Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i regularly wish death upon the crashes that catch me in traffic

although i was caught in that particular backup i don’t recall either way wishing it that time

but i hope i did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wait, poo poo, that's walter
that's a friend of a friend, gently caress
he did dead space poo poo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hmm i dont think ppl dying by the hand of musk is very cool at all actually

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

typical apple thinking

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't wish death on anyone

i wish an eternity in hell upon donald trump, etc. but that's it

tesla assholes only get an eternity of hangnails

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

typical apple thinking

lmao drat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how many black people do you think died in his family’s emerald mine during apartheid before his dad moved them away

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how many black people do you think died in his family’s emerald mine during apartheid before his dad moved them away

pretty hard to mine with one hand imo

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Tesla can't go under soon enough

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
Sad when there's a face with a fatality
Even worse when it was avoidable and the product is likely at fault
My heart hurts for the family

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Baxate posted:

Tesla can't go under soon enough

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Krakox posted:

Sad when there's a face with a fatality
Even worse when it was avoidable and the product is likely at fault
My heart hurts for the family

they’re all avoidable and up until last year it was the #1 cause of death for people under 35 (now it’s opiates)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they’re all avoidable and up until last year it was the #1 cause of death for people under 35 (now it’s opiates)

when will they automate opiates so we can avoid this senselessness?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

the target near me has self checkouts that lock themselves down if you try to remove anything you scanned or other things that I guess they believe self-checkout thieves would do, so then it ends up being faster to check out your stuff again on a fresh machine than to find someone to unfreeze the old one

the self-checkouts at the target i go to have cameras now, all "monitoring in progress" like it's some anti-theft thing, and i'm almost certain they're using facial recognition to match you up with the products you buy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

infernal machines posted:

i live in an old ethnic enclave, next to a butcher and a fruit and veg market. i make almost every meal from fresh ingredients, from scratch. i still have a little spare tire going because i burn approximately no calories per day

ya but i bet all the old ethnic grandmas think you're very cute and "oh you have some weight on you!!" :xd:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Elder Postsman posted:

the self-checkouts at the target i go to have cameras now, all "monitoring in progress" like it's some anti-theft thing, and i'm almost certain they're using facial recognition to match you up with the products you buy.

i've noticed that too but other stores seem to be doing it also, at least for the "install camera/display and put MONITORING IN PROGRESS on the screen" bit. i would not be surprised at all if target is doing facial recognition considering their (creepy imo) history of store recon and helping intelligence agencies

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bhodi posted:

i'm the guy who continues to use autopilot after it tries to kill me multiple times

the basilisk demands unwavering faith in tech

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i've noticed that too but other stores seem to be doing it also, at least for the "install camera/display and put MONITORING IN PROGRESS on the screen" bit. i would not be surprised at all if target is doing facial recognition considering their (creepy imo) history of store recon and helping intelligence agencies

it's almost certainly doing nothing. just the idea that they are being watched is enough to stop many people from stealing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

those cameras are dummy cameras but there are hi-res cameras in the ceiling watching every checkout

my home depot has these obviously fake cameras in the electrical aisle with flashing lights and beeping noises at eye level every 4 feet

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, the ones here have those too. they've gone from fake camera, to fake camera with flashing lights, to fake camera with flashing lights and beeping, to fake camera with flashing lights and beeping that also shows a live feed of you when you walk up, and now finally they have fake cameras with flashing lights and beeping that show a live feed of you when you walk up and also there's a little picture-in-picture of security guard watching camera feeds to imply that you're being watched right then (but it's obviously fake stock footage)

i'd imagine it doesn't stop people stealing stuff at all

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

shoplifting owns and I need to get back to doing it for fun.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, the ones here have those too. they've gone from fake camera, to fake camera with flashing lights, to fake camera with flashing lights and beeping, to fake camera with flashing lights and beeping that also shows a live feed of you when you walk up, and now finally they have fake cameras with flashing lights and beeping that show a live feed of you when you walk up and also there's a little picture-in-picture of security guard watching camera feeds to imply that you're being watched right then (but it's obviously fake stock footage)

i'd imagine it doesn't stop people stealing stuff at all
lmfao

home depot is such a loving garbage store too. i had cut up about 4x stock 1x1-10' in the store for a halloween project and they painstakingly went through the effort of measuring every single piece and adding up like 2.5', 2.6', 2.45' even tho i said it was 4x 10-ft ers. i think it took like 10 minutes to checkout

i don't like lowes SUPPORT ARE TROOPS poo poo, but its such a much better store by an order of magnitude that i'll slightly out of my way to go there instead

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

My buddy was a manager at lowe's and had to enforce the corporate policy of accepting any and all returns, including for things that were clearly not purchased at lowe's like husky and craftsman brand tools and random clothes from target. So if you want to sell your old nintendo games for ten thousand dollars hit em up.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i met a guy who used to be vice president of a couple now defunct cell phone companies (i checked his linkedin) that had done time on a duii who said he used to love stealing wine because he's a white yuppie and it's just like that scene in don't be a menace

of course it's not exactly like that anymore but a little confidence in an upscale store on a busy summer day goes a long way

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Yes, that name sounds familiar. That place is amazing. That entire mall is one of my favorite places in Nagoya. Osu Kannon.

If you are ever in Nagoya, I recommend stopping by. If you ever are on a trip down to Osaka from Tokyo, I recommend going to ramen alley in the Nagoya train station. It is jam packed with a bunch of amazing ramen shops.

Thanks for the recommends, will keep in mind when visiting. My favorite place in Nagoya is the Tokoname pottery town and ceramic catte exhibition on the path leading to it from the station.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stymie posted:

fun fact: walmart doesn't stop or even deter shoplifters because they've done studies and found out people who shoplift from walmart still shop at walmart so unless they get really ambitious with the shoplifting walmart still comes out ahead in terms of profit

target, however, invests heavily in anti-theft technologies/surveillance and vigorously prosecutes shoplifters and yet is still the more bougie choice for big box stores

why is it “yet still the more bougie choice”, i thought bougies naturally gravitate to stores without petty theft

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

please do

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also all self checkouts ive used in latvia are great

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ive never shoplifted

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

ive never shoplifted

but you’ve stolen our hearts with your delightful posts

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

President Beep posted:

I specifically requested the desktop version of the site so I could press NICE! on this post.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

fart simpson posted:

ive never shoplifted

I wish ur mom has shoplifted some condoms

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fart simpson posted:

ive never shoplifted

i accidentally did in the late 90s because i saw a cd of a new game at a checkout aisle and thought it was a free demo. when i realized it i walked right back in because it turned out to be a 90s golf simulator and there was no way i wanted it legitimately or otherwise

theres the solution: attach lame garbage to everything so people are embarrassed to steal things. one of those theft clips but its arnold palmer 97 daytona links

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
When I worked in the warehouse at a fancy home furnishing store they specifically told us brutish thugs not to engage with shoplifting customers, despite our physical dominance in having to lift furniture all day vs. the dainty little shoplifters.

God retail sucked and I have an appreciation for those stuck there and make sure to treat them nicely. Being a programmer is an otherworldly better job.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

wide stance posted:

When I worked in the warehouse at a fancy home furnishing store they specifically told us brutish thugs not to engage with shoplifting customers, despite our physical dominance in having to lift furniture all day vs. the dainty little shoplifters.

God retail sucked and I have an appreciation for those stuck there and make sure to treat them nicely. Being a programmer is an otherworldly better job.

lol same. feels good to be in the 20%

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
self check out is gr8. i use it all the time

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also all self checkouts ive used in latvia are great

Wish you'd check yourself out of yospos!!!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

ive never shoplifted

President Beep posted:

:3:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i have no idea how the self-checkout assisters do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My brother got prosecuted by Kmart for stealing underwear

(Meanwhile i never got caught and netted myself 100's of dollars in Legos as a kid)