Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Hint: its because he either isnt aware of or doesnt want to acknowledge the role women played in gundam's popularity

the niche female fanbase making amuro x char doujins was present enough to get it reran, the reruns got popular, they made toys, the toys got popular based on the reruns. this isnt some weird woke drag on him, this is literally the timeline tomino's laid down, and i figure if anyone would know he would.

I thought they made toys that flopped first before the models were a hit. Like, there was an initial stage of trying to sell Gundam toys the same way as any other super robot shows, and that didn't really work.

Also, not doubting that Tomino's a pretty good source, but he has his angles he likes to play up and down, same as anyone. I'm not surprised that his memories focus more on the doujin fans being what saved the series, given his stated opinion on the whole model kit angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Endorph posted:

Hint: its because he either isnt aware of or doesnt want to acknowledge the role women played in gundam's popularity

the niche female fanbase making amuro x char doujins was present enough to get it reran, the reruns got popular, they made toys, the toys got popular based on the reruns. this isnt some weird woke drag on him, this is literally the timeline tomino's laid down, and i figure if anyone would know he would.

Unless he has some history I'm not aware of, I'd guess the former. The extent of the early female fanbase is surprisingly uncommon knowledge.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a direct source for those Tomino quote? I've been told it's from an interview he did in 1998, but the twitter account that was credited with translating it is gone, and a blog that may have held a copy of the interview is also dead.

I'd love to be able to place his words with a specific magazine issue, or a specific convention, or anything more substantial than "somebody on some forum."

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
http://80sanime.tumblr.com/post/171597757957/80sanime-sol1056-smuganimebitch

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh. Seems to contrast Endorph's timeline there, since it has male fans hitting the scene after female fans, but before the end of the first run.

Fits better with the Gundam Sousei version of the story, I suppose.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
On this weeks episode of Xabungle, the crew of the Iron Gear meet the most beautiful man in the world

and immediately seal him inside a garbage can

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I thought they made toys that flopped first before the models were a hit. Like, there was an initial stage of trying to sell Gundam toys the same way as any other super robot shows, and that didn't really work.

Also, not doubting that Tomino's a pretty good source, but he has his angles he likes to play up and down, same as anyone. I'm not surprised that his memories focus more on the doujin fans being what saved the series, given his stated opinion on the whole model kit angle.
Yeah you're right, I misremembered a bit (thanks to the person who posted the quote in here, I couldn't find it myself). and fair on Tomino having his own biases, but considering that the show got canned because of lacklustre sells of the original toys/low ratings and then the model kits came after the reruns, well, there had to be something between column a and column b. and I'm sure there were some male fans discussing how well-written it was too, or who thought Char was cool, but still. Regardless of the timeline, its undeniable that female fans were a huge part of Gundam ever existing past '79.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Guy Goodbody posted:

On this weeks episode of Xabungle, the crew of the Iron Gear meet the most beautiful man in the world

and immediately seal him inside a garbage can

Personally, I am a Biel fan. Way cuter dude if you ask me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This actually ties into the Gundam discussion. Xabungle came right after Gundam, and it's about two girls who meet and fall in love with a series of beautiful men. Tomino probably was thinking of the female fans when he made it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

does that mean timp represents a bunch of dudes in their late 20s/early 30s buying model kits

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Guy Goodbody posted:

This actually ties into the Gundam discussion. Xabungle came right after Gundam, and it's about two girls who meet and fall in love with a series of beautiful men. Tomino probably was thinking of the female fans when he made it

Finally, an anime to teach female fans that revolution leaders are huge loving dorks.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Worth noting imo that all the other gundam series to be super popular (seed, wing, etc) also were the series least afraid to engage with and play to the female fanbase, and the ones that end up eating massive poo poo are the ones most heavily focused on merch

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

wasn't build fighters pretty successful

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Worth noting imo that all the other gundam series to be super popular (seed, wing, etc) also were the series least afraid to engage with and play to the female fanbase, and the ones that end up eating massive poo poo are the ones most heavily focused on merch

Turn-A has probably the best female characters in the franchise as well as the least merchandise and less possible merchandise than even stuff half it's length (I'm pretty sure there's less mechanical units or ships in 50 episodes of Turn-A than 0083 for that matter) and it ate poo poo too so I don't think that's quite a hard rule.

Edit: What are the least merchandising focused series actually? Turn-A, 0080 and Char's Counterattack I suppose, since they all had very few units to pimp and two of them really didn't focus on the fights so much as the cast and plot. Even Char's Counterattack is mostly that for it's runtime, it just finishes on a big fight and a battle that takes up significant time.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 29, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

wasn't build fighters pretty successful

Unicorn is probably a better example - IIRC, that was basically a purpose-built love-letter to older male kit-collecting nerds.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

build fighters has plenty of elements that might appeal to female and/or more casual fans but idk how it panned out

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Thank you!

Endorph posted:

Regardless of the timeline, its undeniable that female fans were a huge part of Gundam ever existing past '79.

It's not just Gundam, either! When I first started getting into super robot shows back in the day (2004 ish) one of the few shows of the type that was fully translated was Voltes V, and at the time one of the few websites I could find about it was a shrine to Prince Heinel*. Something very similar happened when Anime Classic began subbing God Mars, the most you could find about the show online concerned the sizable female fanbase it had back when it originally aired.

It's worth reiterating that while many of these shows did have female fans, the merchandise was (and is) almost solely aimed at boys. If I had to guess, I'd say this largely accounts for why they're so often overlooked; as much as the people working on the show might have appreciated them, the sponsors didn't feel any incentive to recognize or promote their involvement.

* This dude:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

does that mean timp represents a bunch of dudes in their late 20s/early 30s buying model kits

Nah, he's just Lee van Cleef.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I saw the new pacific rim earlier this week. There's a scene where The tiny Jaeger runs around hauling a giant missile thing and it instantly reminded me of that scene from xabungle.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kingtheninja posted:

So I saw the new pacific rim earlier this week. There's a scene where The tiny Jaeger runs around hauling a giant missile thing and it instantly reminded me of that scene from xabungle.

One of the biggest mistakes Pacific Rim 2 made was not having more home-made Jaegers. What was the point of establishing that was a thing in the universe in the opening monologue if all they're gonna show is Scrapper?!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I seem to recall female fans being a big deal for Voltron in the US, even to this day. Robotech attempted to market dolls to girls too but I dunno how well that worked.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Prince Sincline absolutely has a lot of fangirls.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhqfdpIkXKA

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Some people in the season thread wanted me to take my posting about Full Metal Panic here. My FMP posts in the season thread, for reference: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852028&userid=185993

Also 3 previous posts from the Fall season thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835485&userid=185993#post477591772

The interesting thing about the ending of season 1 is that it works reasonably well as an ending to the story...on the surface. Gauron is apparently dead, Sosuke opens up a bit emotionally, and Kaname awakens her Whispered powers. We have an explanation of what Whispered can do (although not how they can do it, but they're sufficiently magical that an explanation of that would just be silly technobabble anyway). The only things missing are the backstories of Sosuke before he became a guerrilla and Gauron before he met Sosuke. Sosuke apparently looks Japanese to the other characters, raising the question of how he ended up in Helmajistan, and Gauron is the sort of character you'd expect to get some sort of flashback, probably right before he dies. This would give me reason to suspect that he survived somehow even if I hadn't been spoiled on him returning in The Second Raid.

Before I recently started watching FMP in preparation for the new season, all I'd seen of it were a couple episodes of Fumoffu years ago. One of the episodes I'd seen was Fumoffu ep 1, and I'm glad to see that it's still almost as funny as I remembered it being. The Student Council President "translating" Military to Delinquent was an especially good gag. Sosuke calmly waiting for a window of opportunity instead of acting while a girl was about to be sexually assaulted was pretty hosed up, but at least Kaname called him out on that.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 30, 2018

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

Before I recently started watching FMP in preparation for the new season, all I'd seen of it were a couple episodes of Fumoffu years ago.

So you've already been spoiled on the ultimate AS Bonta-kun

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
gender-swapped Rag is unsettling

https://twitter.com/pletwobine/status/979921907842662400

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Fumoffu ep. 2 (the one where they sell lunches and then race to get Chidori's notes) was another one I'd seen before. It was OK but not as funny as the first one.

Ep. 3 was new to me. It had some good gags, but the plot made Chidori a complete rear end in a top hat. At least she apologized in the end.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Ep. 4, the one with the pretentious art teacher and the mascot costume, was another one I'd seen before. Like ep. 1, it's still funny.

Ep. 5 is meh. Sosuke promising away Chidori's services as club manager without her consent was a dick move (especially given the uncomfortable sexual overtones). A lot of the humor in this episode relies on a one-shot character with a bunch of contrived quirks, although inasmuch as he's a parody of general martial arts tropes the humor occasionally works. Then there's the twist with the koi at the end, which comes out of nowhere and is just an excuse for a horror movie parody.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finished Xabungle. What a bittersweet ending, I thought, until they revealed that like Superman can't truly die under the yellow sun, Fatman can't die as long as Elchi lives! Happy endings for everyone! Even Great got talked out of revenges and into getting herself a makeover and some dick.

How's the movie?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The movie has a super good ending with Elche.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first episode of Space Battleship Tiramisu is out. Hope y'all like butt

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

The first episode of Space Battleship Tiramisu is out. Hope y'all like butt
Is it supposed to be a full episode? Feels awfully short at 7 minutes in length.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
All the episodes are gonna be that long. It's based off a gag manga, and even at only 7 minutes the first episode was combining two issues.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

EthanSteele posted:

The movie has a super good ending with Elche.

Its also the true ending cause it recognizes Elchi is the best character in the show and just gives her the best possible ending.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Does Hisone and Masotan count as mecha or are they too close to regular jets?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jets are mecha

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Girls und Panzer is a mecha series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I guess the concept behind the "Sunrise at Midnight" episode of Turn-A Gundam was lifted from this Dunbine episode?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's also the Ascension of Light from Xabungle. People from less technologically advanced societies reacting in awe to missiles/nuclear bombs is just a thing Tomino likes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
More Full Metal Panic Fumoffu:

Ep. 6: "The Hard Sell Fetish" was quite funny, even if it wasn't in very good taste. I loved the Pokemon-style "conversation" between the two people in mascot costumes. The second part, with the "haunted" hospital, was one I'd seen before. It gets some comedic mileage from the Sosuke's non-reactions to things, but it loses points for using a plot as hoary as the Scooby Doo hoax - most of the possible jokes to be wrung out of the situation have already been made elsewhere, often with better execution.

Ep. 7 (the one with the rugby team): Another plot we've all seen a bajillion times (in American stuff at least as much as in anime), but there were some genuinely funny bits, like Mao writing a guide for Sosuke on how to swear like a drill sergeant.

Ep. 8 ("A Goddess Comes to Japan, Part 1"): Much like episodes 3 and 5, this episode's plot revolves around a pre-existing character being an rear end in a top hat. Fortunately it's Mardukas, a minor enough character that I doubt he had many fans to take exception to it. OK, Tessa's behavior was definitely part of the problem too, but she mostly wasn't being actively malicious. Not an especially funny episode, but the character interactions were generally decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

First episode of Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory is out. We get to see Sousuke and Chidori hold hands!!!!