Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really should of played Nuclear Throne back when it was fresh. I probably would of loved it but now I have too many other things I wanna do instead.

By which I mean keep playing Into the Breach because it makes me feel smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dangit i just zonked out on my couch for two hours instead of playing any bideo games, what a waste :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I make all my money by sneaking up behind people with a cane and yanking coins from their exposed purses.

Ciaphas posted:

dangit i just zonked out on my couch for two hours instead of playing any bideo games, what a waste :(

same and there's no way I'm going back to sleep so work is going to be a draaag.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you have a firetv + people to play trivia games with, download Jeopardy PlayShow IMO, which is probably the best computer version of jeopardy I've ever played. it uses actual episodes of jeopardy except whenever alex asks a question it pauses the stream for a second to give you a chance to buzz in on your phone and speak the answer, and it handles daily doubles and final jeopardy the way you'd want it to. but also because its a real episode you still get the authentic jeopardy experience of making fun of the contestants and at the end it compares your group's scores to the TV contestants' so you can laugh at how dumb they are

the business model is loving stupid though, there are two free episodes and then they want to charge you a dollar per beyond that, for something you could realistically only ever play once. should really be a subscription service or just jam it full of commercials like a real TV broadcast IMO

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yakuza is the greatest

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Far Cry 5 is an badass game where you can follow a woman around as she awkwardly bethesda-shuffles up a hill while telling an edgy story about the bad guys pissing in kids mouths.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

if you have a firetv + people to play trivia games with, download Jeopardy PlayShow IMO, which is probably the best computer version of jeopardy I've ever played. it uses actual episodes of jeopardy except whenever alex asks a question it pauses the stream for a second to give you a chance to buzz in on your phone and speak the answer, and it handles daily doubles and final jeopardy the way you'd want it to. but also because its a real episode you still get the authentic jeopardy experience of making fun of the contestants and at the end it compares your group's scores to the TV contestants' so you can laugh at how dumb they are

the business model is loving stupid though, there are two free episodes and then they want to charge you a dollar per beyond that, for something you could realistically only ever play once. should really be a subscription service or just jam it full of commercials like a real TV broadcast IMO

It seems to me a no-brainer to have a trivia game that just uploads itself constantly from a database. There is basically infinite trivia questions you can generate.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

It seems to me a no-brainer to have a trivia game that just uploads itself constantly from a database. There is basically infinite trivia questions you can generate.
I know a few have existed, and there are like jeopardy trainers that potential contestants use that cull questions from the archive of actual jeopardy questions, but the IMO the hard part of trivia games isn't actually the questions, its the surrounding package. most of the time these days that means a charismatic host like cookie masterson or scott from HQ, even the most popular old school trivia games were just the C64/PC/console versions of jeopardy that definitely benefited from alex trebek-adjacency. a fat stack of questions doesn't cut it for most people

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Doesn't SA have game jams somewhat regularly?
Multiple ones, they're probably even adding one for spring. Awful Jams is pretty chill and supportive, and if I think you even have a good idea or follow through I'll probably end up fawning over it. It's not technically affiliated with SA kinda sorta but all the goons are from one of the gamedev Discords iirc and many of them are part of indie teams or have worked on games at some point in their careers.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I know a few have existed, and there are like jeopardy trainers that potential contestants use that cull questions from the archive of actual jeopardy questions, but the IMO the hard part of trivia games isn't actually the questions, its the surrounding package. most of the time these days that means a charismatic host like cookie masterson or scott from HQ, even the most popular old school trivia games were just the C64/PC/console versions of jeopardy that definitely benefited from alex trebek-adjacency. a fat stack of questions doesn't cut it for most people

all you really need for some successful trivia is a pitcher or two of beer

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's the ultimate package

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man I love pub quiz. I used to have a regular crew that would do that weekly but now it's more of a once every couple of months thing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this entire game has three songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3pTCATvSPk

on one hand it plays like complete loving poo poo and feels like a budget game from 2002 but on the other hand it's bad in a very particular way that kind of owns

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 29, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I have fond memories of reading the extremely lovely yet also very broken in an interesting way tabletop RPG based on this setting. I knew it was part of a broader franchise but I don't really know anything about it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

I have fond memories of reading the extremely lovely yet also very broken in an interesting way tabletop RPG based on this setting. I knew it was part of a broader franchise but I don't really know anything about it

ark of sinners like. tries to give you a big moveset but the problem is it's the kind of action game where that moveset doesn't remotely matter so you just end up using the basic three hit combo forever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That matches the level of "this sounds cool" vs, like actual though I expect from the anima franchise

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I see the one on steam occasionally show up in the recommendations. I assume it is not worth looking into.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway, it has the greatest translation of any game released on wiiware

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lol that art is used in the RPG rulebook unchanged

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

I see the one on steam occasionally show up in the recommendations. I assume it is not worth looking into.

this looks even more badass

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Speaking of making games, I have shared this before, but I once designed (when 10) my own SMB4:

Just a few of my drawings :D

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When I played the first Pikmin I pretended I was a biologist. I had a little notebook where I sketched pictures of the enemies and wrote down observations about their behaviors.

Then Pikmin 2 came out and the Piklopedia had actual biologial reports on every creature and I was like :aaaaa:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Love & Destroy
Love OR Destroy?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I finally got around to playing the Labyrinth expansion to Hacknet, and it was very very good. I screwed up once and had to alt+f4 during the finale because I couldn't bring myself to let it happen :(

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Speaking of making games, I have shared this before, but I once designed (when 10) my own SMB4:

Just a few of my drawings :D

Spoiler: this is the cutest thing I've ever seen

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

al-azad posted:

Love & Destroy
Love OR Destroy?

Game's badass, wish it was more than 30 minutes long

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So the new God of War is just called God of War. They gotta stop doing this poo poo

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Jay Rust posted:

So the new God of War is just called God of War. They gotta stop doing this poo poo

should have called it The God Of War

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Grog of War

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

g-war

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

By which I mean keep playing Into the Breach because it makes me feel smart.

I really have to play Into the Breach sometime soon. I love tactics RPGs and its whole "Pacific Rim but also with time travel" thing sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm also extremely curious to see how it actually plays. You can see the enemy's next move when you're planning your own, right? So I imagine it turns into more of a puzzle game than a tactics game, to a certain degree, where you know exactly what's coming but need to figure out the best way to respond to it.

Jay Rust posted:

Like at least throw a subtitle on it. I get that they don't want to continue the numbering scheme and imply that it's a similar game to its predecessors, but I'm really tired of having to refer to these reboots by <name of game> <year of release> like Doom 2016 to prevent confusion.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I would play the new video game, GWAR

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

Should have been Shadow of the God of War Origins Revelations Gaiden Deception Kiwami: Zero.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Realpost: subtitles are for the most part kludgy and ugly and I much prefer the clean look of the game name because people are just gonna call it "the new God of War" IRL anyway.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

I really have to play Into the Breach sometime soon. I love tactics RPGs and its whole "Pacific Rim but also with time travel" thing sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm also extremely curious to see how it actually plays. You can see the enemy's next move when you're planning your own, right? So I imagine it turns into more of a puzzle game than a tactics game, to a certain degree, where you know exactly what's coming but need to figure out the best way to respond to it.

Yeah it definitely has a bit of a puzzle game feel to it, especially with the relatively tiny size of the play field. Unlike a puzzle though, the game doesn't always give you a "solvable" setup, depending on how well you played the turn before or how well you picked your upgrades, etc. It super good and feels really tight compared to FTL

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Should have been Shadow of the God of War Origins Revelations Gaiden Deception Kiwami: Zero.

God of War 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue X: Birth by War 0.2 -- A Fragmentary Axe

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yakuza is the greatest

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Realpost: subtitles are for the most part kludgy and ugly and I much prefer the clean look of the game name because people are just gonna call it "the new God of War" IRL anyway.

It’s going to end up being God of War (2018)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TR2013 ended up becoming that and it's a cool abbrev imho.

• Locked thread