Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol at waiting until markets closed for a long weekend before announcing a safety recall. musk is definitely a very ethical businessman who cares about his customers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

:bisonyes:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do you recall vehicles that were hand-delivered to each US address and have no dealerships nationwide to service them?

"Set your Tesla to Autopilot and it will drive itself back to New Jersey" ?

:rip:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
uh I mean tesla has dozens of showrooms and stores

which isn't really like the infrastructure required nor is it up to the task, but I think "hand delivered and no brick and mortar network" is a bit extreme

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
premarket is up 250 somehow

how

capitalism makes no fuckin sense cmon where are all these rational actors

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

anime was right posted:

premarket is up 250 somehow

how

capitalism makes no fuckin sense cmon where are all these rational actors

It's bots trading with bots all the way down.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zil posted:

It's bots trading with bots all the way down.

eco 101 promised me rational actors!!!! how could this be wrong!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
in the brief moments I’ve been stoned this week I’ve been trying to puzzle out if maybe Wall Street were the first ones to realize nothing matters and the market will never crash

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

What do you call a socialized bank though

"politicians' slush fund"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

in the brief moments I’ve been stoned this week I’ve been trying to puzzle out if maybe Wall Street were the first ones to realize nothing matters and the market will never crash

I think even if investors correctly recognize that the price of a stock has very very very little to do with reality, the (personal) debt crisis is going to catch up with the stock market sooner or later

So many people are underwater these days on debt and even more are utterly unable to bring up enough money to pay an unexpected expense

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think even if investors correctly recognize that the price of a stock has very very very little to do with reality, the (personal) debt crisis is going to catch up with the stock market sooner or later

So many people are underwater these days on debt and even more are utterly unable to bring up enough money to pay an unexpected expense

yes but what if they carefully segue back into feudalism

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we're totally going to have this amazing convo about how wall st bankers are total masterminds then the entire market is going to crash when bezos buys twitter and trump outlaws amazon.com

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they were definitely the first ones to realize nothing matters- second point is irrelevant

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

etalian posted:

lol

Because the company is ahead of its targets on the Tesla Model X and the Model S, the production of both models will be suspended for the rest of the week, Peter Hochholdinger, Tesla’s vice president of production, told employees in another memo. Instead, an “unlimited number” of employees will be given the option to work on the Model 3 line on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, he wrote, adding that employees will have to use paid vacation days or take unpaid time off if they don’t move to the Model 3 line. (Tesla told Bloomberg that the shutdown of the production of the Model X and the Model S are only happening on Friday, and not Thursday and Friday, and aren’t related to Model 3 production targets.)

loving lmao

goodness a boatload of people unfamiliar with the processes involved with a model they don't normally work on crowd a line

hard to imagine anything going wrong

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's a new paradigm!!!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I once asked a mod on another forum why he's so pessimistic about our ability to adapt to climate change. He said:

quote:

Because the science is more or less screaming that we've already stepped over the guard rail and all that is keeping the cliff from falling away from under our feet is the kuduz.

Because if every country on Earth actually made its Paris goals the result will be a base +3C. Base +3C is disaster, probably irreversible levels of warming that will, best case, either kill the better part of a billion people via famine or via a series of hot wars over dwindling fresh water resources.

Because we have 7.6 BILLION humans living on a planet that has a natural carrying capacity of about one billion without massive technological support that is reliant on massive carbon emissions.

Because people don't elect scientifically literate leaders in the Liberal Democracies, dictators in the 3rd world don't care, the CCP is saying one thing while burning more coal than the rest of the planet combined,and the Kremlin sees climate chance as a way to get more oil to skim profits.

Because I know that there are some members here who will be alive when the Florida Keys and Bangladesh are discussed in the past tense.

There are others, including the fact that while individual humans are very smart in groups they are about half a step over the lower primates on the common sense scale.

I find several flaws in his arguement. I'm not the only one thinking this, right?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

goodness a boatload of people unfamiliar with the processes involved with a model they don't normally work on crowd a line

elon has asked us to go to our backyard furnaces and create battery electric vehicles

i'm going to melt down my chicken wire and empty beer cans to help the effort

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Grouchio posted:

I once asked a mod on another forum why he's so pessimistic about our ability to adapt to climate change. He said:

I find several flaws in his arguement. I'm not the only one thinking this, right?

6 billion people are gonna die. move someplace cold, op.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

anime was right posted:

6 billion people are gonna die. move someplace cold, op.
I live in Maine

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it is not going to happen overnight

the elderly will die of heatstroke in the hottest parts of the world

droughts will cause mass famines that we dont track. places the size of counties will either die or revolt.

natural disasters will absolutely devestate places that cannot build back up, leaving millions unable to find anyplace to live. they will migrate to more habitable reagions.

these instabilities will lead to wars over land and immigration. there will be extreme levels of racism and xenophobia. entire swaths of places will become hypernationalist and allow for dictatorships out of fear of losing their precious limited resources.

people will be shot dead. bombs will be dropped. camps will be made.

"want to live? be a slave or die"

most of us will be insulated. we will probably watch this happen. we might be affected by internal conflicts. the largest superpowers will battle over whats inhabitable, though.

then, when theres maybe a billion of us left all huddled up in canada and russia, we'll probably make amends with whats common between the sustainable population we have. then we might reverse this garbage.

but boy howdy, there's a lot of people out there. when you're old and in your rocker, odds are good you'll be swept away in a tornado of wind or hate.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
balls

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

loving lmao

if there’s ever been a corporate equivalent of a hail mary pass this is it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i love the people that think canadia will be made more habitable by climate change somehow

because north = cold and climate change means +heat everywhere right

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i love the people that think canadia will be made more habitable by climate change somehow

how hard can it be to run industrial scale agriculture off an inch of soil laid over bedrock

probably easy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah global warming is gonna gently caress us all up

you realize that its already happening? in our backyard? to fellow americans? puerto rico was leveled by a hurricane that got supercharged by global warming. many many people died (the old and infirm and other vulnerable people who always die first in natural disasters as well as a bunch of others due to infections) due to lack of access to food, water, medicine, etc. we dont know how many people were killed by the hurricane because theres blatant undercounting (if this were happening in russia or china the media would be calling it a government coverup). hundreds of thousands of people are still without electricity. this is all due to global warming, is happening to americans, and it is only made worse by the fact that the government just doesnt _do_ disaster response anymore (this is of course is an expression of the same phenomenon where the government has decided it just wont do anything to mitigate global warming) because the ruling ideology is unable to conceive of a government that serves society effectively

basically imagine a katrina, sandy, or maria except every year instead of every five years and with the same amount of government non-response to get a picture of what the next decade or two will look like. that's the low end of how bad it could get

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

everything else will be desert or underwater so yeah hope you can figure out how to farm a yam out of a stone (we should all probably move to montana)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm gonna poo poo on Elon musk some more
Hot take: he's probably one of the worst managers in history

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

I can’t wait till the coastal real estate market collapses when rich people wake up one day and go “oh gently caress climate change is real”

quote:

Some analysts say the economic impact of a collapse in the waterfront property market could surpass that of the bursting dot-com and real estate bubbles of 2000 and 2008.

like I know Miami property is a bunch of Russians laundering money, but who the hell in their right mind is buying property in Miami Beach

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

permafrost gonna melt and unfreeze a village with shitloads of smallpox that's gonna gently caress our poo poo up

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Haha Grouchio's getting climate-told

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Agronox posted:

elon has asked us to go to our backyard furnaces and create battery electric vehicles

i'm going to melt down my chicken wire and empty beer cans to help the effort

lol

I will join in the eradication of the four pests: bicyclists, jay-walkers, traffic cones, and inattentive golden retrievers

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unrelated to the topic at hand: someday i hope we have a president who opposes things like the at&t/time warner merger and the overreach of amazon based on "it's not good to have constant media mergers and giant companies that control an increasing amount of every part of the market" instead of "these people own things that hurt my feelings and i'm the biggest, gayest baby in the history of big, gay babies"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Lokar posted:

I can’t wait till the coastal real estate market collapses when rich people wake up one day and go “oh gently caress climate change is real”

see that's the best part though! these people will never actually see the consequences of all this

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

see that's the best part though! these people will never actually see the consequences of all this

ww2 was big enough for rich peeps to face some consequences

if its a billion peeps, then that's saying it'll be 20 times as big as ww2

the many nukes aimed at manhattan shanghai and st petersburg will vaporize rich and poor alike

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
pretty sure tech is never leaving the bay area and might actually build arcologies.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Grognan posted:

pretty sure tech is never leaving the bay area and might actually build arcologies.
it's a shame, i want nothing more than for tech to collapse and for the assholes that killed the culture of san francisco to get into bum fights every day. also i'm glad Ed Lee died while going grocery shopping

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grognan posted:

The local district board will reject the arcologies development application for blocking a neighborhood views.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
This age will go down like the Bronze Age, with a perfect storm of interrelated crises merging into a catyclysm. The world economy is interconnected enough that the first world will collapse along with the third.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

Grognan posted:

Arcologies are right at the intersection of cool sci-fi, sustainability, and building a private superbunker to keep out all undesirables aside from your housekeeper's family, that one contractor who helped you do a multi-million dollar renovation, and your plane mechanics.

So basically bioshock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pick up the pace
Dec 7, 2009

this is good for bitcoin telsa