Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I owned the 70D and loved it, I also saw and used the 7D for fun and at work. The 7D was a great work horse but the flip screen was a real game changer. Especially if you wanted something all around for video and the like. 80D was supposedly an upgrade but it was not significant enough to make everyone go "holy cow!"

I sold mine only because I needed to in order to make the switch to full frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

I checked out your posting. That really is a good price, and I’ve been eyeballing that lens, but the loose lock switch would drive me bonkers I think. Don’t really want to use a holster. I wonder if those can be fixed...

If you’ve still got it listed when I replenish my funds I’ll give it a think.

I've been using one of those thick produce rubber bands to try to keep the switch place. It improved things but it still unlocks. Once I started using the holster more I stopped trying to figure out low tech solutions. I never actually contacted Tamron since it's out of warranty but maybe I will just to find out how much it would cost to fix.

quote:

Having never actually used either camera, but having watched and read a handful of reviews, I’d say that the 80D would be considered “better”, but also $300 to $400 more second hand. Their burst rates are really close, if not the same, and since the 80D’s considerably newer, it’s got a slew of updated features/tech over the 7D.

It seems like when I have seen comparisons it’s typically been 7D vs. 70D or 7D mkII vs. 80D. Curious to hear what the more experienced goons think.

I think your analysis is good.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Soulex posted:

I owned the 70D and loved it, I also saw and used the 7D for fun and at work. The 7D was a great work horse but the flip screen was a real game changer. Especially if you wanted something all around for video and the like. 80D was supposedly an upgrade but it was not significant enough to make everyone go "holy cow!"

I sold mine only because I needed to in order to make the switch to full frame.

There are times the flip screen on my Rebel has certainly come in handy—weird angle shots low to the ground and such—but I don’t do any video stuff, so I can do without.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
For night landscapes would it be worth to use the 16-35 f/4 is or f/2.8? I’m curious how different the bokeh is between the two at night. Planning on renting one or the other for travel and the different filter thread size is a bit annoying since I’d have to invest in some 82mm filters if I want to use the f/2.8.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

GoldenNugget posted:

For night landscapes would it be worth to use the 16-35 f/4 is or f/2.8? I’m curious how different the bokeh is between the two at night. Planning on renting one or the other for travel and the different filter thread size is a bit annoying since I’d have to invest in some 82mm filters if I want to use the f/2.8.
For astrophotography it's probably worth it to go for the 2.8. Otherwise, what landscapes are you shooting at f/2.8 at night?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah uh use a tripod dude

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Took delivery of my 7D today. Very cool so far, although I have yet to take it out for a real trial run.

I never thought the T6i we have felt especially cheap. I mean, yeah, sure, it’s made of plastic, but it seemed well done to me. This thing on the other hand—gently caress—this thing something else. It’s a proper piece of hardware! Glad I went ahead and picked up a BlackRapid strap too. I seriously wouldn’t trust the wrist strap that I used with the Rebel on this larger body.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You get spoiled fast, my t1i feels like a kids toy compared to my 80d and the 80d isn't even in the "pro" tier. Every time I touch it I feel like it's gonna crumble in my hands.

Have fun never being able to go back.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah i'm taking photography classes at the community college and all these kids have rebels and stuff and they look and handle like toys. My buddy was super frustrated with his and ended up buying a fuji xt-1. I might sell off my 80d and bump up to the new 7d model whenever that's released, if the specs actually seem like a significant jump unlike the 6dii

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 80d and 7d2 are so close in capability they're really gonna have to make the mk3 a monster to justify the pro designation.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

Have fun never being able to go back.

lol. poo poo, you’ve got a point there...

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

InternetJunky posted:

For astrophotography it's probably worth it to go for the 2.8. Otherwise, what landscapes are you shooting at f/2.8 at night?

Would part body/whole body portrait landscape with night bokeh be unreasonable or would I be better off with a longer focal length? I’m asking about wide angles since I’ve never have used that focal length. I’d be renting first to check it out.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xzzy posted:

The 80d and 7d2 are so close in capability they're really gonna have to make the mk3 a monster to justify the pro designation.

Really good 4k video and 14+ FPS should move some units even at the cost of cannibalizing some higher end sales.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Seamonster posted:

cannibalizing some higher end sales.

So no from Canon then.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Constellation I posted:

So no from Canon then.

90D but with more AF points and the AF joystick. Maaaaaaaaaybe with the AF set to pro tolerances too. 1080p 120hz but 4k 24hz in some weird lovely format. $2300.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

god i miss the joystick

gently caress whoever thought to remove that from the XXD line

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’ve only had my 7D for a few days, so I’m still getting used to the controls, but I have yet to fully appreciate the joystick. Hell, I’m still stoked about two dials!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just got my 7Dii last night. I don't even know what I'm doing but it's fun as hell.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Seriously dudes with joysticks, the greatest joy about it is being able to switch your AF point easily while your face is glued to the camera. My 40d used to be a setting somewhere where that was its default behavior, without having to press the AF selection button. The multi controller on the 80D serves a similar function but its positioned in a spot that doesn't feel natural to use while you're actively shooting.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 30, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

Seriously dudes with joysticks, the greatest joy about it is being able to switch your AF point easily while your face is glued to the camera. My 40d used to be a setting somewhere where that was its default behavior, without having to press the AF selection button. The multi controller on the 80D serves a similar function but its positioned in a spot that doesn't feel natural to use while you're actively shooting.

I need to get better at this. I’ve finally started back button focusing religiously.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

What is the advantage of moving the AF point with the joystick vs. spot focusing, locking it with a half shutter press and then composing your picture?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

joat mon posted:

What is the advantage of moving the AF point with the joystick vs. spot focusing, locking it with a half shutter press and then composing your picture?

Not sure how true this is, but I’ve heard it said that focusing and recomposing can throw off your focal plane enough to screw up your shot, depending on the situation.

Also, I suppose if you’re doing a landscape/still life shot or something on a tripod and you want to focus on a specific thing that isn’t in the middle of your frame being able moving your focus point could be handy

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

President Beep posted:

Not sure how true this is, but I’ve heard it said that focusing and recomposing can throw off your focal plane enough to screw up your shot, depending on the situation.

This is true, especially if you're shooting very narrow apertures wide open like f/1.4 handheld, picking that right focus point can be crucial. Also for things like tracking moving subjects where you can't recompose on the spot.

President Beep posted:

Also, I suppose if you’re doing a landscape/still life shot or something on a tripod and you want to focus on a specific thing that isn’t in the middle of your frame being able moving your focus point could be handy

I've just been using live view a lot when using a tripod. That ability to focus and shoot by tapping the touchscreen is veeeery nice

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

President Beep posted:

Having the camera locked in was one of my caveats, and I've used the joystick to set focus points for still macro shots for stacking.
Using servo AF was another caveat, but I don't think you'd be selecting focus points with the joystick for that application (tracking movement) either.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

joat mon posted:

Having the camera locked in was one of my caveats, and I've used the joystick to set focus points for still macro shots for stacking.
Using servo AF was another caveat, but I don't think you'd be selecting focus points with the joystick for that application (tracking movement) either.

You can still select a range of focus points with servo mode though, right? Servo mode's something I've only used a few times since I mostly do still subjects, but I should probably play with it a bit before I go birding.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes.. I tend to use the center focus points with servo, it's not smart enough to focus on something you care about (ie, eyes) when it has freedom to use all af points. But if you lock it to center and track the eyes yourself the success rate goes way up.

I pull zoom a little bit and shoot everything dead center so I have room to fix composition in post.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That’s what I do but I also mainly do sports.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
The better half, after learning about manual mode, is really keen on upgrading our t5i for something a bit better. I think we're likely ok to wait for a year or so...but Mother's day is coming and it'd be a neat treat. Is the 80D the next step? We have all the standard kit lenses from the t5i, but also a nifty-fifty and a sigma 30mm f1.4, so they should all carry over nicely. All I'd need is the body, battery(maybe 2) and charger, right?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

The better half, after learning about manual mode, is really keen on upgrading our t5i for something a bit better. I think we're likely ok to wait for a year or so...but Mother's day is coming and it'd be a neat treat. Is the 80D the next step? We have all the standard kit lenses from the t5i, but also a nifty-fifty and a sigma 30mm f1.4, so they should all carry over nicely. All I'd need is the body, battery(maybe 2) and charger, right?

Yep the 80D is the next step, it’s the current model in that advanced amateur spot and it’s quite good.

If you want to upgrade, all you’ll need to do is buy the body only kit. That’ll have the battery and charger included. Probably don’t need a second battery right away, they last pretty well on these midrange cameras.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like a 2nd battery is a good idea. You won’t need it until you do.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I really need to pick one or two up as well. What’s the preferred third party brand again? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times but I’ll be damned if I can remember.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve done entire sports shooting days (auto races, junior high track and field meets) filling up 16gb SD cards without having to change the battery in my 60D.

It’s a good idea if you’re serious, but it’s not necessarily a priority for everyone.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It's good to have a secondary battery if you're an idiot like me who forgets to put the battery back after charging it when you leave the house

this is also true for memory cards

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Thanks for the confirmation. I see they’re marked down at the moment... is there a new model coming? Or should I jump now if I’m going to? Wanted to catch a sale if I could.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It's good to have a secondary battery if you're an idiot like me who forgets to put the battery back after charging it when you leave the house

this is also true for memory cards

This. It’s more about redundancy if you gently caress up or the battery breaks.

About brands, I think pearstone and wasabi are ok, right?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This. It’s more about redundancy if you gently caress up or the battery breaks.

About brands, I think pearstone and wasabi are ok, right?

Wasabi! That’s the one I’ve seen mentioned before.

:waycool:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

President Beep posted:

I really need to pick one or two up as well. What’s the preferred third party brand again? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times but I’ll be damned if I can remember.

Sterlingtek is the brand I've used for the last 12 years or so. I used them with my olympus and then my canon dslrs. They've been around a while and their batteries are usually sold in a 2 pack and $15 each or less. Zero issues, they usually have the same or higher capacity than the original.

For full day weddings (8-10 hours) that I shot 1k photos, I usually had a battery grip with two batteries and I never ran out during the day. I have wasabi batteries for my gopro and I've never had issues with them either.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Thanks for the confirmation. I see they’re marked down at the moment... is there a new model coming? Or should I jump now if I’m going to? Wanted to catch a sale if I could.

https://youtu.be/baHqjUrykTU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I watched that before I got a screaming deal on the t5. :v: I’m just trying to figure out if I should wait out a bit for more markdowns, or jump on the current “sale” price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Verman posted:

2 pack and $15 each or less.

Nice. I haven’t really priced anything yet because there’s so much sketchy stuff out there. This seems pretty drat good.