Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: For all we know, Vin Diesel could’ve memorized all the tables from D&D 2-5 but just doesn’t talk about it aside from mentioning it in some interviews and that one geek and sundry session. Some of those football players are HUGE weebs and could probably argue with you all day about DBZ and Master Roshi’s turtle’s power level.
Has anyone mentioned how deep Serena Williams is into Avatar, yet?

https://twitter.com/serenawilliams/status/975934803974475776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

dwarf74 posted:

Didn't she do some guest voice acting in Korra?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kurieg posted:

Didn't she do some guest voice acting in Korra?
Yup! It's a small guest spot as a sage lady in one of the best episodes of the series, where we learned all about the first Avatar, Wan.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

MadScientistWorking posted:

I get the general impression that their major issue is that they are far more fragmented than you imagine which does explain why they ping pong so utterly bizarrely. It's why I kind of stopped giving kudos to the company on the whole because they aren't the ones doing a lot of the heavy lifting in some instances.

I'm not really saying the whole company is lock-step (in fact, I've repeatedly referred to Paizo as a "many-headed hydra"), but it doesn't have to be; it just requires enough people at the top with that sort of mindset to excuse or ignore things.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I feel like a lot of the "jocks are popular, nerds are loser" basis behind these don't even apply anymore. Game of Thrones, not too long ago, was one of the most watched shows on Netflix, pretty much everyone plays videogames, there has never been a better time to be a geek than this one.

I don't think we'll ever reach a point in my lifetime where teenagers stop being shunned for this or that; the target may shift, but there's always going to be people who end up growing up with a certain social naivete. Even if that was somehow magically true, most people running game companies grew up 20-30 years ago. Granted, "Geek Social Fallacies" may be a misnomer as time goes on, but I think it applies well enough to those who have been ostracized or otherwise denied a proper social education in their youth. Granted, they can probably afflict anyone, but it's easiest if you're lacking social experience.

remusclaw posted:

Never let reality get in the way of a perfectly good persecution complex.

This too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

I mean, the guys from the New Day do let's plays in their spare time and once did their ring entrance in Saiyan battle armor.

In Black Panther, Michael B Jordan had his Killmonger outfit modeled on Vegeta's armor. Yes, this does mean he was cosplaying for a large portion of a major superhero blockbuster film.

dwarf74 posted:

Yup! It's a small guest spot as a sage lady in one of the best episodes of the series, where we learned all about the first Avatar, Wan.

She had a VA cameo in season 3 of the original show too.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
According to my buddy that works there a bunch of the WWE performers already play a lot of D&D. They're talking about doing a web series.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LongDarkNight posted:

According to my buddy that works there a bunch of the WWE performers already play a lot of D&D. They're talking about doing a web series.

I'd watch that, especially if Cena was one of the players

e: Not sure if I'd want the wrestlers playing to have characters that were basically just their wrestling personas transplanted in-game or not, though

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

In Black Panther, Michael B Jordan had his Killmonger outfit modeled on Vegeta's armor. Yes, this does mean he was cosplaying for a large portion of a major superhero blockbuster film.

And John Boyega has one of my favorite lines in Attack the Block. "Go home, lock your doors, watch Naruto."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

And John Boyega has one of my favorite lines in Attack the Block. "Go home, lock your doors, watch Naruto."
My younger kid has been watching Naruto.

That weird kid with the bad haircut and the creepy doll eyes freaks me out.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

My younger kid has been watching Naruto.

That weird kid with the bad haircut and the creepy doll eyes freaks me out.

that's like half the cast

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Brother Entropy posted:

The one with the perfectly round, expressionless unmoving eyes who is staring at everything like they are meat and who has an awful 80's haircut. That dude.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

Yeah, I was thinking 'is that the one with the lightning, the one with the sand, the one with the Rock Lee...'

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I was thinking 'is that the one with the lightning, the one with the sand, the one with the Rock Lee...'
Excellent point. I hope my clarification helps. His eyes are round. Like rounder than normal anime eyes. And they seem to have no expressions, like they have been painted on.

We watched DBZ Kai together, but he took Naruto on, himself, because Netflix recommended it. He is completely loving it, too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

dwarf74 posted:

Excellent point. I hope my clarification helps. His eyes are round. Like rounder than normal anime eyes. And they seem to have no expressions, like they have been painted on.

Does he feel very strongly about hard work?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Is it a bowl cut?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nuns with Guns posted:

Here's MBJ on some talk show holding up a card on which he's written his biggest weakness

Dude's a straight-up weeb (and a superb actor).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

admanb posted:

Probably because, no matter how much people tout the "combat puzzle" aspects of modern D&D, most people don't actually want to solve elaborate puzzles every time they take a turn in an RPG.

Do what Mansions of Madness does and force your players to play Mastermind when they try to solve a puzzle. Give them a set number of moves before you move the action forward. Yes, you might be doing the 'same puzzle' every single time, but it can't be any worse than the Fighter 'hitting it with his sword' every turn in combat.

LongDarkNight posted:

Is World Wide Wrestling just too close to home for them?

That having been said, my favorite character archetype to unleash on a GM is the pro-wrestler, ideally 'Macho Man the [x]th' with the backstory being that the title of Macho Man has actually be passed from person to person since ancient times (although called 'Macho Man', the title has no restrictions on gender - men and women alike can become the Macho Man). The ritual to pass the title changes according to the player's wishes, but the last time I did it the former holder passed on the title to my character once he saw them cut a promo, moonsault off of a building, explode a man they landed on, and get up without suffering any injuries.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Didn't TSR try a card driven system back in the early 90s with the Dragonlance setting? I seem to recall it was pretty much hated and a commercial flop.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

LongDarkNight posted:

Sounds plausible, Ember Moon is pretty open about it for one thing.

EDIT: Also, just remembered that Shayna Baszler, before she came to NXT (where they're probably more nervous about trademark issues), proudly wore the Mark of Khorne into her matches. There's an interview where she's endearingly trying to explain WH40K to a bemused MMA journalist out there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

This guy?

That would be Neji Hyuga, most of his family has them as they're descended from the ninjas that live on the moon.

I unironically love Naruto but the plot can get kind of crazy sometimes (not Bleach levels of crazy, but it was trying towards the end of it's run)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

This guy?

That would be Neji Hyuga, most of his family has them as they're descended from the ninjas that live on the moon.

He said the eyes were super round, so I think he means Rock Lee.

quote:

I unironically love Naruto but the plot can get kind of crazy sometimes (not Bleach levels of crazy, but it was trying towards the end of it's run)

Seconded and seconded.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Naruto is a good story from the beginning up to the end of the first written exam. That pretty much encapsulates all the good stuff, ninja way/honor, sacrifice, a good and hopeful kid, etc. without all the later DBZ power up BS that just keeps going on and on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Naruto is a good story from the beginning up to the end of the first written exam. That pretty much encapsulates all the good stuff, ninja way/honor, sacrifice, a good and hopeful kid, etc. without all the later DBZ power up BS that just keeps going on and on.

TBF they at least have Naruto work for all his Powerups up until Sage of Six Paths mode (and that's a temporary thing he doesn't keep). They devote a large amount of time to him figuring out how to use the Rasengan, then how to use it in a way that won't kill anyone who wasn't a Jinchuriki.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

TBF they at least have Naruto work for all his Powerups up until Sage of Six Paths mode (and that's a temporary thing he doesn't keep). They devote a large amount of time to him figuring out how to use the Rasengan, then how to use it in a way that won't kill anyone who wasn't a Jinchuriki.

Honestly I think the series hangs together pretty well in hindsight.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also, you either have to accept that Naruto named his only son Boruto, or Nart named his only son Bort.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

dwarf74 posted:

https://twitter.com/serenawilliams/status/975934803974475776

Ah, I can field this one: Legend of Korra sucked.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, you either have to accept that Naruto named his only son Boruto, or Nart named his only son Bort.

Apparently Boruto is the literal pronuciation of the japanese word for "Bolt" Because his uncle was named "Screw". So that's all on his Wife.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

Apparently Boruto is the literal pronuciation of the japanese word for "Bolt" Because his uncle was named "Screw". So that's all on his Wife.

what I'm saying is that an accurate translation would then be is the story of Narts and Bolts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

what I'm saying is that an accurate translation would then be is the story of Narts and Bolts.

Well, I mean, he did turn into a harem of sexy naked men distracting god long enough to land a punch on her. He probably wouldn't be above the appelation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nalt

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rhandhali posted:

Didn't TSR try a card driven system back in the early 90s with the Dragonlance setting? I seem to recall it was pretty much hated and a commercial flop.

Well, there are myriad reasons for that as well, like giving the creators the boot, massively rewriting the setting and premise, and trying to sell a new RPG system when CCGs were eating everybody's lunch. Strangely, though, it was probably one of the better 90s experiments with cards compared to games like Everway or Changeling: the Dreaming.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's not really a high bar you're setting for it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd watch that, especially if Cena was one of the players

e: Not sure if I'd want the wrestlers playing to have characters that were basically just their wrestling personas transplanted in-game or not, though

The trick is to have them play each others' personas

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I wonder if there were any sort of nostalgia reasons for releasing Dragonlance SAGA in a Wood-grain style box with pamphlet sized if not styled books or if it's just a coincidence.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

That's not really a high bar you're setting for it

"Not as bad as you'd expect" is a surprisingly high bar for 1990s game systems, I think.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

remusclaw posted:

I wonder if there were any sort of nostalgia reasons for releasing Dragonlance SAGA in a Wood-grain style box with pamphlet sized if not styled books or if it's just a coincidence.

I actually liked SAGA, but that box got crushed so fast it wasn't even funny.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, there are myriad reasons for that as well, like giving the creators the boot, massively rewriting the setting and premise, and trying to sell a new RPG system when CCGs were eating everybody's lunch. Strangely, though, it was probably one of the better 90s experiments with cards compared to games like Everway or Changeling: the Dreaming.

The Marvel RPG at the time was... odd.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

Is it a bowl cut?
Yes, big eyebrows too.

Kurieg posted:

This guy?
No but the fact that he can see messes with me. He should be blind by all the rules of animation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That’s Rock Lee. He’s harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Yes, big eyebrows too.

Mors Rattus posted:

That’s Rock Lee. He’s harmless.
To a certain extent, he did learn how to fight from the guy who kicked someone so hard he can never walk again.

quote:

No but the fact that he can see messes with me. He should be blind by all the rules of animation.
He's actually got the best eyesight of anyone in the series when he "activates" his eyes.