Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wow, yeah, new Voltron is really good. I’m surprised at these terrible opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

The designs are not bad. The show is dreadful though.

Does anyone know why Gigapower Grassor is $65 less than the other Giga Dinos?

Which version are you looking at

I think some iterations are cheaper than others because they come with less stuff

Also I keep hearing that the new Voltron is a good show but I can't bring myself to watch it because I was never huge on Voltron to begin with.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
New Voltron is dreadful. Hunk and Lance are basically one-note jokes 50 episodes in and the attempts to recapture ATLA-style humor are almost uniformly failures. I went in with high hopes but every new episode batch disappoints me more.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

As an adult, I find this children's cartoon extremely derivative

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

new Voltron sucks

You're right. There's not nearly enough Coran in it.

The_Doctor posted:

Wow, yeah, new Voltron is really good. I’m surprised at these terrible opinions.

These are better opinions, but it still needs more Coran.

DoctorWhat posted:

New Voltron is dreadful. Hunk and Lance are basically one-note jokes 50 episodes in and the attempts to recapture ATLA-style humor are almost uniformly failures. I went in with high hopes but every new episode batch disappoints me more.

What now? Maybe I should finally watch that newer anime not based upon my childhood brainwashingfavorites that also isn't One Punch Man.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

DoctorWhat posted:

that's kind of hyperfocusing on some small problems when it manages to have do a lot of other things really well, but w/e

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Transformers: that's kind of hyperfocusing on some small problems

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Don't get me wrong I still watch it whenever it debuts but it lacks a strong conceptual focus and it feels like they're writing by the seat of their pants using recycled archetypes. It's a great plot for, like, an improvised RPG, but it doesn't hold up to latter-half Korra or Steven Universe or other adventure serials aimed st that age group.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Transformers: that's kind of hyperfocusing on some small problems

Oh no, this thread title is never changing.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

DoctorWhat posted:

Don't get me wrong I still watch it whenever it debuts but it lacks a strong conceptual focus and it feels like they're writing by the seat of their pants using recycled archetypes. It's a great plot for, like, an improvised RPG, but it doesn't hold up to latter-half Korra or Steven Universe or other adventure serials aimed st that age group.

Still better than the original show or the 3D show or the show where they trained children to pilot the lions. Voltron isn't really a high bar for quality.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Keldroc posted:

I had Jazz, Mirage, and Wheeljack in mind when I wrote it but I didn't know Smokescreen and Drag Strip were also part of the club.

This, tangentially, is also why I didn't include the first Bay movie in the "disguise" category, since pretty much only Ironhide has useful disguise alt mode throughout the film. Bumblebee loses his when he scans the Concept Camaro (out for a test drive from the factory?), Jazz's Solstice was never produced, Ratchet's alt mode is complete nonsense, Barricade's doesn't hold up to scrutiny due to the "punish and enslave" writing, Brawl and Starscream's alt modes are useless for disguise unless you want to hang around a military base doing nothing, and Prime's truck is basically designed to make you stare at it. Blackout's disguise doesn't even work, as the military instantly knows something's up with it. Frenzy almost pulls it off but prefers to run around like a silent film comedian. And Scorponok is a giant metal scorpion.

Kudos to Starscream for pulling off the "not me, it's him" move near the end in the squadron of F-22s, though. That was a pretty good use of the disguise idea.

Movie Scorponok is actually the best disguised Transformer of all because he's so good at hiding as Blackouts engine that not even the Fans realize that's what he turned into this whole time

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I only watched like half of the new Voltron but I thought it was pretty good. I liked it enough to get that big Voltron set. It was a steal at $100. It seems Voltron toys are on clearance. I guess the show is done \ on its way out? I think it's on its third season, which is about par for the course for these sorts of things.

I'm not really a Voltron fan, though. I would see the original from time to time on TV as a kid, but it never really wowed me. I never fell in love with it like I did for things like Transformers, Gundam and Robotech\Macross. So I mean... I think the new Voltron show is probably about as good as Voltron is going to get. People like to thumb their noses as western-made faux anime but I don't really care.

I like a lot of combining super robot toys, but I just can't get into any shows where you have a robot that combines, kills the monster of the week, then does that every single episode. I think Power Rangers is totally unwatchable.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's not dreadful, but it's dreadfully underwhelming.

I mean even Miko had a character arc. Voltron is mostly farting around, except I guess the one guy is a ninja now? There's a ton of episodes for not very much progress.

The prince is dreamy though. I'd be happy to just have a show about him, being awesome.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I only watched like half of the new Voltron but I thought it was pretty good. I liked it enough to get that big Voltron set. It was a steal at $100. It seems Voltron toys are on clearance. I guess the show is done \ on its way out? I think it's on its third season, which is about par for the course for these sorts of things.
It is on both season 3 and season 6 and maybe sort of season 5?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got the Classic Voltron combiner for $60 (possibly $48 if they do the post price adjustment).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean even Miko had a character arc. Voltron is mostly farting around, except I guess the one guy is a ninja now? There's a ton of episodes for not very much progress.

The prince is dreamy though. I'd be happy to just have a show about him, being awesome.

I like new Voltron, and I've got like zero childhood attachment to Voltron. But I think the release schedule where they bleb out six or seven half hour episodes at a time doesn't do it any favours.

First couple of seasons up to where Voltron fought Galra Gundam Epyon were best.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Well I thought the first 12 or so episodes were really good, but I guess it wasn't good enough to really hold my interest.

Spiderdrake posted:

Huh? What? You lost me, there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

Granted the concept could work better in the hands of a better writer, yeah, preferably as an element of a particular character or subplot rather than as the entire story concept. It's not a core tenet of the brand and never has been outside of the "-ation" stuff and, ironically enough, the beginning of Revenge of the Fallen, in which Demolishor is disguised as a gigantic excavator...parked at a steel mill, a place that would never have a need for such a vehicle. And now we're back to that "better writer" thing again.
Rescue Bots. They kept the robots secret from most of the population through some childish "BEEP BOOP I AM ROBOT" acting. It actually led to one of the best moments in the entire show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjdqjiEyR74&t=9s

Edit: Now I'm worried that if I buy it someone will rock out a KO at twice the size for the same money.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 29, 2018

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Huh? What? You lost me, there.
What Phy said. They started putting out 6-7 episodes instead of 13 block seasons so it's sort in season 3, but not called that.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I need this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjdqjiEyR74&t=9s

Edit: Now I'm worried that if I buy it someone will rock out a KO at twice the size for the same money.
Whoa he shares the same skeleton as Nitro kinda.

e: maybe its just the legs

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheDK posted:

Whoa he shares the same skeleton as Nitro kinda.

e: maybe its just the legs

He appears to be an extensive retool of AOE Leader Grimlock?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If I liked that design at all, that would be a must have figure.

They really outdid themselves with the paintwork on that Grimlock, Christ.

One thing in its favor, it's likely going to be much more shelf friendly than any future KO OS versions!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Burkion posted:

One thing in its favor, it's likely going to be much more shelf friendly than any future KO OS versions!
This isn't a problem for a shelf-builder

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I already have enormous stuff up on my shelves.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Normally I'm not immediately down on the humans in Transformers, but maybe they'd be better is instead of a bunch of misfit young adults, they were hapless fools who kept getting their vacations ruined by the autobot/decepticon war.

And then one of the transformers keeps hitting on her car.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want a group of actors from dumb scifi robot movies who end up getting caught in the Autobot Decipitcon war and have to help out

Because why not Galaxy Quest Transformers

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

People hate human characters in Transformers, but this causes a bit of a conundrum, because I think transformers with earth modes are typically cooler than ones with generic cybertronian vehicle modes.

Spike and Carly aren't that bad. Now their son is another story... but I kind of love Chip Chase. COURAGE! I also give Raoul the thumbs up.

Jack and Jack's mom from Prime are good. Sari from Animated grows on you but I dunno if she counts as human or not.

I don't think human characters always necessarily have to be awful in transformers. The really obnoxious ones are usually super young children or people in paramilitary groups who are out there to kill all transformers. Just avoid those. And also maybe Shia LeBeouf and Megan Fox. Marky Mark is fine, though.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 29, 2018

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Blackwing's packaging is poorly-designed leading to nigh-universal fin curl. It's also why nearly all Hasbro MPM04s have warped hoods.

Both are fixable with boiling water.
A hair dryer can also fix warped rubber, and I find that method a little less stressful than boiling a figure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Knormal posted:

A hair dryer can also fix warped rubber, and I find that method a little less stressful than boiling a figure.

I'll have you know that PVC/ABS soup is delicious.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You don't actually need to boil the whole toy, you just stick the warped bit into boiling water as best you can and then straighten it out. While holding it straight, stick it under a running cold tap. Should fix it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, well, it is a Netflix show, after all.

Rhyno posted:

He appears to be an extensive retool of AOE Leader Grimlock?

New mold.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gammatron 64 posted:

People hate human characters in Transformers, but this causes a bit of a conundrum, because I think transformers with earth modes are typically cooler than ones with generic cybertronian vehicle modes.

Spike and Carly aren't that bad. Now their son is another story... but I kind of love Chip Chase. COURAGE! I also give Raoul the thumbs up.

Jack and Jack's mom from Prime are good. Sari from Animated grows on you but I dunno if she counts as human or not.

I don't think human characters always necessarily have to be awful in transformers. The really obnoxious ones are usually super young children or people in paramilitary groups who are out there to kill all transformers. Just avoid those. And also maybe Shia LeBeouf and Megan Fox. Marky Mark is fine, though.

Sari counts as human in my opinion, as she was raised as one

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Captain Fowler from Prime was also pretty good, when they played him straight

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

Captain Fowler from Prime was also pretty good, when they played him straight

As was Fanzone from Animated(honestly most of Animated's humans would be nice to have show up in the new IDW universe)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shia Labeouf is just a stand in for all the manchild TF fans we have come to hate. He's also the Spielberg to Mikaela's Michael Bay.

I hope John Cena ends up a cool human in a Transformers movie.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

John Cena will probably be cool because he's John Cena. And if you don't think so, don't worry, you can't see him anyway.

For horrible human characters, I think most of the most recent ones were from IDW (namely their version of Spike) or shows like Prime or the various anime shows where very young children are palling around with Transformers for some reason.

Of course its also really weird that in G1 they recruit some random construction worker on an oil rig and his son. One of the things that the G1 comics actually did better was that the Witwickys were car mechanics which kinda makes sense.

They should just go for human companions like G1 Spike, Carly or Jack Darby that are young but are more high schoolers \ college freshmen and are old enough to at least have a learner's permit.

That said, Sam and Mikaela from the Bay movies should be fine as well, its just that they're in a Michael Bay movie and most people in any Michael Bay movies act like complete turds

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

They aren’t choosing human companions in G1 strategically. They are friendly robots making friends, and the Witwickys are the first humans that are actually friendly to them. Nothing weird about that.

Also, going back to that thought that Beast Wars is great because they invented an energon reason to make Transformers transform less, I don’t get you or why you’d want to use that for other shows. I want to see robots in my robot show, not cars and trucks rolling around talking to each other the whole time. Even as a kid, I remember being frustrated that Grimlock was always in his tiny arm Dino mode in Season 3. There was even one episode where he transformed just so he could hold something for a moment, then immediately went back Dino. YOUR ROBOT MODE IS AWESOME, GRIMLOCK! YOU GRIMLOCK NOT MOVING AS FAST AS HE CAN IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING IN ROBOT MODE TRYING NOT TO GET CRUSHED BY FALLING TRYPTICON.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

They aren’t choosing human companions in G1 strategically. They are friendly robots making friends, and the Witwickys are the first humans that are actually friendly to them. Nothing weird about that.

Also, going back to that thought that Beast Wars is great because they invented an energon reason to make Transformers transform less, I don’t get you or why you’d want to use that for other shows. I want to see robots in my robot show, not cars and trucks rolling around talking to each other the whole time. Even as a kid, I remember being frustrated that Grimlock was always in his tiny arm Dino mode in Season 3. There was even one episode where he transformed just so he could hold something for a moment, then immediately went back Dino. YOUR ROBOT MODE IS AWESOME, GRIMLOCK! YOU GRIMLOCK NOT MOVING AS FAST AS HE CAN IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING IN ROBOT MODE TRYING NOT TO GET CRUSHED BY FALLING TRYPTICON.

Maybe that's why I like civilian characters like G1 Spike or Jack more than when the transformers work with governments or quasi-military organizations or whatever. They're aliens and they don't know anything about Earth, so they just befriend the first earthlings they meet. It brings things "down to earth" so to speak by having average, regular people in the show.

I think its just that I'm tired of super secret government organizations that fight transformers and little kids because little kids are usually written poorly and are annoying. Shows like Stranger Things where child characters are actually good are kind of the exception.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe that's why I like civilian characters like G1 Spike or Jack more than when the transformers work with governments or quasi-military organizations or whatever. They're aliens and they don't know anything about Earth, so they just befriend the first earthlings they meet. It brings things "down to earth" so to speak by having average, regular people in the show.

I think its just that I'm tired of super secret government organizations that fight transformers and little kids because little kids are usually written poorly and are annoying. Shows like Stranger Things where child characters are actually good are kind of the exception.

That's one of the reasons I like Sari so much, she presents a nice middle ground, she's first and foremost their friend, but her dad being a genius scientist and owner of one of the biggest companies in the world also gives them some practical reasons to associate with her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

His robot mode isn't good for adorable slapstick comic relief, which is all Grimlock was allowed to do in Season 3. Because Season 3 sucks.

Even if he is actually adorable sometimes.