Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Perestroika posted:

Another popular example is the AI coding in early versions of Oblivion. They had this huge elaborate system set up, where each NPC had a set of characteristics and needs and would dynamically try to satisfy their needs in line with their characteristics (e.g. an upstanding citizen will always buy food to eat, whereas a criminal might just steal or even murder for it). Kinda like The Sims writ large, if you will. I'm sure one of the reasons it got so far was because it probably was very interesting and satisfying to design, implement, and then see working in motion. However, it ran into two problems: One, all the additional complexity could quickly lead to unpredictable outcomes, like entire towns killing themselves off in some sort of revenge-murder cascade triggered by a harmless theft. And two, all that complexity was largely wasted on the player, who couldn't see the workings behind it. If you see a shopkeeper get up and go grab a bite to eat in the tavern, it doesn't make much difference to you whether he did that because a complex simulation had him decide he'd gotten too hungry and calculate the inn as the cheapest place to get good food, or whether there's just a simple script along the lines of "At time Y, go to place X and perform action Z, then return". The result, as seen by the player, is essentially the same. It can be very easy to get lost in the how a certain thing can be accomplished, while forgetting about the resulting what that the player will actually interact with.

Pareto Principle is the best rule for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

aniviron posted:

I'm not sure I'd want an AI that plays as well as I do. Thing is, the core of every heroic epic ever told pits a small group of people against unwinnable odds, and they succeed or at least struggle valiantly by using their lesser resources more intelligently. That kind of story has been told over and over and over a million different ways in almost every recorded civilization because it appeals very much to the human mind. Having a lesser AI with more resources in a game emergently tells this kind of narrative, because the player does have to be better than the AI because the AI just has more resources at its disposal. There are games that can tip this the other way, but broadly speaking it's drat near impossible to make an intelligent reactive AI in video games currently, but that's okay because a lesser AI suits just as well most of the time.

As I've said before elsewhere, I think that good game AI, at least on a macro-level, should act more like a gamemaster that wants the player or players to have fun than like an adversary. If a GM needs twenty more goons with laser swords to show up or really needs that bad guy who's beating everyone up to fail his next saving throw, that can happen. The challenge is figuring out the balance between an enjoyable but still difficult game and an easy one or frustrating one, especially as different players and play-styles lead to very different AI solution needs.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Perestroika posted:

Another popular example is the AI coding in early versions of Oblivion. They had this huge elaborate system set up, where each NPC had a set of characteristics and needs and would dynamically try to satisfy their needs in line with their characteristics (e.g. an upstanding citizen will always buy food to eat, whereas a criminal might just steal or even murder for it). Kinda like The Sims writ large, if you will. I'm sure one of the reasons it got so far was because it probably was very interesting and satisfying to design, implement, and then see working in motion. However, it ran into two problems: One, all the additional complexity could quickly lead to unpredictable outcomes, like entire towns killing themselves off in some sort of revenge-murder cascade triggered by a harmless theft. And two, all that complexity was largely wasted on the player, who couldn't see the workings behind it. If you see a shopkeeper get up and go grab a bite to eat in the tavern, it doesn't make much difference to you whether he did that because a complex simulation had him decide he'd gotten too hungry and calculate the inn as the cheapest place to get good food, or whether there's just a simple script along the lines of "At time Y, go to place X and perform action Z, then return". The result, as seen by the player, is essentially the same. It can be very easy to get lost in the how a certain thing can be accomplished, while forgetting about the resulting what that the player will actually interact with.

Here's an even simpler example:

In Skyrim, NPCs will have activities that take them between places. When their path takes them near the player, they walk using the standard navigation system. When they aren't in the players immediate area, though, they travel at a significantly increased speed. And when their path doesn't even take them by the player they just outright teleport.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

isildur posted:

gently caress, i hope you all aren't too disappointed. :derp: I mean I really like my game and I think it's awesome but I think it's probably not as good as your anticipation is making it seem. Just, you know. Have realistic expectations!

Still probably going to be better then any other Battletech game in a super long time, which is a very low bar I know. I just want a good single player campaign.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Perestroika posted:

This is one of the reasons I thought Star Citizen was such a :rolleyes:

Also, :kingsley: April 24th :kingsley:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Updated System Requirements for both PC and Mac are in the OP.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Narsham posted:

As I've said before elsewhere, I think that good game AI, at least on a macro-level, should act more like a gamemaster that wants the player or players to have fun than like an adversary. If a GM needs twenty more goons with laser swords to show up or really needs that bad guy who's beating everyone up to fail his next saving throw, that can happen. The challenge is figuring out the balance between an enjoyable but still difficult game and an easy one or frustrating one, especially as different players and play-styles lead to very different AI solution needs.

Oh, absolutely, I run pen and paper style RPGs on a weekly basis, that would be super ideal; but it also sounds nearly impossible. A LOT of preparation and planning goes into good GMing as I'm sure you know, but then so too does tons and tons of improvisation. That first part is easy, the second part is so tough it's rarely even attempted fully in video games.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I have been keeping an eye on the top-seller list on Steam and for the past few weeks since BattleTech became available for pre-orders, it's been hovering around Page 5-ish or so. I am pleased to see that just a release date has moved it up to Page 2, meaning quite a few people bought it.

If you put much stock into SteamSpy 15k people have pre-ordered it, which isn't too bad, all things considered. Of course I have no idea how accurate that information is.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Q_res posted:

Updated System Requirements for both PC and Mac are in the OP.

:neckbeard: Yayy! my 6 year old laptop can play it.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
The recommended system specs are a bit :eyepop: RAM-wise, but luckily I upgraded for KcD. Gotta wait a month though. :smith:

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
If you want to whet your appetite or spread your enthusiasm for the game, a fairly big twitch streamer will be playing BT tomorrow. HBS people will probably be around to answer questions in the chat, but since I recognized a lot of goons helping in the paradox stream, I figure the more passionate nerds sharing their experience on a channel that typically nets thousands of viewers the merrier.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Tomorrow's PDX stream is also about an hour earlier than last weeks. 1600 CEST, 0900 PST, 1200 EST

https://twitter.com/BATTLETECH_Game/status/978980109704220672

I think the simgame portion should fit the PDX streamers style better than combat basics. The other streamer should be starting right as PDX's stream ends.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I am mixed between a desire to see more of the game, fear of being spoiled in terms of story, and some mild personal distaste for Cohh's style of streaming. As well as a desire to go dark for fear of filling up on appetizers before the main course arrives.

That said a sanctioned early preview stream should probably not tickle my spoiler worry too much.

I'll probably give it a shot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Personally, I'll probably watch the official stream and skip Coh because I don't watch him anyway. I'm in the same boat you are as far as not wanting to get too hyped up or too spoiled.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 28, 2018

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Well we could just always make fun of Cohh. I mean we're so much better than him without a job to play video games, major sponsorships, a large fanbase, right? kill me

All joking aside I doubt the walls of Fortress NDA are coming down yet but getting it out there this early is usually a very good sign.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sky Shadowing posted:

I am mixed between a desire to see more of the game, fear of being spoiled in terms of story, and some mild personal distaste for Cohh's style of streaming. As well as a desire to go dark for fear of filling up on appetizers before the main course arrives.

That said a sanctioned early preview stream should probably not tickle my spoiler worry too much.

Same to all this. Cohh seems nice but never much like his streams outside of the reveals and I kinda am worried about getting too hype this close to release...

but also I want it, I fuckin want it...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's only a bit over 3 weeks at this point. I'm avoiding new info because I want to jump in and have it all be new.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If they dont call the inevitable first expansion Citytech Im going to be really dissapointed.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

This appears to be a bit of a marketing push, HyperRPG is also doing a stream (not surprising given that HBS's crew has some stake in HyperRPG), and TotalBiscuit mentioned he might do something with it too.

They really should get the Yogscast involved, that video was wonderful and they really know their BattleTech.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Do we know when keys are going out?

I preordered on a non-steam site a few weeks ago, but they haven't given me a key yet. Wondering if it's normal / one of those games where keys are sent out on release day, or if I should file a ticket.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The FAQ in the latest Kickstarter update covers that.

quote:

When will I get my game key?
Game keys will be delivered to BackerKit accounts a day or so before launch. We will send another update announcing that distribution of keys into accounts has begun.

If you are a Beta Backer, note that you will need to retrieve your Launch Key from your BackerKit account - the Beta version of the game will NOT automatically update to the final version.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nullkigan is asking a pre-order key, not a Kickstarter key, though?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I assume keys go out to pre-order services around the same time, since that's basically Kickstarter is.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

All I'm interested in now is will there be a preload. It releases at noon my time but my internet is crap so it would take a while to download.

Only question left if there is is do I take a half day off work.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sky Shadowing posted:

All I'm interested in now is will there be a preload. It releases at noon my time but my internet is crap so it would take a while to download.

Only question left if there is is do I take a half day off work.
I always take a day after the release day off on the chance I have issues with the download :v:

Skippy McPants posted:

I assume keys go out to pre-order services around the same time, since that's basically Kickstarter is.
Fair enough. I've seen them work differently so :shrug:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Tweet I just saw says that it'll be Mitch and Kiva (better known to us as isildur) on the Paradox stream with fellow goon cknoor.

Kiva's Q&A was by far my favorite so show some support for a fellow goon and watch her explain all sorts of awesome things!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

Tweet I just saw says that it'll be Mitch and Kiva (better known to us as isildur) on the Paradox stream with fellow goon cknoor.

Kiva's Q&A was by far my favorite so show some support for a fellow goon and watch her explain all sorts of awesome things!

Well, in that case it sounds like I have to watch it. Since I'm old and senile, it looks like this is going to be on Twitch at like 12pm EST? https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

oh god, music is playing on the stream I guess I get to watch this~~~

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm very glad to hear they'll warn you if you forget ammo, I constantly do that in games like this.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kiva already doing work kicking them in the rear end to remind them "click the screen to show before talking about it, not after."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They hired a guy named Whiskey (A++, would hire again), who had high Guts (presumably because of all that liquid courage) and his background actually identified him as a "Marik Poor". Who happens to be a convict and a hired killer. He's an actual murder-hobo, as VolticSurge pointed out in discord. But I love that he's actually identified as "a poor", SA style.

Oh, and there was a Davion Commander/ComStar Acolyte mix that was named after one of the Three Stooges. :v:

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 29, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This looks really, really good.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Oh, and there was a Davion Commander/ComStar Acolyte mix that was named after one of the Three Stooges. :v:

Was it Shemp?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Internet Explorer posted:

This looks really, really good.

Yeah the campaign management side of things is looking pretty nice. Seems like a good amount of detail.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Cohhs stream starts soon but they said it would have some spoilers.

I just want to see character creation and then will probably bail then.

E: I bailed already. drat, that opening cutscene looked cool though! Saw a lot of things I recognized!

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 29, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

"Hey, they say this cohhcarnage person's got another stream with campaign stuff? I'll just hop over there and che-..."
"..."
"NOPE."

Seriously, streaming culture is horrible.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

McGavin posted:

Was it Shemp?

It was Curly.

As a heads up, HBS announced the non-Paradox streams today WILL have spoilers, so if you're trying to avoid that only watch the official Paradox stream. That said, the official stream was definitely worth watching this time (as opposed to last time). Kiva, great job on keeping things on track!

Also, Liao leasing tanks to people they actively identify as "pirates" and having to send mercs to repo them is a gloriously Capellan thing to do. :china:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I did warn you guys Cohh can be a little... difficult to watch.

He has soundboard that makes funny noises, plays up his reactions massively and overall tries a little too hard to be 'family friendly' and 'pure.'

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

'family friendly' and 'pure.'

Other quirks aside, I have no problem with this. The internet has more than enough toxic shitbags ready to scream slurs into a microphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Skippy McPants posted:

Other quirks aside, I have no problem with this. The internet has more than enough toxic shitbags ready to scream slurs into a microphone.

True, but it's possible to do it without being a tool about it. The best example I can think of is ChocoTaco, who doesn't swear on his stream by choice and is generally chill, but is mostly just a guy doing his thing.