Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GotLag posted:

Except in my case, where it was at least 60 years with no pops removed at all.
I went 100 years with three pops that were undesirables that never left. The planet sat there for 75 of those years in a sector with nothing going on there. It was there so long that my Ocean preference pops chose to start moving to this Arid planet simply because it had open slots and my Habitability techs started to stack up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GotLag posted:

Does displacement ever just remove the pops? Or does it keep them forever if there's nowhere to take them as refugees? I swear it's been over 60 years since I conquered this world and declared its inhabitants as undesirables.
If there's no place else for them to go, they just disappear into the ether, traveling through deep space in search of some place to make a home. Following on that, it'd be cool if there was some sort of event for displaced refugees to colonize an available habitable planet and create a new homeland. Possibly as a disloyal vassal or something. And now that's my new plan for dealing with undesirables; settle a planet with them, release it as a vassal, and let them take my refugees.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

If there's no place else for them to go, they just disappear into the ether, traveling through deep space in search of some place to make a home. Following on that, it'd be cool if there was some sort of event for displaced refugees to colonize an available habitable planet and create a new homeland. Possibly as a disloyal vassal or something. And now that's my new plan for dealing with undesirables; settle a planet with them, release it as a vassal, and let them take my refugees.

no i much prefer the fuckin zerg rush of 20 pop refugees settling on your newly settled planet asdlgkja;sldgkjas;ldj i only allowed refugees to make my faction happy not to actually *get* them

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Sloober posted:

no i much prefer the fuckin zerg rush of 20 pop refugees settling on your newly settled planet asdlgkja;sldgkjas;ldj i only allowed refugees to make my faction happy not to actually *get* them

I love refugee events. They help add to the diversity that is my growing star empire. And, a lot of times, aliens will have a bunch of special traits my main species doesnt. "Why, hello, strong aliens! Why don't you go work in the minea while our natural sociologists study you?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Epicurius posted:

I love refugee events. They help add to the diversity that is my growing star empire. And, a lot of times, aliens will have a bunch of special traits my main species doesnt. "Why, hello, strong aliens! Why don't you go work in the minea while our natural sociologists study you?"

Why hello VERY STRONG refugee, enjoy my army now being made up to 100% your species as shock troops to throw at all these loving 3000+ defense shielded planets.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I just had the Enigmatic Fortress bug, it's drat annoying and I was in the middle of a war elsewhere, as well as the Unbidden popping up.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Epicurius posted:

there is a lot of trash species tbh

i'm a stellaris racist

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Is there any way to edit the automated dreadnought once it's already spawned, so it isn't stupidly slow? It would pretty much double my fleet power if I could actually use it, but unless I send it somewhere a few years before I actually need it, it will never participate in a single battle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sloober posted:

there is a lot of trash species tbh

i'm a stellaris racist

Yeah, sometimes you get that great immigrant species that fits right in. You're weak and they are strong. You're going for a science run and they are also intelligent. You're very worried about ethos drift and don't want tooooo many xeno's and hello slow-breeding conformist aliens, sure come on in.

Other times you get some rapid breeding decadent wasteful idiots who instantly start an authoritarian faction in your egalitarian empire and instant-convert a bunch of your own pops because of the "active faction" ethos draw poo poo and you get so so mad.

I'd actually love to mod out the "active faction" being a draw for ethos at all, it doesn't make sense to me and I hate it and so many factions end up existing simply because at one point they had a legitimate reason to exist but you've "solved" that reason and now can't get rid of the faction. Or you conquered some religious aliens, they start up a faction and suddenly a bunch of your own pops join within the first months because of the sudden massive attraction bonus from the faction simply existing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

most species can be salvaged through genetic engineering to serve some purpose even if they're not optimal

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Baronjutter posted:

I'd actually love to mod out the "active faction" being a draw for ethos at all, it doesn't make sense to me and I hate it and so many factions end up existing simply because at one point they had a legitimate reason to exist but you've "solved" that reason and now can't get rid of the faction.....

Just like real life!

Baronjutter posted:

Or you conquered some religious aliens, they start up a faction and suddenly a bunch of your own pops join within the first months because of the sudden massive attraction bonus from the faction simply existing

Usually this works the other way around, but if you're playing Xenophiles, well, that might just come with the territory...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

First 2.0 game I had, the Khanate formed in the north-east of the galaxy. Disappointing, because the region was fairly isolated and sparsely populated- two empires in region, roughly equal-sized and rivals. Naturally, they both get smashed, reduced to tiny rump states before the khanate itself explodes and over the next two centuries the local devouring swarm moves in to eat the lot of them. So far so whatever.

Later on, I'm looking through the species tab on a whim when I notice that the primary species of one of these empires is the second most prolific in the galaxy (after my own wildly successful brain squid). There's something like three hundred and fifty of the little bastards running around, despite the fact that there can't be more of a quarter of that in their original territory. So I check around and lo and behold these guys are everywhere. They're pluralities or substantial minorities basically anywhere that isn't a fascistic nightmare state. It's the most successful diaspora you've ever seen.

The punchline: they're Repugnant, Wasteful Deviants with Extremely Adaptive and Nomadic. :laugh:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Fanatic Egalitarian empires should get a tiny amount of influence from each faction that exists within them regardless of their happiness, even the completely opposing viewpoints.

"We all agree that the 'kill all xenos' and 'enslave the infidels' parties are thoroughly despicable piles of barely sentient garbage, but they have the same rights as everyone to speak their minds and participate in the political process."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Are sectors worth it er no?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

iospace posted:

There is no in-game reason to use sectors unless you're over your core system cap. The whole mechanic is a bit of a mess at the moment without a clear focus. Originally I think the intent was to force "wide" empires to have to give up direct control and pay a 25% loss of production, and maybe tie sectors into rebellions and ethos drift and get some CK2 style internal politics going on. Then sectors were sold as strictly a quality of life thing for the player, they were to ease the burden of hand-managing dozens of planets, but people hated the terrible sector AI so they gave players free direct control over sector planets.

Yet +core system techs still exist, and your number of core worlds still is viewed mechanically as an in-game bonus rather than a purely optional interface/automation issue. I think they still want to force people into using sectors by having the core limit even though pretty much every single in-game sector related mechanic has been scrapped. I'd love for them to do something interesting with sectors that makes them actually mean something within the game, maybe get rid of them as a bad automation tool and instead have them function a subjects/vassals as part of a huge subject overhaul dlc.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

iospace posted:

Sectors are required for most decent size empires because of the core sector limits, unless you boost your core sectors through civics or perks you'll probably need a sector or two. The AI does an ok job building on its own if you leave it be, although it builds too many farms, but you can override its decisions. You can either dump your already built up planets into sectors or do the tile micro yourself on new planets. Personally I find that once I have a good size empire going I prefer to just let the sectors do most of the initial work and I'll take a look once the planet is built up a bit to build more to my preferences.

e: I agree that sectors are pretty uninteresting as is and could use some kind of new mechanics, it really is just a sort of "corruption" kind of thing right now which is redundant with the tech/unity penalties for expansion.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 28, 2018

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
If i create a new "race/government" thing, will the AI use it or do they just pick the default races? I'm not sure i've seen randomly generated ones...

Edit:
For sectors, I kept building up my planets then joining them to the sector once I had it built and turn off "Redevelopment" That way it didn't screw with farms.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

brosef posted:

Synthetically ascended pops aren't affected at all, actually. They still can't use Sapient combat computers, though.

For the ascended pops who used to be organic, yes. The original synths which were always artificial still get the full force of the ghost signal with no way to block it or reduce it without killing the Contingency.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My favourite refugee event was some months ago, when an awakened xenophobe fallen empire declared war on me and my huge federation, got its poo poo pushed in and then their people fled to my space when the nastier federation members started oppressing them. Whose the inferior xeno rabble now, shitheads? :smug:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

There is no in-game reason to use sectors unless you're over your core system cap. The whole mechanic is a bit of a mess at the moment without a clear focus. Originally I think the intent was to force "wide" empires to have to give up direct control and pay a 25% loss of production, and maybe tie sectors into rebellions and ethos drift and get some CK2 style internal politics going on. Then sectors were sold as strictly a quality of life thing for the player, they were to ease the burden of hand-managing dozens of planets, but people hated the terrible sector AI so they gave players free direct control over sector planets.

Yet +core system techs still exist, and your number of core worlds still is viewed mechanically as an in-game bonus rather than a purely optional interface/automation issue. I think they still want to force people into using sectors by having the core limit even though pretty much every single in-game sector related mechanic has been scrapped. I'd love for them to do something interesting with sectors that makes them actually mean something within the game, maybe get rid of them as a bad automation tool and instead have them function a subjects/vassals as part of a huge subject overhaul dlc.

they must have some plans in the works for sectors or I imagine they'd have been scrapped as part of the 2.0 overhaul

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

iospace posted:

I kinda just make a single sector that is lightly taxed and focused on science buildings. Then I use it to train up a governor so when my core governor dies, they can have someone decent instead of some level 1 chump.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nevets posted:

Fanatic Egalitarian empires should get a tiny amount of influence from each faction that exists within them regardless of their happiness, even the completely opposing viewpoints.

"We all agree that the 'kill all xenos' and 'enslave the infidels' parties are thoroughly despicable piles of barely sentient garbage, but they have the same rights as everyone to speak their minds and participate in the political process."

That is a good idea, Wiz add this please.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jazerus posted:

they must have some plans in the works for sectors or I imagine they'd have been scrapped as part of the 2.0 overhaul

They're still fairly needed to handle the tile-management bloat in larger empires. But they're sort of a rump feature at the moment after nearly all their in-game effects have been cut. Sectors can't be scrapped entirely right now because you'd need to hand-manage every single planet, so it's being kept around as a forced interface/quality of life thing.

What should be scrapped though is the whole core limit mechanic. Core limit is really based on player OCD levels. The idea of course was to have a core limit to save players from them selves, but a ton of people just can't handle the idea of the sector AI being non-optimal.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

iospace posted:

The other thing is holy hell I need more minerals.

e: I'm fortunate that my nextdoor neighbors are peaceful explorers, because they could probably roflstomp me right now.

Some other people gave you great advice, I thought I'd chime in with a few things that aren't so obvious when you're starting out. First off you'll want the utopia expansion, it adds a really good system (unity), and apocalypse improves a lot of stuff but isn't as vital (adds more meat to mid/late game). Synthetic dawn adds a bunch of robot things and is cool, but is probably lower on the list than apoc. Play on the 2.0.2 beta patch if you're able to, the 2.0 patch is pretty good but they've been doing a ton of work and it really shows.

The +30 mineral benchmark is really solid (and with certain setups you can basically get that out of the gate), but don't forget you're spending upkeep (in the form of energy) on basically everything. Every station is 1 upkeep (including the one to claim a system), a basic building is 1 upkeep, and an upgraded building is +.5 upkeep. So early on upgrading a mine from lvl 1 to 2 costs you 90 minerals for +1 minerals -.5 energy. Chances are you've got a more efficient spot to spend those 90 minerals on. Power station upgrades are very good because they're a straight +1 energy for 90 minerals, but if there is a +2 station spot that is a more efficient spot to spend those minerals. Don't forget there is a slot on your starting shipyard that you can put a +energy module in.

You don't need tons of energy in the early game, so during your initial expansion aim to keep your energy income around +0 while you have better spots to spend minerals (mining stations, big science stations, etc), then when those are online and you're waiting on influence to claim more systems and stuff you can build those energy things up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is this game good yet or just better? Not trying to be a dick or anything, I bought this at release and have tried it a number of times and empire creation rules and then the game slowly became a huge, boring slog.
I assume that is improved but is the mid/end-game actually as good as the early game now?
Gonna check it out anyway so fun things to do would be appreciated.

e: oh and mods, gimme them mod advices

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nopantsjack posted:

Is this game good yet or just better? Not trying to be a dick or anything, I bought this at release and have tried it a number of times and empire creation rules and then the game slowly became a huge, boring slog.
I assume that is improved but is the mid/end-game actually as good as the early game now?
Gonna check it out anyway so fun things to do would be appreciated.

Pretty subjective but I'd go so far to recommend the game now but only to people thirsty for some space empire building. It's hugely improved from release, seriously massive strides, but it's still a game that got stuck with some really bad initial design and has been struggling to renovate itself out of a corner ever since.

It's also still very much an early-access feeling game a year after release. Because the game is constantly having to gut, fix, or slap a new coat of paint over some really bad mechanics it's always in flux, which means there's always going to be tons of bugs and balance issues. 2.0 was the biggest round of changes yet, and introduced of course a ton of issues. The current version of the game most everyone is playing is a literal beta.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Baronjutter posted:

Pretty subjective but I'd go so far to recommend the game now but only to people thirsty for some space empire building. It's hugely improved from release, seriously massive strides, but it's still a game that got stuck with some really bad initial design and has been struggling to renovate itself out of a corner ever since.

It's also still very much an early-access feeling game a year after release. Because the game is constantly having to gut, fix, or slap a new coat of paint over some really bad mechanics it's always in flux, which means there's always going to be tons of bugs and balance issues. 2.0 was the biggest round of changes yet, and introduced of course a ton of issues. The current version of the game most everyone is playing is a literal beta.

A literal beta that, granted, I can count the number of noteworthy bugs I've experienced over four separate playthroughs on one hand.

There are issues, but most are not show-stoppers or more than an inconvenience :shrug:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

Best mod is Guilliman's planet modifiers: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865040033

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Captain Oblivious posted:

A literal beta that, granted, I can count the number of noteworthy bugs I've experienced over four separate playthroughs on one hand.

There are issues, but most are not show-stoppers or more than an inconvenience :shrug:

I haven't had a game crashing bug in a Paradox game for years, they've made huge strides in that regard. But they still do a lot of odd things like implement scaling difficulty but accidentally do it backwards, or implement a bunch of range-related bonuses while forgetting how the range related code works, or making various quests and leviathans and AI behavior 100% broken/impossible. They also still seem very much in "just keep throwing balance changes at the wall and see what sticks" approach to combat and ship design rather than having a cohesive vision for it or correctly identifying the balance issues are much bigger than what weapon does what bonus.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't had a game crashing bug in a Paradox game for years, they've made huge strides in that regard. But they still do a lot of odd things like implement scaling difficulty but accidentally do it backwards, or implement a bunch of range-related bonuses while forgetting how the range related code works, or making various quests and leviathans and AI behavior 100% broken/impossible. They also still seem very much in "just keep throwing balance changes at the wall and see what sticks" approach to combat and ship design rather than having a cohesive vision for it or correctly identifying the balance issues are much bigger than what weapon does what bonus.

The idea of an opt in beta patch is that they can test and iterate on changes without going through the QA process. It obviously follows that will mean changes that haven't been QA tested, like figuring out the scaling but having the values backwards.

I really don't get the complaints here - making large scale changes means that balance will swing. The alternative is to like, do nothing, and leave the game stagnating in the state it was at release - which happened for two years.

It's great that two years later substantive changes are happening, but if the pace is a bit too fast for you which you seem to be implying, consider not opting into beta patches or waiting until right when the big two year long changes happen to observe "wow this game sure is changing quickly it's a bit of a moving target"

I don't get it dude this seems to be like looking on the other side of the "They finally did something" coin and declaring "aha, but it also meant a lot of things changed!!" and yes, that's generally what that means

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So stellaris is a land of contrasts...

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Stellaris is fun and you should play it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've put 100+ hours into this and will probably put in another hundred before I'm done. This game rules

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
What is this "scaling but with values are reversed thing" you guys keep talking about?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jabarto posted:

What is this "scaling but with values are reversed thing" you guys keep talking about?

They introduced a new difficulty system to help make up for the fact that the AI is very bad at tile management and development in general by instead of giving it set bonuses, it gives increasing bonuses as the game goes on to balance the fact that human players are going to have a widening power gap as the game goes on. Instead they typed some numbers in wrong and the game would start out on super max difficulty and the AI would get fewer bonuses ramping down to nothing as the game went on. This bug was very easy to avoid by not using that difficulty setting.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
On the other hand that honestly sounds like a much better system. Early in the game is when the AI needs bonuses the most, later it has raw territory and tech to make up for it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

They introduced a new difficulty system to help make up for the fact that the AI is very bad at tile management and development in general by instead of giving it set bonuses, it gives increasing bonuses as the game goes on to balance the fact that human players are going to have a widening power gap as the game goes on. Instead they typed some numbers in wrong and the game would start out on super max difficulty and the AI would get fewer bonuses ramping down to nothing as the game went on. This bug was very easy to avoid by not using that difficulty setting.

the theory behind scaling difficulty is kind of unsound anyway. some people will enjoy it, which is why it's there, but the reversed scaling actually makes more sense - the AI needs very large bonuses at the beginning so that they can have an explosive start like the player usually does, and then only moderate bonuses thereafter

sliders to set the maximum and minimum bonuses would be useful

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Quick question: if I simultaneously move two separate 3k fleets into an enemy system, are they equivalent to the enemy's single 6k fleet? Or does the 6k fleet enjoy some sort of bonus from having a unified command?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Finally slogged through a giant war to let my rogue servitors' federation conquer the galaxy.

I'm not sure how those guys ended up being such a beloved member of that federation. Maybe they had a lock on elder care for most of the galaxy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

How do I turn off the voice announcer for "survey complete" while leaving it on for everything else?

2.0.1 with default settings for new player. I'm basically fast forwarding through a game and "survey complete" gets REAL old.

Is this possible to do? Still curious. I am new.