Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Anta posted:

I kind of want to know how a water park can burn, but judging from the reactions, I think I'm not watching any of that.

There was a concert being held at the park, and they decided to use colored cornstarch to disperse into the air like the Holi festival in India. The cornstarch ignites, probably from the numerous stage lights being used, and it results in a dust explosion. Because they had been dispersing the cornstarch for a while prior to the explosion, there was a thick layer of cornstarch already on the ground. I'm not sure exactly how, but the cornstarch on the ground gets ignited by the initial dust explosion, resulting in what looks like an actual sea of fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

oohhboy posted:

They don't make them like they use to. It returned to service until it got put into a museum. A F35 would shred itself like tin foil.

The cornfield bomber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M2XZEYqIpQ

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

And if he hadn't, the jet woulda ditched which is even more expensive. Harriers are worth something like 20 mil.

Or you could pay like 7 million Pepsi Points.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, from the schadenfreude thread:
https://i.imgur.com/JaAHS46.mp4

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I'm getting mixed messages here

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

also, from the schadenfreude thread:
https://i.imgur.com/JaAHS46.mp4

Hey, at least it didn't catch fire!

https://i.imgur.com/SY9UKts.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/flSU8gw.gifv

Hey guys, let's use a fuel source that's invisible when it burns. Genius! (Yes, I know methanol is no longer used in racing fuel.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Skippy McPants posted:

Hey guys, let's use a fuel source that's invisible when it burns. Genius! (Yes, I know methanol is no longer used in racing fuel.)

Indycar pushed to switch to methanol because a crash of gas-powered cars at the Indy 500 resulted in so much smoke that the track was completely obscured and two drivers died. Methanol has a lot to recommend it from a safety standpoint: a considerably higher flashpoint and autoignition temperature than gasoline means it's harder to ignite, if it does ignite it burns much cooler, and it's totally miscible with water which means you don't need foam to extinguish it.

Safety is complicated. They use ethanol now because corn subsidies.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Remember the self-driving Uber that killed a pedestrian last week? Looks like Uber's been skimping on the senor equipment.

Uber’s use of fewer safety sensors prompts questions after Arizona crash

quote:

Driverless cars are supposed to avoid accidents with lidar – which uses laser light pulses to detect hazards on the road - and other sensors such as radar and cameras. The new Uber driverless vehicle is armed with only one roof-mounted lidar sensor compared with seven lidar units on the older Ford Fusion models Uber employed, according to diagrams prepared by Uber.

In scaling back to a single lidar on the Volvo, Uber introduced a blind zone around the perimeter of the SUV that cannot fully detect pedestrians, according to interviews with former employees and Raj Rajkumar, the head of Carnegie Mellon University’s transportation center who has been working on self-driving technology for over a decade.

Uber referred questions on the blind spot to Velodyne. Velodyne acknowledged that with the rooftop lidar there is a roughly three meter blind spot around a vehicle, saying that more sensors are necessary.

Uber’s decision to move from the Fusion to a much taller vehicle exacerbated the issue of a blind spot from a single lidar unit, said former employees, because the lidar now sits up higher on top of an SUV, further reducing its ability to see low-lying objects - from squirrels to the wheels of a bicycle or a person’s legs.

One former Uber employee involved in testing both the Fusions and Volvo SUVs said that during a test run in late 2016, the Volvo failed to see a delivery truck’s tailgate lift that extended into the street, and the car nearly hit it going 35 miles-per-hour.

When you lose $4.5 billion in a year you gotta start saving money somewhere, right?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Worth noting that this should not have meaningfully affected the LIDAR's ability to detect this particular person, something still went really wrong there rather than just "huge blind spot".

With where the LIDAR is located the blind spot to the front should be smaller than that of a human driver because it has a better view over the hood, but to the sides and rear it's going to be significantly worse without the extra fill-in units the older cars had.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doggles posted:

Remember the self-driving Uber that killed a pedestrian last week? Looks like Uber's been skimping on the senor equipment.
Now I can't stop picturing a volvo wearing a giant sombrero.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Now I can't stop picturing a volvo wearing a giant sombrero.

:ese: :iiaca:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Phanatic posted:

Safety is complicated. They use ethanol now because corn subsidies.

I hear fire fighters looooooove putting out ethanol fires.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

As someone who draws fire safety maps all day for a living you could have given me those plans and I could have pretty accurately guessed where the biggest body piles would be, it's inexcusably murderously obvious. How humans react in a fire/panic is quite well documented, you're dealing with an AI you need to game. But so many people just can't wrap their heads around it, just follow the exit signs, just remember where the door is, just read the door if it says pull or push. They don't get that 90% of people lose all control and will turn into an NPC with very basic pathfinding AI in these situations and you absolutely have to design around that poor AI. There needs to be way more aggressive fire safety enforcement for venues, and real rot-in-prison consequences for the owners.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

As someone who draws fire safety maps all day for a living you could have given me those plans and I could have pretty accurately guessed where the biggest body piles would be, it's inexcusably murderously obvious. How humans react in a fire/panic is quite well documented, you're dealing with an AI you need to game. But so many people just can't wrap their heads around it, just follow the exit signs, just remember where the door is, just read the door if it says pull or push. They don't get that 90% of people lose all control and will turn into an NPC with very basic pathfinding AI in these situations and you absolutely have to design around that poor AI. There needs to be way more aggressive fire safety enforcement for venues, and real rot-in-prison consequences for the owners.

I was in a hotel room and had passed out from a night of drinking. At 3AM some dickhole pulled the fire alarm, and it took me a solid 90 seconds to get my bearings on where I was and what to do. I eventually grabbed a pillow and put it over the siren/strobe just so I could think enough to know what to do next.

I thought I was a capable and smart person until that incident. If there had been a real fire, I would have been turbofucked.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
A contractor for the BMW plant here in South Carolina was just decapitated when he opened an elevator door that was closed for repairs, stuck his head in the shaft, and the car came down and lopped his head off. The news stories haven't mentioned the decapitation part yet, but a coworker of mine has a friend at BMW who just called him to tell him about it.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Nocheez posted:

I thought I was a capable and smart person until that incident. If there had been a real fire, I would have been turbofucked.

I was in a house fire, and it took me a solid 20 seconds of seeing smoke and hearing the fire alarms at 4AM to get on enough clothing to escape without flashing everyone.

Now fire safety and fire education are a lot higher on my "employment concerns"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's not 10:04 yet so he's fine.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Doggles posted:

Uber’s use of fewer safety sensors prompts questions after Arizona crash

When you lose $4.5 billion in a year you gotta start saving money somewhere, right?

eeeeehhhhhhhhhh techincially true, but this isn't a matter of a blind spot near the vehicle, if you haven't picked up an object (such as a human/bike in an adjacent lane entering your lane in front of you) before it enters a 3m radius around the vehicle at ~40mph, you're way too late. Those extra sensors for blind spots are more for if someone is right next to you rather than you approaching an object at speed.

Sample Velodyne 64 scans, which is the sensor on the roof of the Uber Volvos. I'm going to assume the NHTSA report will have the raw data from the Uber Velodyne to look over. This is probably a matter of classification gone wrong rather than detection.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Delivery McGee posted:

I was editing in a photo when you posted this, but yeah, there is a point when "just paper and cardboard" itself is bad for you.

If it looks like this, run away:

Was this in Columbus? There was a recycling plant on the south side off of Parsons that caught fire twice in 2016.

The first time was tires and the second time was pallets. Whats the deal with Columbus and recycling plant fires.

Edit: Not Columbus, but they did have a recycling plant fire on Sunday too.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/recycling-plant-fire-spreads-smoke-over-west-side-of-columbus

koshmar fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 29, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Frinkahedron posted:

This is probably a matter of classification gone wrong rather than detection.

Very much agree.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

koshmar posted:

Was this in Columbus? There was a recycling plant on the south side off of Parsons that caught fire twice in 2016.

Nope, Texas, and IIRC in 2012. That place burned on the regular, like three times in five years, always on a Sunday when nobody was there. Probably insurance fraud, maybe just because it's a literal warehouse full of tinder.

I love listening to the scanner, I have a Pavlovian response to the series of tones that Fire callouts are preceded by.
"Beepbeepboop"
I stand up.
"Engine 1, Engine 7, Truck 2..."
I gather my things and start heading for the elevator. This is a good'n' -- you can tell right away if it's a car wreck, because they roll one Fire and one Medic, so if either gets held up in traffic somebody gets there ASAP
(our department is FDNY-style, at least a couple Paramediccs on each Fire crew). Multiple Fire units means a fire.
"Truck 4..."
Oh poo poo it could be my house. But more than three on the first alarm means it's big.
"Medic 1, Medic 6..."
poo poo just got interesting, I hold the elevator door open.
"Medic 4..."
That's a reserve company, this is going to be hell on earth.
"Ladder 1, Battalion 1, Battalion 3..."
Two command units and the ladder? gently caress it I'm sprinting down the stairs with the copyeditor on the phone to tell me when they give the address, though I don't see any smoke from the newspaper office in the middle of downtown, so by this point it's 99% the recycling warehouse again. Could be the Eastman plant, but usually when they have a problem big enough for the City to send everything they've got you can hear the boom from the office.

Edit: Also, on terminology, a Truck is a rolling toolbox, an Engine is all pumps and hoses, Ladder is ... well, ladders (or one big one as shown in my previous post), Rescue is the specialized poo poo for crazy situations, and Medic is an ambulance (duh). Crews of 4-6 (Driver/Engineer, four firefighters, and maybe an extra to control the aerial ladder) on Fire rigs and 2-3 (driver, guy taking care of the patient, and a trainee or a firefighter they pickud up at the scene to assist) on Medic.

Also my local department (and most around here) runs Q sirens, and those are pretty OSHA in themselves, there's been studies of how a lot of firefighters have damaged hearing, and sometimes the throttle switch fails closed and its just screaming its 120dB square-wave tone specifically crafted to be unsettling until the fire's out and somebody crawls under the bumper with an axe and cuts the power. Does the job. Technically banned in NYC, FDNY will confiscate them every year when the vehicle goes in for its annual inspection/periodic maintenance, but the crews chip in to buy a replacement.

6th Ave at noon on a Tuesday:

The (in)famous NYC traffic just evaporated when the driver stepped on the Q pedal.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 29, 2018

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Post poste posted:

I was in a house fire, and it took me a solid 20 seconds of seeing smoke and hearing the fire alarms at 4AM to get on enough clothing to escape without flashing everyone.

Now fire safety and fire education are a lot higher on my "employment concerns"

Well, hopefully, employees already have their clothes on unless they are retard masturbators working from home.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

The (in)famous NYC traffic just evaporated when the driver stepped on the Q pedal.

Interested in this statement. Do fire trucks use pedals for sirens? For that matter, are fire trucks auto, stick, crazy 18 wheeler overlay sticks? Inquiring minds (or at least one) want to know. :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Interested in this statement. Do fire trucks use pedals for sirens? For that matter, are fire trucks auto, stick, crazy 18 wheeler overlay sticks? Inquiring minds (or at least one) want to know. :allears:

I don't know how much it has to compare it to modern fire trucks but Regular Car Reviews drove a 1982 fire truck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX4V8xWJyPw

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

quote:

San Francisco (Special). -- By the collapse of the roof of the Pacific Glass Works while it was crowded with men and boys who were watching a football game between the Stanford and University of California teams, fifteen persons were killed. More than 100 persons fell into the furnace of the factory upon ovens and retorts containing molten glass when the roof collapsed. The injured number eighty-three, and of these several cannot survive...

The fires in the furnaces had been started for the first time, and the vats were full of liquid glass. It was upon these that the victims fell. Some were killed instantly and others were slowly roasted to death. The few who missed the furnaces rolled off, and together with workmen in the glass works saved the lives of many by pulling them away from their horrible resting place.

The manager of the glass works realized the danger before the accident occurred, and had sent for the police to compel the crowd to leave. Just as a squad of officers arrived from the City Hall the roof went down.

http://www.gendisasters.com/california/2924/san-francisco-ca-roof-collapse-football-game-dec-1900

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

:same:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does NYC use something like pulse point that displays dispatched units and the reason why the units were dispatched? I have our county's bookmarked if I smell smoke, hear more than one ambulance siren, or if I'm working a Red Cross shelter.

Follow up, do you follow twitter feeds of people who listen to scanners? It can be an efficient way to get info at a glance.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Hey, something I can answer!

Modern trucks generally have a button on the driver's side floor (and sometimes on the Officer's/front Right Seat side) that trigger the Q. Our rigs have either a push button or small knob control for the traditional siren (the weeooo weeeooo police cars have).

There are a few older rigs that have manual transaxles, but every rig I've driven (Engines, Ladders, and ambulances) have been automatic. The Engines and Ladder have had the push-button Allison transmission controller, but still automatic.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Delivery McGee posted:

there's been studies of how a lot of firefighters have damaged hearing,

Confirmed. My dad and all the other firefighters he worked with are all deaf as gently caress now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nocheez posted:

I was in a hotel room and had passed out from a night of drinking. At 3AM some dickhole pulled the fire alarm, and it took me a solid 90 seconds to get my bearings on where I was and what to do. I eventually grabbed a pillow and put it over the siren/strobe just so I could think enough to know what to do next.

Many of those alarms are either useless or so distracting and overwhelming they make things more dangerous. As you found out, loud screaming noises diminish our ability to function well. Add in a fire and it can be life threatening.

They work great as burglar alarms because, in that instance, you want them to be all confused and poo poo.

The problem comes when people decided to take the "louder is better" and apply it to situations where people need to be able to think clearly or they die.

Speaking of alarms, there was a study done more than a decade ago on why children and teens overrepresented in the data for house fire deaths, specifically in those homes with fire alarms. Turns out, the horrible annoying high pitch alarms do not reliably wake children up when they're in deep sleep.

You need a low pitch, bass sound or they won't even stir. A recorded voice clip is even better, preferably a mature woman.

It's been well over ten years since that finding, with dozens more experiments confirming the findings, but the vast majority of smoke detectors still don't have a low pitch alarm capable of waking a child.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 29, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Many of those alarms are either useless or so distracting and overwhelming they make things more dangerous. As you found out, loud screaming noises diminish our ability to function well. Add in a fire and it can be life threatening.

They work great as burglar alarms because, in that instance, you want them to be all confused and poo poo.

The problem comes when people decided to take the "louder is better" and apply it to situations where people need to be able to think clearly or they die.

this is why all airplanes with an audible warning system have a big fat MASTER CAUTION button that you can press to silence all the noises. like "yes, i got it, thank you, now shut up and let me think" :eng101:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

I actually work in a flat glass factory, let me tell you, you don't want to be near the furnaces let alone falling in them. That does bring up the question of if the crown of the furnaces had collapsed as well, because (at least now a days) all but the very beginning of the furnace where you load the batch in is covered. You have to have a certain atmosphere within the furnace and bath to get the proper quality glass.

Of course this is float glass, that could have been a different method.. still. Ow.

Reading is hard, going over it again it does appear they landed on mainly the steel support structure. Which is going to extremely hot as well. At my job you have to actually test hand rails before grabbing them, just in case they're too hot to handle.

Draven fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 29, 2018

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Gorilla Salad posted:

You need a low pitch, bass sound or they won't even stir. A recorded voice clip is even better, preferably a mature woman.

There was a business school case study about a company that wanted to sell exactly that kind of product, allowing parents to record a clip in their open voice so they could use their kids' names, personalize the alert, etc. The incumbent fire alarm mfgs got spooked and fought them tooth and nail through lawsuits, lobbying, FUD. To the best of my recollection, the product never made it to market.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

swordfish duelist posted:

I actually work in a flat glass factory, let me tell you, you don't want to be near the furnaces let alone falling in them. That does bring up the question of if the crown of the furnaces had collapsed as well, because (at least now a days) all but the very beginning of the furnace where you load the batch in is covered. You have to have a certain atmosphere within the furnace and bath to get the proper quality glass.

Of course this is float glass, that could have been a different method.. still. Ow.

Reading is hard, going over it again it does appear they landed on mainly the steel support structure. Which is going to extremely hot as well. At my job you have to actually test hand rails before grabbing them, just in case they're too hot to handle.

I heard it has to be a hydrogen atmosphere. gently caress that. Looks like my backyard glassworks isn't gonna be floating poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gorilla Salad posted:

Speaking of alarms, there was a study done more than a decade ago on why children and teens overrepresented in the data for house fire deaths, specifically in those homes with fire alarms. Turns out, the horrible annoying high pitch alarms do not reliably wake children up when they're in deep sleep.

It's been well over ten years since that finding, with dozens more experiments confirming the findings, but the vast majority of smoke detectors still don't have a low pitch alarm capable of waking a child.

I loving hate being on-site when they are doing alarm testing because that poo poo is insanely loud to my delicate ears. I can't imagine doing anything other than running away from the horrible sound and I've had people tell me that's the point, to make the building so loud and terrible no one takes their time gathering up their poo poo, they just get out. They do seem pointlessly loud and aggressive though to the point of driving already scared people into a panic.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

From a month ago

Memento posted:

The early days of nuclear research were the loving Wild West.

shelley posted:

that’s all the stuff I had on hand, though I’m certain there’s much much more to be found. approximately a fuckton of stuff from about that time was declassified in the 1990s, so (garbage-quality) scans exist on various government websites
I'm sure it will come as a shock to nobody 1940s physicists may have been cowboys, but the nuclear industry has found ways to be thread-relevant.

Required reading for criticality safety: Los Alamos National Lab report LA-13638 "A Review of Criticality Accidents"

Generally these are just standard chemical plant mishaps due to things like miscommunications and maintenance failures or improperly designed equipment. But when such things involve fissile nuclides you might end up filling a bucket with water but discovering it's actually a bucket of liquid nuclear reactor. (this actually happened)

Also notable is that most of the accidents in this report happened in process waste/scrap recovery, where apparently everyone is just engineering by the seat of their pants.

But when an accident summary includes these sentences

#20: Siberian Chemical Combine ( 13 December 1978 ) posted:

By written procedure, it was not allowed for an operator to deviate from his assigned tasks even if the deviation involved assisting others with their tasks

It was assumed that the operating personnel, because of their proficiency and discipline, would not make gross errors in loading the containers or ignore the safety limits.

Motivated by production pressures to conduct the transfers as soon as practical .....
You know several people seriously hosed up, and management put all the blame on the worker.

Nobody died in that one, but Mr "what do you mean, procedures?" had to get his arms amputated.

Something else you might find mildly horrifying is that a few of these incidents went from 'process upset' to 'nuclear accident' because water is an effective neutron moderator/reflector and to a neutron humans look like (dirty) water. Not gonna dig up the exact numbers, but without shielding anyone within ~2m is toast. Get close enough that you're actually part of the chain reaction calculations, and it's time to start thinking of a good thorium pun for when you get laughed out of valhalla.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gorilla Salad posted:

Last time I was in the smoke alarm aisle I saw some voice alert models and thought “I don’t want a goddamn computer voice yelling at me when I burn toast”.

I bought the beeping sort, one ionisation and one photoelectric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I heard it has to be a hydrogen atmosphere. gently caress that. Looks like my backyard glassworks isn't gonna be floating poo poo.

Yup. It's nasty poo poo. We also use SO2 during the process as well. We have some really nasty stuff that we use in the process. I'm thankful I oversee putting the cooled glass into boxes, but I do go up to help with special projects and requests. It's a whole different world up in the tank.

My plant actually just suffered the worst glass leak ever seen (at least in our country) we lost an entire line, the furnace ended up in the basement. The molten glass was so hot that it was causing the concrete to explode when it hit it.