Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

quote:

Updated the autobalance feature to more quickly respond to team imbalances
Will select the best candidates to balance the teams then ask the candidates for volunteers
If no volunteers are found, candidates will be switched when they die
If no candidates die within a reasonable period of time, candidates will be forcibly switched to the other team
Did they just fully revert the autobalance system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

ArfJason posted:

Updated past Saxxy and Memory Maker items to be Strange

huh

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Lag compensation system will now reliably restore pose parameters responsible for animation layering
This makes server-side hitboxes for lag compensated players better match client-side rendered models

Edit-

sockpuppetclock posted:

Did they just fully revert the autobalance system?

I'm so excited to get switched over to the other team then kicked for beating their asses too hard.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Im so happy

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I just shot a guy with 900 ping in the head and he actually loving died they seem to have done the impossible.

Also the casual servers are back up

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

ArfJason posted:

Im so happy

Call you parents and let them know.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

King Lazer posted:

Team Fortress 2 got a pretty good update today.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=38643

quote:

Added ctf_sawmill, ctf_well, cp_5gorge to Casual Mode

That is everything I needed to know. :getin:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

King Lazer posted:

TF2 is back baby everybody jump on engineer and start blasting hadokens

Yeehaw-doken

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

valve bring back arena mode

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Simsmagic posted:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Simsmagic posted:

Go play counter strike

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Simsmagic posted:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

We Know Catheters posted:

Go play counter strike

no

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've only skimmed those notes but the flame thrower changes seem great. In practice is it working out when you play (you don't die really quickly if a pyro just tickles you)?

Also the match making changes seem nice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sydney Sleeper minicrits on headshots now? Huh. Guess it's more of a training wheels sniper rifle now.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Jippa posted:

I've only skimmed those notes but the flame thrower changes seem great. In practice is it working out when you play (you don't die really quickly if a pyro just tickles you)?

Flamethrower changes are definitely a big improvement.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Trip report: While better, the axtinguisher is still a pain to actually use since the airblast changes tend to make it hard to actually lock someone down where you want them against a wall. They tend to ping off at odd angles and slip away, making it easier to just...keep flaming.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Simsmagic posted:

Legit I only played arena mode way back when around 2009-2011. I really liked the idea that a single player would win by himself if he was good enough, something that's not really possible usually for the other modes like Payload (although a good enough player can certainly do a lot at least). I miss playing arena_sawmill, arena _badlands, arena_lumberyard, arena_granary, arena_offblast_final and arena_watchtower. They added a new arena map ages ago but it was janky poo poo that only benefitted soldiers and demos.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Also, what's the best maps for practicing? Is it still just tr_walkway and some console commands to fix it?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

They added a new arena map ages ago but it was janky poo poo that only benefitted soldiers and demos.

Isn't this all of TF2 tho

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Anyone else seeing any new surveys at the end of maps? Just got one asking how I feel about random crits, which I don't think I've seen before.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Isn't this all of TF2 tho

Some maps benefit Scouts.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
welp the flying scout exploit is rampant

see you next patch guys

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

new competitive queue is broken, I queued for 4 hours and got no matches

axtinguisher only does 113 damage so it's more effort than just holding M1 and has roughly the same kill time

gently caress valve for killing the atomizer

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

axtinguisher only does 113 damage so it's more effort than just holding M1 and has roughly the same kill time

Yeah, with how the airblast works now it's a lot harder to land an axtinguisher hit as it is. The people you'd want to use it on because it will kill them will be able to slip away or just punish you for meleeing them, while the people you would be able to hit will survive anyway.

cock hero flux posted:

gently caress valve for killing the atomizer

The atomizer is

hmm

It just feels really unwieldy now. Pull it out, wait forever. I'd prefer they gave it a penalty to holstering than this. That would have made it harder to switch and heckle opponents while still allowing you to actually use it quickly. It already has a deploy penalty too, so having to wait until it's fully out to use it just takes way too loving long.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Slime posted:

Yeah, with how the airblast works now it's a lot harder to land an axtinguisher hit as it is. The people you'd want to use it on because it will kill them will be able to slip away or just punish you for meleeing them, while the people you would be able to hit will survive anyway.

The fact that it extinguishes also means that it can fail to kill scouts if you puff them and then follow through with the axe. They'll survive with like 2 hp sometimes.

The idea behind the atomizer is you have to pull it out before you start jumping to get any extra air, at which point you might as well just use the Winger anyway because it's the same thing but without a switch penalty.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

The fact that it extinguishes also means that it can fail to kill scouts if you puff them and then follow through with the axe. They'll survive with like 2 hp sometimes.

The idea behind the atomizer is you have to pull it out before you start jumping to get any extra air, at which point you might as well just use the Winger anyway because it's the same thing but without a switch penalty.

The Winger leaves you with a weaker backup weapon. Atomizer gives pistol scouts added maneuverability outside of combat without any real drawback, which is why they're so allergic to letting it be good.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

I've been using the scorch shot instead of the axtinguisher. Puff, airblast away to put them in a position you can control a little more, fire a burny boy for like 60 initial damage if you hit with the projectile and they eat the exploding flare afterwards, plus some nasty afterburn.

I mean, it's better than it was before? But it's still, well, crap. Pyro's always going to have the issue of his melees being utility, because he's already got good close up damage. It needs to be real potent or have a situation it's real good at dealing with to be worth using something other than the powerjack or sometimes the backscratcher.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Slime posted:

I've been using the scorch shot instead of the axtinguisher. Puff, airblast away to put them in a position you can control a little more, fire a burny boy for like 60 initial damage if you hit with the projectile and they eat the exploding flare afterwards, plus some nasty afterburn.

I mean, it's better than it was before? But it's still, well, crap. Pyro's always going to have the issue of his melees being utility, because he's already got good close up damage. It needs to be real potent or have a situation it's real good at dealing with to be worth using something other than the powerjack or sometimes the backscratcher.

The original axtinguisher was totally fine and there was no reason to nerf it in the first place. They keep trying different things but it's never going to usable unless they make it do at least 150 damage a swing, especially now that airblast is pretty much useless for controlling enemy positioning.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I think the nerf reasoning switched entirely from "not fun to fight against" to "fun to use, can't have that".

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Speaking of fun, have they unnerfed the caber and loch n load yet?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
When the Axtinguisher was good, nobody ever used any other Pyro melee, because when you've got a weapon that oneshots or near-oneshots most of the cast for basically no effort, why use anything else? At least now there's more real options (though everyone just uses the Powerjack, really).

Same thing with the Atomizer - it was a no-brainer pick.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

When the Axtinguisher was good, nobody ever used any other Pyro melee, because when you've got a weapon that oneshots or near-oneshots most of the cast for basically no effort, why use anything else? At least now there's more real options (though everyone just uses the Powerjack, really).

Same thing with the Atomizer - it was a no-brainer pick.

When the axtinguisher was good people either used it or the powerjack. Now that it's bad people just use the powerjack. Also now that you can't lock people down with airblast getting axe hits is trickier.

The atomizer was the only scout melee that did anything. Now you just pick one at random that isn't the sandman and never ever switch to it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i use the fish obviously

or the sword if im role playing

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The problem is that a lot of the melee weapons just suck. They were pretty much just meant to be emergency options in case you were out of ammo or something at first, so there was no reason to ever use them over primary or secondaries in most cases. (Demo's bottle is pretty much the only real stock melee weapon that would see use in a fight, because he has no other safe close range options.) Then melee weapons with other effects started getting released and now the best melees to use are the ones that give a significant effect.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

In general at this point melees should just be a utility slot where options all have benefits and downsides not just for the melee weapon and stock is just when you don't want to put up with any of the downsides of other melees. Maybe have one melee that's actually for hitting people like the axetinguisher that also comes with a downside which applies to nonmelee stuff(say, 200 damage to burning players but reduced flamethrower damage so you need to be using it to finish people).

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 30, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just use the Homewrecker. Occasionally even against enemy buildings.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Added: "Sketchek's Bequest: Killing blows on burning players grant a speed boost"

We never heard back from him, did we? :smith:

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Most of my matches are pretty one-sided affairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Remember when "a jar of piss" was an April Fool's joke weapon idea?