Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the nicest thing that can be said about cuomo is that he’s so spineless he will happily support whatever agenda he needs to in order to keep staying governor
This is true, with the addendum that what he'd really love is to be president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

one of the articles linked in today's City & State roundup talked about how Cuomo's extremely thin skin could be his biggest weakness in the primary. i believe it. between him and Trump, it must be an eastern Queens thing to be completely unable to ignore any slight against you, no matter how small or insignificant

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

get that OUT of my face posted:

it must be an eastern Queens thing to be completely unable to ignore any slight against you, no matter how small or insignificant

If I try to call out the wrongness of this remark, I just lean into it.

gently caress you and your catch 22

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/978367775159783424

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he should call nixon

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

City & State did a good writeup of all the things that cuomo (shockingly) probably won't include as part of the budget. i kinda wish nixon used that as an opportunity to bash the entire system of budget negotiations the de facto legislative section, instead of saying "mansplaining." still love her though

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol suraj patel is selling 'care hard' shirts which seems like an old fyad insult or something

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

GalacticAcid posted:

lol suraj patel is selling 'care hard' shirts which seems like an old fyad insult or something
This one is a little city name / sports team

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

well politics is just sports you see

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/979474307205271552?s=19

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If you're feeling down, let this profile of a highly delusional Libertarian Party candidate for governor cheer you up.

GalacticAcid posted:

I gotta say, when I read about Patel in a Politico article profiling people challenging Democratic incumbents, he struck me as insincere. Ocasio-Cortez and Bunkeddeko (Yvette Clarke's challenger) have made it a point to say why their incumbents need to be replaced, but as far as I can tell, Patel's running on the platform of "I'm young, my generation needs more young people to run, and old people like Maloney have to get out of the way." That's not gonna cut it, especially against someone like Maloney who has flaws you can pounce on, like voting against the Iran deal. I imagine that shirt is part of his greater campaign of millennial involvement, and that catchphrase reeks of "corporate focus group brainstorming session idea."

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is one of those "rules" that eventually won't be a rule but even a lot of liberal NY jews are pretty hardcore anti-Iran and pro-Israel, and it can trump other issues. There's a reason New York politicians are almost always behind on those issues even as the overton window has been opening up, especially over the last ~15 years. Will be interesting to see if Cynthia Nixon leans into that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

as i mentioned, that's not even close to the issue that's the most important to me in the governor's race, but i suppose it bears addressing

the israel issue among american jews is the one thing we aren't politically united about. a slight majority are critical of israel as a country and supported the iran deal. among the younger generation, those majorities are even greater- i'm sure some people here saw Adam Friedland talk about it on that news network. in new york, the numbers are more in favor because you've got ultra-orthodox sects in brooklyn and rockland county that drive the number up, even among groups like the Satmar who oppose it on the principle of "we shouldn't bring back israel until the messiah comes"

granted, perception doesn't help when you have jewish groups that would rather attack critics of israel instead of speaking out against increasing instances of actual anti-semitism

edit: i sincerely doubt that nixon is going to address this much, if at all

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Mar 30, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

another crook in Albany got arrested. not for political corruption, but for being a hosed-up cult leader who branded women

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

another crook in Albany got arrested. not for political corruption, but for being a hosed-up cult leader who branded women

yeah its like the 3rd nys cult bust in as many years. shits wacky noth o whiteplains guys.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah its like the 3rd nys cult bust in as many years.
what were the other two?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there was that christian group where the top couple were like beating everyone in their flock and making them live in an old public school building they bought from last year and the year before that i thought there was one upstate but my google not finding

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Imagine this amount of incompetent grifting on the national scale. Fucker better not become President.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

have you been asleep for the past year or so or what

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

majormonotone posted:

have you been asleep for the past year or so or what

I meant to add "imagine Trump, but a Democrat".

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

to be fair, Cuomo doesn't try to take away my rights every couple months

like he's terrible but saying he's as bad as Trump is dumb

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This discussion is really dumb, so it's fitting.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Actually Cuomo is exactly as bad as Trump, I can tell because I hate him exactly as much (a lot, I hate them both a lot).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

grah posted:

Actually Cuomo is exactly as bad as Trump, I can tell because I hate him exactly as much (a lot, I hate them both a lot).

for me as a leftist, my number one issue is quantifying evil.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/klnynews/status/981367711547740160

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Lol Marc molinaro running for gov. Okay.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

grah posted:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I meant to add "imagine Trump, but a Democrat".
they both have the same amount of skin towards criticism

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, I don't hate Trump as much as I hate the American nativism he is merely the latest incarnation of, but in terms of grifting, both he and Cuomo seem to have similar instincts. Anyway, I don't need to compare Cuomo to Trump to criticize his patterns of abuse of the public and its purse. Just imagine what could have been done with all that money thrown to his friends over the years. Maybe the schools could have actually been funded instead of mired in a vicious circle of punishing standardized testing?

they both have the same amount of skin towards criticism

Yeah, that, too.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

CaptainPsyko posted:

Lol Marc molinaro running for gov. Okay.

The Poughkeepsie Journal had a huge spread on him yesterday for his announcement and boy did I just about throw up in my mouth. Probably not a good idea to use that pic of him with Trump, folks!

He's come a loooooong way since he was the dorky mayor of Tivoli, and not in a good way, but he's generally been kinda the benign and useless type of Republican so you can generally forget he exists until he invades an event you're at with gladhanding bullshit. Good thing he's got about the same chance as my left asscheek of winning.

Also "rendezvous with destiny" ROFL

LegionAreI has issued a correction as of 06:44 on Apr 4, 2018

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

i think Marc Molinaro came to a college class i was taking once to give a lecture, back when i lived in the Hudson Valley

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

From that Poughkeepsie Journal article:

quote:

Molinaro, though, said he voted against Trump and instead wrote in former Rep. Chris Gibson, a Republican who didn't seek re-election in 2016.

Lol

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

From that Poughkeepsie Journal article:

Lol

suburban_upstate_ny.txt

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/sarbetter/status/981516791062069248

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

cool but also hmm it's almost like the Overton window is moving in real time

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Good... I guess. But the idc members should be forced to eat literal poo poo as penance

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
also cuomo should be forced to join in and then forever be eating poo poo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

primary every single IDC member, Nixon 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is after Cuomo used the IDC and Republican control of Senate to strip the budget out of anything coming close to progressive or even center left. He is a trash man.

e: update on the article posted earlier: https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/10-things-cut-from-the-enacted-budget-12800668.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

building workers union is maybe gonna strike friday midnight if they dont get a new contract

rich people gonna have to haul their own trash outside cause garbagemen probably wont cross a picket line and other poo poo they could simply avoid if they paid them fairly