Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ok don't you see the conflict of interest in allowing Australia to determine the success of Australia's gun buyback funded with Australian tax dollars in Australia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ok don't you see the conflict of interest in allowing Australia to determine the success of Australia's gun buyback funded with Australian tax dollars in Australia?

lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hahahahaha

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I feel like gun control is an attempt to treat the symptom of the problem and not the root cause.

And anecdotally, most pro gun control people I've met have been the kind of middle class who view the working class as almost subhuman.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Canemacar posted:

I feel like gun control is an attempt to treat the symptom of the problem and not the root cause.

The symptom is thousands of murders and suicides every year. That's a pretty serious symptom! One worthy of treatment, imo. And treating the symptom doesn't stop us from trying to cure the root cause. That's a false dichotomy pro-gun people use to try to distract from the need for gun control. We can ban semi-automatic guns and work to end capitalism at the same time.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

The symptom is thousands of murders and suicides every year. That's a pretty serious symptom! One worthy of treatment, imo. And treating the symptom doesn't stop us from trying to cure the root cause. That's a false dichotomy pro-gun people use to try to distract from the need for gun control. We can ban semi-automatic guns and work to end capitalism at the same time.

How would banning semi-autos prevent murder and suicide? It only takes one, after all.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Canemacar posted:

I think that's true, but I also think that gun ownership is an attempt to treat symptoms and not causes.

Sorry, folks. Accept Christ and Buddha or wander in misery.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If all you want is a box to shitpost from and email things, sure, that would still be fine.
What kind of things would you have a laptop for that one like this can't do?

mind the walrus posted:

Is it your primary computing device?
Nope, because getting a laptop that would do what I use my desktop for would have cost a ridiculous amount of money and made it less good for the things a laptop is good for. Don't buy a fork and complain that you can't eat soup with it, and don't buy a laptop if what you actually need is a desktop. They're different devices with different purposes and capabilities.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Guy Goodbody posted:

A big benefit of my ban is that it would shut down production of semi-automatic guns in the US, which would be a huge blow to the global small arms trade.

loving :laffo: that you think the US would do anything to hurt the global arms trade, especially the sales it directly benefits from.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

What kind of things would you have a laptop for that one like this can't do?

Nope, because getting a laptop that would do what I use my desktop for would have cost a ridiculous amount of money and made it less good for the things a laptop is good for. Don't buy a fork and complain that you can't eat soup with it, and don't buy a laptop if what you actually need is a desktop. They're different devices with different purposes and capabilities.

I move a lot and it would be impractical to have a desktop.

e: when I woke up and saw over 30 new posts in this thread and the peeve thread I was like "good lord what stupid poo poo did I post this time", but nope, just gun control debate and misterbibs, respectively.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Mar 29, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dude if you googled it, you know drat well that there's a study to support any number from -69% to +420% change in gun crimes

Ah the classic “I countered your sources with a sex and week joke” maneuver.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MizPiz posted:

loving :laffo: that you think the US would do anything to hurt the global arms trade, especially the sales it directly benefits from.

to be fair they would simply start it up in another country that has their government cowed/bribed by ours so they can operate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Canemacar posted:

And anecdotally, most pro gun control people I've met have been the kind of middle class who view the working class as almost subhuman.

What is the root cause?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Canemacar posted:

Yes, however it is lot easier to limit access to murder tools, than it is to break apart the human animal (on a genetic level maybe?) and remove all the aggressive and suicidal tendencies within.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There may be cases where those giant, expensive laptops are the most practical option. Those cases are far less common than those laptops are though. I know so many people who own laptops that never leave their desks. That is the exact use to which a desktop computer is suited, but they had to have a laptop just in case they ever decided they wanted to take it somewhere, and it had to have a giant screen and be the most powerful one available.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

There may be cases where those giant, expensive laptops are the most practical option. Those cases are far less common than those laptops are though. I know so many people who own laptops that never leave their desks. That is the exact use to which a desktop computer is suited, but they had to have a laptop just in case they ever decided they wanted to take it somewhere, and it had to have a giant screen and be the most powerful one available.

I use the small thin+light ones (I had a surface book until it died, now I have a asus zenbook) and it suits my needs fine. I work on it, I play games on it, it's OK. The big bulky "gaming laptops" with 17+ inch screens are silly though, it defeats the point of it being portable if it's enormous and heavy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Canemacar posted:

How would banning semi-autos prevent murder and suicide? It only takes one, after all.

there would be less guns, so it would be more difficult to kill people. Semi-automatic guns are also way more effective at murder than regular guns. School shootings would be a lot tougher if you had to do them with a bolt action rifle

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

e: when I woke up and saw over 30 new posts in this thread and the peeve thread I was like "good lord what stupid poo poo did I post this time", but nope, just gun control debate and misterbibs, respectively.

Yeah agreed, I have an expensive laptop and I'm well aware a desktop would be better bang for my buck, and that this is one is clumsy to use portably, but there is literally nowhere in my small apartments where a desktop wouldn't be intrusive and out-of-place. I guess I could stick it in the coat closet and stream it to a laptop.

Peeve: "gun control in Chicago/wherever doesn't work libtards, checkmate"

No poo poo it doesn't, there is no customs checkpoint upon entering or leaving Chicago. Legal and illegal guns can very easily enter the city.

Also, as long as handguns are legal mass shooting and your bog standard murders and muggings-gone-bad are going to keep happening at the same rate. Yeah there are incidents like Vegas where larger weapons were more effective for his chosen method of attack but those are a drop in the bucket. Someone with a death wish walking into a school or somewhere can still mass murder with a few handguns and handguns are overwhelmingly used in crimes where the perp actually plans on getting away.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Generally people who point out Chicago to make a point have never been here

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Generally people who point out Chicago to make a point have never been here

Having lived in basically nothing but rough Chicago neighborhoods my entire adult life (outside of 3 years in Arizona and the last couple in a nicer neighborhood), I can tell you that you kinda have to be an idiot to get shot in Chicago.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

What is the root cause?

Same root cause as a lot of the unrest in this country. You couldn't do a full list without writing an essay, but a few highlight are; the state of mental health in this country, increasing poverty as the economy becomes more automated and globalized, the palpable sense that our generation will not do as well as the ones before us, loss of faith in our corrupt public institutions, and that society is in some kind of transitional phase as it adapts to the 21st century and people don't quite know what to do with themselves.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Canemacar posted:

Same root cause as a lot of the unrest in this country. You couldn't do a full list without writing an essay, but a few highlight are; the state of mental health in this country, increasing poverty as the economy becomes more automated and globalized, the palpable sense that our generation will not do as well as the ones before us, loss of faith in our corrupt public institutions, and that society is in some kind of transitional phase as it adapts to the 21st century and people don't quite know what to do with themselves.

It's quicker to just say capitalism.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's quicker to just say capitalism.

That's a very reductionist take. Shifting economies, wealth inequalities, corrupt governments, and social upheaval in times of change have been universal constants throughout history.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The thing is even if we banned semi-automatic weapons (which most people arguing for their banning don't even understand what that actually means), it still wouldn't satisfy everyone. There would be a mass shooting with a pump action shotgun and then they'd call for the banning of those, and so on and so on. Just say what you really want: a total gun ban instead of tiptoeing around it to try and appeal to voters.

I honestly wouldn't mind a gun ban as long as adequate protection for citizens was put in place. Put the national guard to work and patrol the streets and impose strict curfews at night (unless you had the proper paperwork for working at night) and crime rates would plummet.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The thing is even if we banned semi-automatic weapons (which most people arguing for their banning don't even understand what that actually means), it still wouldn't satisfy everyone. There would be a mass shooting with a pump action shotgun and then they'd call for the banning of those, and so on and so on. Just say what you really want: a total gun ban instead of tiptoeing around it to try and appeal to voters.

I honestly wouldn't mind a gun ban as long as adequate protection for citizens was put in place. Put the national guard to work and patrol the streets and impose strict curfews at night (unless you had the proper paperwork for working at night) and crime rates would plummet.

Bitch, don't tell me what I want. I want a semi automatic gun ban, and I know what that means. Guns aren't that complex. and your hypothetical mass shooting with a pump action shotgun is gonna kill way fewer people than the real life mass shootings we already have with AR-15s

And holy poo poo what you want is a loving dystopian nightmare

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Banning whatever class of guns means fewer overall guns being used in the country and that means fewer deaths. We'll never stop all gun violence but that doesn't mean you just do nothing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Declare martial law. It's the only safe way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Canemacar posted:

That's a very reductionist take. Shifting economies, wealth inequalities, corrupt governments, and social upheaval in times of change have been universal constants throughout history.

So the root problems are nebulous concepts that are literally impossible to eradicate.

Seems like treating the symptoms is the way to go.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

look I'm just really skeptical of all these people with ideas for how to improve the world. What are they really after? Anyway, I think everybody should be hooked up to those blood draining factories from Daybreakers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

See, this guy gets it. Just be friendly to your local guard on the corner and you'll be fine, unless you break the law.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

So the root problems are nebulous concepts that are literally impossible to eradicate.

Seems like treating the symptoms is the way to go.

I'm not sure that giving up on improving people's lives and just passing laws to restrict their freedoms is a good way to go.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Canemacar posted:

I'm not sure that giving up on improving people's lives and just passing laws to restrict their freedoms is a good way to go.

Dude, I am 100% in favor ending capitalism. But children are being murdered now. Let's do both, quick fixes and long term structural solutions.

Just say you're opposed to gun control. Nobody is fooled by those false choices anymore, we all know it's just a trick to get people to stop talking about gun control.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

barbeque sauce is gross

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

barbeque sauce is gross

I've had some spicy barbeque sauce that was alright but honestly just plain old hotsauce is better 99% of the time. It doesn't even have to be burn your rear end in a top hat spicy, just spicy plus butter is delicious.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solice Kirsk posted:

Having lived in basically nothing but rough Chicago neighborhoods my entire adult life (outside of 3 years in Arizona and the last couple in a nicer neighborhood), I can tell you that you kinda have to be an idiot to get shot in Chicago.

Hmm yes my friend I totally agree but instead of shooting victims who are dumb it’s rape victims I think are the idiots

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dude, I am 100% in favor ending capitalism. But children are being murdered now. Let's do both, quick fixes and long term structural solutions.

Just say you're opposed to gun control. Nobody is fooled by those false choices anymore, we all know it's just a trick to get people to stop talking about gun control.

I thought it was clear I don't support gun control. I don't think it's an effective solution anymore than Prohibition stopped people from drinking or the War on Drugs stopped people from using drugs.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The real solution is just to make guns obscenely expensive. The only reason AR15s are used regularly in mass shootings is they are really cheap. There's nothing special about them, the media just latched on to them because they look+sound scary. Just jack the price up by 10-50 times and the nutjobs will have to at least work for a while to get the gun (leading to a decrease in unemployment).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Canemacar posted:

I thought it was clear I don't support gun control. I don't think it's an effective solution anymore than Prohibition stopped people from drinking or the War on Drugs stopped people from using drugs.

What do you think of laws against drunk driving? I mean why even bother making it illegal if people will keep doing it right?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

What do you think of laws against drunk driving? I mean why even bother making it illegal if people will keep doing it right?

Exactly. Thats why we should decriminalize murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Canemacar posted:

If you could point to a first world country that had a thriving black market gun trade, on the scale of alcohol during prohibition or drugs during now, that would be terrific.

But the great thing about my extremely reasonable semi-auto ban compromise solution is that people can still have guns! You can buy all the bolt-action rifles and revolvers and black powder cannons you heart desires! You can even have folding stocks and pistol grips and bayonet lugs and My Little Pony decals to customize them! Responsible Gun Owners will be fine under my proposed plan! Kids won't have to live in fear of being mowed down by a school shooter, and people who like guns will still be able to shoot cans on the weekend. Since those are both equally important things, apparently, my plan solves the problem nicely.