Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Siochain posted:

Either/or.
Used canoe's seem to be cheaper and easier to find around here - people hold onto their kayaks.

Its amazing how good fishing i can do in a kayak and how much better i get at swimming and overhead press in a canoe.

Edit:
Not sure if I posted it bwfore, but Callie on her way home.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, question because this has been bugging the poo poo out of me. Why can boomers (men especially) not trust anything unless it comes from another person their age or older? I don't loving get it. You can be proven right every. Single. Time. And still not be trusted because you aren't also approaching 60.

I would've said because I'm not a greybeard but my beard is pretty loving grey.

Because a lot of young people are extremely dumb and you are condemned by association:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15iLHlJPp_0

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I appear to be going out on a date with an incredibly attractive tiny redhead who loves cars next week.

Life; good ??

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I appear to be going out on a date with an incredibly attractive tiny redhead who loves cars next week.

Life; good ??

I hope she's the right type of crazy for you.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Fermented Tinal posted:

3 weeks for it to start, can't apply until after my last April shift. Don't plan on being "unemployed" after May. Hell, I'm gonna start looking for my exit as soon as this block is over. I'd love to not need the layoff and ei at all.

Keep in mind that I work 12 hour shifts and so that's like a day and a half, gov will look at 6 shifts and say I worked two weeks. A full pay is 7 and I'm using up my vacation days in April.

Rough. Too bad it takes so long to kick in.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I bought an old 350 SBC that has been sitting about for years off Facebook for $200. I am fully expecting it to be junk as soon as I pull the heads and going to have to get it honed and put over sized pistons in. I am going to do everything apart from the machine shop work on the block myself since I have no vehicle to put it in and just wanted a SBC to play around with since the parts for them are everywhere and cheap.

Expect a thread of me flipping it off a lot and buying shares in the company that makes WD40 after going through gallons of it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Life; good ??

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

spog posted:

Because a lot of young people are extremely dumb and you are condemned by association:

Both you and I know that the un-edited version of that commercial was headed up by a boomer by a boomer-ran company desperate to sell to their millennial kids, and failing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wrong sex. Also about a foot too tall.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

Both you and I know that the un-edited version of that commercial was headed up by a boomer by a boomer-ran company desperate to sell to their millennial kids, and failing.

You may be surprised to find out advertising is outsourced to other companies frequently. Companies with young creative folks who pitch ideas like this.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 29, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Larrymer posted:

You may be surprised to find out advertising is outsourced to other companies. Companies with young creative folks who pitch ideas like this.

Agreed. An advert where millenials pick apart stereotypes and say some pseudo-complaints about stereotyping alongside advertising features on a car that only millenials might care about sounds like a millenial-developed commercial to me.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Cage posted:

Took a picture of myself for the first time in 11 years, got myself on tinder. Having a quantum of self esteem is neat!

I'm the best at tinder, every time I use it it says I'm unmatched :downsrim:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I got matched with an ad. :wink:

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

BigPaddy posted:

I bought an old 350 SBC that has been sitting about for years off Facebook for $200. I am fully expecting it to be junk as soon as I pull the heads and going to have to get it honed and put over sized pistons in. I am going to do everything apart from the machine shop work on the block myself since I have no vehicle to put it in and just wanted a SBC to play around with since the parts for them are everywhere and cheap.

Expect a thread of me flipping it off a lot and buying shares in the company that makes WD40 after going through gallons of it.

How old what kind? Got a casting number for the block and heads?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cage posted:

I got matched with an ad. :wink:

How tall are you and do you have red hair?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Mr-Spain posted:

How old what kind? Got a casting number for the block and heads?

1972 from a Monte Carlo 2 bolt main. WIll get the casting numbers when I clean the crap off

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

How tall are you and do you have red hair?

:lol:

Hold on now sir...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
First night in Canada turned out..... a lot better than I expected.

Hockey tonight :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

First night in Canada turned out..... a lot better than I expected.

Hockey tonight :D

Just don't get all hosed up on it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Just don't get all hosed up on it.

counterpoint: always get all hosed up on hockey, pussy.
Fisky.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 29, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

counterpoint: always get all hosed up for hockey

I don't know of any other sport to watch that goes so well with being belligerently drunk other than MMA

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

I don't know of any other sport to watch that goes so well with being belligerently drunk other than MMA

Lacrosse.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

counterpoint: always get all hosed up on hockey, pussy.
Fisky.

I once got a rig-friggin' gherkin-slurpin' behind a gumball machine at a bubble hockey tournament.

Boomtown.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

Hurling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdM_6Eehu2o

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I once got so hosed up on hockey I questioned my sexuality.

Why am I sharing this with you guys?

Shultzy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody is calling my references! I don't know which job but whoo-hoo! Gears are turning!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

After I got new tires I couldn't figure out why my tires were making sound, and supposedly my mechanic took a look at it while I was getting new shocks. Finally said gently caress it and jacked the car up, found the issue in about 3 seconds - the wheel weights were mounted towards the outer edge, meaning they hit the brake caliper every revolution. It would have been a lot easier if my mechanic just said, "oh, I forgot to check."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

spog posted:

Nearly lost it at Wyatt Derp and Cock Holiday.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

loving christ this rocket was gonna be so cool but department fuckups, manufacturing issues, and straight-up false promises have delayed us to the point that I'll be shocked if we get off the launch pad.

I'm sick of school, sick of working with dipshits, sick of having to back up and re-tool every couple weeks.

Hybrids aren't even loving worth it at this small a scale, just use a solid rocket.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Enourmo posted:

loving christ this rocket was gonna be so cool but department fuckups, manufacturing issues, and straight-up false promises have delayed us to the point that I'll be shocked if we get off the launch pad.

I'm sick of school, sick of working with dipshits, sick of having to back up and re-tool every couple weeks.

Hybrids aren't even loving worth it at this small a scale, just use a solid rocket.

Welcome to engineering. Get used to it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

Welcome to engineering. Get used to it.

yeah funny thing, i'm aware of that and it's causing me a major crisis of self doubt right as i'm on the cusp of graduating

at least at a job I'll be getting paid to deal with the bullshit

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Console yourself with the knowledge that you'd be working with dipshits and corporate bullshit regardless what industry you chose.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
That hedonic treadmill's gonna put you right back where you were in no-time, buddy boy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

That hedonic treadmill's gonna put you right back where you were in no-time, buddy boy.

I'm aware of the problem and I'm doing my best to ignore it and power through regardless, but god drat is it demoralizing.

E: Also, one of my senior design teammates (the one I mentioned a while back who rips on his girlfriend all the time, among other personality conflicts) has apparently had a week and a half vacation scheduled around Easter scheduled since like November, and neglected to inform any of us until about a week ago. He's also been promising since January that he'd get an enclosure built for his 3d printer, so he could print ABS and allow us to bypass the manufacturing nonsense. After having issues getting it finished up (because he's obsessed with using expanding foam instead of just cutting craft foam to shape), he came up to his scheduled vacation and went "Well, bye! Good luck!" and I'm kinda pissed about him leaving us swinging in the breeze like this.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 29, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

yeah funny thing, i'm aware of that and it's causing me a major crisis of self doubt right as i'm on the cusp of graduating

Getting paid to stand around with your thumb up your arse while u wait for some other dipshit to do his job correctly is one of the best parts of engineering

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Enourmo posted:

My fiance and I had almost this exact same conversation about her first internship a couple weeks ago

"I hate this internship. I'm tired of going back and forth between the client and the 'senior designer' for every little detail. I have no input on the project I'm working on and I just want this all to be over."
"But isn't this what your job is going to be for the next few years?"
"Yeah, but when it's my job, I'll get paid for it. And I'll eventually get to be the lead designer on the projects, and that's what I want to do."

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
How many jobs are there for rocket scientists, anyway?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ilkhan posted:

How many jobs are there for rocket scientists, anyway?

At the end of the day I'm a Mechanical Engineering major. Rockets are what I've ended up doing at school, but there's no shortage of jobs for me overall. My only hangup is not wanting to work in defense, but even on that I've gotten to the point of "if you pay me I don't give a gently caress, whatever"

E: The Formula SAE Baja competition was one of the other options, specifically redesigning some suspension bits for it. I had it as my second choice, in retrospect I'd much rather have done that. Nice well-defined project scope, with one (1) set of regulations (instead of 2, one of which is revealed gradually as you ask the school MAE department "Can we do [X]?") and a well-established background.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 29, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Getting paid to stand around with your thumb up your arse while u wait for some other dipshit to do his job correctly is one of the best parts of engineering

this is correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Anyone going to the NY Auto show?

• Locked thread