Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

BESM is basically a universal system with a focus on anime. The best part is probably how skills can cost differently depending on what genre you're going for. But at this point, if I want to play a game about a high school tennis team, I will probably go with a more narrative system.

BESM is also not really balanced at all.

Yeah, this. BESM has some good ideas but it's very easy to break and the game makes that your problem. Sometimes it's obvious (e.g. it's possible to take the Companion Attribute to get some loyal NPC friends, then have them take Companion and so on until you're running Shadaloo, and you should probably not do that if this is a slice-of-life game about a light music club) but sometimes it's not.

If anyone's actually looking for an anime RPG, I've heard good things about OVA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Yea, there's some weird decisions there. Planescape being a separate entry (it should be under D&D surely) and then being better than UA? Synnibar being better than Shadowrun?

And BESM, yea, it was one of those dumb early-weeaboo systems that attempted to tackle "anime" as a single genre. It has a 2d6 roll-under system where having skills or powers erodes your stats, but stats are all you roll on for success. There was a Western superhero spin off - Silver Age Sentinels - and I remember a post on The Forge from a beginning player who had tried to make Spiderman and give him a bunch of powers representing what he could do with his webs, only to have him unable to do any of them because his stats were too low. Hang on, they said, can't Spidey do those things explicitly because he's good with his webs, rather than getting worse with them because he's realized how to do things with them?

(It also had one of the most ridiculous sidebars I've ever seen, almost a half-page on "why human comic book characters have stats above the ones labelled as 'maximum human potential'.")

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

Yea, there's some weird decisions there. Planescape being a separate entry (it should be under D&D surely) and then being better than UA? Synnibar being better than Shadowrun?

It's a joke

except D&D 4e over 3e is totes legit

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

counterspin posted:

Well, I mean, don't all systems have a linear mech pilot, quadratic tennis champ problem at some level?

it's the struggle of the hobby

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

potatocubed posted:

All I know about BESM is a friend of mine played in a game once where he made a mecha pilot complete with mecha, and his other half made a character based on some tennis manga (Prince of Tennis?) -- and whose serve could one-shot the giant robot.

Clearly the best way to run BESM is to have everyone break the system in some way, then run some Danganronpa style cast where everyone is some peerless prodigy in some thing but the game is a genre that doesn't necessarily match any of them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey, SAS wasn't so bad!

I mean, I shelled out for the deluxe version and then never ran it, and just ended up playing M&M instead, and...oh boy, I bet if I read it again it hasn't aged well.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah. BESM has enough problems that if you sit down and detail them all, you'd be there for awhile, but the biggest are the resolution system breaking down after any attempt at at maximizing a stat or skill, or the fact that the traits vary from "you're pretty with no game effect" to "ability to do literally anything as long as you roll well" doesn't help either. I did a lot with Tri-Stat back in the day (I demoed for Guardians of Order a few times) and had to come up with some significant house rules to make it functional.

OVA is the BESM successor that's functional out of the box, though. You just need to either ban the Transform trait or set it at a fixed level for everybody in the campaign.

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, SAS wasn't so bad!

SAS probably would have been considered groundbreaking if M&M hadn't come out right after. M&M did nearly everything better save for not having an established setting like SAS did, and superhero settings in RPGs are often pretty superfluous in my opinion unless you have a specific gimmick.

The main issue it has is that it doesn't really account for the curve on its main 2d10 resolution mechanic, so properly maximized characters can exploit that curve. Thankfully by that point they'd added "contested rolls should be handled by margin of success", so fights didn't take an eternity. However, the confusing thing about that system is that it has attributes rated 1-10 and skills rated 1-5, and the system is roll 2d10 under attribute + skill to gain success. If you can guess this makes it very hard to get anything done unless you have a trait maximized, you're right. The key thing is that any roll is supposed to have "superheroic feat" (like lifting a building, dodging a bullet, hacking NORAD) being the baseline level of difficulty, and anything easier than that is supposed to have the GM throwing around bonuses like wild, so that ordinary people with their average attribute of 4 are getting like a -8 on their roll when trying to unlock a door or make a hard turn at 60 MPH or whatever. The problem is, of course, the baseline for a "superheroic feat" is massively nebulous, and figuring out what sort of bonuses you're supposed hand out is similarly unclear. The other problem is that (in my experience) GMs forgetting or overlooking that fact and just running SAS without those bonuses. I'm not sure why Tri-Stat increased the die size of its main resolution mechanic (from 2d6 to 2d10) when dealing with higher-powered settings rather than decreasing it (and SAS actually lowered the maximum attribute cap). But I suppose it seemed logical to someone.

It's a very fine looking book for the time, though, save for the occasional use of Comic Sans.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Ettin posted:

(e.g. it's possible to take the Companion Attribute to get some loyal NPC friends, then have them take Companion and so on until you're running Shadaloo, and you should probably not do that if this is a slice-of-life game about a light music club)

I Can't Believe My Bassist Is A Third-World Dictator!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ll check out OVA then, thanks!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a joke

except D&D 4e over 3e is totes legit

I realized it was a joke when CthulhuTech won over Call of Cthulhu, although BESM winning overall should've been the key (I'm just not as familiar with it as I am CoC/Ettin's CthulhuTech review).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Break!! is under development too.

http://www.breakrpg.com/

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Valor is a fighty anime game with some 4E inspiration and is pretty fun from...the one time I played. The forum's own Professor Prof ? (May be misremembering the username) worked on it at one point, though I think he's no longer with the group doing it, IIRC.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hyphz posted:

And BESM, yea, it was one of those dumb early-weeaboo systems that attempted to tackle "anime" as a single genre. It has a 2d6 roll-under system where having skills or powers erodes your stats, but stats are all you roll on for success. There was a Western superhero spin off - Silver Age Sentinels - and I remember a post on The Forge from a beginning player who had tried to make Spiderman and give him a bunch of powers representing what he could do with his webs, only to have him unable to do any of them because his stats were too low. Hang on, they said, can't Spidey do those things explicitly because he's good with his webs, rather than getting worse with them because he's realized how to do things with them?

(It also had one of the most ridiculous sidebars I've ever seen, almost a half-page on "why human comic book characters have stats above the ones labelled as 'maximum human potential'.")

The brackets aren’t even balanced, where the hell is Teenagers from Outer Space?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

DalaranJ posted:

The brackets aren’t even balanced, where the hell is Teenagers from Outer Space?

TFOS was too powerful for it.

Sometimes I think Teenagers from Outer Space is too powerful for this world, because the most common conversation I've had about TFOS is "Man, I used to love that but I don't even know where my copy is now."

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 29, 2018

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

DalaranJ posted:

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/979165664953827328

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm glad we could finally close the book on these contentious RPG subjects, and now this forum can likewise be closed and we will all move on over to ADTRW.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's right because all the games I play are on the brackets

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Good things about BESM:

The system is so universal you can conceivably make a space god or a really cool karate-learning senpai using the same kind of stats.

Bad things about BESM:

Literally everything else.

It's fine as babby's first RPG to gently caress around in and ignite the imagination (especially if you love anime) but boy oh boy does it not have legs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ettin posted:

(e.g. it's possible to take the Companion Attribute to get some loyal NPC friends, then have them take Companion and so on until you're running Shadaloo, and you should probably not do that if this is a slice-of-life game about a light music club)

Excuse me but how the hell else are you going to model the Student Council's infinite faceless minions?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I found out the stupid new DotA cardgame is actually designed by Rich Garfield so I hope it's an insane megagrog cardgame that scares normal people and costs blizzard a huge amount of money that will infuriatingly be negated by a weekend of csgo cosmetics sales

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Then again people got super pissed by it not being HL3 lol so who knows

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Ettin posted:

Yeah, this. BESM has some good ideas but it's very easy to break and the game makes that your problem. Sometimes it's obvious (e.g. it's possible to take the Companion Attribute to get some loyal NPC friends, then have them take Companion and so on until you're running Shadaloo, and you should probably not do that if this is a slice-of-life game about a light music club) but sometimes it's not.

If anyone's actually looking for an anime RPG, I've heard good things about OVA.

Running Shadaloo might actually be balanced in a slice-of-life game about a light music club.

"How are we going to get Balrog-sempai, Vega-sempai, and Mike-kun on the school trip? Their school ID pictures got mixed-up again!"

Ahem. Breaks pretty bad if you're trying to run Street Fighter, though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Plutonis posted:

Then again people got super pissed by it not being HL3 lol so who knows

What is it like to still be a Valve fan these days? It must hurt so much.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So with Dragon Ball Super over I have been in a bit of a Dragon Ball mood, and I found out there's a Dragon Ball Super TCG that, from the reviews I've read, is actually pretty good. Does anyone have experience with it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What is it like to still be a Valve fan these days? It must hurt so much.
I'm still honestly amazed that there's still anyone out there who still cares about Half-Life 3.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So with Dragon Ball Super over I have been in a bit of a Dragon Ball mood, and I found out there's a Dragon Ball Super TCG that, from the reviews I've read, is actually pretty good. Does anyone have experience with it?

I actually sorta don't like it as a game, but it's definitely a nice object(s) and has an active playerbase. The slightly older DBZ TCG (the one published by Panini) is a lot more interesting mechanically and it has a pretty diehard playerbase that still runs fan tournaments at major cons (gencon primarily) and plays online.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

Valor is a fighty anime game with some 4E inspiration and is pretty fun from...the one time I played. The forum's own Professor Prof ? (May be misremembering the username) worked on it at one point, though I think he's no longer with the group doing it, IIRC.

Man, I'd forgotten about that one, and I have it on my shelf. I'd really like to give it a try someday.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Man, I'd forgotten about that one, and I have it on my shelf. I'd really like to give it a try someday.

I've heard good things, so it's time for someone to F&F it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

My F&F card is full for practically all time, sadly.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Idea: A warforged rogue called Thomas the DPS Engine.

(alternative: Thomas the Shank Engine)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Once tax season is over and I'm no longer working 60 hour weeks, I'll begin to do it and then fail immediately without announcing anything.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Covok posted:

Once tax season is over and I'm no longer working 60 hour weeks, I'll begin to do it and then fail immediately without announcing anything.

Setting realistic goals is important. I gotta get back to work on my F&F.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Valor had an F&F. IIRC, it's pretty good for a toolbox system?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

LogicNinja posted:

Idea: A warforged rogue called Thomas the DPS Engine.

(alternative: Thomas the Shank Engine)

Okay, this is gonna happen now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
For anyone who owns it, does the Valor PDF have bookmarks yet?

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For anyone who owns it, does the Valor PDF have bookmarks yet?

Nope, it really is my only complaint with the system. But Ive only run a couple of test combats so take that with a grain of salt.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Zurui posted:

HELL YEAH.

Also consider my thunder-power-wielding bard, THE FACE OF BASS.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Zurui posted:

Here's their theme song/Engage Combat/Engage Backstabbing music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8HO6hba9ZE

Warning: gets speaker-ruiningly/deafeningly loud after 27 seconds, please adjust volume accordingly for your own safety.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
hey everyone!

i bought some gift certs the other day with the intention of giving them away, so i made a puzzle thread in GBS to help our dear old lowtax get better. cert of choice to the first to solve a particular puzzle! #1 and #2 are already done, #3 is currently under way, and I have at least 2 more ready to go!

for some examples of the kind of puzzles we're talking about, here's the two that were already solved:

#1 solution
it's morse code. green is dash, yellow is dot, red is space
the answer turns out to be 'Goku69'

kumba posted:

okay, here's round 2, slightly harder:

#2 hints

kumba posted:

hint #1: Treating this as a word search is not likely to prove very useful.

hint #2: X isn't just a letter, it's also a shape!

#2 solution

kumba posted:

this one is quite a bit more abstract. you'll quickly find that treating it as an actual word search is useless, and i dropped a (small, obscure) hint in there that doing so is frivolous:

if you're unfamiliar with the term, see: red herring

the idea here is do as the puzzle title says and treat the word search as a map. X marks the spot! there's (at least) two different ways you can figure it out:

solution 1: draw a big rear end X through the whole puzzle and notice repeated letters on the diagonals. when you order the letters by the direction you would draw an X, it spells out BATMAN
solution 2: the letters that are actually part of the solution are themselves in an X pattern, alluded to in my solution diagram here:

if you find those, you'll have the letters B,M,A,N,T and then it's just a matter of putting them in the proper order, again by realizing you should put them in same order you would encounter if you drew an X through the 5 littler x's, which gives you the second A for the solution!

i thought some folks in here might be interested so with FAU's blessing, here's a link to the thread if you're into this kind of thing. puzzle #3 is towards the bottom of page 2, and also repeated on page 3!

thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
:siren: New blogpost is up for Let Thrones Beware

Today's topic: Appendix N for this Modern Age. Inspiration Old and New

This week, a look at some of the historical, fictional, and practical inspirations behind the development of Let Thrones Beware. Learn how poets, barbarians, and sword-fighting all contributed to this unique game.

Appendix N for this Modern Age. Inspiration Old and New