Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Oakland is real, home of Too Short, Shock G, MC Hammer, and sometimes maybe the Raiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Speaking of Shuri... have another fun cross-post from Negrotown:

Koalas March posted:

hey lets have some black twitter and black panther:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Koalas March posted:

Speaking of Shuri... have another fun cross-post from Negrotown:

This is why I get up in the morning. :swoon:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Oakland sounds like a made up name and I will die on this hill :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think they don't say the location at the end? But it's the same building from the beginning which is identified as Oakland.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

I think they don't say the location at the end? But it's the same building from the beginning which is identified as Oakland.

T’Challa explicitly says “This is where our father killed our uncle”. Also, the milk crate basketball hoop is still there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Oakland is real, home of Too Short, Shock G, MC Hammer, and sometimes maybe the Raiders.

Also the original home of Ryan Coogler, the director of Black Panther.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

T’Challa explicitly says “This is where our father killed our uncle”. Also, the milk crate basketball hoop is still there.

Right, I mean they specifically identify it as the same location from the beginning but I don't think there's an Oakland subtitle again.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Also Black Panther director Ryan Codger.

EDIT: whoops beaten.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oakland is a really dirty, rundown place and if anywhere could use the help of Wakanda it's there. We rode the train through just a few weeks back and it looks like a bomb went off.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Rhyno: Hood Expert

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rhyno posted:

Oakland is a really dirty, rundown place and if anywhere could use the help of Wakanda it's there. We rode the train through just a few weeks back and it looks like a bomb went off.

:thunk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

:thunk:

Rhyno posted:

It's worse on the ground.

Don't believe anyone who claims it's getting better. The Detroit downtown is a good place to get your rear end murdered.

Rhyno posted:

I mean i clearly exaggerate but i have friends who got robbed at the NAIAS right outside the convention center in broad daylight.

I'd rathet walk through the south side of Chicago with John McCain's sandwich board than go through downtown Detroit.
:thunk::thunk:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

rethink this

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Downtown is so loving dangerous.

Again, I'd John Mayer can ride his bike around the city for hours in the night, I think y'all will be ok lmao

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I used to live fifteen minutes from Oakland up until about a week ago. "A bomb went off" may be overstating it a bit, but the city is, in fact, super poor and crime-ridden; a teacher that I knew for ten years was being harassed by a gang because she lived next to their dealer (mostly just putting salt in her gas tank, nothing outright violent before she just left).

That said, the one time I got mugged was in SF and not Oakland. So you never know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Rhyno: Hood Expert

Rhyno grew up in Gary Indiana so yeah, pretty much.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Exactly, I mean people smoke bug repellant where Rhyno's from so poo poo's rough all over.

I've lived in Detroit for like a decade and never had a problem but I've technically been jumped and robbed back in Farmington Hills (2nd safest city: in the 2nd richest county in America circa 199X)

Obviously Oakland could still use Wakandan outreach.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I used to live fifteen minutes from Oakland up until about a week ago. "A bomb went off" may be overstating it a bit, but the city is, in fact, super poor and crime-ridden; a teacher that I knew for ten years was being harassed by a gang because she lived next to their dealer (mostly just putting salt in her gas tank, nothing outright violent before she just left).

That said, the one time I got mugged was in SF and not Oakland. So you never know.

Well yeah you don't mug someone you see regularly that's just dangerous.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Exactly, I mean people smoke bug repellant where Rhyno's from so poo poo's rough all over.

I've lived in Detroit for like a decade and never had a problem but I've technically been jumped and robbed back in Farmington Hills (2nd safest city: in the 2nd richest county in America circa 199X)

Obviously Oakland could still use Wakandan outreach.

The worst years of my life were when I lived in Farmington Hills as a kid, so I believe it.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Parts of East Oakland: not great.
Oakland as a whole: fine

e: or at least "like a bomb went off" is hyperbole

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I was a poor kid in Orange County, a stupidly rich and bourgie normiescape, and it's the only place I've ever been repeatedly hosed with and felt unsafe in, and it was always by rich, bored sadists or drunk tough guys. So who can say.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

poly and open-minded posted:

Parts of East Oakland: not great.
Oakland as a whole: fine

e: or at least "like a bomb went off" is hyperbole

Maybe it was a good bomb. Like a bath bomb. Cleaned the place right up.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Is Bubb Rubb still there?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Koalas March posted:

The worst years of my life were when I lived in Farmington Hills as a kid, so I believe it.

Seriously though, in the early 90s they were taking the concept of "1st world problems" flipping it on it's head. We couldn't fart without 4 squad cars rolling up on us. It was stifling as gently caress and I couldn't wait to get out, but I try not to bitch about it too much considering the alternatives.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I was a poor kid in Orange County, a stupidly rich and bourgie normiescape, and it's the only place I've ever been repeatedly hosed with and felt unsafe in, and it was always by rich, bored sadists or drunk tough guys. So who can say.

Yeah this. Except a lot of what I got was from the other white trash kids who had like an extra chip on their shoulder/something to prove maybe.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 29, 2018

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Marvel made a big announcement about the FF coming back in comics soon, does that suggest something on the movie front may be nearing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kaesarsosei posted:

Marvel made a big announcement about the FF coming back in comics soon, does that suggest something on the movie front may be nearing?

The Fox deal won't be finalized for what, another year?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

kaesarsosei posted:

i wouldnt bet on it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I don't think we are getting an F4 movie anytime soon. A guest appearance on someone's else title, like Strange did in Ragnarok or introduced like Black Widow in IM2, probably.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

I don't think we are getting an F4 movie anytime soon. A guest appearance on someone's else title, like Strange did in Ragnarok or introduced like Black Widow in IM2, probably.

It's likely not happening until after Avengers 4. The deal isn't even in stone yet.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I meant even after everything is dealt and settled. The F4 well is beyond poisoned.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Samuringa posted:

I meant even after everything is dealt and settled. The F4 well is beyond poisoned.

Nah, it'll totally happen, just not until 2021 at the absolute earliest, and more likely 2022 or even later.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Samuringa posted:

Then do a Future Foundation movie where the villain, Mole Man, gets chumped in the second act, and the real villain, the Maker is revealed, along with a fully evil (mind-controlled by nanomachines?) Fantastic Four from the 1960s. You could gender and race flip the protaganist FF, with a black Mrs. Fantastic (never understood why he wasn't called Dr. Fantastic) and Invisible Man, a Muslim Thing, and just keep MBJ as the Human Torch. (BTW, what do they call him in the UK?)

In the end they defeat Maker and save the original Sue Storm, Ben Grimm, and maybe Johnny has to sacrifice himself or something, for that badass supernova moment.

IDK, just spitballing here. Not gonna post my pitch for an X-Men reboot.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Samuringa posted:

The moment they show up in the MCU people will go crazy.

Spiderman had just come off a string of stinker movies also, and people were pumped up for homecoming and his spot in civil war. People want a good FF movie. People want a good representation of Dr Doom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I believe that Fiege has seen the receptions to the F4 films thus far and has the state of mind to right the ship. When we get the F4 it's going to be the Fantastic Four.

I'm also still fan cast pushing that Matt Smith is our Reed Richards.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Barry Convex posted:

Nah, it'll totally happen, just not until 2021 at the absolute earliest, and more likely 2022 or even later.

badjohny posted:

Spiderman had just come off a string of stinker movies also, and people were pumped up for homecoming and his spot in civil war. People want a good FF movie. People want a good representation of Dr Doom.

You're both agreeing with me :confused:

2022 is not anytime soon and Spider-man had to appear in Civil War before getting his own movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ive seen a lot of people speculating that the Infinity War post credits scene is Silver Surfer abd or Galactus. I would think it would be either captain marvel or guardians 3 related so those people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

badjohny posted:

Spider-Man is like way way more popular than the Fantastic Four have ever been, even accounting for a streak of bad movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

I believe that Fiege has seen the receptions to the F4 films thus far and has the state of mind to right the ship. When we get the F4 it's going to be the Fantastic Four.

I'm also still fan cast pushing that Matt Smith is our Reed Richards.

This would be fine, but I would personally prefer an older Reed and Sue and maybe bring in the kids so you could jump into Future Foundation stuff for the sequel.

FF is another property where I don’t want to see another origin, just have them be relatively established already and give us the backstory in the intro, ala Norton Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im kinda torn on what to do with ff cuz on one hand i dont really want to see another origin that ends of being terrible, but on the other ff interacts with like every segment of the marvel u and itd be kinda weird to just have them exist like theyve been around all along with no reason given as to why they havent been around for every major event thats occurred so far

• Locked thread