Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Aww yea, thats the good stuff

E: actually relevant content: that D6 suicide damage relic (warlord trait?) seems like it could be pretty good on an objective-based army that can get enough points to offset Slay the Warlord. With some luck you could gib all but the chuftiest of enemies.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Riveting

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Neurolimal posted:

Aww yea, thats the good stuff

E: actually relevant content: that D6 suicide damage relic (warlord trait?) seems like it could be pretty good on an objective-based army that can get enough points to offset Slay the Warlord. With some luck you could gib all but the chuftiest of enemies.

It's a relic, so any random Succubus will do.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Neurolimal posted:

Pretty sure he means to classic round studs you see on OG space marines

Yes, those. Tiny half-spheres of uniform size. Not easy to model! And I know I’ve seen people adding them to stuff. How?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Stephenls posted:

Yes, those. Tiny half-spheres of uniform size. Not easy to model! And I know I’ve seen people adding them to stuff. How?

I think the general method is to roll a long thin line of putty/greenstuff, then cut off slices and attach those to the surface

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Neurolimal posted:

Still waiting to see a gold necron army before passing that judgement :colbert:

Does aged brass count?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I have a unit of reavers for my eldar Corsair army. I’d definitely be tempted to expand to an outrider or patrol detachment if the fast stuff looks fun to play with.

Anyone else think the detachment bonuses are pretty loving good? I mean I’m glad Dark Eldar players will get a fun book but it does seem a bit of an inflation most of the from the stratagems and traits we’ve seen previously. (The infamous -1 to hit trait notwithstanding) I don’t have much faith in GW’s ability to keep things balanced. Adjusting the point cost of models and weapons regularly is a huge step forward, but it will be hard to keep things balanced with that alone if the newest books have bonuses and stratagems that give them a clear leg up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wych Cult looking top notch which is good, as they were the one faction I was most invested in seeing improve. I plan to run a full unit of 20+Succubus and spew them out of the webway, rerolling their charge. Will probably take the +strength obsession to widely increase the range of poo poo they can threaten. They have enough attacks already, lol.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Lupercalcalcal posted:

That's fair, it was a shock to me to. Motivated me to pick up some stuff while it lasts. Those box sets are an insanely good deal (which of course, might be the problem).

This really sucks if true. I just got going building Calth for 30k.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
My mind is just boggling at how incredible basic wyches are, to the point where I’m seriously wondering if I need to get some to tap into my up-til-now pure craftworld army (for tournament purposes only, I’m not a monster). Suspect it will depend on a.) whether the big FAQ deals out any nerfs to soup armies and b.) how tournament list construction rules handle Dark Eldar (most UK tourneys roll with 3 unique detachments, which cuts out many good ways of allying them in).

Running a unit of 20 and a succubus will only cost you 232 points assuming that the succubus hasn’t changed (and she’s probably gone down), take the +1 strength + mitigate morale obsession, give them adrenalight because you only have one unit and that’s 80 s4 attacks hitting on 3s re-rolling ones, and that’s heading in the direction of genestealer levels of good, given they’re only 66% of the price.

That’s so much better than any melee unit you can run in craftworlds that it’s almost comical, and to add insult to injury there’s nothing stopping you using both the DE deep strike strategem and the craftworld one in the same game, because even though they’re identical they have different names.

Potentially worth doing that plus two other cheap patrol detachments to get the warlord triumvirate and CP in, then running the rest of the army as pure craftworld.

I am really starting to worry that the DE codex is going to turn out to be a huge mistake.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

I have a unit of reavers for my eldar Corsair army. Id definitely be tempted to expand to an outrider or patrol detachment if the fast stuff looks fun to play with.

Anyone else think the detachment bonuses are pretty loving good? I mean Im glad Dark Eldar players will get a fun book but it does seem a bit of an inflation most of the from the stratagems and traits weve seen previously. (The infamous -1 to hit trait notwithstanding) I dont have much faith in GWs ability to keep things balanced. Adjusting the point cost of models and weapons regularly is a huge step forward, but it will be hard to keep things balanced with that alone if the newest books have bonuses and stratagems that give them a clear leg up.

I think they're intentionally getting really good stratagems/faction bonuses specifically because Dark Eldar are pretty limited once you remove the weirdo outlier beasties and mandrakes and Sslyth (which lack the special faction stuff). Also when you read this stuff keep in mind the Haemonculus stuff can't be taken with normal Eldar stuff (they lack the Ynnari keyword).

Also, outside specific units they still have the usual Eldar disadvantage of dying pretty fast.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The "casual" tournament using ITC rules I mentioned earlier is this Saturday. Going to bring a modified version of the iron hands list from that harlequin fight.

Basically, I lose the unit of terminators, the librarian trades in his terminator armor for a jump pack, the vendread just becomes a regular dread, and the chaplain loses his jump pack so him and an apothecary can fit in a stormraven with the cataphractii.

From what I saw when I was there yesterday, there was a lot of tank heavy Guard players and I definitely don't have enough AT for that but whatever. Also saw a badass Black Templars list with a Sicaran and some FW dreads, I saw Tsons, Emp's Children, Tau, tank heavy Imp Fists, and Dark Eldar. This definitely seems to be a vehicle heavy meta from the limited stuff I saw and heard about, I might want to consider in the future breaking out some of my Guard to add in cheap AT forces, or maybe fielding my 3 predators loaded down with lascannons and using Killshot. The Tau players either use a lot of hammerheads or a lot of big fuckoff battlesuits. So I should take stock of what I have that can deal with a ton of armor.

Other than one of the guard players all the armies I saw were fully painted, which was surprising.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 29, 2018

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
While I'm generally really stoked about the wych cults preview to the point I might get back into the hobby to give my mans a spin, I can't deny I had to roll my eyes at them finally giving wyches a dodge save against shooting - but it's a 6+ :rolleyes:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Ehh, the important part is they get the full save against overwatch.

Still weird that they are specifically super vulnerable to pistols, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's an invulnerable, which is great for basic troops. Plus it bumps to 4+ in melee, which is absurdly good.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

If nothing else 8e to me has been a bunch of games decided by unexpected clutch saves and a 6++/6+++ is surprisingly solid.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Hra Mormo posted:

While I'm generally really stoked about the wych cults preview to the point I might get back into the hobby to give my mans a spin, I can't deny I had to roll my eyes at them finally giving wyches a dodge save against shooting - but it's a 6+ :rolleyes:

Well bearing in mind Dark Eldar will all have a 6+++ save from their faction special rule, unless that's changed, so it's roughly comparable to a 5++ which I think is better than a kick in the teeth for 8pt infantry!

Neurolimal posted:

I think they're intentionally getting really good stratagems/faction bonuses specifically because Dark Eldar are pretty limited once you remove the weirdo outlier beasties and mandrakes and Sslyth (which lack the special faction stuff). Also when you read this stuff keep in mind the Haemonculus stuff can't be taken with normal Eldar stuff (they lack the Ynnari keyword).

Also, outside specific units they still have the usual Eldar disadvantage of dying pretty fast.

I do see your point, their troops are pretty light stuff compared to the heavily armoured super units and LoWs other factions can bring. I just think that sort of difference can or should be balanced on points cost; using more powerful traits & stratagems to do so presents a problem: Fine-tuning detachments to cherry pick the best special rules, and/or cramming detachments and warlords for the most CP adds another layer of min-maxing to army lists.

Basically they all seem like very cool rules, but they are coming from sources which will need a lot of customisation, choices etc. Like if I tried to write a 1k DE list once the book is out, it seems more complex than most armies. Rather than pick 1 trait, I am likely to use at least 3; I might have to pick 3 warlord traits; many units may have combat drug bonuses; Power from Pain changes every turn. Those last two in particular I would find a nightmare to remember. It all piles up and creates a small mountain of hidden special rules which don't appear on models' datasheets.

(Don't mean to crap all over a very promising release, I just think it is a cluttered way to produce interesting rules)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Who would have thunk that Dark Eldar would get one of the most interesting codex

It really surprised me too.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
When y'all are writing the saves with N and various amounts of +. What does each + symbolize? Armor Save/Invulnerable Save/Reroll?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

When y'all are writing the saves with N and various amounts of +. What does each + symbolize? Armor Save/Invulnerable Save/Reroll?

Save/Invulnernable Save/Feel No Pain equivalent respectively for each +

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Ehh, the important part is they get the full save against overwatch.

Still weird that they are specifically super vulnerable to pistols, though.

Charge phase != fight phase

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

(Don't mean to crap all over a very promising release, I just think it is a cluttered way to produce interesting rules)

It's all good, you have a point dude; "really cool customization and special rules for making your army unique but also makes the game a chore to play" was absolutely a feature of multiple past editions. If they keep this up with other armies I'l be worried, but as-is I think its a good gimmick for an already niche army.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm really trying to embrace Skitarii more in my lists rather than Kataphrons. Since Forgebane came out I went from have 10 Vanguard and 10 Rangers to 40 Vanguard and 40 rangers.

I also now have 5 Tech-Priests.

What am I doing?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Pendent posted:

Save/Invulnernable Save/Feel No Pain equivalent respectively for each +

hachi machi, FNP and equivalents stack with invuln saves? that's bananas

what a world

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

What am I doing?

Turning your back on the Legio Cybernetica, is what you're doing boy

E: the rockets whos only trajectory is directly into the back of the head is the kind of anti-heresy forward thinking the Legio is held in high esteem for.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

what a world

To be clear, you get one normal save- either your invuln or armor- and then you get your FNP style saves, which can actually stack although in practice it's pretty rare to see a situation where it can happen.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

what a world

FNPs stack with FNPs, but they're the only ones that do so.

an Iron Hands cataphractii captain warlord can be 2+/3++/6+++/6+++(+?)

One_Wing posted:

Charge phase != fight phase

well gently caress. I could've sworn dodge saves applying to overwatch was something that was called out in the index previews but I may have imagined that.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pendent posted:

To be clear, you get one normal save- either your invuln or armor- and then you get your FNP style saves, which can actually stack although in practice it's pretty rare to see a situation where it can happen.

The FAQ on this is funny because it's like "yeah, if you have two things like this then you get two goes at it" and then they've either made that not possible or every trait with it since has specified you can't use it with any other save. Would have been quicker just to say "no, use the best" and save themselves some text but :gw:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

FNPs stack with FNPs, but they're the only ones that do so.

an Iron Hands cataphractii captain warlord can be 2+/3++/6+++/6+++(+?)

well gently caress. I could've sworn dodge saves applying to overwatch was something that was called out in the index previews but I may have imagined that.

Ok so if hit and wounded with a sufficiently high ap weapon, the captain warlord would roll:

Invuln save at a 3+

If failed...

Then a FNP1 at 6+

If failed...

Then a FNP2 at 6+

Neat. 6 only is obviously not that great of a probability, but it's still 16% of the time. Not bad.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 29, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Combined with all of the stuff that lets you re-roll failed hits and wounds, this is the poo poo that made a game of 40K take half of loving forever in the previous editions. Good to see it making a comeback. :rolleyes:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Corrode posted:

The FAQ on this is funny because it's like "yeah, if you have two things like this then you get two goes at it" and then they've either made that not possible or every trait with it since has specified you can't use it with any other save. Would have been quicker just to say "no, use the best" and save themselves some text but :gw:

This is one of the cases where they should have kept USRs for a couple things and it's biting them in the rear end.

I believe index tyranids you could stack catalyst (5+++) and the vanilla 6+++ warlord trait, which I used to hilarious effect in small ~500 point games.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Ok so if hit and wounded with a sufficiently high ap weapon, the captain warlord would roll:

Invuln save at a 3+

If failed...

Then a FNP1 at 6+

If failed...

Then a FNP2 at 6+

Neat. 6 only is obviously not that great of a probability, but it's still 16% of the time. Not bad.

Almost, the FNP is taken against damage caused. So against a D1 weapon you'd do that, but if a lascannon rolls a 6 for damage you'd get your 3++, then FNP1 against all 6 damage, then FNP2 against anything you didn't save. Still not a huge chance but it gives you a pretty decent chance against being one-shot because you get several bites at the cherry.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Ilor posted:

Combined with all of the stuff that lets you re-roll failed hits and wounds, this is the poo poo that made a game of 40K take half of loving forever in the previous editions. Good to see it making a comeback. :rolleyes:

nah. The stuff that caused 40k games to take forever was looking up USRs and having one of the half dozen different arguments that templates caused.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

what a world

It's pretty great. It can actually create some surprisingly tough units like shield drones (4++/5+++ is basically 3++).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ilor posted:

It is Cool and Good you toxic fool.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm really trying to embrace Skitarii more in my lists rather than Kataphrons. Since Forgebane came out I went from have 10 Vanguard and 10 Rangers to 40 Vanguard and 40 rangers.

I also now have 5 Tech-Priests.

What am I doing?

Hopefully I haven't missed where this was asked in this thread, but what's the best way to equip skitarii? I've read that they work best in squads of 5 with either plasma or no special weapons, and that 2 sniper ranger squads are good but generally no more that. Any advice on running them?

I have 40 now unbuilt and was going to build them as 2x5 sniper rangers, 1x5 arc rifle rangers, 2x5 plasma vanguards, and 3 vanilla vanguards. If it helps, my plan isn't to really build more AdMech and run them more as a cheapish battalion with a cruisader to tack on to my DA, or as back up/objective grabbers in a knights list

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ilor posted:

Like I said, there's very few units that can actually stack them since most stuff released from like Chaos onwards makes it exclusive. It's dumb that it exists at all but it's not like there's dozens of things out there with stacking FNPs.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

nah. The stuff that caused 40k games to take forever was looking up USRs and having one of the half dozen different arguments that templates caused.
:thunk:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

*fist turn takes well over an hour because your opponent feels the absolute need to place every space marine exactly 2 inches from eachother despite the only template in your army being a dread with a flamer who's still on your side of the table*

*2 minute argument over whether said template covers 4 or 5 models because there's a micron's difference between it touching the base or not*

*Further argument over whether you're measuring the template properly, from the right part of the model, whether a dreadnought can even fire its weapon like that because RAW it cannot swivel*

*give up, have the dreadnought die, opponent still takes super long turns placing his mans exactly 2 inches from eachother.*

*Next game play a guy who takes a bunch of heldrakes and doesn't give a gently caress*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Templates were good. Verisimilitude is important for shooting fire at dudes and a random number of hits is too abstract.

gently caress all y’all