Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I started listening to "Friends at the Table" since Griffin constantly says it's his favourite podcast, and goddamn the DM says "do you know what I mean?" so much it's driving me insane.

The DM, Austin Walker, straight up says you shouldn't listen to the first season for various reasons.

But I don't think it ever really overcomes that their more interested in obsessing over their own fiction vs entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

the dark secret of podcasting is everyone has a tic and if you realize it you will lose your loving mind

When I first started listening to The Adventure Zone I had to catch up on about six months worth. I considered putting together a super-cut of Griffin's 'Uhhhs' and 'Ummmms' because it felt like there were thousands of them. Listening week to week maybe it wasn't obvious, but when you're doing a few a day to catch up it was torture.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rodyle posted:

The DM, Austin Walker, straight up says you shouldn't listen to the first season for various reasons.

But I don't think it ever really overcomes that their more interested in obsessing over their own fiction vs entertaining.
no, he says you might not want to listen to the first season right away because the audio quality's not great + everyone's finding their feet a lot + there's some more standalone seasons later on that are also good starting points

also it is in fact entertaining and lmao @ "obsessing over their own fiction"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

the dark secret of podcasting is everyone has a tic and if you realize it you will lose your loving mind

In one episode of MBMBaM Travis said that he was trying to stop saying “let me throw this out.” I wish he had never mentioned that, because I didn’t notice it before, but now when I listen to the episodes before he stopped saying it, it drives me nuts! Weird how that works.

Blockhouse posted:

It is a very poorly constructed sentence.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Blockhouse posted:

it's a bad thing to be into what you create, apparently

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It got extremely tiring, when I tried friends at the table, listening every time they stopped for half an hour to talk about how what they were doing with this character or that setting element was so mold breaking for X or Y reason.

It's the kind of thing where you are left with the impression that half the time they forget they are actually doing a show.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 29, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've listened to nearly all of friends at the table and I literally have no idea what you're talking about unless you managed to listen to a season postmortem episode as the only episode you tried of the show

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Friends at the Table is more masturbatory than that time they explored the jizz cave in The Adventure Zone.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So where ARE the recommended starting points for friends at the table?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

COUNTER/Weight is generally thought of as the best entry point. The audio production is great and once they change the system five episodes in it really hits its stride and becomes truly special. If you like it, you might want to go back and check out their Hieron stuff. The most recent story Twilight Mirage is also good. It's technically a sequel to COUNTER/Weight, but there are very few connections and you don't need to listen to the first one to get into it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Serf posted:

COUNTER/Weight is generally thought of as the best entry point. The audio production is great and once they change the system five episodes in it really hits its stride and becomes truly special. If you like it, you might want to go back and check out their Hieron stuff. The most recent story Twilight Mirage is also good. It's technically a sequel to COUNTER/Weight, but there are very few connections and you don't need to listen to the first one to get into it.

Hieron is such a hard sell for me.
The content and characterization is great but the audio quality makes me want to die.

It's not helped by the fact that one dude interrupts people with SHOUTING NONSENSE.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think Marielda is a great starting point, skipping the world building episodes and going straight to ep 3 where the PCs are introduced and play eventually starts. Friends at the Table is very good, but it’s a different good than TAZ and it’s okay to not like it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Hieron is such a hard sell for me.
The content and characterization is great but the audio quality makes me want to die.

It's not helped by the fact that one dude interrupts people with SHOUTING NONSENSE.

To be fair I don't really dig Hieron either. The world doesn't grab me and despite having some good character moments, I generally am just not interested in the characters so the moments aren't worth getting to.

Also one complaint I have about Twilight Mirage is that The Veil is an interesting system but kinda janky. They recently switched to the far-superior Scum and Villainy, but getting there takes a looooong time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ojjeorago posted:

Friends at the Table is more masturbatory than that time they explored the jizz cave in The Adventure Zone.

The what- never mind, I’ll come back later.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You honestly lose nothing by skipping season 1 of Hieron. The recap episode hits all the high points and the only running gags that subsist you pick up on the meaning of very quickly (Hadrian once murdered a peaceful skeleton for no reason, Hella is a garbage person who makes every bad choice, etc.)

that said the sci-fi seasons tend to be better.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pollyanna posted:

The what- never mind, I’ll come back later.

The TAZ jizz cave is like episode 2.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also yes Friends at the Table is full stop not for everyone and given it's not even really the same subgenre of tabletop podcasts as TAZ I wouldn't recommend everyone in this thread go listen to it or anything. It's a serious roleplaying podcast where comedy occasionally happens, not a comedy podcast where serious roleplaying occasionally happens.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

https://youtu.be/GWyyNusrVTM

Yessssss

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Of course it was the one they already
had merchandise for.

poo poo, now I gotta actually listen to those Amnesty episodes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lol come on

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

BOOOOOOOOO. I would've preferred either of the other arcs. (I'll still probably listen.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The fact that it's two weeks from now sounds like it's going back to biweekly, which is good because maybe we can get some peace and quiet in this thread every once in a while.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

so does that mean they're staying with the same characters? i guess so

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Well poo poo.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah, I think we all saw that coming.

I haven't even finished the parts of Amnesty we already got.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Not surprising but disappointing. Dust’s finale episode was really dull. Ultimately I wish they’d just started something new. Ah well.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i didn't even dislike amnesty. it was just so obviously outclassed by dust

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just hope Griffin's either listened to feedback or will loosen up now that everything's established.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Honestly, the only really intolerable part of Amnesty was that it was in pilot mode and the characters were all separate to start with, so I'm sure it'll be fine with that particular bit of book keeping out of the way.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm glad they chose this one - it had a slow start for sure but it feels like it has the most legs. Plus it has the best opening theme of the three.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

well, poo poo

e: I’ll probably still listen but I found the mini-arc to be frustratingly dull. I hope Griffin gives the players more room to goof

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 29, 2018

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

So wait, hang on - we kinda knew Justin wasn't running a detective game because he didn't want to and has a new baby, but wasn't there supposed to be another mini arc to do with the spaceships in the new logo?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

With this, the McElroys have launched a targeted attack specifically to destroy this thread

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I actually unsubscribed from TAZ like three weeks ago because it wasn't holding my interest any longer. Probably will not be tuning in for amnesty. I just don't find that system, which they used for basically all three mini arcs, entertaining to listen to

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
my biggest concern is not railroading or whatever, but Aubrey Little

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I never finished listening to the Amnesty episodes, and probably enjoyed Dust the best of the three, but Travis is just so, so bad at character voices that the rotating cast of generic western NPCs would've been impossible to sustain.

Travis's NPCs ranged from "Travis" to "Sleepy Travis" to "Slow-talking Travis" to "Really-slow-talking Travis" to "Very Sleepy Travis"

Raserys posted:

Man I'm coming off as a Travis hater right now, but Aubrey is honestly why I never bothered finishing Amnesty.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Raserys posted:

kill the bunny imho

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm curious to see where things go - I didn't really mind Amnesty at first but I got my hopes up they were doing Clint's since the trailer opened on that.

I think my issue with Amnesty is how everything felt kinda of disconnected. It felt almost more like a play then an adventure.

Not Operator posted:

So wait, hang on - we kinda knew Justin wasn't running a detective game because he didn't want to and has a new baby, but wasn't there supposed to be another mini arc to do with the spaceships in the new logo?

I'm guessing the logo art was just supposed to be a sort of broad capture of tabletop themes that incorporated some of the ideas they were workshopping, rather then "here are all the stories we're going to do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

With this, the McElroys have launched a targeted attack specifically to destroy this thread

:lol:

I’ll give it one more shot. If I hop off the train after that, well, I’ll just have to be happy with the three years of enjoyment I’ve already gotten out of the podcast. Kinda like when Rose Buddies turned into Wonderful!