Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is there a way to get non-poo poo terminal for wsl ubuntu?

in windows you are pretty much doomed to always have awful terminals

I also, on my current work laptop, have this weird ssl issue which means I can't update anything not approved by MS / built into wsl from the getgo. I also cannot (re)install openssl as it throws the same error.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
remember when windows 10 was announced and one of the big selling points was ctrl+c/ctrl+v right in the console

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

in windows you are pretty much doomed to always have awful terminals

I also, on my current work laptop, have this weird ssl issue which means I can't update anything not approved by MS / built into wsl from the getgo. I also cannot (re)install openssl as it throws the same error.

:psyduck:

i had to apt-get update before anything worked because on apt-get install foo it wouldnt actually fetch the package lists correctly

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

anthonypants posted:

remember when windows 10 was announced and one of the big selling points was ctrl+c/ctrl+v right in the console

paste on right click was a mistake

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

this still doesn’t work btw

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i had to apt-get update before anything worked because on apt-get install foo it wouldnt actually fetch the package lists correctly

this is the case on ubuntu/debian in general afaik, there is no update implied by install, and install just runs off of your local info on the state of the package universe

for terminal app options: get an x server (vcxsrv is good and easy, only issue is that it interacts a bit weirdly with multiple desktops) and install whatever you prefer from the package system. i find the new terminal in windows largely passable though, check the options to see if you can't twist it into working for you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is the case on ubuntu/debian in general afaik, there is no update implied by install, and install just runs off of your local info on the state of the package universe

for terminal app options: get an x server (vcxsrv is good and easy, only issue is that it interacts a bit weirdly with multiple desktops) and install whatever you prefer from the package system. i find the new terminal in windows largely passable though, check the options to see if you can't twist it into working for you

i haven’t used ubuntu or debian in years but iirc install would always check repos for changes first.

anyways, what’s this new terminal you two about?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i haven’t used ubuntu or debian in years but iirc install would always check repos for changes first.

anyways, what’s this new terminal you two about?

possibly the normal install just has an update in some crontab or such, needing the update is consistent with my memory of apt at least

going a bit far saying "new", but the regular cmd.exe terminal has gotten a lot of attention; fully resizeable, proper reflow on resizing*, proper linebreaking selection support*, properly propagates modifiers* (ctrl+c working consistently etc.), more functional support for ansi escape sequences, and probably a few others i forget

the important thing is that you likely have to turn on the * ones (at least i had to, but that may be due to upgrading, as they break past behavior). it is still by no means good, but it is now passable enough that i don't bother using an ubunutu packaged terminal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

possibly the normal install just has an update in some crontab or such, needing the update is consistent with my memory of apt at least

going a bit far saying "new", but the regular cmd.exe terminal has gotten a lot of attention; fully resizeable, proper reflow on resizing*, proper linebreaking selection support*, properly propagates modifiers* (ctrl+c working consistently etc.), more functional support for ansi escape sequences, and probably a few others i forget

the important thing is that you likely have to turn on the * ones (at least i had to, but that may be due to upgrading, as they break past behavior). it is still by no means good, but it is now passable enough that i don't bother using an ubunutu packaged terminal
alright, ill poke around

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

paste on right click was a mistake

It's one thing when it happens in cmd.exe but another disaster entirely when your finger slips and you accidentally paste a router configuration script or whatever to the wrong putty ssh window

at least mobaxterm has a confirmation popup if you really want to paste multiple lines of text into a terminal session

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Windows nt: let's literally build a terminal emulator GUI into our os kernel

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

use powershell, its poo poo for a lot of other reasons but at least it does copy/paste right

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

Windows nt: let's literally build a terminal emulator GUI into our os kernel

also font rendering and a web server and im sure some other poo poo i can't remember

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So yeah, MS is divorcing ux from engineering.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

So yeah, MS is divorcing ux from engineering.

my understanding was that microsoft's biggest ux problems were more from executive meddling and mid-level product folks trying to make their name than friction with engineering

e: full explanation here, laughing that they're merging the surface group with office

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Then hopefully this is a neutral move

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

another cool thing is that when you run apt-get update it will probably fail to connect to some ipv6 hosts (if your network supports ipv6), but that's an old ubuntu thing, and not a windows or a wsl thing

also microsoft hosed up their spectre/meltdown patches so bad, they gave everyone the ability to read arbitrary memory on windows 7 and server 2008r2. it wasn't fixed until today but lol if you're gonna install a 0-day microsoft patch

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
loling @ "the company's biggest reorganization in three years" and "Nadella is reshaping Microsoft to fit a world where the PC is no longer the center of computing.", as if that wasn't the publicly stated goal of the last major reorg.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

centralized design orgs are super risky when you have as many products as they do, sadly I won't get any inside info because I don't know any designers who work there anymore

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

my understanding was that microsoft's biggest ux problems were more from executive meddling and mid-level product folks trying to make their name than friction with engineering

ha sounds just like where i work and we got a handful of ms folks that of course started doing the same thing before they devolved into a meandering mass of ill assigned employees

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fame Douglas posted:

loling @ "the company's biggest reorganization in three years" and "Nadella is reshaping Microsoft to fit a world where the PC is no longer the center of computing.", as if that wasn't the publicly stated goal of the last major reorg.

what’s the manager to worker ratio at ms?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

420:69

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

new mega widescreen monitor

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

seems reasonable

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qirex posted:

centralized design orgs are super risky when you have as many products as they do, sadly I won't get any inside info because I don't know any designers who work there anymore

Centralized? Microsoft? I suspect you have misunderstood something.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Microsoft owns linkedin so I'm posting this here. Do y'all ever read politicschat on linkedin, it is grade a hilarious

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I try to visit linkedin as little as possible, somehow they managed to build a social network that is far more objectionable than even facebook

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

weird LinkedIn

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

OldAlias posted:

weird LinkedIn

Start my own political podcast around drake bi memes and big data dick jokes.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

r u ready to WALK posted:

I try to visit linkedin as little as possible, somehow they managed to build a social network that is far more objectionable than even facebook

i visit linkedin only a) when someone i know wants to add me to their network. b) when i'm unemployed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

i visit linkedin only a) when someone i know wants to add me to their network. b) when i'm unemployed

this or when i need to add someone to my network

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this or when i need to add someone to my network
does anyone ever really "need" to add someone to their linkedin network

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

yeah, i take part in hiring people into my team so now it comes in handy for word-of-mouth advertising. linkedin has insane penetration of latvian job market

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Careful Drums posted:

Microsoft owns linkedin so I'm posting this here. Do y'all ever read politicschat on linkedin, it is grade a hilarious
everytime i run into one of their community blog posts, it reads like an echo chamber, marketing writing for marketing read by marketing and shared across marketing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

yes

for comedy purposes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sometimes im at work and think about microsoft products and then need a chuckle so I go and look back at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol tat looks and sounds just like the Lori I work with