Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

i tend to do potato farm with hoppers/cart round the outside which usually produces waaay too much mana and I end up using the red flux block to turn mana into RF

What we need is a flower that can take RF and turn it into mana
or that we can pipe mana out of pools and into liquid storage in AE or even Bedrockium Drums

That used to be my go to as well. But there has beena change to the gourm, where it gets diminishing returns from eating the same thing?

At least my last attempt in MSB2 was running at a negative :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The pumpkin > cake > kekimurus setup also...wasn't super effective for me unless you left it alone for a really long time or needed very little mana.

You can't force pumpkin growth with bonemeal, and then without a boosted celestial collector crystal it wasn't very effective either, taking a few minutes to transmute a pumpkin. And after all that the mana didn't seem amazing. I'm going to try again just shooting it into a pool directly rather than distributed via sparks and see if I was just incurring losses, but I tore down my whole base to rebuild it so my botania stuff is still in a chest.

Gourmaryllis definitely needs at least alternating food sources, and that's much more difficult to time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thanks to Black Pants' advice, I've reworked my Botania setup a bit.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the splitter divides the mana from the flowers evenly between the two pools, and the sparks will "wirelessly" transmit the mana to blocks/items that need mana to function, right?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The kekimurus really comes into its own in MSB3 when you unlock Chickens. There's a joke chicken that makes cake that you get from quest reward loot boxes. Breed it up to 10/10/10, put it in a roost, and use an auto-placer to place the cake you hopper out of the roost.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

The phantom ingredients are just the list of the last stuff put in there; it only accepts items pumped into it that you've placed in there manually.

And yes the alchemical table is supposed to use the catalyst yield numbers. Primus alchemy dust is 75%, so you get 75% of an output for each set of inputs. The amount of output you get is based on the recipe though.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying?

Getting 75% of an output is one of the dumbest things I've seen in modded minecraft. Is there a way around that? Can you put a block of glass in there for the no-result output and then start using the ingredients for the recipe you want? (edit: yes, yes I can. This is incredibly dumb.)
No way to fix this via config. I get to enjoy a nonsense percentage with the next tier of catalyst too. 175%? Really?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thanks to Black Pants' advice, I've reworked my Botania setup a bit.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the splitter divides the mana from the flowers evenly between the two pools, and the sparks will "wirelessly" transmit the mana to blocks/items that need mana to function, right?

Yes and yes. A pair of normal sparks (one on the pool, one on the plate) will fill your terrasteel plate much much faster than a spreader and is really the only way you'd ever want to do it.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 28, 2018

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

Getting 75% of an output is one of the dumbest things I've seen in modded minecraft. Is there a way around that? Can you put a block of glass in there for the no-result output and then start using the ingredients for the recipe you want?
No way to fix this via config. I get to enjoy a nonsense percentage with the next tier of catalyst too. 175%? Really?

Yeah it stops being a problem pretty quickly. You can get to secundus dust pretty fast and then from there it stops being a thing really. But it's not like there isn't any precedent - fuel like sticks won't smelt a whole thing/etc.

If you're in MSB3, you can get up to tertius dust before leaving the first couple quests, and then from there just keep making more of it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah it stops being a problem pretty quickly. You can get to secundus dust pretty fast and then from there it stops being a thing really. But it's not like there isn't any precedent - fuel like sticks won't smelt a whole thing/etc.

If you're in MSB3, you can get up to tertius dust before leaving the first couple quests, and then from there just keep making more of it.

Using insufficient fuel won't consume the item. There is no precedent.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

Using insufficient fuel won't consume the item. There is no precedent.

Fine, fine, just move past it. SkyResources is still a ton better than Ex Nihilo in my opinion either way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Getting 75% of an output is one of the dumbest things I've seen in modded minecraft. Is there a way around that? Can you put a block of glass in there for the no-result output and then start using the ingredients for the recipe you want? (edit: yes, yes I can. This is incredibly dumb.)
You can, and putting in the extra effort to micro-manage it will save you some resources in the long run. Glass is a good bet because you'll always need crystals. Secundus makes it a bit less important and by the time you reach the third tier (if you do, really) then you'l be long past the point of caring.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

The way it works is a progress bar. With Primus, one set of ingredients are consumed for 75% progress. Then the next will bring it to 125% progress. the 100% is taken away as an output, leaving you with 25% progress for the next set of ingredients.

With Secundus, one set of ingredients gives you an output and leaves 75% progress on the bar. Then the next is 75+175, for 250, so you get two outputs and 50 remaining. And then the next is 50+175, so two outputs and 25 remaining, and then 25+175 gives you two outputs and the cycle resets.

Then with Tertius it's 450% and you're getting 4 outputs minimum.

Though, upgrading your Condenser means it uses fewer alchemical dust for more outputs so you don't really need to carefully mete out your alchemical catalyst use as you might think, and using secundus or tertius as the catalyst for -making- your catalysts makes it absolutely poo poo out tons of the stuff so it might be confusing at first but it quickly snowballs into being nothing to worry about.

Also as a tip, if any of metals you're using the condenser to make has an ore, you can have a mechanical placer or auto-placer or whatever place stone blocks in the space where the liquid glass would go, and it'll use that instead to make ore blocks, though less efficiently. (not less efficiently enough to matter)

(The 'outputs' term I keep using is based on the recipe. Like, one set of ingredients for secundus dust might give you 5 secundus. Using Secundus as the catalyst for that will give you 5, and then 10, and then 10, and then 10, and then 5 and so on.)

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 29, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holy poo poo. If you are at all put off by exploration gating, do NOT play SevTech. It took me hours to find a rock crystal spawn. That isn't an exaggeration.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

Also as a tip, if any of metals you're using the condenser to make has an ore, you can have a mechanical placer or auto-placer or whatever place stone blocks in the space where the liquid glass would go, and it'll use that instead to make ore blocks, though less efficiently. (not less efficiently enough to matter)

The benefit here is that you can take advantage of ore doubling/etc and you might end up ahead.

On the other hand, with an Endstone Condenser and Endstone casing I can turn one copper alchemical dust into something like a thousand ingots, so I'd rather not have to build extra stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Due to the way the numbers shake out, making ore consumes as much time and reagant as making two ingots. If you are doing better than ore doubling, then go for it. However, most ore tripling or better devices require additional material inputs, or are just plain slow. By the time you're able to take advantage of ore trip/quad/quintupling, you should have at minimum tertius and a very fast condenser, which will let you crank out ingots.

Most people who go for the ore are just bad at automating crystal fluid, or otherwise are avoiding it because it's different.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey there's being bad at automating crystal fluid, and then there's being lazy about it.

It -is- how you get iron ore for starmetal though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Alternatively it's far fewer steps involved to go from cobble->stone than it is to cobble->gravel->sand->glass->crystal->crystal fluid.

After a point I went the rock washing route and barely condensed any metals.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

Alternatively it's far fewer steps involved to go from cobble->stone than it is to cobble->gravel->sand->glass->crystal->crystal fluid.

After a point I went the rock washing route and barely condensed any metals.

Cobble -> sand with alchemy catalyst, then glass. Later, Material Stonework Factory.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've recently updated to 1.10.2 "All The Mods" (from 1.7.10) and MCEdit 1.5 seems to break the save (luckily I always backup first)

I tried MCEdit 2 and I can't even get it to run. It says I have to download minecraft. What, is it not compatible with Technic?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Alternately if you have astral sorcery, Liquid Starlight meeting Lava makes sand and every once in a while aquamarine ore, and it regens incredibly fast.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey remember the other day when I was asking about a way to mute endermen?

I just found out about this mod, which lets you mute specific noises. I don't know if you could just dump this in MSB3, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Another Sevtech question: Where the hell is the aquamarine? It says it's in "the top of the caves" in the Beneath but that's incredibly vague. It doesn't even give me a y-range. I went up about as high as I can go without just nerdpoling to the bedrock max-height and there's no sign of it. I searched pretty widely (and my dowsing rod doesn't seem to find anything) until I finally said hell with it and flew around in creative mode just so I'd know what I was looking for, but even there (and going to max height) I couldn't find any.
Where specifically should I be looking?

e: Answering my own question.
Just said hell with it and installed an x-ray mod so I could get an idea of where it spawns. It looks like it's all over, in clusters of maybe 4-8 ore, relatively common, starting at y=150 and going to the ceiling. So pretty high up there.

e2: Having finally found some I can confirm the dowsing rod (at least the first tier you get, not sure about later ones?) does not detect aquamarine ore.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 29, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I don't think the dowsing rod can find aquamarine. I also resorted to flying around but I did find some sticking out of the ceiling. I did also see some in the walls a few blocks below that height. It's there but it is a massive pain to get to since said ceiling is like 200 blocks up and darkness hurts you there.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Here, have some Better than Mods hilarious reading straight from a contributor to the mod and Better with Addons. From the SevTech Ages discord.

quote:

Ambaire - Today at 6:32 PM
Bord, are you saying you made the better with mods .. mod?

Bord Listian - Today at 6:32 PM
anyway, the clutchbox came after i made a bunch of changes to make it technically possible to do any redstone thing with only the mechanical system
Bord Listian - Today at 6:33 PM
i contribute to better with mods and i made better with addons

Ambaire - Today at 6:33 PM
may I ask why the animal breeding harness is a thing?

to keep animals in place
so you can place them suspended on pillars and feed them automatically and their offspring will be placed between them
it's also a gimp suit lol

Ambaire - Today at 6:34 PM
it's just the weirdest loving item i've ever seen in a minecraft mod. has a very sex dungeony feel

Bord Listian - Today at 6:34 PM
so it's hilarious
it's ancient
BWM is a Better than Wolves recreation

Mnemocynic - Today at 6:35 PM
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
lol

Bord Listian - Today at 6:35 PM
and Better than Wolves is full of things with questionable morality like that
(it has an actual gimp suit armor)(edited)

Ambaire - Today at 6:36 PM
is that the wet leather armor option?

Bord Listian - Today at 6:36 PM
nah the tanned leather armor looks normal
iirc it was like a secret armor in btw

Mnemocynic - Today at 6:36 PM
secret lenny armor

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ahaha animal gimp suit is hilarious, ok-hand emoticon.

Weirder but still somehow less obnoxious than the IC2 wiki.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

(SevTech) The weak dowsing rod specifically cannot find aquamarine ore. It's just not on the whitelist for whatever reason. I put in a bug report, hopefully it'll get fixed.

The tough dowsing rod you can make in age 2 can find it just fine.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
To anyone playing TC6: how do I get Vitium? Do Tainted Lands still generate? Are Flux Crystals just random chance? Or will I have to pollute a chunk myself?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know what's going on with that MFR port that apparently is waiting for Skyboy's approval?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

To anyone playing TC6: how do I get Vitium? Do Tainted Lands still generate? Are Flux Crystals just random chance? Or will I have to pollute a chunk myself?

If it's anything like TC5 (the 1.8 version) you'll have to pollute a chunk yourself. In TC5 that was just a matter of finding an out of the way place, setting up a crucible, then dumping like 40 stacks of cobblestone in or some poo poo.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody know what's going on with that MFR port that apparently is waiting for Skyboy's approval?

Still waiting on skyboy. Don't expect it to happen soon.

https://github.com/skyboy/MineFactoryReloaded
https://github.com/P3pp3rF1y/MineFactoryReloaded/tree/1.12.x

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I finished Vib Rib's Technodefirmacraft EZ (or whatever it's called), it was dope! Thanks Vib Rib.

The shack in the middle was the house but the back wall eventually got ripped out as I outgrew the TFC crafting set-up. Immersive Engineering is super fun and by the time I got Mekanism running it was already obsolete. Past the few days, food was not really an issue. Fishing when on long boat expedition shot up my butchery skill and one animal killed gave me literally years worth of meat; especially with the cellar and drying. I stopped bothering with farming after a while because I had way too much food. The only issue I ran into was the arc furnace just completely hoovering up electricity so I relied on using coal power much more often when possible. Overall this was a dope modpack; I went from scrounging around for sticks and stones to building a tiny steel factory.

Also it's adorable when animals just run up to you when you have grain:

I ran LV wire everywhere instead of bother upgrading. It was good enough for the most part:

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 30, 2018

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Starting factory tech in msb3

how do i get the magnetizer to do anything?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's dead and gay, use Industrial Foregoing instead.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

It's dead and gay, use Industrial Foregoing instead.

was about to post that i need it to progress, but it seems i dont. Looks like ill creative in a stack and call it done.

Edit

And how am i meant to power the display stands on my empowerer? I have an oil gen set up, but no power cables?

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 30, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bouchacha posted:

I finished Vib Rib's Technodefirmacraft EZ (or whatever it's called), it was dope! Thanks Vib Rib.

Eyyy, thanks! Really glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the trip report and screenshots.
The original TNFC didn't have much in the way of endgame; by the time you reach that point it just goes "eh, colored steel? have fun" and fucks off, so I did my best to bolster the end out a little bit though it still goes by pretty fast when you have your tools.

I had a lot of the same conclusions as you, including that food was generally plentiful (on a singleplayer game, anyway) and I had more fun making precise sandwiches and salads than actually worrying about starving. Also don't think I ever used above LV wire, since the most advanced poo poo you can do in the game is still pretty low tech by most mod standards. Weird to think that ore doubling/tripling, which is so fundamental to so many packs, is nearly the final endgame here.
Anyway, thanks again for taking the time. :wave:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Starting factory tech in msb3

how do i get the magnetizer to do anything?

Attach lever, hold down right click to repeatedly toggle it on and off.

Meskhenet posted:

And how am i meant to power the display stands on my empowerer? I have an oil gen set up, but no power cables?

Unlock Immersive Engineering.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just reached the Betweenlands in Sevtech and holy poo poo this is a cool mod, even just atmospherically. Between all the ambient sounds and environment setting, plus the mods that add fancier effects to particles and the like, it really emphasizes how pretty vanilla Minecraft could be even with its low res textures and blocky graphics.

The weedwood tools seem to be repairable, much like stone tools can be repaired with cobblestone, because they don't disappear when they run out of durability and just get marked "broken". But I suspect it's a config problem/bug because I can't figure out what material is supposed to repair them, because it sure isn't weedwood logs/planks/sticks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Be extremely careful in the Betweenlands until you get its bed. When you die, you get sent to god knows where, without a map or any clue where your portal is. You do get the death compass as usual in SevTech, but the swamp surface is way too dangerous to travel without equipment.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
I forgot how disorienting it is to play MC without a minimap when you have a bad sense of direction. I'm terrified of getting lost.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of minimaps, Antique Atlas is a really good mod and strikes a great balance between Minecraft's world-appropriate but terribly useless maps and things like Journeymap which are comprehensive and powerful but not integrated.
The maps it produces are really drat cool and I love the style, plus the custom marking system helps things a lot. Really just a good mod, A+.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Speaking of minimaps, Antique Atlas is a really good mod and strikes a great balance between Minecraft's world-appropriate but terribly useless maps and things like Journeymap which are comprehensive and powerful but not integrated.
The maps it produces are really drat cool and I love the style, plus the custom marking system helps things a lot. Really just a good mod, A+.

Yeah, agreed. In SevTech Age 2, there's an optional quest to unlock journeymap, but I'm not even sure I'll bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, agreed. In SevTech Age 2, there's an optional quest to unlock journeymap, but I'm not even sure I'll bother.
I'd probably want it just to be able to check coordinates/biomes and make very specific or underground markers, at the least. And maybe just to get a clearer image at last of the area I've been living in all this time. I doubt I'll be using its minimap though.