Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

encouraging kids to gamble: not a great look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack B Nimble posted:

Question: you're in a house with an enemy: you've broken line of sight and there's only one way to get to each other. Do you push or do you wait? If your answer depends on other factors, what are they? Grenades, team mates, health?

For context, I started off assuming that letting them come to me would give me an advantage but the camping isn't working out in my favor. By default I blame myself but I'm dying for insights, comments, and suggestions. The new plan I'm forming is to wait a beat, then push in while prefiring, at least if I die then it isn't preceded by a solid minute of adsing a doorway or stairwell.

I'm no expert but my decision depends on a bunch of things, here's my usual tree:

1) Am I stuck and they have more numbers?

1a) If they're camping and I have a partner, I have my partner flank them. If my partner can't flank them for reasons and I don't know their position, then I try to outheal them if I have enough. If I don't have enough heals, then I try to create a diversion and escape. Similarly, if my friend is camped, I flank and kill them.

1b) If they're invading and know I'm in the building, I camp them and kill them. If camping isn't working out in your favor then you need to work it out because both in TPP and FPP killing someone invading you is one of the easiest parts of the game, keep practicing.

1c) If they're invading and don't know I'm in the building, I do the same as 1b but I sit still as soon as I hear them and move slowly to a camping position without making a sound. You usually have to seize the advantage because the enemy (especially at low MMR) will be stunned to find someone in a place he wasn't expecting or alert to. You can't give pause.

In a very recent match I was put in a situation where I heard a guy in the building next to mine. I camped him in the stairs with an S12K. I only hit him with one pellet when he entered and he rushed to take cover in a room, but since he was obviously startled I immediately rushed and killed him. Watching from his cam, he pretty much shot the ground and didn't hit even remotely close to me, because he panicked. Had I given him a few more seconds to gather his thoughts the story might have changed. Afterwards I heard steps from his friend, but I couldn't find him from the terrace. I broke a front window and left from the back door. Watching the replay, the window break made him think that I (or my partner) was on a different building even though he had a lot of evidence against that, and he decide to camp it instead. I looked around a bit because I assumed he'd be camping the front door and I flanked him, but didn't find him because instead he decided to camp the other building. Either way I killed his partner and escaped.

2) Are they stuck?

2a) If you're away from them or you're closer (or better, inside) the white circle and they're not, then you kill them while they're rushing to you.

2b) If you're close to each other and you're not in a building, flank them. Pay attention to the sound because they might choose to do the same.

2c) If you're close to each other and they're camping a building - if they don't have a weapon rush them. If they have a s686 bait two shots and rush while they recharge, and so on. If you have grenades bombard them. If you don't have grenades shoot from outside, have your friend offer suppressing fire, and invade them. You can shoot as well to distract or disorient them before rushing in. Use noise to disorient them, use a grenade to scare them out, use whatever tool you have to gently caress up their senses. If you have a kar or something that will kill them in one headshot keep a close look at the window. If they're peaking in frequent or semi-frequent intervals you can pre-shoot and kill them fairly predictably.

Those are the situations I can think.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

At least they tell you exact drop rate percents. Isn't that the law in Korea or maybe it was China or somewhere?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh guns stay skinned after the first person picks it up?

That's cool. They need a button to re-apply your own skin though so those who spent hundreds of USD don't have to stare at a blank beige gun though.

edit: brb buying beige skins

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Oh guns stay skinned after the first person picks it up?

That's cool. They need a button to re-apply your own skin though so those who spent hundreds of USD don't have to stare at a blank beige gun though.

edit: brb buying beige skins

You can remove and add skins by pressing Alt+Shift+Left Click. Something along those lines, I forget the exact button combination.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

oddium posted:

the free scar skin is good and the scar is good so i'm happy. also the nickelodeon orange weapons are insanely good

:crossarms:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hot take

Skins and the culture around them are pants on head stupid.

If I have to listen to csgo style "yo bro that skin is sick" in pubg I'm going to be somewhat sad.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

prepare for the blues, then, friend

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jerkface posted:

nah ARs are so important for winning. If you don't have a sniper or a rifle going into the final circles you're boned unless there is some seriously advantageous terrain or the enemy is very bad. Especially on Miramar the way they generate circles. I don't want a game coming down to whether or not I found an scarce AR or managed to kill someone that had one. They'd have to do some serious tinkering with the mechanics of the weapons, as it stands there are clear cut "early game" only weapons.

i think it'd be cool if you could pick for alternate game modes like "no rifles" or even something wacky as gently caress like "pistols & grenades only".

or, hell, just to be able to choose which map you want to play would be cool too, i guess

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

The lack of white noise in the background makes sneaking up on people far harder than it used to be so unless you're in a red zone/plane path you're better off going in fullbore.

Yea holy poo poo the new ambient noise is so quiet it feels like I have wallhacks sometimes, footsteps are clearly audible from over 100m. If you're trying to sneak up on someone you either need to be crouch walking or wait for redzone or some other noisy distraction.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tony Phillips posted:

You're a factor of 100 off. You calculated it as if it's in 1.28% of the crates. It's actually a 1 in 7812 crate skin.

It's WAY WAY WAY better to just sell the crates if you have them, and if there's a particular skin you NEED to have - just buy the thing.

Maths is hard, I guess.

That at least makes the price levels on the skins make more sense.

Regarding camping... Sometimes it pays off to camp where no one expects you to. This guy got extremely lucky no one spotted him proning on a slope, but at least he knew when to engage and when not to. He saw me enter the building and knew enough not to engage the other camper until I'd done my part.

(I'm the guy who should have proned while looting the corpse.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptk5FFprvs0

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Cinara posted:

Yea holy poo poo the new ambient noise is so quiet it feels like I have wallhacks sometimes, footsteps are clearly audible from over 100m. If you're trying to sneak up on someone you either need to be crouch walking or wait for redzone or some other noisy distraction.

It's too quiet, honestly. I shouldn't be able to hear people switching their weapon's attachments.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
found a motorbike sans sidecar for the first time today, flipped it and killed myself on an invisible bump in the middle of the road 30 seconds later

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have not had weird geometry poo poo with any vehicle, I drive on roads and off road on all vehicles, just took a truck up a loving mountain earlier today, when do I get to complain about this stuff like all the cool kids?

v-- I have had weird door poo poo happen as well because I like to close doors when I go into buildings that I'm relatively certain are empty, sometimes I can close/open them while standing back a bit, sometimes I have to stand directly in front of them to interact

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 29, 2018

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I died in a 1vs1vs1 situation cause, after sneaking up on a guy who was hiding inside a building, the door refused to open. When it finally popped open 2 seconds later I had already panicked and moved away so I only caught a glimpse of the guy and blew my opportunity. He ended up peeking me shortly after.

I've been getting that door bug a lot lately. It used to happen occasionally (and only early game).

Elman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 29, 2018

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Anyone else have a problem with ReShade this patch? A friend of mine is convinced that Bluehole has finally banned its use.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's been killed off for ages now

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, I uploaded two videos. These are full match analysis videos with an emphasis on positioning. I ramble a lot in broken English as I camp multiple different places and 60's Japanese funk music plays in the background. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shnXrWGVYnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY0h2slY9WY

Elentor fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 29, 2018

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

flatluigi posted:

it's been killed off for ages now

For me, it was just finally killed today. It worked fine yesterday

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

For me, it was just finally killed today. It worked fine yesterday

They've been trying to kill all of that stuff off for awhile so people can't use it to gain an advantage and do stuff like see people through walls.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Yet you can do the same thing with Nvidia Freestyle. It's always been whitelisted in the past.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Revolvers and shotguns in Graveyard circle for next event mode pls

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I’ve seen a number of clips of players killing someone only to be killed themselves by a grenade that their victim has dropped.

How exactly is that being done?

I’ve ran around a few rounds with the Serious Sam yell running and it seems the perfect trick for my inevitable death.

Is the person first being killed just really quick to switch to grenade, left click and press r? Some other trick?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Tony Phillips posted:

I’ve seen a number of clips of players killing someone only to be killed themselves by a grenade that their victim has dropped.

How exactly is that being done?

It's pretty simple, just have the pin pulled and die.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Anyone have a problem where Shadowplay doesn't save clips properly? I had some great games tonight and tried to save some clips but nothing ever appears in my Shadowplay destination folder (users/username/Videos/Playerunkown'sBattlegrounds). I looked around on the internet and found the temp folder in my AppData where it stores all the clips Shadowplay takes in game but it only has all the ones I didn't want saved. So it seems Shadowplay is taking the clips properly but when I mark them to be saved it doesn't move them to the correct folder.

For now I guess my workaround is to not save anything with the in-game UI so that I can just go into the temp folder later and save them manually, but I was hoping someone might have an idea of what might be wrong.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I had a lot of problems getting ShadowPlay to work, probably because I had swapped out a hard drive and Nvidia are making it really hard to reconfigure the target folders correctly for some reason.
I wish I had written down what I did to solve it... I remember updating the nvidia software to the latest version (drivers and shadowplay).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Apparently ninja dropped the n bomb on his stream.

Time for choco's rise to the top :getin:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Apparently ninja dropped the n bomb on his stream.

Time for choco's rise to the top :getin:

Choco swore yesterday.

Time for Hockles' rise to the top!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

AtillatheBum posted:

Anyone have a problem where Shadowplay doesn't save clips properly? I had some great games tonight and tried to save some clips but nothing ever appears in my Shadowplay destination folder (users/username/Videos/Playerunkown'sBattlegrounds). I looked around on the internet and found the temp folder in my AppData where it stores all the clips Shadowplay takes in game but it only has all the ones I didn't want saved. So it seems Shadowplay is taking the clips properly but when I mark them to be saved it doesn't move them to the correct folder.

For now I guess my workaround is to not save anything with the in-game UI so that I can just go into the temp folder later and save them manually, but I was hoping someone might have an idea of what might be wrong.

Honestly, every single time NVidia updates its thing, I have to manually uninstall then reinstall the whole thing because clips won't save at all. Reinstalling works every time, but it's stupid and bizarre because there are no error messages or anything. It says it's saved. It just isn't.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

moush posted:

Anyone else have a problem with ReShade this patch? A friend of mine is convinced that Bluehole has finally banned its use.

Had a friend last night that was unable to launch his game and was getting an error that specified reshade files. After he got rid of everything reshade related it finally allowed him to launch and play.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Well it was announced a couple of months back that ReShade would be disallowed due to cheaters, so I guess you shouldn't expect it to work?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I'm kind of ok with the ReShade thing because it really did make it easier to spot players and gave people an unfair advantage over those who don't use it.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hockles posted:

Choco swore yesterday.

I think it's funny that people lost their minds over choco saying "poo poo." he drops the GD bomb on the regular and back when he only had a few subs I remember hearing him say "gently caress" a few times too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Hockles posted:

Choco swore yesterday.

Yeah, but did you see how much that dude donated?

(I think it's only funny because he doesn't usually curse that much, so when he does it has more impact. I like it.)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I think it's funny that people lost their minds over choco saying "poo poo." he drops the GD bomb on the regular and back when he only had a few subs I remember hearing him say "gently caress" a few times too.

Its a Christian stream!!!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not that I don't really enjoy Chocotaco's personality and stream overall but come on, what sort of bizarre pedestal do you have to put someone that cursing once is even a subject. Let the dude say gently caress once in a while.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It's pretty simple, just have the pin pulled and die.

So it is a case of grenade equipped, left click and ‘r’. Was hoping there was some other circumstance where it would happen automatically.

I want to be able to run up to someone with the grenade out. But holding lmb to get the grenade ready prevents you from running. Guess the best I can do is have grenade in hand - run like idiot and then lmb+r as late as possible. Just don’t want the victim being able to run away as easily.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Elentor posted:

Not that I don't really enjoy Chocotaco's personality and stream overall but come on, what sort of bizarre pedestal do you have to put someone that cursing once is even a subject. Let the dude say gently caress once in a while.

I want him to. Some situations call for a good f-bomb.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Tony Phillips posted:

So it is a case of grenade equipped, left click and ‘r’. Was hoping there was some other circumstance where it would happen automatically.

I want to be able to run up to someone with the grenade out. But holding lmb to get the grenade ready prevents you from running. Guess the best I can do is have grenade in hand - run like idiot and then lmb+r as late as possible. Just don’t want the victim being able to run away as easily.

it happens when you shoot someone who just happened to be nading you or soneone else, it’s not really a tactic otherwise and probably too random to be a fun trolling thing buy maybe? Maybe also taking someone down with you when cornered gunless in School or some other hotspot. I always take the nade over being empty handed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

f bombing can be a lot of lost revenue. i let my kid watch streams on youtube and twitch but if i hear a gently caress that streamers' banned