Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kevin Palpatine posted:

they should just start hiring 5-year-olds to do bank security...they can give them adorable little pink kevlar vests and everything

Barbie's First AR-15, with My Little Silencer and Polly Bumpstock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

walrusman posted:

Wouldn't your supervisor consider it fairly unprofessional to comment on something like that in the first place?

Yes, I don't think you're supposed to ogle people's checks

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Hey, if I'm not allowed to scout for recently widowed sugar mommas then maybe I don't want to work for your lovely bank

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

walrusman posted:

Wouldn't your supervisor consider it fairly unprofessional to comment on something like that in the first place?

Definitely in most banks. In other sectors it's now the done thing to be chatty and friendly with customers but banks still generally try to keep things impersonal, disinterested and professional as a rule of thumb. Some are trying to move towards showing off that they hire real people!! Not a robot! Friendly and passionate about getting you the best interest rates! But they are the exception and yes it often leads to awkward conversations like that.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

"There's definitely some craftmanship in this sign" - a supposed art dealer, about a piece of cardboard with yellow paint letters on it. Right.

I don't think he was being serious (though I also don't think he's real); people candidly lie for the sake of charity all the time, it was pretty clear he was making up an excuse just to give her the $200 she needed and they were joking about it. Out of a story with some overblown poo poo, that line felt pretty innocent.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Spent a lot of time in a courtroom.

I can absolutely believe this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zipperelli. posted:

Spent a lot of time in a courtroom.

I can absolutely believe this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4QYvXpaXlY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q47H-_y9Lhk

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Shakesville is a blog that used to be a significant part of online feminism, but has increasingly become a way for one narcissist to cling to dwindling relevance while bilking her loyal fans for money. Anyway, here's some STDH:

Melissa McEwan posted:

That Time I Saw a Girl with a Broken Heart Destroy the Man Who Broke It

Not long ago, Iain and I were dining out at a local franchise of a regional chain. It's one of those places with big screen televisions for major sporting events and a decent reasonably-priced menu and slightly dated music playing slightly too loudly.

Everything sort of fades into the background there. I've been in the place a dozen times and couldn't tell you what color the walls are. But the waitstaff is friendly, the bathroom is clean, and the fries are killer, so the fact that everything else is suitable enough to be unnoticeable is fine. That is, in fact, the whole point. Remember what's good; forget the rest.

Anyway. This particular day, we were there at an odd time. It was past lunch but too early for dinner. The place was mostly empty. We were eating and chatting, when suddenly the background penetrated my consciousness. I stopped in the middle of my sentence; Iain looked at me and I pointed upwards. Listen to the music. He let the music come into his consciousness, too, and we both began to laugh.

Because what was playing slightly too loudly was 20 Fingers and Gillette's "(Don't Wanna) Short Dick Man."

It was the censored version, in which the lyrics are "Don't wanna a short, short man," but Iain and I were both alive — and spending some amount of time in dance clubs — in the '90s, so we knew the song. And probably would have figured it out even if we didn't, heh.

"I don't think this is a track on the corporate playlist," I said.

"No," Iain agreed, laughing.

I craned my neck to look over the row of banquets in which we were seated, toward the kitchen. Two young women, one of whom was our server, were huddled together. One was leaning forward, her shoulders curled in, smothering a laugh into her hands, cupped in front of her face. The other stood with her back so straight she looked regal, one eyebrow raised, her chin resting on a shoulder so she could just see the bar out of the corner of her eye, though her back remained turned to it.

At the bar, a young man glared at her with a curled lip. He turned on a heel, tossing a hand towel onto his shoulder, and disappeared. A moment later, the track stopped and a new track started: New Found Glory's "My Friends Over You."

I had never heard this track before, but it was easy to find when I searched its lyrics: You were everything I wanted / But I just can't finish what I've started / There's no room left here on my back / It was damaged long ago / Though you swear that you are true / I still pick my friends over you / My friends over you...

"I don't think she cares, my dude," Iain said, to me.

"Round One to her," I said. We clinked glasses.

The track played its duration, and I thought for a moment that might have been it for the musical duel. But then. THEN.

The coup de grâce.

There was a moment of silence, and then came the voice of Kelly Clarkson, singing "I Don't Think About You."

And now that we are through / Nothing left to lose / I don't think about you.

I mimed dropping the mic.

"drat," Iain said.

The track ended. The audio returned to the preselected collection of inoffensive pop songs.

Maybe a manager came in. Maybe the barback knew he'd been owned beyond hope. Maybe he was too busy crying in the bathroom, because he knew he'd blown it with a deeply clever girl who'd obviously cared about him hard enough that he could break her heart.

Iain and I went back to our meal and our conversation, and the music faded into the background again.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Jurgan posted:

Shakesville is a blog that used to be a significant part of online feminism, but has increasingly become a way for one narcissist to cling to dwindling relevance while bilking her loyal fans for money. Anyway, here's some STDH:

What a dumbass story. How would she know who was playing the music? How would she know about the previous relationship between the barback and server? How has she never heard of NFG? They were loving ubiquitous in the early 2000s. Even if you didn't know their name, you've heard their songs.

The entirety of this STDH is "we had lunch, the staff messed around with the music."

Completely pointless.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

DariusLikewise posted:

This should be a tumblr post with 18 "LMAO THAT'S CRAZY" replies

As much bullshit that happens on reddit, u/poem_for_your_sprog is a goddamn treasure. He's all over the place writing limericks for the modern man.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
“Very grateful” is such an exaggeration in this case. Everybody knows vampires have access to wealth.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

burial posted:

“Very grateful” is such an exaggeration in this case. Everybody knows vampires have access to wealth.

It would be more like 'disgusting loving peasant nearly touched me, I suppose I should be thankful they released me from their squalor.'

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

TheMostFrench posted:

It would be more like 'disgusting loving peasant nearly touched me, I suppose I should be thankful they released me from their squalor.'

There it is. High five, frenchmost.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Vampires can only come inside if you invite them in, so how did it get there in the first place? Yeah, just busted a big hole in your story, don't take it too personal kid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zipperelli. posted:

What a dumbass story. How would she know who was playing the music? How would she know about the previous relationship between the barback and server? How has she never heard of NFG? They were loving ubiquitous in the early 2000s. Even if you didn't know their name, you've heard their songs.

The entirety of this STDH is "we had lunch, the staff messed around with the music."

Completely pointless.

Nothing says "I'm over you" like staring down your ex while playing music assuring him that you're over him and don't think about him at all

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Vampires can only come inside if you invite them in, so how did it get there in the first place? Yeah, just busted a big hole in your story, don't take it too personal kid.

dude

what if the vampire had to be invited to go into... the outside world??? :weed:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Zipperelli. posted:

Completely pointless.

Uhh they looked at each other, people don't look at each other unless they have a tumultuous sexual history together.

Also every Kelly Clarkson song I have heard is basically "I'm TOTALLY Over You, You Giant loving rear end in a top hat, I Mean It This Time (I'm Not Actually Over You)", like an all-American talent show version of Adele. Not really what I'd associate with being "owned beyond hope".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Ripped from imgur's front page. (Not linking each image because there's 13 of them and :effort:)

I assume that 99% of text convo screencaps are fake, but this one goes way too long for even plausible deniability.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Haifisch posted:

Ripped from imgur's front page. (Not linking each image because there's 13 of them and :effort:)

I assume that 99% of text convo screencaps are fake, but this one goes way too long for even plausible deniability.

Seen it before, and it's not even the length that makes it fail plausible deniability. It's the fact that the mother apparently texts the daughter regularly, but doesn't have the number saved and doesn't continue from an old conversation.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Uhh they looked at each other, people don't look at each other unless they have a tumultuous sexual history together.

Also every Kelly Clarkson song I have heard is basically "I'm TOTALLY Over You, You Giant loving rear end in a top hat, I Mean It This Time (I'm Not Actually Over You)", like an all-American talent show version of Adele. Not really what I'd associate with being "owned beyond hope".

His lip was curled! Read between the lines!

Wow, she’s on a roll this week (click for picture of these shoes).

“Melissa McEwen” posted:

It is no secret that I love shoes. It is also no secret that I am cheap AF. The combination of these two qualities meant that I spent many, many years drooling over Fluevog shoes and never buying any, even on the rare occasions when I had the money to splurge on expensive shoes.

But then their Bardot pump in blue and gold dropped into the double-digits because they were almost sold out — and they still had some in my size. Which never happens!

So I snapped them up, and now, my friends, I own my very first pair of Fluevogs, and it is everything I hoped it would be! HEART EYES.

Not only are these shoes absolutely beautiful, even dreamier in person than in photos, but they are extraordinarily comfortable. I could stand in and/or walk in these all day.

Last night, Iain and I stopped for a quick bite while we were out, and I happened to be wearing these shoes — which proceeded to cause pandemonium among the waitstaff! The manager actually came to the table to check them out, because he had to see for himself the shoes over which everyone in the kitchen was losing their minds, haha.

I spelled Fluevog at least six times for people who wanted to write it down. If Fluevog is looking for a new part-time influencer to model their shoes in public, CALL ME.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Good fir her

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

oldpainless posted:

Good fir her

More like oldfluevogless.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ok so out of curiosity I looked up Fluevog, as I’ve never heard of Fluevog.

Most of the womens’ shoes on the website are atrocious, ranging from designer versions of Dutch wooden clogs, to basically fancier, leather Crocs, to fancy Birkenstock style sandals that go a little past the ankle with what looks like a thick crepe sole.

The waitstaff were probably laughing their asses off at those ridiculous shoes and they told this guy to come see for himself, which he did, attempting to stifle his own laughter.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

life is killing me posted:

Most of the womens’ shoes on the website are atrocious, ranging from designer versions of Dutch wooden clogs, to basically fancier, leather Crocs, to fancy Birkenstock style sandals that go a little past the ankle with what looks like a thick crepe sole.

The waitstaff were probably laughing their asses off at those ridiculous shoes and they told this guy to come see for himself, which he did, attempting to stifle his own laughter.

These are the things she's bragging about

https://www.fluevog.com/shop/4964-bardot-blue-gold

That's certainly a color.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Was Shakesville legit at one point? Did the game go to her head and change her? Cuz this is just sad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I did the same and they're the most generic clunky poo poo.

Len posted:

Oh yeah, they were definitely all coming over to laugh.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

kimbo305 posted:

Was Shakesville legit at one point? Did the game go to her head and change her? Cuz this is just sad.
Not as far as I know. The only thing "significant" about Shakesville in online feminism circles was Melissa's reputation for batshit insanity and for banning anyone who didn't kiss her rear end enough. The site exists to prop up her ego and very little else.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

She went mental over Brave and its ginger stereotyping, and most of her followers didn't bat an eye, so I guess you be the judge.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Izzy posted:

Not as far as I know. The only thing "significant" about Shakesville in online feminism circles was Melissa's reputation for batshit insanity and for banning anyone who didn't kiss her rear end enough. The site exists to prop up her ego and very little else.

Back around 2005-2007, there was a large stable of contributors who had some interesting conversations. Something broke in her brain when Obama was elected- some days she’d criticize him, others she’d demand no one criticize him, and if you couldn’t guess what you were supposed to do that day you might get banned. Readers basically had to swear allegiance to Melissa personally. It gradually turned into a cult of personality as Melissa drove away anyone who didn’t walk on eggshells to avoid hurting her delicate feelings. Now it’s basically just a place for her and her gay BFF to yell about stuff and routinely ask for money from the readers. Gotta buy more shoes and tattoos somehow.

If you really want to see how awful and abusive it got, this is your resource: http://shakesvillekoolaid.tumblr.com/post/88568874129/submission-circle-time#disqus_thread

Jurgan has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Mar 29, 2018

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Len posted:

That's certainly a color.

KLM cabin crew supplier identified.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
what happens when she clicks her heels together three times?

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of Maggie Simpson.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Seeing small bart drove me to a mental institution.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

BgRdMchne posted:

Maggie is really just a very small bart. That's deep.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of Maggie Simpson.

i'm wary of anyone who's shot a man and gotten away with it

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

BgRdMchne posted:

There is the Creepy Pasta about a lost Simpsons episode where Bart is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Fluevog makes really really good quality shoes. As in, will last your entire lifetime, which is nice if you get some of their more normal looking shoes for day to day wear.

They also make a ton of garish ugly as gently caress shoes. Which is nice if you are a clown.