Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Republicans posted:

I think it's supposed to be evocative of Godzilla's roar, which is made by rubbing the strings of a double bass with a resin-coated glove.

maybe they rubbed a pickle with a resin-coated glove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Wow, I was getting my rear end kicked by hard mode until I crafted a Royal Burst (decided to try gunlance, farmed up a good one) and promptly solo'd Kushala. :0 Been having to use SOS beacons to get though everything in hard mode since Urugaan so its a nice change of pace.

Right now I mostly have a clown suit with three levels in guard and artillery. Any gunlance tips or reasonably easy poo poo I can grind for that will help? I just recently unlocked the Elder Dragon bros.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

Wow, I was getting my rear end kicked by hard mode until I crafted a Royal Burst (decided to try gunlance, farmed up a good one) and promptly solo'd Kushala. :0 Been having to use SOS beacons to get though everything in hard mode since Urugaan so its a nice change of pace.

Right now I mostly have a clown suit with three levels in guard and artillery. Any gunlance tips or reasonably easy poo poo I can grind for that will help? I just recently unlocked the Elder Dragon bros.

Artillery Gear is mostly rear end, its better to invest in crafting an Artillery Charm. When I was running Gunlance, I found I could do just about everything comfortably with a 3/2 split between Bazel and Uragaan gear (+artillery charm, and royal burst, before factoring into account decorations). Earplugs were a godsend since a lot of Gunlance is looking for your opening to unleash your devastating combo and earplugs is basically "congrats, here are several free seconds the monster stands there crying while you blow its face off".

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
As an insect glaive player when I get damage up skills for, say, burst or poison does that also affect my bug’s clouds?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I took the shield HBG for a spin, figured I should go big or go home and went up against a Nergigante. Killed it in 10 minutes! My first HBG hunt :pram:

It looks like the extra shield upgrades basically function like having more points in Guard, is that correct? I went in with Guard+5 and a single shield, which seemed to work fine. I'm not sure having extra shields on top of Guard+5 would do anything? Either way this is a hilarious way of playing. I only wish the Deviljho HBG would work for this because it looks hilarious, but the Anja is pretty cool too I guess.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

As an insect glaive player when I get damage up skills for, say, burst or poison does that also affect my bug’s clouds?

I don't think so.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I've been rocking zorah hammer with apothecary mantle. Lot's of explosions!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I don't think so.

Well that's a bummer.

So what triggers the ability to skip a whole bunch of upgrade nodes and just forge higher level weapons? I was pleasantly surprised that I could just make a really good poison insect glaive without farming for low level trash.

Also it's real dumb that you can't set palico gadgets in the armor screen and need to go to your room or the tent. Fuggin' why?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Well that's a bummer.

So what triggers the ability to skip a whole bunch of upgrade nodes and just forge higher level weapons? I was pleasantly surprised that I could just make a really good poison insect glaive without farming for low level trash.

Also it's real dumb that you can't set palico gadgets in the armor screen and need to go to your room or the tent. Fuggin' why?

A very small handful of weapons have a silver outline around them with a hammer icon when you look at the upgrade tree. This means you can skip to just forging that weapon. I REALLY wish more weapons could be forged like this to avoid having to farm LR Anjanath fanga for the 10th time.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I don't think that stuff is unlocked at a certain point, it's just based on the rarity of the weapon itself which is tied to the HR I guess.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Well that's a bummer.

If a weapon on the upgrade tree has a special hammer icon on it and a frame, you can just forge it straight. Sadly, these are pretty rare. If it's not on there, you're gonna have to grind LR, though on the upside HR weapons murder LR monsters in seconds.

I myself just had to grind out a shitload of LR Anjanath to make an Anja Gunlance.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah, and you can't even change them from camp when he's sitting there. He's there just so you can tell him to stay home, but I wanna tell him to grab a bongo and his paralysis flower so we can do the dang thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I saw the icon and eventually figured that's what it meant.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I don't think that stuff is unlocked at a certain point, it's just based on the rarity of the weapon itself which is tied to the HR I guess.

This is more what I was wondering about, if maybe the more times you captured monsters you could unlock straight builds of weapons but if it's just set and not unlockable that's kinda weird!

Jolo posted:

Yeah, and you can't even change them from camp when he's sitting there. He's there just so you can tell him to stay home, but I wanna tell him to grab a bongo and his paralysis flower so we can do the dang thing.

Yep, super dumb.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I don't know if this improves at the higher ranks, but around HR 100 multi with randoms is a loving wasteland of people charging Daoras head on and failing quests over and over.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Kawabata posted:

I don't know if this improves at the higher ranks, but around HR 100 multi with randoms is a loving wasteland of people charging Daoras head on and failing quests over and over.

Do you mean you're at HR100 or people you're MPing with are HR100?

MPing is a really mixed bag of poo poo in general. I generally only do it for the extra challenge because single player is a bit too easy.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've only really had an issue doing MP with tempered monsters and some Xeno SOS responses. Like, I would basically only do threat 2 or 3 monsters with friends or alone. The stakes are just too high.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

SettingSun posted:

I've only really had an issue doing MP with tempered monsters and some Xeno SOS responses. Like, I would basically only do threat 2 or 3 monsters with friends or alone. The stakes are just too high.

You have not lived until doing your last temp 2, 1 faint mission in MP with auto accept on joins. Bonus points if it's Bazel, Uragaan or Black Diablos.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I purge 1-fainters from my investigations unless I plan on soloing them. I don't trust pubbies enough unless it's a comically easy monster like dodogama or odogaron.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Pubbies wasted one of my 4 reward tempers because 1 rear end in a top hat decided to keep attacking the monster until it died while we were trying to capture it for the objective.

I mostly just respond to any SOS 9* because I'm not sure of a reliable way of farming tempered tracks for any level. I did unlock the 1* and 3* follow up quests just fighting random tempered things. Is there a chart or something out there that explains which difficulty has better chances for certain decorations or how to farm specific difficulties? I'm not sure how to get the 2* tempers except by random SOS.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

poemdexter posted:

Pubbies wasted one of my 4 reward tempers because 1 rear end in a top hat decided to keep attacking the monster until it died while we were trying to capture it for the objective.

I mostly just respond to any SOS 9* because I'm not sure of a reliable way of farming tempered tracks for any level. I did unlock the 1* and 3* follow up quests just fighting random tempered things. Is there a chart or something out there that explains which difficulty has better chances for certain decorations or how to farm specific difficulties? I'm not sure how to get the 2* tempers except by random SOS.

Tempered tracks are in fixed locations while on expeditions. For example, you can always find tempered Diablos tracks in the sand caves in the Wildspire Wastes and Teostra fur in the open space above it. Remember that what tracks you pick up do not correlate with what monster investigation you get; only its rarity. While it might not be as interesting as picking up tracks on another investigation, it is otherwise consistent.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SettingSun posted:

Tempered tracks are in fixed locations while on expeditions. For example, you can always find tempered Diablos tracks in the sand caves in the Wildspire Wastes and Teostra fur in the open space above it. Remember that what tracks you pick up do not correlate with what monster investigation you get; only its rarity. While it might not be as interesting as picking up tracks on another investigation, it is otherwise consistent.

I did have success finding tracks with that event to go pick up 10 blue things. I think that's where I snagged the majority of my current ones. Was just curious what to do when that event is gone. Thanks!

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

poemdexter posted:

I did have success finding tracks with that event to go pick up 10 blue things. I think that's where I snagged the majority of my current ones. Was just curious what to do when that event is gone. Thanks!

Temp 2 are usually the Apex monsters for a specific area so the best place to get them is in and around where they sleep. Rathalos for AF, Diablos for WW, Legiana for CH, Odog for the Vale (I think). Not sure about Elder.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

When can you get elder investigations? I need some gems from Teostra and kushala but I can’t seem to pick up investigations for either of them.

There might be an easier place, but if you go to Elder's Recess in an expedition and go to Nergigante's area, he usually has a lot of tracks and spikes and poo poo laying around. I believe it works the same way as tempered investigations, where Nerg's tracks can lead to investigations for any of the elder dragons and vice versa.

The other way is to just go in on an expedition and beat the poo poo out of the ones you're looking for - usually you can find some tracks along the way and you can pick up investigations from breaking their parts, plus you might get lucky and pull a gem off of a carve.

edit: Assuming you want regular ones, if you want tempered elders, there's an event quest right now that is plastered in tempered elder tracks.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My path for the elder tracks quest:

1) Zone into camp 16, head through the crawlspace and up to Nerg sleep area, picking up Nerg 4 thorns and 2 tracks
2) Fly to camp 8, head through the crawlspace and grapple up to the left to pick up 2 Kush tracks, then head upwards through to the Kush sleep area for a total of 5 gashes (optionally pick up some beryl on the way if I feel like working toward completing the quest instead of just abandoning once I get the tracks)
2) Fly back to camp 16, this time going down to the right into the lava area to pick up two Teo fur stacked on top of each other, then two tracks, into the communal area where there's 2 thorns, 1 gash and 1 fur. That's it for tracks, if I wanna complete the quest I head down toward where the galajaka are to pick up more beryl for completion, otherwise I just quit out

Anyone have a better path? I know there's another Teo fur and 2 tracks down in the lava area but it feels like a big detour to take considering that's all I get for heading down there.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Yodzilla posted:

So what triggers the ability to skip a whole bunch of upgrade nodes and just forge higher level weapons?

Nothing. The devs assigned a few that you can do that, and it never changes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't like that my palico always talks like he wants validation from me. Buddy, you have that unconditionally.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I don't like the simpering cowering step-and-fetchit in my room that asks me if m'lord would deign to visit the training grounds this morn, good sire, your eminence.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

I don't like the simpering cowering step-and-fetchit in my room that asks me if m'lord would deign to visit the training grounds this morn, good sire, your eminence.

lord have mercy on you if you ever tried switching your housekeeper in Generations

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
But have you heard the tale of the Sapphire Star tho

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Looking forward to the PC version so I can mod all the palicos into sexy subservient anime catgirls.

Magus42 posted:

Nothing. The devs assigned a few that you can do that, and it never changes.

Weird but okay.

e: am I misremembering older games or were small monster fights more of a focus in past titles? I seem to remember a lot more hunts revolving around them and smaller monsters being more dangerous. In World it's rare that you even get attacked by a jagras or the like. The aggro rammy buffalo lizards in the lava area being the most dangerous.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 29, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The direct forge bracket seems to generally do 2 major things, though:

1- Halts part refundability, so they act as points of no return. Branches sometimes also act like this (and brackets often occur at the start of branches), but there seem to be exceptions to both these rules... not at home to check.

2- The bracket weapon tends to have a design shift, which I'm guessing is what justifies the inability to refund. A good example are the bone hammers and SAs, where successive variants are generally the same drat weapon but with poo poo from the new monster ingredient literally strapped to it. When you get to an actual form shift, you can't go back. Can't find tree images online atm, but I seem to recall noticing a lot of the fresh build brackets were at form shifts. Dragon weapons tend to not ever be direct forged, too.

It was a tiny detail that seemed really interesting did me, at the time. Could be totally wrong. I know there are a lot of weapons that shift forms and can still be refunded/don't have any brackets at all, most noticeably the Nerg and Vaal weapons, but other lines seem to work this way.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 29, 2018

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The lesson of the day is:

https://twitter.com/TaurusOxford/status/979437504649748480

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i havent played any switch axe this game. How do you do that move where you mount the monster?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

i havent played any switch axe this game. How do you do that move where you mount the monster?

Hit with circle+triangle in sword mode while amped (glowing weapon). Note that it is not the same as normal mounting and they can still fairly easily shake you off.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Hit the monster in sword mode until the gauge around the energy bar is filled, your sword will be glowing red-hot. Then just connect with Circle+Triangle.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

am i crazy or did they add a new area behind the armory? that opens when you kill xeno, right? there's nothing there, but i can't understand that i haven't seen it through a 100 hours playtime.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Attitude Indicator posted:

am i crazy or did they add a new area behind the armory? that opens when you kill xeno, right? there's nothing there, but i can't understand that i haven't seen it through a 100 hours playtime.

The Admiral is there sometimes and he jokes that you're taking over his job or something.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Attitude Indicator posted:

I don't know when it opens, but sometimes the admiral hangs out there. Also, there is something for your poogie to dig up there too!

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Hahahah, or atleast remember to eat your max health pot before getting locked into the S&S leap with rocksteady in the middle of it’s whirlwind on a one faint.

Ironically, I didn’t have 150 hp cause I used a voucher for Moxie because it was a one faint. LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Rocksteady can really get you in some trouble. Like when I was in the middle of dooting out a tune on my HH while wearing it, right in a Legiana's face. When out of nowhere, three Bezel's bombs landed around me. And in that moment, the beginning of Roundabout started playing in my head...