Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There was an episode where she saw a bunch of different versions of herself, but I don't think any of them match what you're describing. Which is unfortunate, since that would've been great.

She kinda looks like sailor moon in one of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Star's childhood idol is basically an insane parody of herself and Sailor Moon.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/YogurtTweet/status/978787428889587712

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Having watched Pop Team Epic, I just don't really see the hype. Like, there were a handful of bits that were actually funny/creative (Hellshake Yano comes to mind, along with the whole Hoshiiro Girldrop metagag), but most of it was just...not. I could appreciate some bits for being funny intellectually, but I don't think there was a single point in the whole show where I actually laughed out loud. I can see how it appeals to the internet at large for like, meme potential, but it's just rather unremarkable otherwise.

I kinda felt the same way about Excel Saga. I remember watching the whole thing and getting many of the references but it just felt like it was telling me "you're supposed to laugh at this!" over and over without actually being funny

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/PencayFome/status/978356931009105921?s=19

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Mar 28, 2018

Largeguy
Nov 16, 2003

Insurance Bot is here. He gonna indemnify yo ass.

Kit Walker posted:

Having watched Pop Team Epic, I just don't really see the hype. Like, there were a handful of bits that were actually funny/creative (Hellshake Yano comes to mind, along with the whole Hoshiiro Girldrop metagag), but most of it was just...not. I could appreciate some bits for being funny intellectually, but I don't think there was a single point in the whole show where I actually laughed out loud. I can see how it appeals to the internet at large for like, meme potential, but it's just rather unremarkable otherwise.

I kinda felt the same way about Excel Saga. I remember watching the whole thing and getting many of the references but it just felt like it was telling me "you're supposed to laugh at this!" over and over without actually being funny

See also: Milk-Chan

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I need the link to that rad Dark Souls III poster that shows all the Lords of Cinder and the player wearing the Forgotten Set?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Mar 28, 2018

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Largeguy posted:

Listen, Milk-Chan was hilarious when I was 19.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kit Walker posted:

Uncool, uncouth, unsophisticated, unchallenging, unpleasant

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Largeguy posted:

:milk:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Uncool, uncouth, unsophisticated, unchallenging, unpleasant

I appreciate this, and you

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/arakichi1969/status/979126898876805120

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/kuzumotiko/status/978118605035397120

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Inescapable Duck posted:

Star's childhood idol is basically an insane parody of herself and Sailor Moon.

For those who haven't seen the show, the comparison is not subtle

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dragon Ball Super/Sailor Moon

Warcraft

My Hero Academia

Space Dandy

FLCL

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rhonne posted:

Warcraft

Did you mean to say Warhammer or are Blizzard actually ripping off the Lizardmen now?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did you mean to say Warhammer or are Blizzard actually ripping off the Lizardmen now?

I mean you're not wrong about Blizzard knocking off Warhammer/40k stuff, but that looks to be a troll riding a raptor, rather than some kind of lizardman.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

In the next WoW expansion, the Horde is going to the ancient troll land of Zandalar, which is basically Aztec Dino land. The Zandalari druids even get their own unique dino forms.

The Zandalari are very cool.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
As penance for pissing off the thread with non-fanart, here's some classics

League of Extraordinary Gentleman

Ghostbusters

lol this should be obvious

Silent Hill 2

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

In the next WoW expansion, the Horde is going to the ancient troll land of Zandalar, which is basically Aztec Dino land. The Zandalari druids even get their own unique dino forms.

The Zandalari are very cool.

I knew WoW was in trouble, I didn't think they were so desperate they would try just stealing from Warhammer again. It worked the first time, I guess.

https://twitter.com/maruyo_/status/976835724988346369

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WoW is so desperate, they're doing a Family Guy episode and they've been marketing it with Leeroy Jenkins references.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
WoW's aesthetic is fun and trolls in WoW have always had dinosaurs, and the Mayincatec setting is cool and rarely explored in a positive light in Western media, so I don't see the issue.

Also, Family Guy is terrible and so is WoW's marketing, but anime is worse because it also tends to attract the worst people in the world, whether it's the "lolrandom XDDD" of Pop Team Epic or the creeps of Darling in the Franxx.

we are all maggots in the manure pile that is pop culture, writhe and burrow ever deeper

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

:yeah:

https://twitter.com/dendenhouse/status/978234351929339905

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nobody was even talking about anime, but sure, work that chip off your shoulder.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Just pointing out the irony of anime avatars saying a bad cartoon is bad when other bad cartoons are bad.

Have more bad cartoons, and Hulk fanart.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

....Okay then, I guess? Whatever, weirdo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The criticisms people were making were that WoW rips off Warhammer, and their upcoming Family Guy promotion is just pathetic. Both of which are inarguable so I guess you gotta find some other attack to defend it from

https://twitter.com/Helgesonart/status/977034157976178688

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Yeah Warhammer has had Aztec dinosaur men since the 80s

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah Warhammer has had Aztec dinosaur men since the 80s

They're not Aztec dinomen, they're Aztec trolls with dinosaur pets and dinosaur gods. But yeah, Blizzard has always gotten by by stealing concepts from other fantasy settings and doing their own spin on them. As far as the Family Guy thing goes, I see it as less desperate and more the people in charge of marketing having really bad taste, this is the same company that did a big motorcycle building competition to promote their mmo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
screaming idiot has always been that way about anime. best to disregard it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Western KOF

https://twitter.com/samuraiblackNZ/status/979128607292366848

Safe Twitter.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

that one is safe but political, don't click on it if you want this thread to be a haven from the political bullshit going on in the world (which I 100% understand)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they all make me uncomfortable in ways that are hard to describe

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Alaois posted:

they all make me uncomfortable in ways that are hard to describe

I agree. Gona guess that the anatomy is exaggerated in a way that weirds us out but I’m not sure how

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
There's a stage in an artist's development where they understand how to draw things like proportions, poses and construction but can't actually do it as well yet. The poses here are stiff, some of the characters look like they're going to fall over any second and theres some limbs of odd length here and there.

Plus, the redesigns don't come to the level of the originals. They're a strange mix of cal-arts and the odd blocky shaping of mid-2000s animated shows.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/liliuhms/status/979376775535800321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Chang without his beard distresses the gently caress outta me

• Locked thread