Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Don't bother nitpicking arguments on this.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You think he does 20k items a night?

My restaurant will nearly hit $20k on really busy nights and we have max 7 cooks in our lines. With 7 outlets he better be averaging that. With that much space I have to assume he's at a resort with hundreds of rooms too( which they make a killing on).

The problem here is that small time restaurants which "will" go under because of a wage increase are using the same arguments that massive chains use for depressing wages. I work for a Billion(ish) dollar company and we pay like dogshit, and use the same arguments that IG and Chef use. I came across a piece of paper that had our profit margins on it for various entrees when I was bussing years ago. We had to sell <10 lobster tail entrees on a Saturday, and it paid the entire labor budget for the night(front and back). In this same restaurant we deal with literally rotting, duct tape covered countertops in the server stations and rusty buzzer stations while we also pay dozens of people high 6 figures ( and multiple 7 figures) and buy millions in new property every year.

I can't find it right now but there's a study saying Wal-Mart can pay $15 and completely put it in the consumer for like $13 per year per customer or some poo poo. I'll find it in the morning. Google is littered with "Wal-Mart bonuses and wage increases due to tax cuts" right now.

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If every cook and dishwasher made $15 here it'd increase daily labor another $10k. Where do we make that?

You charge money for the services they provide.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You charge money for the services they provide.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Guys let's not fight about money.

Most of us will be dead in ten years.

Smell the flowers. Pet the dog. Breath in the air.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Since it seems germane to the topic at hand, I just finished Evicted by Matthew Desmond and I'm halfway through Nickled and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. Maybe go get some perspective on what happens to your coworkers and employees who happened into a bit of bad luck while making a 'living wage' and what the repercussions of that can be.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
The good news is that no one has to accept responsibility for underpaying cooks because they'll just be replaced by robots in the next 20-30 years.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, uber already proved that's working out great.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Total change of topic:

Any suggestions on getting that kitchen smell out of clothes? I'm inured to it at this point, but my husband said "JD, you REALLY have to wash that coat". Just from hanging up in the kitchen, my army coat I've been wearing all winter indeed reeks of fryer oil. I've already run it thru the wash twice (yay free laundry in my apartment bldg), but it still has a distinct aroma of fried food all up in it.

Fake edit: just saw your post while previewing this one, empty whippet box. Good on you! I'm legit happy for you. :)
I used to work animal control and had to wash all sorts of :gonk: things out of my uniform; grease/oil is easy. Just use really loving hot water. If you can, fill up the washer tub with the hottest water the building's system will kick out, then add a tablespoon or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so, then drain it without agitating unless you want to reenact that one scene from the Brady Bunch. If your apartment complex has really crappy hot water, then just throw your jacket in the sink/tub and boil a gallon or two of water and soak it in that.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Disargeria posted:

The good news is that no one has to accept responsibility for underpaying cooks because they'll just be replaced by robots in the next 20-30 years.

cooks at mcdonalds and chilis are hosed but silicon is still nowhere near being able to taste/smell things which should make some kitchen jobs relatively AI-proof for a while

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks for all the laundry tips, y'all! Seems spring has finally sprung here, and I want to give all my winter stuff a good wash before I pack it away (and then unpack it come autumn and having it smell like 6 month old fryer oil :gonk:).

Also, I really need to buy some shorts, because today it got up to about 80, and I not only work in a kitchen with windows, but they face east. Those pretty sunrises I enjoyed all winter are not going to be my friend for much longer. My km has already gleefully warned me that she's had more than one person on grill or fry (the two stations right next to the windows) pass out from the heat. I'd like to think I'm a tough old bird from working the butt end of an industrial dish machine spitting out 190 degree plates while wearing a polyester polo, but I'm totally taking advantage of our lax dress code. First time working a kitchen job that allows shorts, shits gonna feel weird, though.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Babe I hear ya. Rock the shorts. The kitchen gets so drat hot.

If I could I'd be doing a tank top, shorts, and sandals all day.

It's HOT!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Quabzor posted:

Don't bother nitpicking arguments on this.

My restaurant will nearly hit $20k on really busy nights and we have max 7 cooks in our lines. With 7 outlets he better be averaging that. With that much space I have to assume he's at a resort with hundreds of rooms too( which they make a killing on).

The problem here is that small time restaurants which "will" go under because of a wage increase are using the same arguments that massive chains use for depressing wages. I work for a Billion(ish) dollar company and we pay like dogshit, and use the same arguments that IG and Chef use. I came across a piece of paper that had our profit margins on it for various entrees when I was bussing years ago. We had to sell <10 lobster tail entrees on a Saturday, and it paid the entire labor budget for the night(front and back). In this same restaurant we deal with literally rotting, duct tape covered countertops in the server stations and rusty buzzer stations while we also pay dozens of people high 6 figures ( and multiple 7 figures) and buy millions in new property every year.

I can't find it right now but there's a study saying Wal-Mart can pay $15 and completely put it in the consumer for like $13 per year per customer or some poo poo. I'll find it in the morning. Google is littered with "Wal-Mart bonuses and wage increases due to tax cuts" right now.

I said 20k ITEMS. The argument is raising prices by 50 cents and item can pay the 10k a night in wages he would owe. Do you sell 20k items a night?

To be honest I'm just being combative but people should actually know what the increase will cost in order to fund the pay raise. I'm for pay raises to 15 for everyone.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 29, 2018

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Thanks for all the laundry tips, y'all! Seems spring has finally sprung here, and I want to give all my winter stuff a good wash before I pack it away (and then unpack it come autumn and having it smell like 6 month old fryer oil :gonk:).
Also, I really need to buy some shorts, because today it got up to about 80, and I not only work in a kitchen with windows, but they face east. Those pretty sunrises I enjoyed all winter are not going to be my friend for much longer. My km has already gleefully warned me that she's had more than one person on grill or fry (the two stations right next to the windows) pass out from the heat. I'd like to think I'm a tough old bird from working the butt end of an industrial dish machine spitting out 190 degree plates while wearing a polyester polo, but I'm totally taking advantage of our lax dress code. First time working a kitchen job that allows shorts, shits gonna feel weird, though.

Wearing shorts in a kitchen with a deep fryer is not advisable.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Neither is being near a deep fryer

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Coasterphreak posted:

Wearing shorts in a kitchen with a deep fryer is not advisable.

JawKnee posted:

Neither is being near a deep fryer

Heard, and heard. It's already been getting warm near that fryer, and co workers have asked why I'm still wearing jeans. It really gives me the jibblies to think about working that station in shorts and no boots, but I hear that's what's gonna be necessary... :shrug: ?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Denim is horrible to wear in a kitchen.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I was going to say, jeans hold hot liquid close to you, that’s how you get burnt WORSE

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I dont know about no jeans in the kitchen....

But this dishwasher, every single day.

Jeans.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I got 2nd degree burns on my right leg from a fuckin idiot changing a fryer near me while I was wearing shorts in the kitchen. I still wear shorts in the kitchen.

Well I bartend now but I would still wear shorts.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I was going to say, jeans hold hot liquid close to you, that’s how you get burnt WORSE

Yeah, rules for keeping skin on your legs are slip-on clogs and full length loose pants to stop splatter without being ungodly hot.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Man, I was helping an old man cook change the fryer one afternoon, and woof.

I offered to help lift the pot into the fry oil poo poo and welp it slipped and went all over him. All over him.

I just grabbed the hose immediately and sprayed his leg down.

It could have been a lot worse.

Yes, I know it's a grease trap, I just had a brain fart..

A Man and his dog fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 30, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

jesus christ dude

VV I see

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 30, 2018

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
To be clear. He didn't let me help him and he did that all on his own.

I tried to help!

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Quabzor posted:

I work for a Billion(ish) dollar company and we pay like dogshit, and use the same arguments that IG and Chef use.

I’m not arguing about anything on this issue, I was discussing work culture not rate of pay.

I currently pay everyone basically the max I can afford with current top line and bottom line revenue. Here’s how that breaks down:

Dishwashers : 13/hr, 45-55 hours a week
Prep cooks : 16/hour, 34-40 hours a week
Cooks: 16-18/hr, 45-55 hours a week

This is what people get paid. They take home good paychecks. They can afford one bedroom apartments for less than 30% income if they don’t mind living in very remote neighborhoods of queens and Brooklyn. We offer medical, dental, transit assistance, worker’s comp, vacation, all the things. We have a very nice HR lady who speaks four languages to assist you in taking advantage of these services.

I literally can’t afford more. I’m sorry. Maybe if my food was more popular or I had a cleverer marketing strategy I’d pull higher daily revenue and that could go to labor. But you hit a slow day and you’re paying out 55% when you include salaries. That doesn’t include utilities, food cost, insurance, fines, administrative fees, all the things.

I’m not making an argument. But gently caress, man, maybe if servers helped make fancy ice cubes or fold napkins into ornate swans I could pay Segundo another 50 cents an hours to clean mussels and clams. 🇺🇸

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Heard, and heard. It's already been getting warm near that fryer, and co workers have asked why I'm still wearing jeans. It really gives me the jibblies to think about working that station in shorts and no boots, but I hear that's what's gonna be necessary... :shrug: ?

I'm thinking back to an old colleague, and he used to swear by this brand of chef pants that had vented kneecaps?

I want to say it was happychef.

Fake edit: https://www.happychefuniforms.com/cookcool-mesh-smart-chef-pants.html maybe these things?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

No jeans, they're way too heavy. I prefer cheap black khakis/dress pants from goodwill. Also the longest, thickest cotton socks I can tolerate.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

infiniteguest posted:

I’m not arguing about anything on this issue, I was discussing work culture not rate of pay.

I currently pay everyone basically the max I can afford with current top line and bottom line revenue. Here’s how that breaks down:

This is what people get paid. They take home good paychecks. They can afford one bedroom apartments for less than 30% income if they don’t mind living in very remote neighborhoods of queens and Brooklyn. We offer medical, dental, transit assistance, worker’s comp, vacation, all the things. We have a very nice HR lady who speaks four languages to assist you in taking advantage of these services.

I literally can’t afford more. I’m sorry. Maybe if my food was more popular or I had a cleverer marketing strategy I’d pull higher daily revenue and that could go to labor. But you hit a slow day and you’re paying out 55% when you include salaries. That doesn’t include utilities, food cost, insurance, fines, administrative fees, all the things.

I’m not making an argument. But gently caress, man, maybe if servers helped make fancy ice cubes or fold napkins into ornate swans I could pay Segundo another 50 cents an hours to clean mussels and clams. 🇺🇸

Just pay them more; if your business fails you deserved it, and your cooks will just find better paying jobs elsewhere because you're the only person in the whole of NY underpaying.

Things have finally calmed down at work, got a nice few days of quiet and only 8-10hr shifts before Tuesday. I'm interested to see how badly the banquet staff will gently caress up passed canapes for 2000.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

I'm thinking back to an old colleague, and he used to swear by this brand of chef pants that had vented kneecaps?

I want to say it was happychef.

Fake edit: https://www.happychefuniforms.com/cookcool-mesh-smart-chef-pants.html maybe these things?

Yep, happy chef pants are great. JD, get any of these: https://www.happychefuniforms.com/womens-chef-wear.html?department=690&ref=mainnav

You stay cool, you look cool, and you won't get burned to gently caress and back. I have 9 pair that I wear around the house now that I stopped cooking. And for the record, I've seen way too many spill/splash burns on calves to wear shorts in my own home kitchen. But I'm a clumsy ox, so do your thing.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 30, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

infiniteguest posted:

It's nice that you invent a strawman to put down in all of your posts. After you completely ignore their situation to complain about the profits you're making.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just pay them more; if your business fails you deserved it, and your cooks will just find better paying jobs elsewhere because you're the only person in the whole of NY underpaying.

"It's okay to screw people over and lord over them because everyone else is doing it." God what a bunch of bougie pricks.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 30, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

If the success of your business depends on the exploitation of workers perhaps your business doesn't deserve to succeed

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm just here to serve, pizza, pasta, salads, answer phones constantly, do dishes, and make sure the whole FOH doesn't go to poo poo....

What's real hosed up is that the delivery drivers are getting $8.00 plus all the tips from their deliveries and do like half the work...

Buuttt, I did get caught drinking beer while working and they let that slide. (It wasn't that big of a deal)

Sooo, hey it's a job!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Between this thread and tgrs I’m realizing this forum really needs a :Kramer: emote.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's nice that you invent a strawman to put down in all of your posts. After you completely ignore their situation to complain about the profits you're making.

"It's okay to screw people over and lord over them because everyone else is doing it." God what a bunch of bougie pricks.

You’re using straw man and bougie wrong here, guy. I’m down if you want to have an actual conversation about the dollars of this but if you just want to be a brat on the internet you maybe, imo, aren’t being the best at using typical pretentious internet fight contrivances.

If you’re suggesting a chef is legit part of a bourgeoisie then you must be confused what Marx meant as a means of production. If anything chefs are by and large commercial consumers - their authority comes largely of an ability to purchase goods.

But again if you want to have a discussion of my anecdotal profit margins I am okay with that. I’m also not complaining about them. (That, btw, is building a straw man.) They are just real and when they become negative people lose their jobs.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

God what a bunch of bougie pricks.

I wasn't aware my $20/hr made me bougie, when do I get my top hat and monocle? I'll let the CdPs with their $17.50/hr know that they're so close to high society!

Maybe you could stop being a shithead and actually offer real solutions that aren't just "pay more, you bougie pricks."

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Making three times what your staff makes while working in a highly profitable business while saying there's no possible way to increase their pay sounds pretty bourgeois.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that's a mathematical stretch to make 20 = 3 x 11. This thread's a bit of a circular firing squad right now. Union/strike is how to get living wages i.e. KY/OK/WV teachers but I doubt kitchen labor will ever organize that much. If CDC were to up everyone's wages I think he'd find himself unemployed especially in texas.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

infiniteguest posted:

their authority comes largely of an ability to purchase goods.

No way higher wages would affect this.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No way higher wages would affect this.

make a loving point you piece of poo poo

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

make a loving point you piece of poo poo

Are living wages not good enough for you? Does that not count? Do you hate poor people that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You think he does 20k items a night?

Across 7 outlets in a facility that he says does millions in revenue a month? Uh yeah, probably. And remember that that is the theoretical maximum number that it could possibly be, given the information we have. It could very well be lower if he is not currently paying every cook and dishwasher the minimum legal wage, but since throwing out the one number he's been surprisingly coy.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

that's a mathematical stretch to make 20 = 3 x 11. This thread's a bit of a circular firing squad right now. Union/strike is how to get living wages i.e. KY/OK/WV teachers but I doubt kitchen labor will ever organize that much. If CDC were to up everyone's wages I think he'd find himself unemployed especially in texas.

Minimum wage in Texas is $7, not 11. 7x3 is close enough to 20, even if you assume a chef has the same above-pay benefits as every dishwasher, which I am certain is not the case.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 30, 2018