Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

e X posted:

:allears:

So, are you going to become a famous youtuber in a couple of month, too?

...no? i don't understand your post OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

Behold YouTube's new Million Dollar Quartet, bonded by male pattern baldness and a shared love for food, music, and pop science. Andrew "Welcome back TO Binging With Babish" Rea, Sean "For First We Feast, I'm Sean" Evans, Michael "Hey, Vsauce" Stevens, and Anthony "Nazi Fraud" Fantano.

So they are all bald food guys except for one. I still don't get it. :(

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

So they are all bald food guys except for one. I still don't get it. :(

Nah, Vsauce isn't - he does like, pop science mainly. Also a HUUUUGE channel. And Fantano does music.

They do actually collaborate a fair bit but really I just felt like a spot of shitposting :)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just going to point out that the studio mandate to make the hobbit three films affected the production so badly they didn't even have complete storyboards by the time they started filming. This is edging into Alien 3 levels of studio mismanagement.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Hobbit Trilogy is just another in a series of Worst. Movies. Ever! where the fixation is pathological.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 29, 2018

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Hobbit Trilogy is just another in a series of Worst. Movies. Ever! where the fixation is pathological.

You post nothing but screeds about why any given piece of media being discussed is worthless garbage so why are you mad that people don't like The Hobbit trilogy?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Stop responding to BravestOfTheLamps

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Stop responding to BravestOfTheLamps

he may be out of bounds 99% of the time but he's not wrong here--broken clock and all that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

For some reason it's really important to be "into" these franchises. Nobody cares if you're really into Homer or Mervyn Peake, but it's a huge deal that someone likes Tolkien.

It signals that the material is really lacking despite its appeal, which is why there's this rhetoric of more enjoyment.

The Gormenghast books on the other hand are satisfying despite being unfinished that there is no fandom or academic movement trying to decipher its "world-building".

I think it's funny you picked Gormenghast for this example

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Flying Zamboni posted:

You post nothing but screeds about why any given piece of media being discussed is worthless garbage so why are you mad that people don't like The Hobbit trilogy?

The Hobbit Trilogy is bad, but like the Star Wars Prequels, the enduring attention paid to them strikes one as stranger than the badness of the movies themselves. It seems to be a kind of device to avoid confronting that the "originals" weren't that good in the first place.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fellowship has really cool forced perspective shots and beautiful miniatures and I like seeing that kind of old-school film artistry. There's obviously better movies with those things too but it's still a quality those films have the follow-ups lack. I guess the same is true of Star Wars, I dunno, I haven't seen them in a long time.

Miniatures are cool and I like to see them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

You know what really deserves a reboot? The Golden Girls. Fight me, nerds.

You’ve said enough bad things in this thread already today. Just let Betty White rest in peace, please.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

Fellowship has really cool forced perspective shots and beautiful miniatures and I like seeing that kind of old-school film artistry. There's obviously better movies with those things too but it's still a quality those films have the follow-ups lack. I guess the same is true of Star Wars, I dunno, I haven't seen them in a long time.

Miniatures are cool and I like to see them.

If I had to sum up the Lord of the Rings movies, they're the kind of stuff where the making of documentary is more interesting than the actual product.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Waffles Inc. posted:

he may be out of bounds 99% of the time but he's not wrong here--broken clock and all that

The Hobbit sucks, sorry about sane people agreeing with that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

nine-gear crow posted:

Just let Betty White rest in peace, please.

DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

For some reason it's really important to be "into" these franchises. Nobody cares if you're really into Homer or Mervyn Peake, but it's a huge deal that someone likes Tolkien.

It signals that the material is really lacking despite its appeal, which is why there's this rhetoric of more enjoyment.

The Gormenghast books on the other hand are satisfying despite being unfinished that there is no fandom or academic movement trying to decipher its "world-building".

Yeah, it's interesting how in certain contexts professionalism is interpreted as love for a franchise. It's not that Christopher Lee takes joy in acting and brings that enthusiasm in doing his work well to even minor projects, it's that he's doing it in service of Star Wars or Lord Of The Rings.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I Before E posted:

Yeah, it's interesting how in certain contexts professionalism is interpreted as love for a franchise. It's not that Christopher Lee takes joy in acting and brings that enthusiasm in doing his work well to even minor projects, it's that he's doing it in service of Star Wars or Lord Of The Rings.

You seem to have imagined that I'm criticizing the late Christopher Lee for liking something.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Someone who claims Gormenghast is "satisfying" either has never read the books, or is a really weird fucker

Seriously, they're impressive from a linguistic standpoint and you can derive a lot of enjoyment from how strange the books are, but describing them as "satisfying" is a tall order. Maybe they satisfy BotL's craving for really weird poo poo?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, yes, these long prose works have some impressive prose, but you must be weird to derive enjoyment from how books are written.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yes, I'm criticizing the late Christopher Lee for liking something.

RGD > Internet Critic Discussion Thread 4.0: Criticizing People For Liking Something

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

i am going to crush your bones with my incredibly powerful hands, feet, elbows and knees using the well-rounded techniques of Muay Thai kickboxing

Alaois fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 29, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It's just funny to pick the books that had such a big fanbase and academic movement that there's been multiple radio and tv adaptations and a fake sequel written by someone else as the example of something with integrity and without a needy fanbase.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish Christopher Lee had been Gandalf. I mean, McKellen was perfect, but Lee wanted to be Gandalf so much. :smith:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

It's just funny to pick the books that had such a big fanbase and academic movement that there's been multiple radio and tv adaptations and a fake sequel written by someone else as the example of something with integrity and without a needy fanbase.

Adaptations and sequels are not made because of needy fanbases or academic movements. What I'm talking about is the "unsatisfying" quality of genre franchises, that inspires insatiable need for more and which is the basic impulse behind all fandom activity. The Gormenghast book, even unfinished, are so satisfying that they discourage any real fandom. Likewise there's no Homeric poetry fandom, or Brueghel the Elder fandom, or Jose Saramago fandom. This is largely based on how their success depends on form rather than on content. A large part of Tolkien's appeal is in the scope of content that can be reified and reproduced in imagination and in media - enchanting places, wondrous or terrible creatures, complex fictional histories, all of which have become hallmarks of imitators - while the appeal of Gormenghast is almost purely in the formal qualities of its prose. The former is something that's ideal for fandom, while the latter is not.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 29, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Adaptations and sequels are not made because of needy fanbases or academic movements. What I'm talking about is the "unsatisfying" quality of genre franchises, that inspires insatiable need for more and which is the basic impulse behind all fandom activity. The Gormenghast book, even unfinished, are so satisfying that they discourage any real fandom. Likewise there's no Homeric poetry fandom, or Brueghel the Elder fandom, or Jose Saramago fandom. This is largely based on how their success depends on form rather than on content. A large part of Tolkien's appeal is in the scope of content that can be reified and reproduced in imagination and in media - enchanting places, wondrous or terrible creatures, complex fictional histories, all of which have become hallmarks of imitators - while the appeal of Gormenghast is almost purely in the formal qualities of its prose. The former is something that's ideal for fandom, while the latter is not.

good luck enjoying that form as i put you in a d'arce choke, i'll leave you needy for air as you tap out. your life is in herb dean's hands, boy

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

good luck enjoying that form as i put you in a d'arce choke, i'll leave you needy for air as you tap out. your life is in herb dean's hands, boy

Sounds hot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the inherent eroticism of mma only strengthens its appeal

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Alaois posted:

the inherent eroticism of mma only strengthens its appeal

If anybody is still looking for a tirle for the new thread....

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

This is a problem with the 'pseudo-objective' approach in much modern media analysis. It takes what are ultimately subjective complaints (I didn't personally like this scene for reasons that are complex and relate to my personal relationship with the books and previous film adaptations, a relationship that's ultimately very common to internet nerds who watch films) and attempts to justify them in the form of overly simplistic truth-isms that actually only deflect from the core reasons why people didn't like the film.

"Usually you want to do X. These scenes didn't do X. This is bad writing."

Like oh wow, you've found the formula, professor, it's a real shame Peter Jackson and the hundreds of people who worked on it didn't think to ask you for the One Weird Trick To Make Film Good. Oh, wait, you actually just wrote a bunk rule that renders hundreds of critically acclaimed films bad and fundamentally undermines the loving concept of art. Almost 110 minutes of 2001 a space odyssey, of the best films ever, are bad now.

If only there was an alternative approach, where you think more about why people think things, instead of less.

I mean, I was trying to do a really basic summary of the way things usually work for someone who didn't seem to have much background in critical analysis period, so I didn't feel like dropping a goddamn book on narrative theory was an optimal approach to be understood, but sure, I guess saying "usually following the basic formula in a formulaic genre is good" is too reductive. Do you think that breaking that rule is not the reason that Lindsay was reciting all these crammed-in scenes? What do you think was actually meant, if you disagree? What do you think I have missed in my quoted post that would be relevant to this particular discussion, as opposed to a general discussion of narrative?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Libluini posted:

Someone who claims Gormenghast is "satisfying" either has never read the books, or is a really weird fucker

Seriously, they're impressive from a linguistic standpoint and you can derive a lot of enjoyment from how strange the books are, but describing them as "satisfying" is a tall order. Maybe they satisfy BotL's craving for really weird poo poo?

I've read the books, and I found the first two very satisfying. It's a shame about the third one.

I can't deny the charge of being a weird fucker, though.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

gently caress all this books poo poo, get a load of who's back in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO1fGxtbrhI

New Bores for 2018, what a time to be alive

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

I've read the books, and I found the first two very satisfying. It's a shame about the third one.

I can't deny the charge of being a weird fucker, though.

I forced myself through the first book and then got stuck halfway through the second one. I'm still planning on finishing them sometimes.

Kim Justice posted:

Ah, the Irate Gamer. I've tried watching him once, and decided to go back trying to read Gormenghast and Night Land. Yes, he is that boring

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Aeneid is Homer fanfic

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Libluini posted:

Seriously. I liked Titus Groan but to act like anything past that book is undeniably good is a weird hill to die on. Titus Alone was meandering and dull in a way that makes it a bore to get through.

also steerpike did nothing wrong

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I don't care how many ghosts he catches I can't accept him back after seeing how far he's waded into the deep end in #Pizzagate conspiracies and the like.

And then when I went to look that up to make sure I wasn't remembering things wrong I found this moment of his hadn't even ever seen before:

https://twitter.com/remberhappyday/status/979486216323203075

Irate Gamer please stay gone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kim Justice posted:

This is all that and a bag of chips!

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and Star Wars and I could give less than two squirts of piss if someone makes more poo poo for them. Like, if tomorrow they shoved all the copyright paperwork into a freezer and went "No more adaptations for you!" I would not be the least bit upset. I don't even like original Star Wars that much, and wasn't excited or expectant about the prequels or the new Disney stuff. I just don't care. I would rather have something new, every time.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I don't care how many ghosts he catches I can't accept him back after seeing how far he's waded into the deep end in #Pizzagate conspiracies and the like.

And then when I went to look that up to make sure I wasn't remembering things wrong I found this moment of his hadn't even ever seen before:

https://twitter.com/remberhappyday/status/979486216323203075

Irate Gamer please stay gone.

Ooooooooooohhh.

Hmm. Yeah, that's pretty poo poo. I mean, what kind of bad taste must you have to think that IG's videos were better than JewWario's?

(Seriously gently caress Chris for that. There's really nothing here but morbid curiosity at his frankly unwelcome return - like jeez, as far as early YT AVGN-style folk go I'd rather have UrinatingTree or Armake21 or Bogart or He11sing (R.I.P) or literally anyone else back. Also, he makes Blockbuster Buster look like Pauline Kael.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

No, I did not photoshop this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kim Justice posted:

Ooooooooooohhh.

Hmm. Yeah, that's pretty poo poo. I mean, what kind of bad taste must you have to think that IG's videos were better than JewWario's?

(Seriously gently caress Chris for that. There's really nothing here but morbid curiosity at his frankly unwelcome return - like jeez, as far as early YT AVGN-style folk go I'd rather have UrinatingTree or Armake21 or Bogart or He11sing (R.I.P) or literally anyone else back. Also, he makes Blockbuster Buster look like Pauline Kael.)

He's a complete turd, but he's fascinating to me. He actually has been doing a puppet show called Puppet Steve, where he reviews poo poo like Five Nights at Freddy's toys. I haven't watched one of those videos in a long while but last I saw, he had quite a lot of subscribers. I'm a little surprised he's coming back to video games.

• Locked thread