Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
remember when target left canada because it turned out replacing every single zellars was a really dumbass idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

duz posted:

reminds me of the time i was on the bus and a guy tried to pass the bus on the inside to beat it to the onramp. they didnt make it and instead stopped their car in traffic and got out and shook their fist at the bus as it passed by.

i love it when fuckers get theirs, especially when it’s motorists getting owned by mass transit.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I was banned from Walmart until I was 18 because of shoplifting. So it does happen. But my shoplifting was on the "have to do it every day just to eat" level so ya they probably don't give a poo poo if you're some disaffected suburban gently caress snatching the occasional pound puppy for kicks.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my mom worked there back in the late 80s/early 90s and she had to try and bust shoplifters, so they definitely cared more at one time.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Nagoya. In Kamimaezu. I will see if I can pull up the name.

Thanks! No worries, I think I found it already.

It's Trattoria Cesari, right?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Stymie posted:

fun fact: walmart doesn't stop or even deter shoplifters because they've done studies and found out people who shoplift from walmart still shop at walmart so unless they get really ambitious with the shoplifting walmart still comes out ahead in terms of profit

target, however, invests heavily in anti-theft technologies/surveillance and vigorously prosecutes shoplifters and yet is still the more bougie choice for big box stores

ok but what if you just walk out with an entire shopping cart full of poo poo because there's only ever one cashier open and the line is like a mile long

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Improbable Lobster posted:

remember when target left canada because it turned out replacing every single zellars was a really dumbass idea

tbf, it's also because they were idiots in every other way and made 100% terrible decisions every step of the way

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

tbf, it's also because they were idiots in every other way and made 100% terrible decisions every step of the way

don't sign your posts!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a me, target canada!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
jeeeezus

https://twitter.com/yfreemark/status/979139182458269696

https://twitter.com/kimmaicutler/status/979142160405549057

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

it's a me, target canada!

loving knew it...

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

the target near me has self checkouts that lock themselves down if you try to remove anything you scanned or other things that I guess they believe self-checkout thieves would do, so then it ends up being faster to check out your stuff again on a fresh machine than to find someone to unfreeze the old one

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

the self checkouts at the grocery store near me are such trash i just go to the only manned register now

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Poniard posted:

the self checkouts at the grocery store near me are such trash i just go to the only manned register now

same, id rather wait in line and have a person do it than do the stores labor for them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Poniard posted:

lmfao enjoy your line going back to the end of the store because its only 1 manned register, and you cant checkout at self-checkouts with alcohol and other coupons n poo poo dont work right, so everyone is slammed into 1 manned lane

j/k the self-checkouts arent any faster because 4 out of 8 are broken at any given time, 2 are clogged up with please wait for assistance, another is being ran by an extremely confused person taht doesnt understand simple tasks, and the only employee running them all is off getting paid $3/hr and having to go also man the customer assistance, balloon, and deli at the same time.

its ok still becausec you get to ring up all your nice ripe/barely-rip organic produce as the cheapest non-organic deathpesticide 10 cent/lb veggies so thats cool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

cis autodrag posted:

I was banned from Walmart until I was 18 because of shoplifting. So it does happen. But my shoplifting was on the "have to do it every day just to eat" level so ya they probably don't give a poo poo if you're some disaffected suburban gently caress snatching the occasional pound puppy for kicks.

i got b& shoplifting there at age 13 and they said "dont ever come bck to walmart, banned for LIFE" lol as if theyre going to take a customer out of lifetime circulation for a $179 28.8kbps modem

25 years later I had a job that provided me r00t to every server on the walmart network. nice blacklist scrubs

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

when i worked at frys the loss prevention guys would suplex shoplifters in the parking lot, they didn't give a gently caress

our old LP guy used to do security for WWE shows and was scary as poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
somebody jacked a mobo and chip from the computer shop and i was changing light bulbs on a ladder. i ran outside and threw the ladder behind their lovely celica or w/e and they backed into the rungs and got stuck lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol i didn't realize that fry's had to pay $10 mil to a shoplifter that they threw head first into concrete and gave permanent brain damage

quote:

Hoopfer now lives in a care-home and has difficulties setting goals, planning and solving problems according to his attorney. His symptoms include headaches and depression.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Settlement-Reached-in-Shoplifter-Frys-Electronics-Lawsuit-195398511.html

this happened after i left so i have a feeling they aren't being so aggressive anymore

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

lol i didn't realize that fry's had to pay $10 mil to a shoplifter that they threw head first into concrete and gave permanent brain damage

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Settlement-Reached-in-Shoplifter-Frys-Electronics-Lawsuit-195398511.html

this happened after i left so i have a feeling they aren't being so aggressive anymore

this is america where its my god given right to murder someone over minor property damage or theft

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lol imagine being asked to hurt other people and endanger your own life for $7/hr all in the name of corporate profits for a several hundred billion dollar corporation

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

lol imagine being asked to hurt other people and endanger your own life for $7/hr all in the name of corporate profits for a several hundred billion dollar corporation

ive met plenty of people that would only do that job specifically for the chance to kick someones rear end legally for stealing a pack of pokemon cards or whatever

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

when they start letting old people intern as greeters they'll still byogun in trump's amerika

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
oh ya and you only get 36 hrs a week and scheduled stupidly different every day changing up every week so you can't work a second job, and no benefits lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Poniard posted:

Protip: 99% of the time it means the staff aren't cleaning the machines well

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

the place staffs like 6 people so i would not be surprised

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
The self checkouts here are fine. It’s the people using them that make me go to the cashier.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Xaris posted:

lol

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious
I take AC Transit's transbay buses to SF from Oakland (hands down best public transportation in the Bay Area), and my favorite lol in recent memory was a Tesla S driver who was pulled over by a motorcycle CHP at the SF-side bay bridge entrance because he was using the bus-only lane, which is usually totally wide open except for buses and the occasional taxi, to try to get around the standard clusterfuck that is bay bridge traffic at rush hour.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lenny Nero posted:

I take AC Transit's transbay buses to SF from Oakland (hands down best public transportation in the Bay Area), and my favorite lol in recent memory was a Tesla S driver who was pulled over by a motorcycle CHP at the SF-side bay bridge entrance because he was using the bus-only lane, which is usually totally wide open except for buses and the occasional taxi, to try to get around the standard clusterfuck that is bay bridge traffic at rush hour.
good

people use that poo poo all the time and its almost never enforced. theres usually a cop off bryant but essex/harrison entrance you can totally just zip around. if you go straight down harriso ntheres like a no right turn from like 5pm-8pm onto the ramp but its so short that everyone just does it anyway

also the best transit is the ferry. drink a beer, look at cool poo poo, never gets old. s

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FCKGW posted:

looks as if he was kind of poo poo at planning and solving problems before getting his rear end kicked.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jonny 290 posted:

somebody jacked a mobo and chip from the computer shop and i was changing light bulbs on a ladder. i ran outside and threw the ladder behind their lovely celica or w/e and they backed into the rungs and got stuck lol

I saw a guy from Guitar Center chase a shoplifter with a guitar across four lanes of traffic and a parking lot where the shoplifter managed to make it to their car to get away

only to not look when they turned right out of the parking lot so they immediately got t-boned by a Mercedes into a drainage ditch which they crawled out of just in time for the police to say hello.

made for some great entertainment as I watched from a restaurant patio.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kinda sad they shut down the shoplifting reddit, it was pretty funny

i like the guys that would steal from target and think they're getting away with something until one day they steal something that puts them over the threshold into felony territory and the cops immediately are at the dude's house

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

kinda sad they shut down the shoplifting reddit, it was pretty funny
they tried to bring it back as a "shoplifting rpg" forum where people were were just play-acting as shoplifters bragging about their totally-not-real stealing techniques but admins saw through their clever ruse

quote:

i like the guys that would steal from target and think they're getting away with something until one day they steal something that puts them over the threshold into felony territory and the cops immediately are at the dude's house
that owns

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FCKGW posted:

when i worked at frys the loss prevention guys would suplex shoplifters in the parking lot, they didn't give a gently caress

our old LP guy used to do security for WWE shows and was scary as poo poo

a buddy of mine got a job at rouse’s in the deli and he told me that their loss prevention was almost 100% focused on the other employees

apparently they got bonuses per collar, like a bounty

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Penisface posted:

Thanks! No worries, I think I found it already.

It's Trattoria Cesari, right?

Yes, that name sounds familiar. That place is amazing. That entire mall is one of my favorite places in Nagoya. Osu Kannon.

If you are ever in Nagoya, I recommend stopping by. If you ever are on a trip down to Osaka from Tokyo, I recommend going to ramen alley in the Nagoya train station. It is jam packed with a bunch of amazing ramen shops.

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 29, 2018

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
friends who recently used to work at Best Buy in NYC let me know that there is a constant tension between the merchandising team who wants to put the most popular TVs right by the door (and boxed units next to them since they have almost zero back of house space), and the loss prevention team who has to constantly deal with people walking in off the street, grabbing a goddamn 55” TV, and walking immediately out of the store

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

UH OH

https://twitter.com/dannoyes/status/979165525912690688

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i'm the guy who continues to use autopilot after it tries to kill me multiple times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm glad he died.