Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

happyhippy posted:

I think this starred a black rapper and early 90s but not sure.
Guy gets taken out into the woods on a hunting trip by his work mates, and finds out he is the one being hunted.
And instead of legging it he doubles back and starts killing them all one by one.

Surviving the Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sponges posted:

Surviving the Game

loving perfect, thank you.
I don't remember Rutger Hauer and Gary Busey in it, so added bonus!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Watch Hard Target, Avenging Force, and Deadly Prey right after.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Nvm way late

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Finally found a movie I'd been trying to find for a long time. I must have posted about it in this thread or a previous thread or some other one many years ago, and have asked film friends about it a lot over the years. Every time I'd describe it, people would think I was misremembering Big Trouble in Little China or something. But nope, it's real, and it's Buddha's Palm! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChArcx5_M4

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

codyclarke posted:

Finally found a movie I'd been trying to find for a long time. I must have posted about it in this thread or a previous thread or some other one many years ago, and have asked film friends about it a lot over the years. Every time I'd describe it, people would think I was misremembering Big Trouble in Little China or something. But nope, it's real, and it's Buddha's Palm! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChArcx5_M4

That's, like, every wuxia movie.

Try Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain, Holy Flame of the Martial World, or The Evil Cult if you want more of that.

Edit: I guess the giant trap-rooms are more like something from a Yuen Brothers comedy.

Edit2: Don't get me wrong, Buddha's Palm looks awesome and I haven't seen it before and I love wuxia so I'm totally going to be tracking it down and watching it.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 29, 2018

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

moller posted:

Watch Hard Target, Avenging Force, and Deadly Prey right after.

I saw Hard Target a few years afterwards, and I loved the gearshift from less insane than Surviving the Game into significantly more insane than Surviving the Game somewhere around the police detective getting iced but definitely before the snake scene.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hard Target is some drat win

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
This one has been infrequently haunting my dim brain for unknown reasons since seeing it probably around the early/mid 80s.

Super-vague memories: a scientist has created a realistic male android for the government but conscience makes him release the bot into 80s USA. Lots of Frankenstein allegories (probably stated outright 'cos I wasn't good at understanding things back then). Creator maybe dies or abandons the robot in a diner. Very down beat and low key feel to the film (likely due to a shoe-string budget in retrospect). And I think the climax is set in a dark and gloomy astronomic observatory.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
This stirs some memories, but what I'm thinking of was a TV series or miniseries, and might have been British.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ynohtna posted:

This one has been infrequently haunting my dim brain for unknown reasons since seeing it probably around the early/mid 80s.

Super-vague memories: a scientist has created a realistic male android for the government but conscience makes him release the bot into 80s USA. Lots of Frankenstein allegories (probably stated outright 'cos I wasn't good at understanding things back then). Creator maybe dies or abandons the robot in a diner. Very down beat and low key feel to the film (likely due to a shoe-string budget in retrospect). And I think the climax is set in a dark and gloomy astronomic observatory.

Maybe D.A.R.Y.L.?

Edit to add: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088979/

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Nope, it's not D.A.R.Y.L. - the android in the film I'm forgetting was an adult man - but that's a top vintage film reference!

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I remember watching what I think was a collection of short experimental art films about sex, or with an erotic theme, maybe 5-6 years ago. It was at an arthouse cinema that often screens things like that, like "The Best Short Films from Sundance 2017" or whatever, collections of short films or art films. It's possible that the theme was not actually erotic, but just that the films involving sex stood out the most to me.

Anyway my memories of it are pretty vague but I think one of the shorts involved a nature scene with a naked man's lower body in the foreground, with make up and props to make it look like part of the forest floor, and he slowly gets an erection so that it looks like some kind of simple animal waking up and exploring the air, or better like one of those time-lapse videos of a mushroom growing. I think there were multiple related scenes like this, including one in a mechanical setting in which his body was painted to look like part of a truck or construction equipment and again he just gets a boner in real time with no cuts or camera movement??

I also seem to recall one of the other short films in this collection being set in a futuristic living room with lots of smooth round furniture and bizarre glass fixtures in uncomfortable colors, and a woman is like peeing in these colored glass bowls or there's something to do with excretion and body functions. Almost like a deleted scene from the middle section of The Holy Mountain, with the surreal decor and color palette.

If these are really art films of the type that usually get shown in contemporary art galleries, and not a movie of some sort, it probably won't be identifiable but it's worth a shot. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Just remembered I think another one involved a closeup of a mouth pressed up against glass. Possibly with jams and other liquids involved. Google has led me to some interesting websites with big collections of short erotic films hosted on Vimeo, maybe I will actually track these things down.

Radio du Cambodge fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 8, 2018

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

ynohtna posted:

Almost sounds like the computer that wore tennis shoes. But that’s definitely not it.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I think there were multiple related scenes like this, including one in a mechanical setting in which his body was painted to look like part of a truck or construction equipment and again he just gets a boner in real time with no cuts or camera movement??

This kinda sounds like Matthew Barney’s Hoist from the Districted short film series

SUPER NSFW

https://www.google.com/amp/categorized-art-collection.tumblr.com/post/60277474888/matthew-barney-hoist-film-stills-full-length/amp

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Wow that is definitely it, quite different from what I remembered but definitely it, and Destricted is exactly the series I was thinking of. Thanks!!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

ynohtna posted:

Backed into this one with some digging but perhaps this is a match?

Prototype with Christopher Plummer?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084546/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2JaqOEsAAQ

Edit: Holy crap, that's a really young David Morse.

Edit2: Questor Tapes by Gene Roddenberry also seems to have some similar descriptions: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070585/

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 9, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Ape Agitator posted:

Backed into this one with some digging but perhaps this is a match?

Prototype with Christopher Plummer?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084546/

Yes, that's it, thanks! :woop:

Being a telly movie explains the low budget feel, and I'm sure Morse & Plummer's acting aplomb are the reason it's left such an impression on me.

Thank you, and also thanks for the other guesses, folks. The pool of 80s robot films is large and deep so I really appreciate the effort. :cheers:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Someone is drinking and they turn their glass over and use it to trap an insect or something on the bar. That's all I've got to go on unfortunately.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Pilchenstein posted:

Someone is drinking and they turn their glass over and use it to trap an insect or something on the bar. That's all I've got to go on unfortunately.

Constantine?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

LesterGroans posted:

Constantine?
In my mind's eye it was a shot glass rather than a tumbler but I think that's probably it, cheers. :v:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Pilchenstein posted:

There is a scene like that in Carlito's Way. Al Pacino traps a roach under a glass while contemplating how he is trapped by circumstances.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

I think Daniel Craig does something like that with a scorpion in one of the James Bond movies?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Sir Nose posted:

I think Daniel Craig does something like that with a scorpion in one of the James Bond movies?

Yeah, that's what I had thought of too. Near the beginning of Skyfall

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I just watched that clip and it was definitely Skyfall - cheers all.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
A high school friend put this on in a lab years ago, so it must have been 2005-06, and I think it must have been fairly recent given its look. It was almost certainly Scandinavian. We only watched the first 20 minutes or so, which I think were completely dialogue-free. It consisted of lots of tableaux of very pristine rooms in some Scandinavian city at night, and which were always grotesque (though I don't remember most of the details). I mostly remember naked old men as recurring image. Up to the point that we watched, I couldn't really tell you what kind of story it was leading to.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Request from a friend. Netflix movie: "It had a boy in it who list his dad, and all the boy had left was a journal. He ends up dropping the journal in a stream or lake and loses it. There's also a tall guy who is a professor and has a big house, and a girl that's the same age as the boy." Ring any bells?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A friend asked me if I had ever seen a movie that :

"The intro might have been animated, maybe stop motion and I think it was like moving eyeballs and intestinal poo poo. It was gloomy as gently caress and started with a man who was traveling by horse and carriage and stays at a dirty rear end tavern. Meets a bloke who is going to get murdered by the people there but he pays for his life or something and takes him with him. And they going down a road in the carriage and there's a modern car crashed in the background. But they don't even acknowledge it"

I'm driving myself insane searching for this

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Trying to remember the name of a horror movie from about...5–7 years ago. The very loose gist is a family moves to a small town, and a neighbor's teenage daughter (or something) is pregnant and acting kind of possessed. Spooky things start happening. The main character thinks she might be carrying to a demon/the devil's child or something. The movie goes along making you think that, but then it's revealed she had a regular boyfriend who she's had sex with, so they assume it's a regular baby and all the stuff was just a spooky coincidence. But then a twist! She was in fact carrying a demon's child. I think the movie ended with a scene of her giving birth around a fire in the woods are something and then the demon child kills people.

I don't watch much horror, and I feel like this might sound like a lot of other movies, but I'd appreciate the help.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Graviija posted:

Trying to remember the name of a horror movie from about...5–7 years ago. The very loose gist is a family moves to a small town, and a neighbor's teenage daughter (or something) is pregnant and acting kind of possessed. Spooky things start happening. The main character thinks she might be carrying to a demon/the devil's child or something. The movie goes along making you think that, but then it's revealed she had a regular boyfriend who she's had sex with, so they assume it's a regular baby and all the stuff was just a spooky coincidence. But then a twist! She was in fact carrying a demon's child. I think the movie ended with a scene of her giving birth around a fire in the woods are something and then the demon child kills people.

I don't watch much horror, and I feel like this might sound like a lot of other movies, but I'd appreciate the help.

This is probably The Last Exorcism

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

LesterGroans posted:

Some parts sound like it but most of it doesn’t. I’d suggest you ask in the horror thread they can probably sort out whether this is one of the countless possession movies of the last decade or a chimera of several

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

A friend asked me if I had ever seen a movie that :

"The intro might have been animated, maybe stop motion and I think it was like moving eyeballs and intestinal poo poo. It was gloomy as gently caress and started with a man who was traveling by horse and carriage and stays at a dirty rear end tavern. Meets a bloke who is going to get murdered by the people there but he pays for his life or something and takes him with him. And they going down a road in the carriage and there's a modern car crashed in the background. But they don't even acknowledge it"

I'm driving myself insane searching for this

Svenkmajer's Lunacy.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

DeimosRising posted:

Some parts sound like it but most of it doesn’t. I’d suggest you ask in the horror thread they can probably sort out whether this is one of the countless possession movies of the last decade or a chimera of several

I'm not the horror thread but it sure does sound like The Last Exorcism by someone who doesn't remember it completely.
How you could forget the banana bread recipe, I don't know, but whatever.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

LesterGroans posted:

That's it! I definitely hosed up some of the details, though. Glad you were able to sort through it—thanks!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Graviija posted:

That's it! I definitely hosed up some of the details, though. Glad you were able to sort through it—thanks!

It’s good and the sequel is wild rear end

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Svenkmajer's Lunacy.

Awesome thanks.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I'm looking for a film that my boyfriend has been searching for for TWENTY years. Trying to surprise him with the title but he doesn't have a lot of detail to go on.

He saw it on TV in Canada (Showcase or Bravo possibly) late at night, about 20 years ago and guesses it was either American or Canadian. No clue if it was a short or feature.
POSSIBLY black & white, not horror but a creepy, arthouse or experimental vibe. He thinks 70s, maybe late 60s. Super low budget.

All he can recall with certainty is 2 old men wandering around the upstairs of a darkened house. There might have been a TV on in one of the rooms.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
99% of the time people ask for a black and white creepy experimental art film in here, it turns out to be Begotten.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

It's 100% not Begotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cookiefulloarsenic
Oct 30, 2011
Your description sounds a lot like an episode of the 1960s Boris Karloff tv series Thriller, “Pigeons from Hell.” It opens with two young men camping out in an abandoned house overnight. Two older men become involved in the story later.

https://youtu.be/vOG7D1r412M