Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Julias posted:

Killing Bites

killing bites is a show that kind of revels in that so it's not really what i'd put forward lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the girls und panzer thing is more because he specifically told the staff not to than anything. like of course people are gonna try and be smartasses about it if you specifically tell them not to do something

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

the girls und panzer thing is more because he specifically told the staff not to than anything. like of course people are gonna try and be smartasses about it if you specifically tell them not to do something

I always read that tweet as more like Oh these darn rascals than MY STAFF IS UNDERMINING MY VISION. Like a prank the director was in on and not actual insubordination.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Missed opportunity for a Shirobako sub-plot IMO

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I can't wait for tea shop anime and Watakoi. Spring season looks hopeful.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Episode 18: The way Kurz and the male no-name soldiers behaved towards Tessa was super uncomfortable. While in theory she's their superior officer, that's really not how the power dynamic feels (especially since she's 17 or so). Mao's bullying in episode 13 was one thing because it was so absurd, but this feels too similar to real-life workplace sexual harassment to be funny. (To be clear, this is a fairly brief subplot, not the focus of the episode or anything, but it bothered me enough that I had to mention it.)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Cake Attack posted:

sorry perverts, the only thing I'm "thirsty" for is an ice old American beer.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Black Stones posted:

This problem was way more a thing in the 90’s IMO. I’m rewatching Full Metal Panic and drat do they shove in a ton of fan service that really didn’t need to be there.

These days? It’s definitely still a thing, but nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

In modern times the most profitable fanservice is probably the inexplicable hotsprings episode, and even counting any occurrence of Anime Fog still doesn't come close to 70%.

But it's not close to 0% either, unexpected or not.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Space Flower posted:

i'm crunching the numbers and no.

in fact i think you'd be hard-pressed to find any series from last season that has a 'fanservice' pantyshot. slow start has panties when the girls are having extended conversations about panties because they're gay. fate extra has panties because nero just shows them to everyone. citrus has underwear because it's a show about thirsty lesbians and they're gay.

AICO actually had some old style pantyshots, i.e. just a flash during some action scenes, and no character reacts to it (or even notices).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm looking forward to Captain Tsubasa

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Colonel posted:

i'm lesbian and butts are ftw. you will never move me on this position and i'll never back donw

the people were astonished at his doctrine

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

the first 6 minutes of Persona 5 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gzh68

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Episode 19 of FMP gives us more Kurz being terrible. It also gives us another silly country name: Beru. Obviously it's based on Peru, and the bad guys in this episode are meant to be the Shining Path (Shining Bath?).

In Episode 20 we get a surprising revelation about Whispered. Well, surprising to someone like me who doesn't watch much giant robot anime,
since I remember reading about something similar involving Newtypes in Gundam. Apparently Whispered don't just have supertechnology blueprints in their heads, they can also form psychic connections with each other. But while I'm under the impression that Gundam treats this as a good thing, Tessa says that this would be bad if taken too far because she and Chidori would lose their individual identities.

The talk about Tessa and Chidori forming psychic bonds struck me as having some yuri overtones that I'm not sure were intended. (In a more recent anime it would totally be intended.) Perhaps they weren't intended but the writers realized it anyway, and hence felt the need to assure us they're both straight by having them talk about how much they both love Sosuke right afterwards. Or maybe the point is that Tessa is assuring herself and Chidori that they're rivals and hence in no danger of merging their consciousnesses.
If I'm overanalyzing this, it's only because the revelation felt so jarring. It's possible there was some sort of foreshadowing I forgot, like maybe Tessa simultaneously reacted when Chidori was having Whispered visions or something.

Edit: Kurz actually does something intelligent for once and uses the sniper skills he demonstrated in Episode 19 to dump a building's worth of rubble on Gauron to make him use up his Lambda Driver. It looks like Sosuke is seriously considering committing a war crime and just shooting a surrendering Gauron right there, but stops himself.

The next episode preview makes it look like Mithril screws up keeping Gauron restrained somehow, resulting in him not only getting free but also killing some no-name soldiers. Ugh. Hopefully the details don't make Mithril look too incompetent.

Edit 2: It's interesting that Sosuke was more affected by the deaths of the mooks in Helmajistan than I'd expected. This may be in part because Gauron actually killed Grace, whereas before I'd assumed she just got her mech smashed but survived. On the other hand, killed Zaied doesn't seem to bother him much in comparison. This perhaps shows that Sosuke has a better moral compass than the average action-adventure protagonist; I think normally they seem to care more about childhood friends turned evil than about mooks even on their own side.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 30, 2018

MagicAlex
Jan 6, 2007

Magical Girl Ore is loving hilarious.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Episodes 21-23: The grizzled commander guy claims that despite acting impulsive, Gauron is actually a smart guy who always has a plan to ensure his own safety. This actually does fit his behavior, come to think of it; the dumb risks he takes seem to be with the mission objectives rather than his own safety.

Sosuke uncharacteristically snaps at Kaname. When Kurz calls him out on his venting his frustration with the situation at her, Sosuke shows an entirely characteristic lack of self-awareness and denies that's what he's doing.

Mithril actually does not come across as particularly stupid here; Gauron escapes from the guards only because one of them was a mole for whatever his current faction is called (but apparently not someone he knows personally, oddly enough) and takes over the submarine only due to another mole and a computer program specifically designed for taking over the submarine. You might think this would at least make them stupid in terms of screening personnel, but Gauron makes it sound like their troops are actually harder to bribe into becoming moles than those of most military organizations.

Tessa, Kaname, Sosuke, and Kurz all get a chance to be cool in their own ways in the resulting crisis. Weirdly, grizzled commander guy turns out to be wrong about Gauron ensuring his own safety; apparently he's genuinely reckless and was willing to die as long as it was a sufficiently spectacular death.

It looks like the season finale will be a setpiece mech fight between Sosuke and Gauron, which would have more impact if they hadn't already fought before. Now that Sosuke is angry enough to use the Lambda Driver again, the question is no longer "how will Sosuke survive?" but "how will Gauron survive?" Will Sosuke capture him alive again?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Episode 24: I forgot about the mechs having a self-destruct function, which allowed Gauron to threaten Sosuke's life after all. The question of how Gauron survived this time remains, though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

What's all this redacted text for? Girls Picnic Fumoffu?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

probably should take the giant spoilerblock reviews of an old mecha show to the mecha thread

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

probably should take the giant spoilerblock reviews of an old mecha show to the mecha thread

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dogsicle posted:

Nah

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A question, silver2915: what's your favorite fmp robot and why is it the rk-92 savage

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm enjoying these, plus we're getting new FMP this season. :shrug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't care

if you guys wanna read the recaps, you should read them in the mecha thread that exists for posts like that

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

or make the thread for new fmp now and they can be posted in there

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i don't care

if you guys wanna read the recaps, you should read them in the mecha thread that exists for posts like that

But Fumoffu comes next, and it isn't a mecha show!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver2195 posted:

But Fumoffu comes next, and it isn't a mecha show!

Fumoffu is a mecha show

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Post wherever you want whenever you want imo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

had kellogs for breakfast today

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dav mail me some stroopwafel please I need it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

good point time for me to post the entirety of lord of the rings in this thread

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

consider it done

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

People come to threads with topics to read and talk about the things related to that topic and when it gets drowned out by other things unrelated they might not want to talk about it and just leave

Also there's literally a thread already for talking about anything that isn't on topic in any threads and doesn't warrant a thread of its own

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my internet is so bad these days that it cant actually handle posting that much text

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway just imo it makes more sense to make big posts in a slower thread specifically focused on something related to those big posts, where it might generate discussion, rather than a more general, faster thread where most people who arent interested in it will just ignore it. if the big posts are about a thread of conversation thats one thing but if theyre just apropos of nothing just slapping them down seems like 90% of people wont really read them

like not even a posting crimes thing just, if you want to have a discussion instead of just shout thoughts into the void, there you go

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

My dog sleeps 20 hours a day now and I don’t think he can hear anymore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

My dog sleeps 20 hours a day now and I don’t think he can hear anymore
the dog's dying, cloud

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think if the guy wanted to have a discussion more generally about fmp it would be fine, same as any other derails in this thread that spring out of the natural flow of posting/news. but episode by episode reviews of an old show that has a genre megathread should probably just go in that thread, especially when they're like 90% spoiler blocks.

i don't think anyone is saying this is a huge deal, but the flippance at wanting off topic posts be put in a more appropriate thread is annoying.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

the dog's dying, cloud

He is 15 years old

and he smells really bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU