Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah the writer definitely believed he was writing some snarky cutting edge satire but his whole angle kinda depends on you picking the sociopath ending which I uh didn’t

Hah, why not? I guess the big mistake is even giving the player a choice at that point and providing some nonsensical happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its important to show just how extremely far up his own rear end FC3's writer was.

quote:

Yes! Do you know what the name of the island is?! It’s Rook Island! Which means to fraud people! Look up the definition – the definition of “rook” is, someone that steals your money, or it’s a piece in chess.

I like to consider myself a reasonably well-educated person and I've only ever seen that definition of "rook" used once and it was in Les Miserables.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s not used everyday like that now but it was used quite often in the past in that capacity. It’s where the word “crook” comes from

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Look I made up the bit about crook coming from rook because it sounded kinda plausible due to the rhyme and connection between the words. I didn’t mean to mislead you and I hope we can still be friends.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Glagha posted:

The island full of brown people needs a white boy from the outside to show up and fix all their problems.

The game is pretty explicit in showing that they’ve been deliberately playing you as a disposable outsider that they pump up with drugs and Chosen One poo poo to take a run at the pirates and privateers and you aren’t the first, just the most successful. Dennis is another dude who felt lost in his life that Citra used to take a swing at her brother.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Far Cry 4 had an okay story and characters

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

flatluigi posted:

Far Cry 4 had an okay story and characters

"okay" at being absolute assholes, you mean, and not in an entertaining way.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samuringa posted:

"okay" at being absolute assholes, you mean, and not in an entertaining way.

I liked that I hated them except for the main bad guy, and it was real fun turning what’s his name’s face into a pincushion with the crossbow after his last cutscene.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FC4 had the strongest themes, at least, and knew what it was saying. Having a sob story doesn't excuse you from being a monster, and being a revolutionary doesn't mean you're squeaky clean. Basic, basic stuff, but was entertainingly written.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lol @ expecting a meaningful story from a far cry game, they've been about over the top bombast since 3

they sure are good at marketing though!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

boar guy posted:

lol @ expecting a meaningful story from a far cry game, they've been about over the top bombast since 3

they sure are good at marketing though!

Far Cry 4 was fine, 3 was horrible and 5 ranges from toothless satire to absolutely godawful. Nobody expected something groundbreaking, but they certainly wanted something tolerable. It really shows that they pulled in the fuckin Bioshock Infinite writer for 5.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Far Cry Primal actually had the most cohesive story. Save your people, kill the other people.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The game is pretty explicit in showing that they’ve been deliberately playing you as a disposable outsider that they pump up with drugs and Chosen One poo poo to take a run at the pirates and privateers and you aren’t the first, just the most successful. Dennis is another dude who felt lost in his life that Citra used to take a swing at her brother.

Morrowind did that better and less racistly like ten years earlier

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The problem with Far Cry 3 is also its biggest strength - the mission with the flamethrower, reggae-dubstep and a giant field of weed.

You can't pretend to be a satire of ultraviolent videogame plots when your game includes a riotous celebration of videogame ultraviolence.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Blood Dragon is the best Far Cry game and I will fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

wafflemoose posted:

Blood Dragon is the best Far Cry game and I will fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:
5 taunts you with a mission and an outfit calling back to it.
The game even plays the combat music from it while in said mission.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

wafflemoose posted:

Short enough to not overstay it's welcome, Ubi ought to learn from that. CoJ: Gunslinger also followed the same model and owned.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I thought Blood Dragon was an expansion to one of them. Is it it's own game?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

I thought Blood Dragon was an expansion to one of them. Is it it's own game?

That and Call of Juarez Gunslinger were small, 15 dollar 4-6 hour games that were super, super polished and made to be replayable.

Far Cry 5’s DLC is basically 3 different Blood Dragons with a Vietnam, Zombie, and Sci Fi movie theme respectively.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i really liked the feature in fc primal where they reminded you what you were doing before you saved last time with a little story sequence as the game loaded. wish more games would do that; sometimes i have to start games completely over because i lose the plot thread

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

boar guy posted:

i really liked the feature in fc primal where they reminded you what you were doing before you saved last time with a little story sequence as the game loaded. wish more games would do that; sometimes i have to start games completely over because i lose the plot thread

The Witcher 3 had that, which was great because it was real easy to forget what you were doing in the main plot if you went on a 10 hour sidequest bender.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Rogue Galaxy was good about the story recap, too. I love that kind of feature in a game. If I can't remember I'm supposed to go across the world to recover the Crystal of rear end Biting, a reminder is always good.

[quote="Ugly In The Morning"
post="482630249"]
That and Call of Juarez Gunslinger were small, 15 dollar 4-6 hour games that were super, super polished and made to be replayable.

Far Cry 5’s DLC is basically 3 different Blood Dragons with a Vietnam, Zombie, and Sci Fi movie theme respectively.
[/quote]

CoJ: Gunslinger was loving fantastic. I loved that game to bits. Does Blood Dragon play similarly?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

CoJ: Gunslinger was loving fantastic. I loved that game to bits. Does Blood Dragon play similarly?

Definitely, just the Far Cry formula and 80s sci-fi instead of old west tales.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like that in Far Cry 5 you can shoot bald eagles.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

flatluigi posted:

Far Cry 4 was fine, 3 was horrible and 5 ranges from toothless satire to absolutely godawful. Nobody expected something groundbreaking, but they certainly wanted something tolerable. It really shows that they pulled in the fuckin Bioshock Infinite writer for 5.

Are you joking? I was going to consider renting 5 for free but... Infinite :negative:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

Are you joking? I was going to consider renting 5 for free but... Infinite :negative:

I mean I haven't heard of anything as bad as "maybe the anti-racists are JUST AS BAD!" but it's early

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thin Privilege posted:

It's just kind of bland and predictable bad, not offensively bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean I haven't heard of anything as bad as "maybe the anti-racists are JUST AS BAD!" but it's early

That was more “maybe the revolutionaries get a touch bloodthirsty also” to me, which, well, they didn’t call it the Reign of Terror for nothing.

Jehde posted:

Definitely, just the Far Cry formula and 80s sci-fi instead of old west tales.

It’s also more linear, but used the idea of an unreliable narrator telling saloon tales perfectly. Also arcade mode ruled. FC5 is about 80s movie sneaking and killing people with laser miniguns, Gunslinger is about a weirdo telling the story of the big fish he caught in the middle of several actual Wild West gunfights that happened. The only boss that takes a shitload of damage is a guy that historically was shot about twenty times.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'd be okay with fc5's story being bad if it wasn't aggressively so. Like it opens with you doing your job as a sheriff and accompanying a Marshall while he fulfills an arrest warrant for a guy who you're introduced to with a video of him gouging a guy's eyes out with his thumbs. The ultimate payoff for you dismantling a clearly dangerous organization is a nuke goes off, your friends die in a car crash, and you're chained up in a bunker while the head cult guy tells you how you're family now and you'll walk into heaven together.

For a thing I actually like, the prepper stashes are nice since they're usually accompanied with notes about how things either went tits up for the prepper or they realized leaving was a better choice than sticking around and using their supplies.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, for as much as the writer is up his own rear end (don't forget the game is full of :2bong: and Alice in Wonderland references), there was at least some kind of core idea buried under all of that. The real problem (well, aside from the over-reliance on hallucinations) is that this ~ultra clever~ subversion of the white savior trope ends up painting the natives as crazy, duplicitous assholes. Oops.

Also 3 had Vaas, the CIA guy, and to a lesser extent Buck so it has them going for it.

I guess I'm the odd one out because I thoroughly disliked 4 up until I burnt out on it. I'm honestly forgetting, does Ajay even talk? Because so much of that game involves lovely people inflicting themselves on him and Ajay gets basically zero agency or characterization that might justify going from "I'm here to deliver these ashes, oh, I guess Pagan Min is kind of a dick" to "time to get jerked around by psychopaths but at least I'll eventually get to kill Min for being such a jerk I guess". Jason from 3 is a huge goober but at least he has a clear motivation.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I enjoy the Far Cry games for all the stupid emergent moments that occur. You're just minding your own business and all of a sudden a fire fight breaks out, dudes are on fire, cars are exploding, and somebody gets mauled by a tiger, all without my intervention.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Mar 29, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally got around to continuing on Devil May Cry, just did the "Get the Melancholy Soul to the door in 3 minutes" mission. I died a bunch but I feel I'm getting better at the game, as I had an easier time on the winning try fighting the Shadow Cat enemy, although I still got bitten and blown up right at the end. Also I beat Nelo Angelo first try with no yellow orbs so that was cool. He seems easier to hit than Phantom.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

I guess I'm the odd one out because I thoroughly disliked 4 up until I burnt out on it. I'm honestly forgetting, does Ajay even talk? Because so much of that game involves lovely people inflicting themselves on him and Ajay gets basically zero agency or characterization that might justify going from "I'm here to deliver these ashes, oh, I guess Pagan Min is kind of a dick" to "time to get jerked around by psychopaths but at least I'll eventually get to kill Min for being such a jerk I guess". Jason from 3 is a huge goober but at least he has a clear motivation.

He talks in the intro and a few key cutscenes, but he's definitely quieter than Jason for most of the game.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I'm playing through the Metal Gear series for the first time (!), and it is goddamn hilarious when you save in the Tanker chapter in MGS2 and Otacon gives you a pithy quote like Mei Ling did in MGS1, but hasn't actually thought about why he's using the quote and totally fucks up his advice. Snake's reactions to it are great.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Hirsute posted:

I'm playing through the Metal Gear series for the first time (!), and it is goddamn hilarious when you save in the Tanker chapter in MGS2 and Otacon gives you a pithy quote like Mei Ling did in MGS1, but hasn't actually thought about why he's using the quote and totally fucks up his advice. Snake's reactions to it are great.

We've got another Bioenchanted here :allears:

Post more about your journey through the metal gears as it unfolds

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Hirsute posted:

I cannot wait for your play by play reaction of MGS2. The Tanker is one of my favorite video game levels of all time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Hirsute posted:

Jesus, you're going to play Metal Gear Solid 3 for the first time? You're in for one hell of an experience, mate.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

boar guy posted:

Far Cry 3 definitely had this feature except it was someone calling you every time you did anything other than the next story quest to tell you to do the next story quest (and it was awful.)

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I complained a bit about it yesterday.

But Salvaging in Xenoblade 2 nets you money ridiculously fast, letting you build up your development ranks like crazy. I really wish I understood it earlier, but the interface isn't really clear what your getting at exchanges since it kind of looks like they're asking for money for some "item" instead of the "item" just being a heap of money and not really existing. And going from just scrounging up money to buy everything from shops for deeds - to being near set for game life is great.

The issue about boosters remains, but I did find that you can sell them for garbage money - but at least I don't have to keep throwing out core crystals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Vic posted:

We've got another Bioenchanted here :allears:

Post more about your journey through the metal gears as it unfolds

Agreed :allears: