Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

HEY NONG MAN posted:

lmao is that an internal vent stack?

kid sinister posted:

It's an "air admittance valve". They're supposed to be used for fixtures that would be difficult or impossible to run an actual vent to.

Yup. They're more commonly referred to as a "studor vent". You'll usually find 'em in kitchen islands with sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
While it never was a mobile home, I knew someone whose grandfather built a small cabin on Deep Creek Lake in Maryland just after the dam was put in (he was on the engineering team and I believe he was gifted the land). Later on, they built a new foundation and first floor, and stuck the wood cabin on top. They did a great job, and ended up with a pretty cozy place.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Baronjutter posted:

My friend bought a house that started as a "high end" mobile home and was then renovated and expanded to the point where maybe only 30% of it was the original mobile home frame. It was even insured as a house. But after she bought it the insurance company asked a bunch of questions and determined to reclassify it as a mobile home. I'm sure even if you ended up replacing the mobile home portion entirely over the years it would turn into some sort of grandfather's axe situation where it's foreverally a mobile home.

Yeah, it would be the Double-wide of Theseus.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

For what it's worth - I close on my current home (selling) and new home (buying) next week. At least locally (midwest US) I had to fill out a seller's disclosure form where I had to select what type of property I was selling (house, duplex, apartment, condo, etc), whether it was conventional construction or manufactured, and whether primary construction was done on or off-site. Additionally I had to select whether the house had a crawlspace, a foundation, or was secured/unsecured mobile.

If such a document was completed and signed by the seller of the fancy mobile/manufactured home, and it can be proven the disclosure was intentionally incorrect, the seller, listing agent, and inspector could have some liability in court.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My builder, whom I've had to fight tooth and nail to get him to show up at all for the last 6 months, has asked me to advance my completion payment for the second time so he can finance finishing work he's already been paid for.

:fuckoff:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Goober Peas posted:

For what it's worth - I close on my current home (selling) and new home (buying) next week. At least locally (midwest US) I had to fill out a seller's disclosure form where I had to select what type of property I was selling (house, duplex, apartment, condo, etc), whether it was conventional construction or manufactured, and whether primary construction was done on or off-site. Additionally I had to select whether the house had a crawlspace, a foundation, or was secured/unsecured mobile.

If such a document was completed and signed by the seller of the fancy mobile/manufactured home, and it can be proven the disclosure was intentionally incorrect, the seller, listing agent, and inspector could have some liability in court.

She has to pay a bit more in insurance and won't get as good of a payout on a total loss, but she managed to buy an entire actual house and the land its sitting on for only 150,000 because the previous owner knew her and wanted to give her a deal. Similar houses on similar lots in similar close-to-town-and-the-ocean all go for 500k+

I'm pretty sure the land alone is worth more than 150k, the house is just a bonus.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jaded Burnout posted:

My builder, whom I've had to fight tooth and nail to get him to show up at all for the last 6 months, has asked me to advance my completion payment for the second time so he can finance finishing work he's already been paid for.

Checks out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jaded Burnout posted:

:fuckoff: indeed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
We're finally getting some decent weather, which means the contractors have come to fix a minor wood rot issue. As part of fixing it, they had to pop the (metal) edge caps off of my roof, which means I can get this nice little cross-section:

Unless I miss my guess, that is metal shingles over plywood over regular shingles over the old roof deck. :sigh: Why bother removing the old roof? Just slap a new one on top of it!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Doesn't snow in your area does it? I can't imagine a heavy snowfall on top of all that weight of the old roofs can be a good thing.

Zil fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 27, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nope, no snow in the San Francisco Bay Area. Instead we get aggressively pleasant weather year-round.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

We're finally getting some decent weather, which means the contractors have come to fix a minor wood rot issue. As part of fixing it, they had to pop the (metal) edge caps off of my roof, which means I can get this nice little cross-section:

Unless I miss my guess, that is metal shingles over plywood over regular shingles over the old roof deck. :sigh: Why bother removing the old roof? Just slap a new one on top of it!

Different areas have different code about it, but where I grew up you were allowed to stack three roofs, as long as the oldest one wasn't over 50 years old.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLuzmXLORSg

Oh dear.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, you can have two, nowadays.

I think my all-time record was three layers of asphalt shingles. On top of the original, 1930 cedar-shake roof. I didn't know until that day that you could get 3" roofing nails.

I have a single layer of 20-year shingles; we have debated just having a new roof laid over the old one...but we'll probably fork over the $1500 demo costs+ dumpster fee & have it ripped off. That is, if it starts leaking before we get a good wind/hailstorm and can get insuirance to pay for it.

For what it's worth, your roof looks fine, especially for your climate.

One of my favorite windstorm loss memories was this housing development outside of Mullica Hill, NJ; these were higher-end, $300K + houses, in the late 90s.

We had an event blow through, and I got something like 25-losses in this development. Which was weird in & of itself. Head out there...and the roofs are all hammered - huge swathes of shingles off, giant sheets of shingles all up in the trees, laying over cars...looked like a tornado went through...except there was little to no siding damage, and no structural damage.

Turned out the developer protocol had the roofers staple the shingles on. No roofing nails...just staples.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 27, 2018

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Now I'm in the mood for warm weather and the Mullica Hill wine tasting festival.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

PainterofCrap posted:

I think my all-time record was three layers of asphalt shingles. On top of the original, 1930 cedar-shake roof. I didn't know until that day that you could get 3" roofing nails.

I have a single layer of 20-year shingles; we have debated just having a new roof laid over the old one...but we'll probably fork over the $1500 demo costs+ dumpster fee & have it ripped off. That is, if it starts leaking before we get a good wind/hailstorm and can get insuirance to pay for it.

For what it's worth, your roof looks fine, especially for your climate.

One of my favorite windstorm loss memories was this housing development outside of Mullica Hill, NJ; these were higher-end, $300K + houses, in the late 90s.

We had an event blow through, and I got something like 25-losses in this development. Which was weird in & of itself. Head out there...and the roofs are all hammered - huge swathes of shingles off, giant sheets of shingles all up in the trees, laying over cars...looked like a tornado went through...except there was little to no siding damage, and no structural damage.

Turned out the developer protocol had the roofers staple the shingles on. No roofing nails...just staples.

I bought a house back in 1998 that was built in 1939 (suburban Chicago). The roof had skip sheathing with cedar shakes and three layers of asphalt shingles on 2x4 rafters. The last layer of shingles were nailed in to the previous layers only. When I had to walk the roof I could feel it rebounding like a trampoline. I eventually had all the layers removed, plywood sheathing applied, then a new shingle roof. Sold it for mad cash.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I am not an inspection wizard but I know I'm supposed to lol at the stablok breaker in this flip air bnb. However, the kitchen is well stocked and the beds are very comfortable. I'm thrilled to have a real coffee maker instead of those dumbass instant cups.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The wifi is really good though lol.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That is entirely consistent with every airbnb I've ever stayed in.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

peanut posted:

The wifi is really good though lol.

Interesting. They built a replacement rack for that patch panel because they lost the original, then never screwed anything into it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PainterofCrap posted:

This came up in local news recently and was singled out as a reason for why a fire in a bunch of row houses spread really fast.

They built them as flat roofed asphalt shingled houses in the 70s which was dumb since we're in Finland, then after a few years in the 80s when that was shown to be unworkable, they built new slanting roofs on top of the older roofs. This was banned as a construction method in the 90s because it's not very good in case of a fire. The asphalt shingles even give of flammable gas when heated it said.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The airbnb I just stayed in had a hottub just set on the grass and plumbed without being in a deck or anything. This kinda got overshadowed by the blood smeared on the bathroom wall and a Peewee Herman mannequin posed overlooking the bed.

5 stars

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

His Divine Shadow posted:

This came up in local news recently and was singled out as a reason for why a fire in a bunch of row houses spread really fast.

They built them as flat roofed asphalt shingled houses in the 70s which was dumb since we're in Finland, then after a few years in the 80s when that was shown to be unworkable, they built new slanting roofs on top of the older roofs. This was banned as a construction method in the 90s because it's not very good in case of a fire. The asphalt shingles even give of flammable gas when heated it said.

Shingles on anything less than a 2/12 pitch is a disaster waiting to happen.

It's funny you mention building an entire roof system over an old one.

Just had a nasty barbershop/storage area fire in an old cinderblock building. Burned through from the ground floor into the (now) apartment on the second floor. While scoping it I discovered that the building was originally a 1-story with a flat (rolled) roof; a second floor was added (it's all frame, no block up there) in the last fifty years.

What was weird, was that they built a whole second floor deck right over the old roof - new floor joists, instead of working with the existing roof. I only noticed because it burned through it all in one corner, and it took a minute to absorb what I was seeing: ceiling/roof joists, topped by sheathing + roof; then, 2x8 joists, topped by 3/4" plywood sheathing.

The only reason I can think of that they did this was that there had to be a slight slope in the roof, and they levelled it with the new floor deck, either by ripping or scissor-sistering. Could also have been to beef up the structure. Whatever the reason, the fire had a great path through that space to the front half of the place; it was a five-alarm fire, nasty & hot, & a real fight to put out.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Changed out the heating elements in my cooling tower. The new apprentice accidentally pressure washed the interior nut into dust during our spring cleaning.

I'm willing to admit that maybe these ought to have been swapped out a year or two ago. Possibly.

The threads on the cap to the electrical were so seized I was afraid it would be full of water or something. Took kroil, cheater bar, and a torch without budging. Finally got it free after smashing the casing out of anger until it cracked and flexed a little.

Lo and behold, it was perfectly clean in there. Thank god. I didn't want to pull 3 phases of new 10 gauge through liquid-tite that makes a bunch of mysterious non-euclidian turns.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
I live in a house built in the 1890s, and some sections of the roof had *five* layers of roofing on it. Several support beams in the attic were actually broken from the weight.

We finally tore it all off and did it right.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:psyduck:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Me: huh, weird layout but I don't get wha...:stare:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The only way that could be better is if the plug of the powerboard came out from the wall and plugged into that actual socket next to it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

~Coxy posted:

The only way that could be better is if the plug of the powerboard came out from the wall and plugged into that actual socket next to it. was plugged in to a loose hanging socket in the wall

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Probably not technically germane to the thread but:

https://i.imgur.com/Q0I8zap.gifv

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Jaded Burnout posted:

:fuckoff:

I almost wanna cross post this to the Legal Questions thread. What do you even do in this situation? Tell the dude "no, I already paid you for that, get your rear end over here or I'll sue you" ...? Or do you front them a pittance and read them the Riot Act?

And if the dude never finished the work, what are your chances of getting actual legal recompense? I'm guessing most sleazy contractors don't show up in court, get a default judgement against them, but nothing happens because they have no assets to speak of.

EDIT:

Bad Munki posted:

Post that poo poo to the OSHA megathread, toot-sweet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

I'll admit I'd be fascinated, but I'd like to think my self preservation would be stronger and I'd haul rear end

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

null_pointer posted:

I almost wanna cross post this to the Legal Questions thread. What do you even do in this situation? Tell the dude "no, I already paid you for that, get your rear end over here or I'll sue you" ...? Or do you front them a pittance and read them the Riot Act?

And if the dude never finished the work, what are your chances of getting actual legal recompense? I'm guessing most sleazy contractors don't show up in court, get a default judgement against them, but nothing happens because they have no assets to speak of.

I've already done "get your rear end over here or I'll sue you", this is AFTER that.

IANAL but it's possible to get two kinds of results on a contract, one is money, the other is compelling action. In either case the purpose is to get you back to whole. So he could be compelled to finish the work, or I could have someone else finish it and sue him for the difference. He's skipping out because he's working on other clients so he does have the assets.

I deferred until the last of the expensive materials arrived and was going to tell him to eat poo poo when he asked again, but as it happens he then no-show no-called the very next two days so he hasn't had the balls to ask again.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

When you have two windows but only one pair of fake shutters.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Now I’m wondering which locales have building codes that technically allow this and which don’t.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Sure, buddy. Finish the job and I will pay you the completion bond the same day!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Deleted image

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

Deleted image

It was a handrail that, instead of sloping in a straight line, zig-zags with the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cache to the rescue.