Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/legaladvice
[FL] Solicited child support for baby that doesn’t exist

u/Krimony

quote:

11 years ago I got pregnant with my ex-boyfriend. We did a paternity test which proved it was his, but soon after that he decided to cut off contact and totally ghost me. I couldn’t call/text him or get in touch on social media, and he moved away. He knew I couldn’t abort because of my own views and religious parents, but I ended up miscarrying so I thought that was that even though I was very hurt by his actions.

However, a little less than a year later (shortly after I would have been giving birth), he contacted me on social media. I was very angry and never told him about the miscarriage, and he apologized a lot and offered to pay child support. He apparently landed a high-paying job when he moved away (he was already pretty well off before and this job was like x3 the amount). He was offering a thousand a month.

I was in college at the time of being pregnant and all the stress of him leaving affected me greatly (maybe even causing the miscarriage) even though I was able to work through it so I felt like I deserved the money plus I wanted to spite him. I know it was terrible of me but I lied and told him I already had the baby and used my best friend’s baby photos to fool him (she knew everything and helped with this). Contact basically stopped after the first two years, but he’s made payments every single month since then. He’s given me 122k in total.

Recently, he’s been asking about seeing the child and custody/visitation. He wants in “her” life and I don’t know how to proceed. If he finds out the truth can he sue for the money back? I worked hard since this all started and made good investments with his money so 122k won’t ruin me, but it will set me back a lot.

I’m more worried about breaking any laws. What can I get charged with if anything goes to court?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Eeeeh... I mean I've heard of people getting allergy attacks from peanuts that are across a huge cafeteria. Some people have real loving bad allergies. It's very possible her parents have exaggerated her allergy as a means of control or out of fear, but also people shouldn't be acting like it's just someone being sensitive when it's an... allergy...?

EDIT: Regardless of if the severity is exaggerated I bet this girl legitimately thinks she's going to die if someone cuts an apple in a building she's in so if her parents did lie to her that's super messed up. Either way it's not her fault.

Allergies are weird. I am SUPREME ALLERGY TO EVERYTHING MAN so I'm gonna chime in.

I read about a clinical case where someone went into anaphylaxis 150 foot from a fish market because of the fish.

And then there was a study where peanuts were held 12 inches away from severely allergic people and nothing happened.

I've had my throat get tight and scratchy being a couple of feet away from some food I was allergic to.

I think if you can smell it, it poses a risk.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice

u/Krimony

You owe him more than 122K.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Eeeeh... I mean I've heard of people getting allergy attacks from peanuts that are across a huge cafeteria. Some people have real loving bad allergies. It's very possible her parents have exaggerated her allergy as a means of control or out of fear, but also people shouldn't be acting like it's just someone being sensitive when it's an... allergy...?

EDIT: Regardless of if the severity is exaggerated I bet this girl legitimately thinks she's going to die if someone cuts an apple in a building she's in so if her parents did lie to her that's super messed up. Either way it's not her fault.

I imagine it went like this:

Doctor: your girl is allergic to apples.
Parents: can... can she die from that?
Doctor: well, you can never be sure how severe an allergic reaction can be. It can sometimes be deadly.
Parents: oh no! How far away would she have to be to get a reaction?
Doctor: well, people have sometimes had allergic reactions to the allergen just being in the same large room.
Parents: :aaaaa:

Of course this is even more likely if they asked Dr Google

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

pidan posted:

I imagine it went like this:

Doctor: your girl is allergic to apples.
Parents: can... can she die from that?
Doctor: well, you can never be sure how severe an allergic reaction can be. It can sometimes be deadly.
Parents: oh no! How far away would she have to be to get a reaction?
Doctor: well, people have sometimes had allergic reactions to the allergen just being in the same large room.
Parents: :aaaaa:

Of course this is even more likely if they asked Dr Google

I don't know how crazy that is, though. Pollen will gently caress your poo poo right up and that's airborne. She's probably just so allergic they were like "gently caress it, we don't want to allow it on any floor because someone will bring an apple down to her floor"

I had a severe allergic reaction on a high pollen count day despite not eating anything.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice

u/Krimony

I'd watch this movie

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't know how crazy that is, though. Pollen will gently caress your poo poo right up and that's airborne. She's probably just so allergic they were like "gently caress it, we don't want to allow it on any floor because someone will bring an apple down to her floor"

I had a severe allergic reaction on a high pollen count day despite not eating anything.

The doctor in my scenario is telling the truth, it's just that it'd be really really rare to be severely allergic to apples in the first place. Normally "allergic to apples" means you get an itchy mouth when you eat one. The "reaction across a room" stories are normally from very allergenic things like peanuts or latex.

And pollen is extremely thick in the air, not comparable to a few particles floating off an apple at all.

That said I guess it's not impossible that her apple allergy is that intense, but that would make it extremely hard to live in public. I know from my apple-allergic friends that apples show up in all kinds of processed foods that aren't really apple related at all.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

pidan posted:

The doctor in my scenario is telling the truth, it's just that it'd be really really rare to be severely allergic to apples in the first place. Normally "allergic to apples" means you get an itchy mouth when you eat one. The "reaction across a room" stories are normally from very allergenic things like peanuts or latex.

And pollen is extremely thick in the air, not comparable to a few particles floating off an apple at all.

That said I guess it's not impossible that her apple allergy is that intense, but that would make it extremely hard to live in public. I know from my apple-allergic friends that apples show up in all kinds of processed foods that aren't really apple related at all.

I recently developed an allergy to raw carrots. They make my mouth itchy. It's connected to a birch pollen allergy that makes my eyes all itchy.

Oddly enough, when the birch pollen is out, being outside is my saving grace. Outside has far better air circulation, and the pollen just becomes stagnant and irritating while indoors, so I end up spending a lot of time outside in spring.

Apple allergies are also usually connected to pollen allergies. I might be allergic to them too, since raw apples make my jaw hurt.

I wonder how apple allergy girl's apple allergy was discovered.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quote:

[–]NotSirEd [S] [score hidden] 3 hours ago

quote:

But realize everyone seeing your city block rattling stereo thinks your an rear end and a loser

then why is their a wait list to get into my car club? because everyone loves being thought of as an rear end and a loser?

:confused: why IS there a waitlist to get into a car audio club? :confused:

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 29, 2018

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

blugu64 posted:

I [F19] found out my boyfriend [M20] wears 3" lifts. It makes me very uncomfortable that he's so insecure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRdx1FSiGaw

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Me [24F] with my Mom [40F], she wants to cut ties because my Fiance [29M] couldn't post her bail.

quote:

I have been reading this sub for a while now, and have had many interactions with my Mom that I thought about posting here, but never have. I am today because I am at the end of my rope, I have no idea what to do. This just happened about an hour ago.

Just some background: My mom has always had some emotional problems, and narcissistic tendencies. Recently we got into a mild argument (unrelated to this story) which ended with us not speaking for the past few days.

Today, on my way home from work she called my cell and literally DEMANDED I come down to the police station to bail her out or I would never hear from her again. As I am recently engaged and hoping she will attend my wedding regardless of her resentful nature, because she's my loving Mom and I love her even though she's a total bitch.

Anyway, she tells me on the phone that she needs $500 cash right away or they transfer her to county jail. I went straight to the police station, calling my Fiance on the way to see if any of his checks were at home or in the car so I could get her out (both of us RARELY carry cash, and never that much at a time). Turns out there were no checks at the house or in the car. He could have left work to bring the cash, but it would have been too late. poo poo.

So, once at the police station, I start calling everyone I know. All of her siblings, my Grandmother, friends. I even called up my boss from a diner I worked at and offered to let them keep my tips until I earned the $500 back. Finally, her boyfriend shows up with the cash (not sure who called him. I didn't call him first because I assumed she didn't want him to know about the arrest, which is why she called me in the middle of a fight instead of him.)

After she was released she was very cold towards me. When I got home she sent me a text along the lines of, "I'm blocking your number and deleting you from social media because I asked you to get the money from [Fiance]! Not from [boyfriend]!!!" she went on to tell me that I am supportive of her, and that after all she sacrificed to raise me I should have moved heaven and Earth to get the money SPECIFICALLY FROM FIANCE. She also exclaimed that she would no longer be attending our wedding, and does not wish to see me off at the airport before Fiance and I leave for vacation tomorrow.

How should I deal with this Reddit? Please help. :(

tl;dr: Mom wants to cut contact because my fiance physically could not post her bail.

EDIT: A lot of you are asking what she got arrested for. She and her landlord were having it out over the conditions of the house she rented from him...It was a poo poo hole, to say the least. He refused to fix most things, and stuff he did fix would be rigged up and broken again within a week or so. She told him she wasn't going to pay rent anymore until he fixed X issue (not really sure..could have been a toilet or something). Anyway, he didn't fix it and she didn't pay rent. This went on for about a couple of months and then she got notice he was evicting her. Myself and her boyfriend both counseled her to just let it happen. This toilet was the worst of her problems, because I'm not a scientist or anything but I'm pretty sure there was toxic black mold in her basement and bathroom. So, before the eviction gets posted we get her stuff (and my sister's) out of the house. From what I can put together from what the cops/Boyfriend have told me, she went back to the house for something and the landlord had her arrested for theft.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

blugu64 posted:

I [F19] found out my boyfriend [M20] wears 3" lifts. It makes me very uncomfortable that he's so insecure.

Even though im an ugly insecure loner at least im not 5 foot 4.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Me [24F] with my Mom [40F], she wants to cut ties because my Fiance [29M] couldn't post her bail.

I hope your fiance leaves you if you even think of talking to her again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

I hope your fiance leaves you if you even think of talking to her again.

No poo poo drat....

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
People who blast their bass should have their cars burned in front of them and forced to ride mopeds.

Also, someone needs to start an allergy colony where people allergic to ridiculously common things can breathe free instead of living in fear.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Laurenz posted:

Maybe so. I'm 20 and almost every single girl I know care a lot about it. I understand why, they don't want to look down on their man, but some girls really are vicious about it. Most girls however, including my female friends, say they don't care AS LONG AS he is taller than them.

Nah, I'm in my 30s, but when I was your age I remember some ladies caring about that a lot for a hot minute. it was especially important for prom pictures and such (truly the most important moment of one's life). of course i didn't agree, and being my own brand of obnoxious, liked to think i was way cooler/better than those OTHER dumb girls (oh young hubris)

It falls away pretty quickly though once people start to get older and realize how someone treats you matters more than how they look in a photo with you

that or they go on The Bachelor

Saeku posted:

Peanuts have dust that gets into the air. Apples don't.

Apples spray juice when sliced/bitten which can float through the air yeah

that said i know nothing of apple allergies and if it would actually trigger them

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 29, 2018

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Beachcomber posted:

Also, someone needs to start an allergy colony where people allergic to ridiculously common things can breathe free instead of living in fear.

There is already at least one town like this. There was a Radiolab episode about it, or This American Life, one of those.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don’t know a lot about allergies but the travels through multiple floors thing sounds like some A grade bullshit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Nah, I'm in my 30s, but when I was your age I remember some ladies caring about that a lot for a hot minute. it was especially important for prom pictures and such (truly the most important moment of one's life). of course i didn't agree, and being my own brand of obnoxious, liked to think i was way cooler/better than those OTHER dumb girls (oh young hubris)

It falls away pretty quickly though once people start to get older and realize how someone treats you matters more than how they look in a photo with you

that or they go on The Bachelor

Apples spray juice when sliced/bitten which can float through the air yeah

that said i know nothing of apple allergies and if it would actually trigger them

A lot of people with apple allergies could straight up chug apple juice and be fine. It’s quite often an allergy to a protein from pollen that’s still on the skin.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
a quick googling does reveal apples can be fatal and cause anaphylaxis in some people, though rare

possible the parents are being terrified that poo poo could travel through the vents

but yeah they're not doing her any favors and eventually she'll need to learn to navigate places that at least have apples in the building.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 29, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t know a lot about allergies but the travels through multiple floors thing sounds like some A grade bullshit.

Definitely. People can be crazily sensitive though. Look up mastocytosis, it can be triggered by vibration or physical touch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

a quick googling does reveal apples can be fatal and cause anaphylaxis in some people, though rare

possible the parents are being terrified that poo poo could travel through the vents

but yeah they're not doing her any favors and eventually she'll need to learn to navigate places that at least have apples in the building.

One thing that caught my eye when reading about this is that if a person does have a serious reaction to apples they also could have the same reaction to other fruits.

Nothing I read on any of the sites even mentioned airborne Apple particles. They all talk about ingestion which leads me to believe that the airborne Apple particles of death isn’t a real thing and this girl really should see a doctor on her own and find out what the real deal is.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

I think it's just cause of how inconvenient it is for everyone and how it's impossible to confirm visually. Like if your class needs extra accommodations for a kid in a wheelchair it's just like w/e no one's going to hold it against them because it's obvious they're not just making it up.

My gf is a prof at the local uni and one of her classes involves interacting with people with learning disabilities (special education is her field), basically once a month or so throughout the semester the class would visit a facility for adults with these learning disabilities and interact with them and see what it was like, it tended to be a good experience both for the people in the facility and the students she taught. This class was schedule for lunch time in part because these visits were generally lunches, eating is a good communal activity that most people can participate in. For like an entire year she couldn't do the lunches anymore because one of her students was "deathly allergic" to literally everything, the list covered more things than I could think of weren't on it, including stuff I didn't even know people could be allergic to like apples. Afaik, the only policy to handle this was them not eating during her lunch period class and shifting the trips to other activities which wasn't a huge deal, but considering the number of allergies listed and the fact that there was a period before them in their classroom that wasn't barred from munching on apples I kinda question how realistic her allergy claims were. I guess the part I thought was particularly bullshit when she was telling me about it was that it just turned into a blanket ban on food because her list was so extensive, surely she eats something, just let the other students eat that thing too.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 29, 2018

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MarcusSA posted:

One thing that caught my eye when reading about this is that if a person does have a serious reaction to apples they also could have the same reaction to other fruits.

Nothing I read on any of the sites even mentioned airborne Apple particles. They all talk about ingestion which leads me to believe that the airborne Apple particles of death isn’t a real thing and this girl really should see a doctor on her own and find out what the real deal is.

i mean most of the poo poo out there about it seems to be your real basic food allergy stuff so it's hard to tell, but yeah she should go to a doc

i'm not saying i believe her, i'm just saying i ain't not doctor and eventually she's going to have to figure out how to reach a middleground (if she can) because finding an employer who will accommodate this will be difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drr8e0BjT8M

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If you are that alergic to everyday stuff you should just carry an epi-pen with you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

therobit posted:

If you are that allergic to everyday stuff you should just walk around in big hamster ball.

I made it better.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i'd carry an epi-pen then wander into clearly dangerous situations where people are dumb enough to leave that poo poo out for the sweet sweet lawsuit money

everyone would learn soon enough to put away their apples around me

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I mean at this point it's just a matter of time before some rear end in a top hat deliberately starts leaving apples around her dorm building.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the apple bandit

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

the apple bandit

The Apple Dumpling Gang

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Pick you're not like other humans

:(

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It sounds like the Uni is doing everything right in order to accomodate a girl with a severe allergy, they even kept her anonymous. It sounds like college kids are still in fact college kids and will talk poo poo and joke about rules like those. Get over it, yeah you'll hear this when walking down a corridor sometimes, cry me a loving river, it comes with the territory. There is no problem, she can attend college, the administration is supportive and the other kids will get the "remember when we were forbidden to eat apples and had to eat bananas instead? They were chasing that poo poo more than weed use, I once snuck an apple out of the cafeteria..." story that they can tell their friends at a dinner table.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Hopefully she catches some mist from an apple being cut open and dies before passing on her broken genes.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

RoboRodent posted:

I like the smell of wet dog.

It smells like friend :3:

Good. I'm not the only one.

Pick posted:

20!? get the gently caress out of town! how the gently caress do all these kids keep showing up here, daaamng

They are legacies.

Bored fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 29, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bored posted:

They are legacies.

It’s tru, my older brother is/was a goon so now I’m here making people feel old (22)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

People who blast their bass should have their cars burned in front of them and forced to ride mopeds.

That guy’s jackass replies are what I always imagined the internal monologue of Car Stereo Bass Bomb Man would sound like.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 29, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gotta kill your imaginary kid and throw a fake funeral

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
this has the makings of an entire good season 1 of a netflix show that then rapidly spirals into mediocrity

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What happens if she's on a bus and someone's eating an apple?
What if in one of her classes someone is eating an apple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Fake Baby Lady and Forced Impregnation Japanese Lady should get together and do a bunch of heists.