Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there any EcoCoins or environmentally friendly ones, because that'd be funny. i think i know the answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Powershift posted:

The current hash rate is around 25,000,000,000 gh/s

The most modern piece of hardware, the bitmain S9 runs at 14,000 gh/s and uses 1340 watts

That means that even if every piece of hardware on the network was this most efficient unit, it would still be 1,785,714 pieces of hardware consuming 2,392,856 kilowatts, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

That's 57,438,562 kilowatts per day. There were 188,000 transactions in the last 24 hours. That means if every unit on the network was this most efficient box, each transaction would have used 305kwh

People are still running older hardware, too. That number could realistically be more than double.

Khorne posted:

It scales based on the amount of processing power mining. Meaning, instead of more miners=more capacity, it's more miners=more power per transaction=identical capacity.

This is all just so insane. But does a transaction actually add to the energy being used? Or is it just the nature of the things being on all the time. Like because a transaction has to be propagated through all of these boxes it is so costly? So like what would be the difference between two days, assuming the same hash rate and number of miners, where one day has no transactions and the other day has, say, the amount you put up there.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Because of course there is

http://www.ecocoin.us/

....Through our community and currency network, we will draw attention to environmental issues and support solutions. We will spread awareness of issues and existing solutions such as the efficient use of natural resources. Both small and local changes and larger efforts created by other organizations are necessary and welcome.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bollig posted:

This is all just so insane. But does a transaction actually add to the energy being used? Or is it just the nature of the things being on all the time. Like because a transaction has to be propagated through all of these boxes it is so costly? So like what would be the difference between two days, assuming the same hash rate and number of miners, where one day has no transactions and the other day has, say, the amount you put up there.

Miners are always running at 100% to get the block reward. The more power you have, the more likely you are to get the block reward. The entire purpose of the system is, after all, to process transactions.

The entire system could be run on a Nintendo NES, it's just an insanely greedy arms race that has run everything up this far. Adding more processing power does not make the system run better or process more transactions.

It is just an insane destruction of resources in the name of greed.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

bollig posted:

From my understanding, it is using that energy regardless of whether there are transactions or not, but also from my understanding, the rate of transactions is pretty static.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I Was The Fury posted:

From my understanding, it is using that energy regardless of whether there are transactions or not, but also from my understanding, the rate of transactions is pretty static.

The theoretical limit is 7 transactions per second. In practice the limit is about 4 transactions per second. The number of transactions has fallen more than 50% since the price crashed. and is now around 2 transactions per second.

https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The best frame of reference I've seen mentioned is that Bitcoin couldn't handle the transactions of a sports stadium at half time.

That alone should kill off the idea of it ever being a world currency. But somehow that hasn't stopped the libertarian dream.

Also Lightning Network is hilariously broken and awful as well. The more I read about it the more confused I am that enough people considered it a good idea they actually implemented it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The more devices on the chain, the more energy required, right?

Isn't that indisputable proof that this is a failure?

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Powershift posted:

The theoretical limit is 7 transactions per second. In practice the limit is about 4 transactions per second. The number of transactions has fallen more than 50% since the price crashed. and is now around 2 transactions per second.

Lmao
Laughing my alt-coins off

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Alpha Mayo posted:

Also Lightning Network is hilariously broken and awful as well. The more I read about it the more confused I am that enough people considered it a good idea they actually implemented it
I think I've figured out why butters don't see the problem with the Lightning Network tying up your funds. For a long time the 'best' way to cash out bitcoins quick was gift cards. So if a butter wanted to cash out, he'd cash out like a $100 Pizza Hut gift card and would have $100 of funds tied up with Pizza Hut or whatever until spent. They saw this and said to themselves, "hey it wasn't a problem for me to tie up my funds like this, surely this can scale to the planet".

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Powershift posted:

lol

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Alpha Mayo posted:

I admit I don't understand what all is going on with the Lightning Network, but

Wikipedia posted:

Also, due to the burdensome nature of the Lightning Network's dispute mechanism which requires all users to watch their full nodes constantly for fraud, a new concept has been introduced called "watchtowers" where trust is outsourced to watchtower nodes to monitor their channel payments for fraud.

seems like it is against the purported ideals of buttcoin.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

bollig posted:

We need to stop calling the boxes/programs miners and start calling them guessers.

For those who are new to the thread, mining is literally just guessing a random chunk of data and adding it to the transaction information in hopes that when you run everything through a hash (sort of a 1-way compression that outputs data that may as well be random) it spits out a number that matches a particular pattern.

All of these thousands of tons of coal are used to guess random numbers. The mystical algorithm is literally a lottery

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
I made something:

It's kind of beautiful.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The more devices on the chain, the more energy required, right?

Isn't that indisputable proof that this is a failure?

Yes, more devices = more energy used, but that's considered a feature, not a bug. Bitcoin is designed to waste electricity in order to give a big financial cost to anyone trying to mess with the network. So the libertarians see the insane waste of resources as a good thing

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Powershift posted:

this is a theoretical upper limit of ~220 million transactions in a single year

if every single person on earth only used bitcoins (and you ignore new people being born), each person would be able to do a single transaction every 33 years

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

*looks down from throne of Bitcoin*

Poor peasant NoCoiners... they can only see what is in front of their face... complaining about minor issues... and here I sit, looking at the future, 2020, my wealth multiplied by 100.... Crypto taken over the world... if only I could make them see the light... the light of Bitcoin....

*sighs*

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

QuarkJets posted:

Yes, more devices = more energy used, but that's considered a feature, not a bug. Bitcoin is designed to waste electricity in order to give a big financial cost to anyone trying to mess with the network. So the libertarians see the insane waste of resources as a good thing

Ah yes. This is good for bitcoin.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
At work one day two coworkers were talking about bitcoin. The one guy was saying how despite the crash he thought it was the currency of the future and would be dominant within a year or two. The other said he doesn't mess with that and only invests in "super safe" gold and silver which "Have never gone down".

Khorne
May 1, 2002

wilderthanmild posted:

At work one day two coworkers were talking about bitcoin. The one guy was saying how despite the crash he thought it was the currency of the future and would be dominant within a year or two. The other said he doesn't mess with that and only invests in "super safe" gold and silver which "Have never gone down".
Silver and Gold are both fascinating markets to study. Not to invest in. The state of silver mining right now in particular is bizarre.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 29, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Tether is #14 crypto on coinmarketcap.com
Unlike puny cryptos like Bitcoin, Tether has absolute control over the value of their token, by setting it to one dollar. Why is it worth a dollar? Because they said it is! Hopefully they will print more, and instead of propping up failing shitcoins, embrace itself and take over to become the dominant cryptocurrency of the future.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

CSM posted:

I made something:

It's kind of beautiful.

It really is beautiful

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alan Smithee posted:

my quesstion is if you are a scam exchange scamming scammers where do you then exit scam for actual money?

transaction fees probably

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

*looks down from throne of Bitcoin*

Poor peasant NoCoiners... they can only see what is in front of their face... complaining about minor issues... and here I sit, looking at the future, 2020, my wealth multiplied by 100.... Crypto taken over the world... if only I could make them see the light... the light of Bitcoin....

*sighs*

Mr. sweater, do you think btc is good for the environment? If so, how. Tia for your testimony.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CSM posted:

I made something:

It's kind of beautiful.

I like how everything has already fallen another 5% since this was made.

Also, Tether is up to 14th in market cap, up from ~30th

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

600 BTC buy wall at 7k, looks like we're hitting it soon

e: lol never mind, literally jumped $100 in a second

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 29, 2018

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

Khorne posted:

Silver and Gold are both fascinating markets to study. Not to invest in. The state of silver mining right now in particular is bizarre.

i'm not particularly aware of these markets. What's bizarre about silver mining right now?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Beldantazar posted:

i'm not particularly aware of these markets. What's bizarre about silver mining right now?
They're effectively mining at a loss. Or were. I don't keep up with it. It's a bit more complicated than that.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Bitcoin in the $6000s?
Ripple under 50 cents?
Litecoin under $100?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Alpha Mayo posted:

Bitcoin in the $6000s?
Ripple under 50 cents?
Litecoin under $100?

I LOVE sales!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I see a six. :toot:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Happy accurate thread title (again... again)

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

When I checked the price a day ago, I saw a dude buy 84 bitcoin for $7900 each. Good going, that guy :thumbsup:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So all the recent pricewalls for bitcoin just lost a lot of money?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Or they were fake

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

necrotic posted:

Or they were fake

How do people make fake buywalls?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

How do people make fake buywalls?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoofing_(finance)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
you guys said number go up but number not go up! :mad:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'd recommend investing in a Honda CBR1000RR over bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dodd frank made this illegal, trump made it ok?