Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

wheres the dang book butcher

help me escape this hellworld if only for the 2-3 hours ittl take me, a content locust, to binge through your book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Ramadu posted:

help me escape this hellworld if only for the 2-3 hours ittl take me, a content locust, to binge through your book

2-3 hours for a major hardback novel? Seriously?
Do you even retain any of it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blasphemeral posted:

While 2-3 hours sounds a bit quick, these aren't necessarily filled with challenging prose. Nor would I consider an average sized novel "major" in terms of length.

I'd say 5 hours or so is a decent amount of time to get through the average Butcher novel.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Ramadu posted:

:ssh: Most speed-reading techniques actually harm comprehension and retention of the material.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Blasphemeral posted:

yeah i do. lets be honest theres a ton of these novels that you can skip through quickly since he basically rehashes the same stuff a lot especially as descriptors. this stuff is basically airport level fiction in terms of complexity. its not hard to read quick!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Aerdan posted:

:ssh: Most speed-reading techniques actually harm comprehension and retention of the material.

I can't turn it off. As such, my retension for books is.. extremely bad - I'm one of those people that can read a butcher book in 3-4 hours as well. On the plus side, I can reread many books that aren't incredibly memorable years later and it's like a new book all over again!

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Every time Butcher describes a woman you can basically skip half a page ahead and just assume she’s hot.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BabyFur Denny posted:

Every time Butcher describes a woman you can basically skip half a page ahead and just assume she’s hot.

He was influenced by Piers Anthony.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waltzing Along posted:

He was influenced by Piers Anthony.

I don't remember any five year olds giving impassioned defenses of pedophiles in Butcher's work tbh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zore posted:

I don't remember any five year olds giving impassioned defenses of pedophiles in Butcher's work tbh.

:stare:

I'm glad I have no idea what you are talking about.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
E: oops wrong piers

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waltzing Along posted:

:stare:

I'm glad I have no idea what you are talking about.

https://litreactor.com/columns/themes-of-pedophilia-in-the-works-of-piers-anthony

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am glad I never read that.

I just remember him describing girls and their boobs in Xanth novels constantly.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A. Beaverhausen posted:

E: oops wrong piers

Piers Morgan then.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Spun Dog posted:

Piers Morgan then.

Yup, got em mixed up

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

seaborgium posted:

I read Flex recently, which has a main character kind of like that. In those, if someone obsesses over something enough like Star Wars or videogames they can do magic which is based on that sort of thing. So videogame people can easily steal cars and run away from the cops, or pull a bazooka out of nowhere. In Flex the main character obsesses over bureaucracy enough that he starts being able to do magic based on paperwork. It makes more sense than I'm explaining, but it isn't bad.

Syzygy Stardust posted:

I read that a couple of years ago, it was indeed decent. Fantasy needed an insurance adjuster hero, it just didn’t know it.

I'm a few pages back, but I can't find this on Amazon. Who's the author?

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

Ferrett Steinmetz

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Proteus Jones posted:

While 2-3 hours sounds a bit quick, these aren't necessarily filled with challenging prose. Nor would I consider an average sized novel "major" in terms of length.

I'd say 5 hours or so is a decent amount of time to get through the average Butcher novel.

I guess I'm weird and read things at about the speed I think they are occurring?

I always got this vibe that there was a good lot of dick measuring among readers about how fast they can read and it continues to baffle me. There's no way you aren't depriving yourselves.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr Scumbag posted:

I guess I'm weird and read things at about the speed I think they are occurring?

I always got this vibe that there was a good lot of dick measuring among readers about how fast they can read and it continues to baffle me. There's no way you aren't depriving yourselves.

I mean Butcher writes short chapters so you can knock out like 14 in an hour or so. But yeah, I'm definitely in the 'absorb the content' camp.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mr Scumbag posted:

Not exactly. I'm not a speed reader, but I read fast, very fast really. I also have a very high retention rate. This is learned behavior, and anyone can improve. It's a great benefit in academia, and pretty much neutral in anything else. Not depriving myself of anything, I think.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

To be fair, Dresden Files books are pretty drat easy to get through.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hell any time Harry goes on his tangent about how ok he feels about the damsel in distress thing blinding him like it does you can skip two pages there, along with the previously mentioned descriptions of women.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Nice dragons finish last, Heartstrikers series is a pretty fun read so far, working though the 5 book series now. Urban Fantasy, but slightly in the future. Bob is pretty much a Sanderson character, but it works.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The last Iron Druid book comes out today.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ornamented Death posted:

Finally the nightmare is ended. I only read the first few on a lark, they were bad. Considering reading synopsis of the rest just to see how it ends. Closure and all that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ornamented Death posted:

I'll take one for the team and read this because I have nothing better to do.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I mean, I liked his dog? That was ok. Being a 2000 year old manchild was less ok, though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The first few pages so far sound like a much more sober/somber character than I read in the previous book (except for when he's talking to his dog), but there is a time skip where he references a bunch of poo poo happening in another novella that I'm definitely not going to bother reading.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm fine with writers putting out novellas as side stories, but I really hate it when they're referenced in the main line. The more it's referenced, the more I hate it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Welp, he's not loving around too much with pointless hound stories. Straight to the consulting with diviners about when/where Ragnarok is going to kick off and Chapter 2 switches to the Archdruid's POV.

I'll post later about my overall feelings for the book, but it reads like a return to Book One-Three levels of "This poo poo is actually serious, let's not gently caress around". No stupid memes yet.

EDIT: Book finished, was barely long enough to be considered a novel. There was a reference to One Punch Man midway through the book that I rolled my eyes at, but that was about it.

I would have liked the ending a lot better if Atticus didn't just so happen to have favors he could call in to have his arm replaced at some point in the future, or if Freyja had straight up killed him instead of just cutting off the arm that had all of his healing/shape-shifting/etc. tattoos on them.

I laughed at the mental image of a killer sloth hopped up on Druidic speed/strength bindings jumping into a fight and tearing the throat out of one of the minor threats in the book, and I did like the rule-lawyering for how Jormungandr was defeated, but other than that, it's pretty much "Big bads defeated, nobody that mattered died, or if they did die one just has to walk to the plane their spirit went to in order to visit them, so what."

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 3, 2018

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know how but the Iron Druid guy made a talking dog unlikable

And I maintain the lolcats bit is an indefensible travesty

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I took a peek and at least he does a very considerate thing of putting in a "previously on" summary at the start of the book. Every series should do this.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Megazver posted:

I took a peek and at least he does a very considerate thing of putting in a "previously on" summary at the start of the book. Every series should do this.

A few do. Charming comes immediately to mind.
Most, though, just spend a paragraph catching you up when the info comes up again, which is better IMO.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Megazver posted:

Well, I do like that, but it backfired somewhat for me, since the last time I bought an Iron Druid book the summary at the start said something along the lines of "a bunch of super important stuff happened between this book and the last one, so you should go buy an anthology containing my short story if you want to know the full story". At which point I just returned the book and read something else instead. If it's important to the story, just put it in the loving book; don't make me chase down short stories hidden in overpriced anthologies.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Blasphemeral posted:

A few do. Charming comes immediately to mind.
Most, though, just spend a paragraph catching you up when the info comes up again, which is better IMO.

It works better in more episodic series, like UF usually is, than in, say, epic fantasy, which benefits from it the most.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Apoffys posted:

Well, I do like that, but it backfired somewhat for me, since the last time I bought an Iron Druid book the summary at the start said something along the lines of "a bunch of super important stuff happened between this book and the last one, so you should go buy an anthology containing my short story if you want to know the full story". At which point I just returned the book and read something else instead. If it's important to the story, just put it in the loving book; don't make me chase down short stories hidden in overpriced anthologies.

I skipped the short stories involving the dogs solving a mystery or whatever and I lost nothing. If you've only read the books you'll be fine - you might not understand a few details, but it's not a big deal.

One thing I give Hearne credit for is how he writes Coyote. He always gets laughs out of me.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Apoffys posted:

Some stories work better as novellas than tacked onto a novel.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

EVGA Longoria posted:

Some stories work better as novellas than tacked onto a novel.

Some stories also work better as tinder for my grill or fireplace. And?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I like how the Dresden short stories are handled. They get referenced from time to time in the main books, but if you haven't read them, they're just "this thing Harry did off screen"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Megazver posted:

It works better in more episodic series, like UF usually is, than in, say, epic fantasy, which benefits from it the most.

Huh?