than vampire for reasons.

Using cards for character design is fine. It's the fact he can't design a system without it becoming a disaster of math that's the problem.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This actually existed in a nascent form as the CCG Arcadia, which I still have fond memories of. It's also a White Wolf game, so possibly either the source of Rein*Heigen's idea or someone there heard one of his rants and decided to make an actual game out of it. A surprisingly enjoyable one too.

I'm pretty sure Mark worked on that one (out of like four designers). It has a lot of ahead-of-its-time design but really suffered from the fact it was marketed to the CCG market yet really, really didn't fit the CCG mold. It really just suffered if you didn't happen to have a full set, wasn't particularly targeted at the quick head-to-head competitive play one expected from a CCG, and it had no real support or hoook to build the community it needed. It had neat ideas bolted onto some really bad trendchasing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cards seem like an ok way to keep track of your prepared spells or other expendable resources.

Of course then you'd need a deck with multiple copies of each spell in the spellbook, because the wizard might decide to prepare 5x Fireball today. It'd work best with plain index cards that you fill in as needed, I guess.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

As someone who's been balls-deep in Slay the Spire for the last month, cards as a way of generating a random array of options available along with a path to upgrades/character advancement seem like the platonic ideal and I have no idea how we even bothered with dice.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kurieg posted:

The werewolf books were not anywhere near as polished. The tribes backstabbed each other at every opportunity and their clan stereotypes were flanderized up to 11.
Also 1e was when bridges was at the helm so the neoprimitivism and saintly exotic natives thing was in full swing.
Fair point. I can't really approach Werewolf as anything other than a total cartoon of itself, and part of that probably comes from having encountered the 1E version first.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The original Vampire was one of those projects that was saved by a second edition. Not to say it wasn't a hit - it was - but it was the second edition that everybody remembers.
I've got 1E in hardcopy and 2E in PDF and I don't remember them being all that different, save that 2E has a nicer layout job and edit, doesn't have the ongoing story told in the art, and otherwise more or less has the same information, just presented in a slightly different order. So I guess you could count that as being saved in the edit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Warthur posted:

I've got 1E in hardcopy and 2E in PDF and I don't remember them being all that different, save that 2E has a nicer layout job and edit, doesn't have the ongoing story told in the art, and otherwise more or less has the same information, just presented in a slightly different order. So I guess you could count that as being saved in the edit.

I don't think ARB is talking about the core book on it's own, as much as the Metaplot and supplementary books. The WOD Cores are rather densely packed with crunch and don't leave much room for the writers to wax poetic about how the Get of Fenris are actually for real double plus nazis.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Elizabeth Mills posted:

As someone who's been balls-deep in Slay the Spire for the last month, cards as a way of generating a random array of options available along with a path to upgrades/character advancement seem like the platonic ideal and I have no idea how we even bothered with dice.

Probably because, no matter how much people tout the "combat puzzle" aspects of modern D&D, most people don't actually want to solve elaborate puzzles every time they take a turn in an RPG.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cards are a good way to force your hand (ha!) and make injuries or compulsions enter gameplay at unwelcome but controlled intervals. Cards are bad at dice-like randomness, but so what? The cards in an RPG do not need to be what determines whether you hit the goblin with your axe.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kurieg posted:

I don't think ARB is talking about the core book on it's own, as much as the Metaplot and supplementary books. The WOD Cores are rather densely packed with crunch and don't leave much room for the writers to wax poetic about how the Get of Fenris are actually for real double plus nazis.
The 1E A World of Darkness supplement had John Dee as a Tremere mastermind, Crowley as a Malkavian deliberately tricked into thinking he was a Tremere to embarrass them, the Brujah as the secret masters of the Mafia, the original Hunedora Castle background, supernatural kitties, and Oscar Wilde running the world's best vampire nightclub in a buried ship in San Francisco. If that's wrong I don't want to be right.

EDIT: Also, I believe 1E had the original and best version of the Mummy supplement, where it was fresh and distinctive and mummies were genuinely rare and the concept wasn't horribly diluted by trying to crowbar all sorts of other stuff into it.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 28, 2018

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I think cards are great as conflict resolution tools, especially when players have access to a hand of them. Deciding when and where they'd like to spend their most useful resources or their character's most intense efforts seems way more interesting to me than rolling a die or hoping an RNG provides the desired result. But that's probably more design talk than Industry talk.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You don't need cards for randomness.

I'd also kill for an rpg that released new character abilities like a legacy game rather than make me spend $50 on a new hardcover.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

I'd also kill for an rpg that released new character abilities like a legacy game rather than make me spend $50 on a new hardcover.

Tear pages 103 to 156 out of your PHB and stuff them into envelopes. Open them when your DM says you've been a very good gamer.

There, I just saved you a lengthy prison term.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

The 1E A World of Darkness supplement had John Dee as a Tremere mastermind, Crowley as a Malkavian deliberately tricked into thinking he was a Tremere to embarrass them, the Brujah as the secret masters of the Mafia, the original Hunedora Castle background, supernatural kitties, and Oscar Wilde running the world's best vampire nightclub in a buried ship in San Francisco. If that's wrong I don't want to be right.

Related: Jim Morrison was a Cultist of Ecstasy. (Why, yes, Phil Brucato wrote that Tradition book. Why do you ask?)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Jimbozig posted:

Tear pages 103 to 156 out of your PHB and stuff them into envelopes. Open them when your DM says you've been a very good gamer.

There, I just saved you a lengthy prison term.

I guess it was worth it

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Warthur posted:

In any case, it's not an edit Stevens had anything to do with.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. Geek Social Fallacies feels more relevant than ever to help explain why RPG companies and fans react so badly when these issues come up.

Lurking and overt sexism is also very important, but GSFs can serve as potent cover for it.
I get the general impression that their major issue is that they are far more fragmented than you imagine which does explain why they ping pong so utterly bizarrely. It's why I kind of stopped giving kudos to the company on the whole because they aren't the ones doing a lot of the heavy lifting in some instances.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don't need cards for randomness.

Hello, UA?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm pretty sure Mark worked on that one (out of like four designers). It has a lot of ahead-of-its-time design but really suffered from the fact it was marketed to the CCG market yet really, really didn't fit the CCG mold. It really just suffered if you didn't happen to have a full set, wasn't particularly targeted at the quick head-to-head competitive play one expected from a CCG, and it had no real support or hoook to build the community it needed. It had neat ideas bolted onto some really bad trendchasing.
It would make a great LCG, but I have no idea what state the IP rights are in.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I liked Milwaukee by Night- it's got its problems, but there's a real sense of desperation and danger that permeates it. Milwaukee's vampires are in bad trouble, it's probably too dangerous to leave, and nobody can get along with anybody outside their clique.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Meinberg posted:

I think cards are great as conflict resolution tools, especially when players have access to a hand of them. Deciding when and where they'd like to spend their most useful resources or their character's most intense efforts seems way more interesting to me than rolling a die or hoping an RNG provides the desired result. But that's probably more design talk than Industry talk.

I mean, Phoenix: Dawn Command already exists y'all. I have only had the chance to play one session, but the rules felt pretty good and the PC concepts were all super rad.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thefakenews posted:

I mean, Phoenix: Dawn Command already exists y'all. I have only had the chance to play one session, but the rules felt pretty good and the PC concepts were all super rad.

Sure but there's room for more games that explore the concept. Gloomhaven does some really nice things with cards, from the way you construct attacks each turn using the top portion of one card and the bottom portion of another which compacts a lot of possible options into a minimal amount of space while preserving diversity, to the modifier decks which are slim, minimal in overt randomness, and get modified as you spend XP on them (thinning out negative modifiers, adding positive ones, increasing your crit chances, etc).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Was thinking about how you'd design a card driven rpg earlier today inspired by Gloomhaven. One of the nice things aboutr the design of that game si that there's no arndomness in when your abilities are usable - you just have your whole stack of ablities and lose them as you rotate through your hand, then get to pick them up after you've used your abilities. The only thing about transitioning that style of combat to an RPG is that Gloomhaven's take on rpg combat is more towards 'puzzle' than 'tactics' than most players would be ready for. You can really gently caress up and get wrecked in Gloomhaven in a way that you can't if you're playing 4e. I wonder if Gloomhaven's model would work without that tight design?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Sure but there's room for more games that explore the concept. Gloomhaven does some really nice things with cards, from the way you construct attacks each turn using the top portion of one card and the bottom portion of another which compacts a lot of possible options into a minimal amount of space while preserving diversity, to the modifier decks which are slim, minimal in overt randomness, and get modified as you spend XP on them (thinning out negative modifiers, adding positive ones, increasing your crit chances, etc).

Sure, I'm just pointing out that it's not a particularly out-there concept, and there is an extant example of a bunch of the concepts being brought up in the discussion.

Maybe I'm misreading, but a lot of posts seem to be talking about a card-based rpg character sheet, and/or card based resolution, in the abstract when there is actually a concrete example of a game that does both to point to.

Edit: I've toyed with the idea of an RPG that uses the mechanics from the old Warhammer Warcry CCG. The cards in your deck each had a die value on the bottom of the card (often less powerful cards had better die rolls), and you flipped cards to generate rolls. So your deck was both your resources and your "randomiser". I think there's an interesting space to explore there.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 29, 2018

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Relevant:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I mean the core mechanic of Gloomhaven as described never sounded fun to me either, but I haven't actually played it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. Geek Social Fallacies feels more relevant than ever to help explain why RPG companies and fans react so badly when these issues come up.

Lurking and overt sexism is also very important, but GSFs can serve as potent cover for it.

I feel like a lot of the "jocks are popular, nerds are loser" basis behind these don't even apply anymore. Game of Thrones, not too long ago, was one of the most watched shows on Netflix, pretty much everyone plays videogames, there has never been a better time to be a geek than this one.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Never let reality get in the way of a perfectly good persecution complex.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
NBA players are playing Fortnite, NFL teams get obsessed with Catan, and baseball has always been for nerds. The old signifiers of nerdiness are now ubiquitous and everyone likes to call themselves a nerd.

But there are still nerds... not cool people who like nerdy things, but obsessive lonely geek boys and girls who are looked down on just as they have always been. I don't want to call them "the real nerds" because then it sounds like I'm gatekeeping. But we all know there is a difference between a celebrity who likes Star Trek and the kid who spends his time coding up a computer program to model a video game's combat so he or she can optimize and find the best strats. Maybe we call them both nerds, sure. So what is the word we can use for that difference?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

NBA players are playing Fortnite, NFL teams get obsessed with Catan, and baseball has always been for nerds. The old signifiers of nerdiness are now ubiquitous and everyone likes to call themselves a nerd.

But there are still nerds... not cool people who like nerdy things, but obsessive lonely geek boys and girls who are looked down on just as they have always been. I don't want to call them "the real nerds" because then it sounds like I'm gatekeeping. But we all know there is a difference between a celebrity who likes Star Trek and the kid who spends his time coding up a computer program to model a video game's combat so he or she can optimize and find the best strats. Maybe we call them both nerds, sure. So what is the word we can use for that difference?

I mean, I guess obsessives would work. It's very rarely someones interests that make them social outcasts though, and more often has to do with how those interests are expressed, and with how that person presents themselves.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Either it interferes with other parts of their life (socialization, finances, hygiene, whatever), in which case it’s a problem that might deserve a label, or it’s just a hobby like any other.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Subjunctive posted:

Either it interferes with other parts of their life (socialization, finances, hygiene, whatever), in which case it’s a problem that might deserve a label, or it’s just a hobby like any other.

:agreed: For all we know, Vin Diesel could’ve memorized all the tables from D&D 2-5 but just doesn’t talk about it aside from mentioning it in some interviews and that one geek and sundry session. Some of those football players are HUGE weebs and could probably argue with you all day about DBZ and Master Roshi’s turtle’s power level.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: For all we know, Vin Diesel could’ve memorized all the tables from D&D 2-5 but just doesn’t talk about it aside from mentioning it in some interviews and that one geek and sundry session. Some of those football players are HUGE weebs and could probably argue with you all day about DBZ and Master Roshi’s turtle’s power level.

I mean, the guys from the New Day do let's plays in their spare time and once did their ring entrance in Saiyan battle armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kurieg posted:

I mean, the guys from the New Day do let's plays in their spare time and once did their ring entrance in Saiyan battle armor.
Also, Xavier Woods has his PHD so that too.