Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Field Mousepad posted:

The only reason I would play a console version is for the nemesis stuff. But that's not quite enough to get me to switch over.

Didn't know this was a thing. Would be neat but I don't feel like I'm missing much.

People may bitch about the GUI but I've never had any issues with it. It's fine :shrug:. I understand you may need to sway people to play the tiniest niche in D3 (xbone and HC, lol), but holy poo poo let it go.

Dameius posted:

How is this any different from PC?

Also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Larrymer posted:

People may bitch about the GUI but I've never had any issues with it. It's fine :shrug:. I understand you may need to sway people to play the tiniest niche in D3 (xbone and HC, lol), but holy poo poo let it go.

Xbone HC is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In Xbone HC you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the Xbone HC motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm new, but I don't understand how someone could play Hardcore in this game. I can't count how many deaths I've had where I've been one-shotting every enemy for a half hour straight, and suddenly I get one hit killed and I don't even know where the attack came from. The rage that would bring me if I just lost a character I've put dozens of hours into is unimaginable.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

RCarr posted:

I'm new, but I don't understand how someone could play Hardcore in this game. I can't count how many deaths I've had where you've been one-shotting every enemy for a half hour straight, and suddenly you get one hit killed and you don't even know where the attack came from. The rage that would bring me if I just lost a character I've put dozens of hours into is unimaginable.

either you chuckle and start another toon or you glass your monitor with your mouse. if you know which one you'd do then you know if hc is for you or not

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

RCarr posted:

I'm new, but I don't understand how someone could play Hardcore in this game. I can't count how many deaths I've had where I've been one-shotting every enemy for a half hour straight, and suddenly I get one hit killed and I don't even know where the attack came from. The rage that would bring me if I just lost a character I've put dozens of hours into is unimaginable.

I didn't do HC until this season and now I've got a 90GR capable monk going

You build your equipment much differently in the start and use different skills. It forces you to pay attention to your cheat death and other toughness procs, and really just understand how the mechanics of the game work. I lost a dude initially who had all my set gifts and some ancients, but you just learn and move on. It's fairly fun tbqh, and I talked a lot of poo poo on HC earlier.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dameius posted:

How is this any different from PC?

i was just postin dawg

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, it's really dependent on how easy-come, easy-go you look at the game. Neither perspective is objectively better than the other, it's just a difference in style.

I'll even admit that the "one mistake is all I get" aspect has allure, but the re-gearing and etc. would drive me up a wall, so I don't. More power to the people that enjoy that though!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

boar guy posted:

either you chuckle and start another toon or you glass your monitor with your mouse. if you know which one you'd do then you know if hc is for you or not

Oh I certainly know it is not for me.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Losing a character I've spent hours leveling and gearing to a lag spike that is completely beyond my control would piss me off.

So sc fo life

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Losing a character I've spent hours leveling and gearing to a lag spike that is completely beyond my control would piss me off.

So sc fo life

that's why I don't hc. i can stand loving up and losing all that time if it's my fault but if a lag spike killed me i'd be bent

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i was just postin dawg

Werd dawg, there wasn't any ill will meant there. Intent/tone got lost in translation over the net.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
lmao I lost a GR80 monk in HC because my loving controller died.

noted bonx super star GoGo got me back to L70 in about 15 minutes because of our superior teraflops and I had about half the build squirreled away already as spares so maybe another 3-4 hours total to get back to GR80? I've been playing this stupid rear end game since drat near launch so its not like I'll ever see anything new and HC is a super fun way to play the game completely differently (gently caress the swamp). I honestly don't know why i wasn't playing hc sooner and when the season starts coming to a close we're all pretty committed to doing a lighting fast GR push to kill off our dudes because gently caress non season forever

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

boar guy posted:

that's why I don't hc. i can stand loving up and losing all that time if it's my fault but if a lag spike killed me i'd be bent

"Losing time" isn't something I ever feel. The time I spend playing the game is fun, so it's time well spent. I am investing time in the experience of playing the game, not having a character.

I understand deriving fun from steady and permanent character progression and I think it's totally valid to enjoy that part. But ppl playing hardcore probably aren't as into that and that's all I'm trying to point out

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Tiny Niches are rad.

You don't see Lambo drivers trying to sway the Honda Civics to join them :smugdon:

PC players will get a more budget friendly option for trying the console lifestyle when the Switch version launches, but maaaan I hope they don't do a classic Nintendo blunder and have it be vanilla D3 or low enemy density

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
They call it the Nintendo switch because when you get one you do a 360 and switch back to your other console

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
dont you ruin this dream for me. i want to diablo at my desk at work.

:negative:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A Hardcore character is just a mini Season of its own. Everybody likes seasons, right?

Except when the season ends, you don't have to slog from 1 to 70 and hunt down 9 supporting legendaries.

You just allocate your 800 paragon points, hit up the Stash and put on some fresh new gear like Iron Man slipping on the MkIV model and get to eating rear end Pronto

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

get to eating rear end Pronto

This is pretty much my philosophy in real life and is largely responsible for the success I've enjoyed in my career as well as relationships.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
also, playing like retard in HC means gem goblins are always super Cool and Good.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was doing a bounty and I came into a room filled with treasure/gem/shard/etc goblins. Like 10+ of them all together. Is this a random thing, or what?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

RCarr posted:

I was doing a bounty and I came into a room filled with treasure/gem/shard/etc goblins. Like 10+ of them all together. Is this a random thing, or what?

It's pretty rare, but yes this is a thing (in rifts only I thought). Bandit shrines are similar, but don't spawn in rifts.

I will buy and play the poo poo out of the switch release if it ever happens. Still think I would do seasons on my PC though since online communication on a Nintendo console will be a joke.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

My SC seasonal character is getting close to the end of the journey and I’m bored enough to consider trying HC seasonal. I won’t be eligible for Haedrig’s gift because I already used one for SC, right? Any suggestions on picking a character for babby’s first HC experience?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

mentalcontempt posted:

My SC seasonal character is getting close to the end of the journey and I’m bored enough to consider trying HC seasonal. I won’t be eligible for Haedrig’s gift because I already used one for SC, right? Any suggestions on picking a character for babby’s first HC experience?

Witch doctor gets the cheat death at level 30, which is nice and low. And at level 1 (assuming you can do the Challenge Rift still) you can gamble your blood shards for a Mojo and it's guaranteed to be something that amps your spirit barrage way the hell up.

Crusader is also a good choice for how tanky it is, and you can get a Denial shield at level 1 with the same trick and do lol huge damage right off the bat.

Monk has the most powerful level 1 cheese (lashing tail kick boots) but gets the cheat death at like 58, which can be spooky

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Larrymer posted:

It's pretty rare, but yes this is a thing (in rifts only I thought). Bandit shrines are similar, but don't spawn in rifts.

It certainly might have been in a rift. Thanks for the info!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I ran through the Act 1 bounties about 5 times last night because I had a little time to kill. On my last run, I got my RoRG I had been looking for. Immediately after that, I went to spend my blood shards before turning the game off and got a Vengeful Wind. Praise RNGesus! I'm well on my way to gearing up my Wave of Light Monk.

Bolded is what I still need

Helm: Tzo Krin's Gaze
Shoulders: Sunwuko's
Gloves: Sunwuko's
Chest: Sunwuko's
Belt: Witching Hour / Kyoshiro's Soul
Pants: Sunwuko's
Boots: The Crudest Boots
Bracers: Pinto's Pride
Amulet: Sunwuko's
Ring 1: Focus
Ring 2: Restraint
Weapon: Kyoshiro's Blade
Offhand: Vengeful Wind

I'm super addicted to this game. :)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It's a real fun game. I switch between seasonal HC and nonseason SC depending on what kind of progression I'm in the mood for. Usually I burn out after a couple weeks but I've played almost every day since the new season started and still love it

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

RCarr posted:

So I ran through the Act 1 bounties about 5 times last night because I had a little time to kill. On my last run, I got my RoRG I had been looking for. Immediately after that, I went to spend my blood shards before turning the game off and got a Vengeful Wind. Praise RNGesus! I'm well on my way to gearing up my Wave of Light Monk.

Upgrade rare items in the cube instead of using blood shards on weapons (same with jewelry), it's more efficient. That's quite surprising you actually got what you wanted doing it that way. :v: Otherwise, enjoy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Upgrade rare items in the cube instead of using blood shards on weapons (same with jewelry), it's more efficient. That's quite surprising you actually got what you wanted doing it that way. :v: Otherwise, enjoy.

Good to know! Thank you.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's a real fun game. I switch between seasonal HC and nonseason SC depending on what kind of progression I'm in the mood for. Usually I burn out after a couple weeks but I've played almost every day since the new season started and still love it

Yeah I usually play HC until I rip (or don't, half the time, if I don't dc).

This time I RIP'd 4 GR80 barbs all in the span of 3 days (after going strong since S13 start, which is why I'd collected 4 GR80 sets) and was quite the blow even to a veteran HC player. By now I'd have put it away but somehow I have an MS and Impale DH at GR90+ in softcore :iiam:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What does each additional stack of sweeping wind do for me?

Also should I roll my weapons so they have a socket, or should I aim for something else? I have Kyoshiro’s Blade and Vengeful Wind. I also have the Ramalamadingdong’s gift which lets me socket a weapon without rolling?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 30, 2018

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

RCarr posted:

Also should I roll my weapons so they have a socket, or should I aim for something else? I have Kyoshiro’s Blade and Vengeful Wind. I also have the Ramalamadingdong’s gift which lets me socket a weapon without rolling?

With the Sunwuko set each stack of sweeping wind increases the damage of Wave of light, Lashing tail kick and tempest rush by 1,000% per stack.

Kyshiros soul(belt) means you never need to refresh your stacks. Vengeful wing adds 6-7 stacks for a maximum of ten.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/monk-sunwuko-wave-of-light-build-patch-2-6-1-season-13

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oh poo poo that is huge. Thank you!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Ramaladini's Gifts always tend to drop slow for me in seasons, so I usually hold out for my second weapon drop to use it. In my monk's case, that was when I got a wind with max orange text roll, even though it wasn't an ancient. By the time I farmed an ancient version that had max orange roll I'd found some more gifts to use.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

RCarr posted:

Always roll sockets(or gift them if they're really good) into your weapons and put emeralds in them. The +crit damage is a huge increase in your dps.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dameius posted:

Ramaladini's Gifts always tend to drop slow for me in seasons, so I usually hold out for my second weapon drop to use it. In my monk's case, that was when I got a wind with max orange text roll, even though it wasn't an ancient. By the time I farmed an ancient version that had max orange roll I'd found some more gifts to use.

I'm closing in on p700 and i've gotten two. both burned on my first monk which is now dead. :v:

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Wtf I'm P700 and have 10 in stash, used 5

How in the world did you only get 2? Sad imo

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

In fact, in all those P700 games, I always drop my gifts (because I have fuckin 10 and only ancients are upgrades) and NO ONE ever picks them up

So I presumed it wasn't unlikely most people around P700 had enough

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
This has been a really weird season for me. 2 total gifts and no primals at all.

mewse
May 2, 2006

646 paragon, one gift, 2 primals iirc

e: and I do one GR and get another gift lol. game detects complaining

mewse fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I had a gift in HC before I even hit 70. I'm 5xx and have another 6 stashed, used 1-2.