Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

ZearothK posted:

Cú Sith typically cannot build Legend. All they can do is try to be a good dog.

[edit]Did they remove the Prophet Supernatural Origin from the books? Just did a quick search for Cassandra in both books and didn't find anything.

When I first read about Cú Sith legend, I was livid. I wanna be a good boy that *also* becomes the most legendary character, with the Title Goodest of Boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jade Mage posted:

When I first read about Cú Sith legend, I was livid. I wanna be a good boy that *also* becomes the most legendary character, with the Title Goodest of Boys

Good news! That's part of what's been said to be changing with the redo of supernatural paths.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Could someone fill me in on the critical difference between the the Shen unique bureaucracy purview Tianming and plain old Order? The Boons are obviously different but I can't think of a marvel Tianming could accomplish that Order couldn't.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Terrorforge posted:

Could someone fill me in on the critical difference between the the Shen unique bureaucracy purview Tianming and plain old Order? The Boons are obviously different but I can't think of a marvel Tianming could accomplish that Order couldn't.
I think part of the point is that every Shen Scion gets Tianming even if they're coming out of Monkey like a Saiyan elite. Similarly the Metamorphosis base power isn't too far off from Deception.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Is it just me, or did scion second edition choose some... wierd... gods for the shinto main gods?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Magnusth posted:

Is it just me, or did scion second edition choose some... wierd... gods for the shinto main gods?

Agreed. Izanami and Izanagi are also Primordials now instead of Gods. But hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c87ARHzyO4k

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Weird how? I've heard good stuff about the choices from actual Japanese folks on the OP forums and the Scion Discord.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Mors Rattus posted:

Weird how? I've heard good stuff about the choices from actual Japanese folks on the OP forums and the Scion Discord.

I mean, i'm not japanese myself, just a student of japanese, but it doesn't seem to actually be the most widely worshipped gods or even really the most interesting ones, afaict, and there's the wierd thing about daikokuten's "replacement." Takemikazuchi and Sarutahiko are there, but not.. Tenjin? or Ryujin?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Ryuujin's come up as basically "While yeah, he gets worship, a lot of the time in the myths he's positioned more as "Guy who gets stolen from" or 'Just-so story about why the ocean is hosed up' as opposed to a good hook for a divine parent.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 23, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I haven't really had a chance to dig into the book, how does the Animal purview work in Scion 2? Can you buy outside your parents purview or are you stuck with monkies forever if your dad's Hanuman?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Your innate boon has to match one of your patron's purviews, but you can get any purview you want with a Relic or Guide. So if you're a scion of Hanuman, you can only get Beast (Monkeys) or the generic purview (I think) for free, but you can get any Beast boon by allocating a few Birthright points.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kurieg posted:

I haven't really had a chance to dig into the book, how does the Animal purview work in Scion 2? Can you buy outside your parents purview or are you stuck with monkies forever if your dad's Hanuman?

You can buy outside your parents' specific animal.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

You can just buy generic Beasts as your innate if your parent has any Beasts. Taking a focus limits what your Beasts stuff can do, but also gives you a free Motif based on your chosen specialty and, I believe in the next draft, another bonus that they're adding but I forget what.

Also, you can pick any Beasts specialty, even if your dad is Monkeys.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is this the thread where I post my goofy homebrewed V20 Thaumaturgy paths? One friend was inspired by Little Witch Academia so we worked on a thaumaturgy path that would mimic some traditional "magic girl" tropes. Looking for feedback, I want to start freelance writing for RPGs, so I sent in a submission packet to Onyx Path with some updated material from blood magic: secrets of thaumaturgy which hadn't seen a V20 re-release yet.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

:stare:

Uh. Well. Go on, I guess.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is this the thread where I post my goofy homebrewed V20 Thaumaturgy paths? One friend was inspired by Little Witch Academia so we worked on a thaumaturgy path that would mimic some traditional "magic girl" tropes. Looking for feedback, I want to start freelance writing for RPGs, so I sent in a submission packet to Onyx Path with some updated material from blood magic: secrets of thaumaturgy which hadn't seen a V20 re-release yet.

:perfect:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
One player wanted to do bloodbending so I took a look at Neptune's Might and got fucky with level 4. We didn't have a single player with more than two dots in any combat abilities, so this was designed to address that gap:

Neptune's Might 4: Bloodbending
Regarded as a thaumaturgical mutation at best, and evidence of infernal meddling at worst, the curious art of Bloodbending is known to only one, and they have shown themselves to be unwilling, or unable, to discuss its origins.
By manipulating the fluid in a creature's body, the thaumaturge is capable of holding them in place, tossing them about like rag dolls, or even disrupting the flow of blood itself.
SYSTEM: This power costs two willpower, in addition to the standard point of blood. Each rolled success freezes one mortal in place, halting all actions until the thaumaturge releases control. Ghouls and vampires roll Stamina (+ Fortitude, if applicable) to resist, difficulty 8 for ghouls, 4 for kindred. Thaumaturge allocates successes before resist rolls, and can freely choose specific targets from a crowd.
Once control is established, the thaumaturge has a number of options available.
HOLD: The thaumaturge can continue to hold their victim, robbing them of their action. This can be maintained for a number of rounds equal to successes rolled during activation. To take a mundane action the thaumaturge can make a Willpower roll (diff 6) with the required successes equal to the number of subjects controlled.
Failure on the Willpower roll indicates a number of subjects escape equal to the difference between required and rolled successes. (Eg, rolling 3 successes against 5 victims means the 2 most powerful subjects escape.)
If successful, the thaumaturge can take one mundane action while maintaining the power. They may move half their total speed, dodge an incoming attack, or any other normal activity which does not require focus or heavy thought. They may not activate a Discipline, but they may spend blood to heal.
SHOVE: With a mighty gesture, the thaumaturge can push the fluid in a creature's body any direction they desire, like the moon manipulating the tides. By rolling Strength, the thaumaturge can move their subject in a straight line one yard per success. Mortals cannot resist, but ghouls and vampires can roll Stamina (+ Fortitude). The thaumaturge allocates successes between chosen subjects before rolling resistance, and each success rolled subtracts from the distance thrown.
The thaumaturge can choose to throw one, some, or all of the subjects under their control. To throw only some, the thaumaturge must roll Willpower, with the target success number equal to the number of subjects not thrown.
Thrown subjects must roll Athletics to land on their feet, otherwise they land prone. Characters who succeed in resisting the shove must still roll Athletics, or they are knocked off balance and fall prone.
Shoving releases a subject from control.
WRACK: This power functions similar to the 3rd level power "Blood to Water" except physical contact isn't needed. Thaumaturge rolls as normally, dividing successes between subjects. No roll to resist, to maintain control of non-wracked subjects, thaumaturge must roll Willpower as above.
Wracking a subject releases it from control.

I've got a few portions on the exact effects for characters who want to combine this with elemental mastery/spirit manipulation/conjuration too but who cares

Vulcan’s Forge
Developed in the early 80s by a rogue team of Anarch Tremere living in a van, Vulcan’s Forge proved indespensible to deep-cover agents and saboteurs who couldn’t risk carrying an entire sack of monkey-wrenches across enemy lines.
Beloved by gearheads and nomads, these powers can keep the Chantry’s motor pool in tip-top shape, or keep a heavily guarded convoy rolling through dangerous terrain. Higher levels allow the thaumaturge to will wards and rituals into an object without the time-consuming pomp and hermetic circumstance, which has saved more than one ill-prepared magus from a well-timed ambush.
Depending on the object created or effect desired, players may have to roll Firearms, Computers, Craft, or Technology. Objects created with this path have a reddish hue, and are rudimentary in their construction. These powers can be combined with Path of Conjuring and Spirit Manipulation to create more lasting, enchanted objects. These powers fail when applied to living matter.

1: MacGuyver’s Trusty Toolkit
Named after the West Coast’s most sought-after roadster, Janice MacGuyver was the public face of Vantastrophy, the Anarch coterie credited with developing Vulcan’s Forge.
By spending a blood, the thaumaturge creates the exact tool they need for the situation. The object lasts for the scene, though characters who roll 5+ successes on their Thaumatury roll finds the tool especially well suited to the task, which lowers the difficulty by 1.

2: Li’l Buddy
By spending one blood and one willpower, the thaumaturge creates an automated assistant, capable of following orders. The complexity of the orders increases with mastery of this path. The specific design is up to the Thaumaturge to decide, but specific rolls may be required for complex or technological designs. For example, creating a Buddy with specific tools for limbs would call for a Crafts check.
2 dots- Buddy follows one order until completion, will repeat action for remainder of scene.
3- Buddy can change order mid-completion, follow conditional orders, and channel user’s Auspex.
4- Buddy can channel user’s mental disciplines, be summoned with active rituals, and acts as conduit for touch-based powers.
5- Buddy develops Mental stats equal to creator

3: Auto-Ward
Through a massive expense of will, the Thaumaturge can quickly imbue an object with a Ritual they are familiar with. This does not remove the need for physical focii or material components, it merely shortens the time necessary, at the expense of a foreshortened duration.
By spending 2 Willpower, the thaumaturge may apply any Ward or Warding Circle they know to any object they touch, including objects created through thaumaturgy. Non-ward rituals cost 3 Willpower, but not every ritual can be utilized like this. Burning Blade and Flesh of the Firey Touch are frequent choices.
Player can only use ward levels at or below their mastery of Vulcan’s Forge. Eg, Ward against Lupines (level 5) can’t be used by a thaumaturge with level 3 Vulcan’s Forge.

4: Hammerspace
Using the rules above, the player may draw forth a weapon or tool already blazing with enchantment. Tools created in this manner last for the duration of the scene, and can be re-used. They are designed to perfectly suit the thaumaturge who made them, applying a -1 bonus to the difficulty of any rolls their creator makes with them. Rolling 5+ successes during creation boosts that to -2.
Weapons created with wards active last for one round or use. Users may not “save up” warded strikes, or delay the onset of a ritual, all rituals are active when the object is created.
Creating complex devices may require a seperate creation roll, but unless the caster is attempting to recreate a specific artifact, the roll is not required for objects that lack moving parts. If the creator wishes, the object can glow, and casts as much light as a torch. The creator decides how this glow manifests, and in what colors.
(eg, Constance wants to create a scythe and knows the 2nd level ritual Burning Blade. By spending 3 blood and 3 willpower, she rolls Intelligence + Occult for the ritual. She gets three successes, which means the ritual lasts for 2 strikes of her scythe.)

5: Build Team
Capable of pulling together impressive structures with nothing but grit, determination, and whatever’s on hand, masters of Vulcan’s Forge have proven themselves capable of shaping a stack of aluminum ingots and crates of bullets into a formidible minigun. Janice MacGuyver is rumored to have escaped a pack of Gangrel antitribu by breaking into a barn and melding together two tractors with a combine and chain thresher, which made messy work of her pursuers.
This power affects an amount of inert matter equal to 100lb times the successes rolled. Depending on the object created, the Ability used will vary. Furnuture can be shaped into a barricade with Crafts, homebrewing a server out of a stack of Goodwill desktops would require Computers or Technology, anything with guns uses Firearms.
This power costs two blood and two willpower. At the end of the scene, the built object collapses into a pile of its component parts, which remain warped and misshapen. Forensic research could potentially recreate the object transmuted, unless the thaumaturge takes care to cover their tracks.
This power cannot violate the laws of physics, as they are understood by the user.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 23, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Player can only use ward levels which match or exceed their mastery of Vulcan’s Forge.
This is saying "the ward level must be greater than or equal to your VF level" which is opposite of your example.

I have no real comments on balance since my understanding of V20/VtM balance (such as it is) is pretty low. The concepts seem pretty fun though.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Missed that one, I had also noticed I transposed the difficulties for vamps & ghouls resisting bloodbending as well.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Since Ive managed to devour the Magnus archives in its entirety, does anyone have suggestions for more episodic spookshow stuff of that nature? Podcasts ideally but if you got it I'll take it

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Black Tapes and Tanis are both fictionalized podcasts set in the same universe, so there are some characters who cross over. Both of them are based on the idea of a reporter investigating something weird and making a podcast about it. They're decent stories with good production values.
Limetown is the same concept of a fictional reporter investigating something weird, this time the disappearance of an entire town's population a number of years ago. This is supposed to get a season 2 but hasn't yet.
The Message is yet another fictional reporter investigating something, this one was sponsored by GE so has very good production values. It's creepy but it's based on science fiction rather than supernatural stuff.
Archive 81 is more of a classic radio play. It's about someone who is hired to work at an audio archive in the middle of nowhere and classify and organize the tapes. It starts with the tapes being creepy, but as time goes on more and more of it bleeds into his life. Season 2 is much more out there.
Alice Isn't Dead is by the Welcome to Nightvale people. It's about a woman searching for her missing wife, the titular Alice. I didn't care for this one too much, but it's not bad.
Lore isn't fictional, but it's pretty good. The host Aaron Mahnke talks about a different creepy thing every time basically. Sometimes these are possible supernatural things, sometimes they are mysterious deaths, sometimes it's just creepy poo poo like lobotomies.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I was thinking of staging an encounter where a necromancer gives my tremere players a Tempest Prison, and asking them to go sweep up all the wraiths in a nearby Spooky Basement in exchange for favors. Considering making the prison more of a contested willpower effort to amp up the drama, but I'm also curious for ways to keep a wraith encounter tense, without falling back on throwing a bunch of old souls with Lure of Flames at them.

Ideas I had:
- Chimestry/Dementation a short scene where a character relives the first time they overfed and killed a mortal, only to realize they've wandered into traffic.
- One character hallucinates that another character has been possessed
- Have spooky "ghost sounds" playing softly from some speakers, which get louder during the encounter
- Character with sanguinary animism realizes that vampiric essence is just a wraith trapped in blood, and touching or being near the prison will result in their entrapment as well
- A Risen nearly causes a masquerade breach
- High-Auspex character cursed with lingering Deathsight
- Two players trade sheets
- everything is on fire??
- someone gets Haunted, now has to deal with the possibility that a cranky spirit has moved a manhole cover or storm drain grate and is projecting an illusion into their brain, Athletics to avoid falling in. Oh no, sewers are filled with phantasmal vitae-thirsty rats! Why do people play in my games?

No one in the party has any disciplines which would let them directly interact with the shadowlands, but one player has a ghoul with Medium, so I want to avoid having them go directly toe-to-toe with the wraiths cause I think that'd just be frustrating. I know I'm basically asking them to be Gothic Punk Ghostbusters but I don't think they'll have an issue with that.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

neaden posted:

The Black Tapes and Tanis are both fictionalized podcasts set in the same universe, so there are some characters who cross over. Both of them are based on the idea of a reporter investigating something weird and making a podcast about it. They're decent stories with good production values.
Limetown is the same concept of a fictional reporter investigating something weird, this time the disappearance of an entire town's population a number of years ago. This is supposed to get a season 2 but hasn't yet.
The Message is yet another fictional reporter investigating something, this one was sponsored by GE so has very good production values. It's creepy but it's based on science fiction rather than supernatural stuff.
Archive 81 is more of a classic radio play. It's about someone who is hired to work at an audio archive in the middle of nowhere and classify and organize the tapes. It starts with the tapes being creepy, but as time goes on more and more of it bleeds into his life. Season 2 is much more out there.
Alice Isn't Dead is by the Welcome to Nightvale people. It's about a woman searching for her missing wife, the titular Alice. I didn't care for this one too much, but it's not bad.
Lore isn't fictional, but it's pretty good. The host Aaron Mahnke talks about a different creepy thing every time basically. Sometimes these are possible supernatural things, sometimes they are mysterious deaths, sometimes it's just creepy poo poo like lobotomies.

Thanks! I've tried like half of those, but since they're good I'm trusting your judgement on the other half.

Except Lore. I can't stomach their "is this obviously bullshit explanation obviously bullshit? Decide for yourself!" angle.

What strikes me as I type this is that the supernatural explanation for these things is often way less interesting than the realistic ones. For example, that story about a whole town going nuts, shooting at things that can't die and rounding up a posse to close off the mines in a panic both makes more sense and is way freakier if you suppose there wasn't a spooky manbat-thing flying around riling everyone up.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I liked Lore but I don't care about serial killers at all and at one point while binging through the archives I just kind of went "ugh, another serial killer episode" and lost interest.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Addressing the question about the death of an Exarch, it seems like a lot of the "worldview apocalypse" fears assume that the death would play out instantaneously across the world. What if the symbol faded slowly, only to be replaced by something similar? I haven't read any of the new mage books, but could one argue that major social changes are reflected at the Exarch level? Oligarchy replaced by representative democracy didn't happen overnight, and the underlying symbol of "rule by few" didn't transform all that much, it just manifests in a different way.
Similarly, the way prejudice manifests in America is changing as well. It's less predicated upon race and ethnicity than it used to be, but still extremely class-based. One symbol takes over for another, but the nature of the hierarchy remains unassailed. I think it'd be fun to run a game where it's revealed that a string of nationwide lawsuits against prominent sexual predators was kicked off when a high-ranking Seer successfully deposed the symbol for rule-through-sexual-intimidation.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I think it'd be fun to run a game where it's revealed that a string of nationwide lawsuits against prominent sexual predators was kicked off when a high-ranking Seer successfully deposed the symbol for rule-through-sexual-intimidation.

Setting aside whether that's how the metaphysics of Mage work, would that be fun to play, though? I can't think of how that would relate to a gameable hook for player characters at the table, as opposed to just dropping in a non sequitur detail. As an example to motivate high-powered player characters to go on a Threshold Seeking and transition into a game of Imperium?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I Am Just a Box posted:

Setting aside whether that's how the metaphysics of Mage work, would that be fun to play, though? I can't think of how that would relate to a gameable hook for player characters at the table, as opposed to just dropping in a non sequitur detail. As an example to motivate high-powered player characters to go on a Threshold Seeking and transition into a game of Imperium?
If the group is all Moros mages, would it transition into a game of Twilight Imperium?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
If I had to work it into a scenario, I'd probably make it a fairly late-game revelation in order to underscore the "deep weirdness" of the world. Maybe the players are paid by an elder vampire who fears someone they've wronged in life is orchestrating this movement against them, only to discover that the cause of this social upheaval is something far more vast and unstoppable.

What would other mages do if one of their own succeeded, only to be co-opted by the forces they struggled against? Would the players seek to prevent others to do the same, or would they seek to hide that information again? So much of what the pentacle struggles for almost seems hypothetical, an undeniable confirmation of that hypothesis would force a lot of mages into a crisis of faith, either they redouble their efforts given this evidence of potential success, or they realize the monstrous nature of what they're doing.
Likewise, what happens to the exarch faithful if an outsider replaced one? Would they submit to that new authority, or would they rebel? Would turncoat seers use their powers to out and discredit the abusers who empower this new symbol, leaking names and evidence to journalists in a bid to undercut its power? "Mages squabble over who gets to be the new god of coercion" might make for an interesting conflict to throw some Beast characters into.

It's definitely the kind of detail which player characters wouldn't necessarily have a lot of ability to change, unless you're running a high power chronicle. Is it obvious I've mostly read oWoD?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This sort of conversation is one of the reasons I love the fiction re: the God-Machine. It's a cosmic-level threat that can be thwarted at a local level and has a built-in reason why it might gain and lose interest in the PCs over time.

The general idea is that the GM doesn't care about grudges and it isn't specifically committed to destroying or recapturing any specific Demon; it will throw resources at trying to accomplish some goal until it becomes clear that the cost/benefit isn't worth it, and then it'll try some other way of doing things. If you provoke its attention, it'll respond with whatever local forces are available, then maybe send someone specially tailored to take you out of the picture, and if that doesn't work it'll go "ehh I'll just leave this area/individual alone" and move operations elsewhere... unless you persist in messing with it, and then it'll bring out the big guns.

There's nothing wrong with having big enemies in your game world. It's not even a problem if they're the main movers and shakers of the setting. There just needs to be a logical progression for newcomers to break into increasingly higher tiers and accomplish things at their own scale without being immediately crushed from above.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Absolutely, I've always played WoD games as slow burns, I feel like experiences which start off firing on all cylinders lose emotional depths when they don't explore a fuller thematic spectrum. It would also help to parallel more human themes of loss of authority or a sudden loss of social invulnerability, so the idea of a disempowered divinity has precedent in the game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So, essence has resonance, flavors basically. I was considering making conditions for being half full of one particular flavor of essence for my werewolves. Thoughts?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

So, essence has resonance, flavors basically. I was considering making conditions for being half full of one particular flavor of essence for my werewolves. Thoughts?

Go for it. I think there's a skeleton for that in the Forsaken Chronicler's Guide, but I forget which one. I remember one aspect had someone described getting broader jawed, and yellow-tone to their skin after they ate up a bulldozer spirit.

Mind it might get complicated with constant gathering and spending of Essence.

nofather fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 29, 2018

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's why I'd keep as having half your essence pool as the same type. They have a locus, so majority of the time, it'd be from there, which makes things easy. But they'll also be hunting a powerful depression spirit and its brood, which is what caused me to consider the idea, wondering how it'd affect the pack if they ate those spirits.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

nofather posted:

Go for it. I think there's a skeleton for that in the Forsaken Chronicler's Guide, but I forget which one. I remember one aspect had someone described getting broader jawed, and yellow-tone to their skin after they ate up a bulldozer spirit.

Mind it might get complicated with constant gathering and spending of Essence.

Now i'm wondering how hosed up a Werewolf would get if they ate nothing but essence of a certain type for a decade or so.

Mostly because the idea of presenting a mech'd up character as "Truckules, Son of the Truck" in suitably heroic fashion has me giggling like i'm five years old.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Archonex posted:

Now i'm wondering how hosed up a Werewolf would get if they ate nothing but essence of a certain type for a decade or so.

Mostly because the idea of presenting a mech'd up character as "Truckules, Son of the Truck" in suitably heroic fashion has me giggling like i'm five years old.

They Told Me I Could Be Anything I Wanted

So I Became a Truck.

I suppose that would be an appropriate reaction face for Luna, if she had a face and all.

I think there was a limit in the Chronicles thing but I didn't like the book and don't remember it that well. The bulldozer thing stood out. Requiring half-full Essence sounds like a good start, and I imagine between creating things to Siskur-Dah and loci you can probably plan out the Conditions ahead of time. Tell us how it works out, Soonmot.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Archonex posted:

I would play Beast if there was a family based off of the Killdozer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I would play Beast if there was a family based off of the Killdozer.

MEGAWEAPON! MEGAWEAPON! MEGAWEAPON!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Mack gently caress, Gearhead Edgewalker of the Road Dimension. :getin: Lair is an umbral Canadian Tire, he and his army of corrupted Roadster spirits have nicknamed their coterie the Blacktop Spiral Dancers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm finally working my way through the Beast Player's Guide for F&F, and all I have to say is that whatever happens to Matt in the future, it isn't enough.

One of the new Beast families are magically compelled to rape by a Hero's ancient curse. The text straight up says that it's not their fault and that some of them are so incredibly noble for fighting against their baser natures.

This only shows up in chapter 2 and the entire rest of the book rightly ignores all of this nonsense because Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I’ve got a bit of a conundrum that I could use some advice on. The players of my Mage: the Awakening game are part of an occult engineering firm, and as part of fulfilling client needs they’ll likely be wanting to cast long-duration spells on items or locations and then relinquish them so that they don’t have to keep concentrating on them forever. Safely relinquishing a spell, however, costs a dot of Willpower, which means that they’re going to be faced with the option of either stunting their character growth or releasing it unsafely, which is a magic crime with two members of the Guardians in the cabal. Both of these options feel like they’re kind of making GBS threads on the players’ concept, however, so I feel like I should come up with another solution.

Would hand-waving away the cost of safely relinquishing a spell cast to complete a job break the setting? I know that building works of persistent magic is hard in the Fallen World and don’t want to weaken that concept, but that’s the only thing I can really think of. (Everything else I’m coming up with is along those lines, like “you get an Arcane Experience for finishing a contract if you relinquished a spell safely”.)