Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Memento posted:

It's a good film! It has Viggo, Scourge of Carpathia in it, and the Statue of Liberty squashes that one dude's car.

GB2 is just a beat-for-beat remake of the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Von Linus posted:

He was on a toughman tv show once. I saw him and went 'That's him that is'. Then he lost.
My first exposure to Hardbody Harrison was seeing him on that Toughman show where they had guys from different professions fighting each other. The episode was Wrestlers vs. Firefighters. He beat his first opponent with one punch, which he called his "biscuit cutter," and his second opponent with a single 1-2, which he called his "pork chop." Then he lost his third fight. I never saw him wrestle or heard from him again until I saw the news article about him being charged with false imprisonment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For some reason I assumed he was like a 1920s bear wrestler, not a 90s WCW guy.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Ghostbusters 2 is the second best movie of all time and Ghostbusters is the best movie of all time

It's just what it is, you might not like it or agree but that's reality and it doesn't respect you and you just have to deal

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

Evolution was the worst of the four :sigh:

Hey, I thought Evolution was okay. :(

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Evolution was not as good as the Fourtune Four. They're going to change some things, dont you know.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Timby posted:

GB2 is just a beat-for-beat remake of the original.

But that's everything I wanted.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

But that's everything I wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaTHDIDC5Bw

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Was expecting to get the music video for On Our Own.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

GB2 was the first one I saw as a kid. We recorded it off of PPV and I watched it over and over. Didn't see the original until years later. So while Ghostbusters is a better movie, 2 always wins in my nostalgia.

This is the movie forum right

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Impact thread for video games, questions thread for movies.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
How often has someone in WWE made their debut as a wrestler and had a meaningful singles run, and then transitioned into being a manager after?

Not counting injury (Paige, Rude) and departures/long breaks/etc

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Paracaidas posted:

How often has someone in WWE made their debut as a wrestler and had a meaningful singles run, and then transitioned into being a manager after?

Not counting injury (Paige, Rude) and departures/long breaks/etc

I you count WWWF, then Captain Lou, Mr Fuji and Luscious Johnny V would be your answers.

Counterfeit
May 20, 2007

Jackie D posted:

Whenever I ask people to name a comedy sequel that was good the answer is always "Ghostbusters 2 was ok"

Hot Shots! Part Deux

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Numero6 posted:

I you count WWWF, then Captain Lou, Mr Fuji and Luscious Johnny V would be your answers.

You could add both Arnold Skaaland and Freddie Blassie to that list too.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jackie D posted:

Whenever I ask people to name a comedy sequel that was good the answer is always "Ghostbusters 2 was ok"

christmas vacation, evil dead 2, abbott and costello meet frankenstein

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Probably been asked before but is there an actual difference between a Lariat, Axe Bomber and Western Lariat?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i know that WWE wrestlers are allowed to do indie dates if they aren't booked and the company approves it, so if there was an opening and someone wanted to work PWG, would they be allowed? I can't imagine WWE would let their talent be used to sell DVDs and tickets like that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

i know that WWE wrestlers are allowed to do indie dates if they aren't booked and the company approves it, so if there was an opening and someone wanted to work PWG, would they be allowed? I can't imagine WWE would let their talent be used to sell DVDs and tickets like that

No. WWE wrestlers are not allowed to take indie dates. They are sometimes booked to do outside shows as a favor to a promoter but this is exceptionally rare.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

We've talked about Konnan, La Parka, the Villanos and El Dandy some, and we know about Rey and Juvy. But what about the other Luchadores WCW brought in in the 90's? What was their 'deal' so to speak? Were they all popular acts in Mexico? Were there some scrubs mixed in?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
related to the immediatley preceding post, was Hector Garza employed solely due to his doing the corkscrew plancha?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

We've talked about Konnan, La Parka, the Villanos and El Dandy some, and we know about Rey and Juvy. But what about the other Luchadores WCW brought in in the 90's? What was their 'deal' so to speak? Were they all popular acts in Mexico? Were there some scrubs mixed in?

Lizmark Jr was pretty bad but had a great body so people expected him to become a star.

Hector Garza had a body and a ton of charisma, he was tapped to be a star immediately, didn't fully live up to his potential. Personally I think the corkscrew plancha is the least impressive move in lucha. Flips not twists.

Ciclope was Halloween, he and Damian became part of Perros Del Mal.

Psicosis was a great wrestler but when he returned to Mexico the Psicosis gimmick had been given to someone else and he became Nicho El Millionario.

Silver King is actually Dr. Wagner's son/brother of Dr. Wagner Jr. He is a legitimately big star on his own and had been wrestling for over a decade before WCW. He lost his mask at like, age 20 or something crazy like that. He eventually remasked as Silver Cain and it caused a bit of a stir when he did.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I too want to know more about Super Calo and Silver King. Were they the Randy Savage or Jake the Snake of Mexico?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Probably been asked before but is there an actual difference between a Lariat, Axe Bomber and Western Lariat?

The Axe Bomber is a running clothesline, straight arm out to the side run into the guy. It’s not a lariat at all.

A western lariat is apparently a lariat without a run, although Hansen ran into it plenty.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

The Axe Bomber is a running clothesline, straight arm out to the side run into the guy. It’s not a lariat at all.

A western lariat is apparently a lariat without a run, although Hansen ran into it plenty.

I'm pretty sure I've heard western lariat used to describe left-arm lariats in general too, though this could be by people who are making it up.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Axe Bomber is supposed to have the arm bent at a 45 degree angle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Welll, I meant straight as in he just holds it to his side and the arm doesn't move, not like a T-pose straight arm.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Suzuki-gun have taught me any move can be an Axe Bomber as long as you tell "Axe Bomber!" while doing it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Suzuki-gun have taught me any move can be an Axe Bomber as long as you tell "Axe Bomber!" while doing it.

I'm pretty sure Hogan would agree with that. It's also such an Inoki thing to go "oh, you botched that move and knocked me out for real? That's your finish now!"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure Hogan would agree with that. It's also such an Inoki thing to go "oh, you botched that move and knocked me out for real? That's your finish now!"

He should have kept it as his finish. His hip would probably be in better shape if he did.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Lizmark Jr was pretty bad but had a great body so people expected him to become a star.

Hector Garza had a body and a ton of charisma, he was tapped to be a star immediately, didn't fully live up to his potential. Personally I think the corkscrew plancha is the least impressive move in lucha. Flips not twists.

Ciclope was Halloween, he and Damian became part of Perros Del Mal.

Psicosis was a great wrestler but when he returned to Mexico the Psicosis gimmick had been given to someone else and he became Nicho El Millionario.

Silver King is actually Dr. Wagner's son/brother of Dr. Wagner Jr. He is a legitimately big star on his own and had been wrestling for over a decade before WCW. He lost his mask at like, age 20 or something crazy like that. He eventually remasked as Silver Cain and it caused a bit of a stir when he did.

Didn't he also wear the Ramses mask/gimmick from nacho libre for a while?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

No.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
:eng101: A Northern lariat IS different though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sean10mm posted:

:eng101: A Northern lariat IS different though.
Has Roode ever had an interesting finisher?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MassRafTer posted:

Ciclope was Halloween
Mind blown.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't he also wear the Ramses mask/gimmick from nacho libre for a while?

He did, and according to Rocky Romero it made him even more of an rear end in a top hat than he already was.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
What's the perception of wrestling as a profession in Japan, versus the US?

Like I feel in the US, there's still a perception of wrestling as a low-class, odd carnival act outside of the very very top. Not a very respectable profession compared to other athletes

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

THis dude is big over, wow

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

STAC Goat posted:

Mind blown.

look at this idiot who thought Ciclope was Dean Malenko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

What's the perception of wrestling as a profession in Japan, versus the US?

Like I feel in the US, there's still a perception of wrestling as a low-class, odd carnival act outside of the very very top. Not a very respectable profession compared to other athletes

Back when I studied in Fukuoka, the wrestling fans I've met said that people are mostly indifferent, like it's another sports category or something. The worst I've seen people say is "it's lame", but the general image of pro wrestling seems to be "big buff guys beating each other up".