Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

do you think beyonds strong or a failson

He went to the DC and came back alive. I think he's got the stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Well, poo poo. I was really really hoping we would get to the first stop before the hiatus. This is very disappointing. Togashi, don’t take too long please.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Option: Chrollo stealing an ability can be nen-exorcised.
Option: Neon ded

Do we know if Kurapika's actually in charge of the Nostrade setup or is he just effectively in charge?

it has been discussed in this thread before. i think it should be possible to remove chrollo's nen that way, but he normally abducts his victims and keeps them locked up somewhere. it wasn't convenient for chrollo to abduct neon the night of the auction, since she was his ticket to get in quietly. maybe he would have gone back for her later, maybe not, but after that night he had other things to worry about.

neon's totally dead, though. either hisoka tracked her down to remove part of chrollo's arsenal or one of the many enemies of the nostrade family took her out while kurapika was absent.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dazoner posted:

I didn’t realize how many Conjurers the Spiders had/have. The conjurers that we have met so far all seemed to make the most of having the short end of the Nen stick. (RIP Kite / long live Kite.)

Also Illumi is an upgrade to Sharlnak (lol)

Oh yeah Illumi is for sure an upgrade to Shalnark. Shalnark himself said his ability is easily replaceable.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why are there people assuming Hisoka killed Neon? He doesn't know who she is, what she looks like, and he would have to deal with Kurapika, who is using her family's name.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I just watched the whole anime over the course of a few weeks. That was quite enjoyable! Gon is the most likable protagonist in an anime I've seen in a while.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

Wildcard option: He's impersonating Chrollo. Why else do you think he refused to do the fortune telling? :tinfoil:

More likely: He's impersonating Illumi. Or Illumi is impersonating him.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it has been discussed in this thread before.

Yeah, I figured. Thanks for the rundown.

Kinda wish we knew more concrete info on the Nostrade situation but that's valuable page space and the hiatus is a-comin' on back

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

More likely: He's impersonating Illumi. Or Illumi is impersonating him.

Wouldn't Kalluto see through his act if he was impersonating Illumi?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Why are there people assuming Hisoka killed Neon? He doesn't know who she is, what she looks like, and he would have to deal with Kurapika, who is using her family's name.
Actually, Chrollo does say he stole the ability off a girl who had several dons as her patrons he might have said more at some other point but that's a clue. All things considered it should be somewhat easy for to connect the Nostrade family which was at the center of the Spider's conflict, to Neon and the stolen ability. Plus if Hisoka is trying to limit Chrollo's "allies" so getting rid of the ability for him to see into the future would be a top priority now that he's going all out like this.

Plus Kurapika didn't have Neon at his facility from what we know, plus his duties aiding the Zodiacs prior to the ships departure would have removed him from any immediate protection. There is also the fact that Hisoka could have just hired someone to kill her after the boat departs, wouldn't be the first time he's used a hired killer.

Really, I'm just of the opinion that you cannot exorcise Chrollo's skill thief from a victim so her dying is the only logical way for her ability to have dissapeared.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Why would Hisoka attack Neon in the first place? Her ability has very little value when it comes to fighting, and without her nen she was basically just a useless civilian.

On the other hand, Neon's father said they were a weak family that only came to power because of her ability. The surviving York New families probably had no use for the Nostrade family once Neon lost her fortune teller ability, and the Nostrades lost most of their powerful bodyguards during that arc. Why would it be anything else than a mob hit?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

KittenofDoom posted:

Why would Hisoka attack Neon in the first place? Her ability has very little value when it comes to fighting, and without her nen she was basically just a useless civilian.

To keep Chrollo for using her Hatsu to predict Hisoka's own attacks on the Phantom Troupe.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I never really understood why people consider Gon likable.
Mainly because I don't think that's what Togashi is going for.

Gon is incredibly selfish and only cares about people if they can either give him something, 0r because he's attached to someone.
He doesn't bat an eye when other hunters die right in front of him. But doesn't want to kill a serial killer because he can be used for training.

He's hypocritical. He calls out the spiders on killing people, but threatens to kill Komugi because she's in the way of his revenge.
He never knew his father so his main goal is to find Ging to the point of obsession, but when he gets the chance to learn about his real mother he literally doesn't give a gently caress because he grew up knowing Mito

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Gon is a bad character. These elements are what makes him interesting and one of the more "realistic" shonen protagonists. I just don't think likable is a term I'd use to describe Gon.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He was raised by Mito so she's his mother, she wasn't just knocking around when he was growing up.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mulderman posted:

Gon is incredibly selfish and only cares about people if they can either give him something, 0r because he's attached to someone.

he's very relatable

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Mulderman posted:

He doesn't bat an eye when other hunters die right in front of him. But doesn't want to kill a serial killer because he can be used for training.

He's hypocritical. He calls out the spiders on killing people, but threatens to kill Komugi because she's in the way of his revenge.
He never knew his father so his main goal is to find Ging to the point of obsession, but when he gets the chance to learn about his real mother he literally doesn't give a gently caress because he grew up knowing Mito

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Gon is a bad character. These elements are what makes him interesting and one of the more "realistic" shonen protagonists. I just don't think likable is a term I'd use to describe Gon.

Agreed, among all the main characters he has always seemed to me the most explicitly more of a prop for deconstructing typical shonen protagonists than a real, fleshed out character. You could certainly read him as a typical shonen protagonist "played straight," but for the reasons you listed and basically everything he did in the CA arc I think Togashi pretty strongly drew him as showing how that type of character is problematic when the world doesn't contort itself to make their mary sue decisions consequence-free.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mulderman posted:

I find these are the things that make him a real person with both relatable flaws and likeable characteristics. That's why it's easier to get attached to him. Who didn't have most of these flaws as a kid? Gon is probably what would happen if 10-year old me got excessive self-confidence, Goku powers, and was put in life-and-death situations.

And then the world reacts like the real world would to his actions. I really wanted to slap him in his stupid face and give him a proper Dad Lecture when he walks away with Pitou just because he can't let go of his anger and refuses to accept how the world works (to everyones big surprise, dead person is dead and will stay dead, bad murderer person is a manipulative liar). Then right after that I felt really bad for him when sacrificing yourself to kill someone you really hate did not in fact make anything better and just caused more pain and trouble for the people you care about.

And after finally finding his dad, it turns out his dad is just, like, some deadbeat guy.

Gon is likeable to me because he makes stupid mistakes that I would probably also have made at that age and learns lessons that I can totally relate to.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 29, 2018

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pitou didn't lie, tho. Assuming you weren't talking about Pouf, anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
everyone's assuming that hisoka is in disguise, waiting to pick off spiders. going by previous examples, it seems very likely that neon's prophecies would include indirect references to who hisoka goes after first and maybe even where he is hiding, perhaps before hisoka himself knew these things. even if hisoka didn't kill neon then he's still benefiting greatly by her death.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

to be fair his real mother's likely his father anyway.

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Pregnancy_Stones_(G.I_card)

quote:

Carry a stone (weighing 7 lb. each) for one month and you will get pregnant, even if you're male. You may choose the sex of the baby by the female or male stone.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Not wanting to know about his birth mother is something I've seen in adopted kids I know. Some kids wanna know their bio parents, some don't. And Gon in particular grew up with a loving mother figure while hearing stories and whispers about his super hero dad. So him not being concerned with his mother doesn't bother me in the slightest as a character trait.

Almost no one liking Ging is one of my favorite aspects of the world building. He's got, what, Kite and Beans on his side? He deserves less. Can't wait to see how he and Pariston mess with each other though, that should be great.

Kild posted:

Well that's unsettling

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Not wanting to know about his birth mother is something I've seen in adopted kids I know. Some kids wanna know their bio parents, some don't. And Gon in particular grew up with a loving mother figure while hearing stories and whispers about his super hero dad. So him not being concerned with his mother doesn't bother me in the slightest as a character trait.

Almost no one liking Ging is one of my favorite aspects of the world building. He's got, what, Kite and Beans on his side? He deserves less. Can't wait to see how he and Pariston mess with each other though, that should be great.

Satotz (first examiner in the first arc) was a big fan of his too. Most of the Greed Island team also seem to like him, even if they more than anyone are aware of what a dick he is too. Netero presumably liked him too, since he was a Zodiac, but Netero also liked Pariston so that isn't necessarily a point in Ging's favor.

Kild posted:

This theory is still hilarious to me. Also more plausible than it should be, which amuses me even more.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 29, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Who wouldn't like Pariston??

I'm super curious as to what Ging's hatsu is. I hope it's not combat based at all and is some really specfic thing to do with like archaeology restoration.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I'm super curious as to what Ging's hatsu is. I hope it's not combat based at all and is some really specfic thing to do with like archaeology restoration.

he's so good at copying other people's hatsus, he just made his own something stupid like with Kite's

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Satotz (first examiner in the first arc) was a big fan of his too. Most of the Greed Island team also seem to like him, even if they more than anyone are aware of what a dick he is too. Netero presumably liked him too, since he was a Zodiac, but Netero also liked Pariston so that isn't necessarily a point in Ging's favor.

This is all true. And I should point out that I like Ging as a character and for the story but I also loved the scene where the Hunter's Association collectively and publicly shamed him.

Ging almost seems like a poor man's Chrollo book, just learnin' whatever as he goes around. Dude's terrifying.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adlai Stevenson posted:

This is all true. And I should point out that I like Ging as a character and for the story but I also loved the scene where the Hunter's Association collectively and publicly shamed him.

Ging almost seems like a poor man's Chrollo book, just learnin' whatever as he goes around. Dude's terrifying.

Oh yeah, Ging's an entertaining character, and also him getting shamed and punched and stuff is great too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like half the people who have good things to say about Ging have never met him

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ging is a cool dude if you and he share an interest. That examiner that likes him is also an archeologist and it's easy to see why anyone in that field would appreciate Ging since he works well with others, has boundless curiosity, isn't the kind of guy to step over others, and just wants to see other people succeed.

Then you see how he treats his son and pretty much everyone is willing to fight the guy. Also he's still got a reputation of being a somewhat abrasive dick. I also found it funny that he's someone who occasionally just goes missing for a year or two and just pops back on the radar when he feels like it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

that's my point though, Satotz never met Ging lmao

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Adlai Stevenson posted:

If his talent is actually just copying and refining hatsus then he's actually far scarier than Chrollo because his toolbox is unlimited and available at all times while also being personalizable to his own tastes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My nen ability requires me being a terrible dad, pls leave now Gon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ging originally wanted to be an even more terrible dad, coming and going from gon's life as he pleased with no responsibility. mito was very wise to sue for sole custody.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Eej posted:

If his talent is actually just copying and refining hatsus then he's actually far scarier than Chrollo because his toolbox is unlimited and available at all times while also being personalizable to his own tastes.

just types of punches that he's been punched by

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Given his personality, he’s probably just been punched so many times that it developed naturally.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

EmmyOk posted:

My guess is he doesn't have one because he's never needed one. His fundamentals are so strong that he can replicate hatsus without actually committing to one.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Given his personality, he’s probably just been punched so many times that it developed naturally.
Makes sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he can recreate leorio's rather simple hatsu, but that doesn't mean he can recreate any hatsu. also, there are some which require distinct physical traits to work at all, like morel and killua.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
morels i dont think he could steal but killua's hell to the yes, if bisky could transmute her nen typing ging could probably turn into a frigging logia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he can recreate leorio's rather simple hatsu, but that doesn't mean he can recreate any hatsu. also, there are some which require distinct physical traits to work at all, like morel and killua.

He says it only works for strike-type abilities which can be assumed to be some form of Enhancer Ko, or an Emissions ability revolving around projecting a "fist" at the opponent. Outside of that we don't know if he can mimic anything else.