Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

shovelbum posted:

Is Disco the first trek ship to actually successfully fly into a cave?

edit: I mean the Pegasus took it one further and BECAME a cave but

They flew the D into the cave to find the Pegasus. Discovery is the first to successfully teleport with magical mushrooms into a cave I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The MSJ posted:

Apparently, according to Disco, Qo'nos is full of volcanic caves. There's like an entire Underdark inside the planet.

when I first heard their stupid description of Qo'nos, my dork-addled brain immediately went to "oh, great, now they're ripping off Space Battleship Yamato and making the Klingon homeworld into Gamilon??"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

There is a Memory Alpha entry for caves.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Cave

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
A cave, or cavern, is a hollow passage underground, usually with an opening to the surface. They are found on planets throughout the Milky Way Galaxy.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

There is a Memory Alpha entry for caves.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Cave

We've named more in this thread. I thought trek nerds were supposed to obsessively compile perfect lists with timecodes and everything. If I go to Memory Alpha I want to see a TTC (Time to Cave) list for every episode of every series not some halfassed incomplete list.

quote:

Native Americans often used caves as shelters during their vision quests. (VOY: "The Fight")

Oh hey. The single worst episode of television ever made apparently features caves? I wouldn't know because i skip it anytime I find myself watching Voyager.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 29, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I fell asleep to Voyager last night, and remember being bored by the episode "11:59" in my dream

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
11:59 is great because it shows how old the series is.

Janeway starts bragging about how her family was vital to the colonization of Mars and human spaceflight and Paris is like "Bitch, you never googled your family? None of you had poo poo to do with anything." She of course is surprised and decides to actually investigate her family she has been smugly bragging about for 40 years.

Turns out her ancestor hosed the owner of a bookstore. The end.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

oh yah i remember that episode where ancestor janeway smashes an uninsured family truckster into the back of another car and she gives a blow job to the guy so he doesnt call the cops on her

The General
Mar 4, 2007

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Oh hey. The single worst episode of television ever made apparently features caves? I wouldn't know because i skip it anytime I find myself watching Voyager.
The hell is wrong with you? The Fight is probably the best episode of Voyager. :colbert:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You guys know you can actually skip the theme song when watching a show? I still don't understand how this is some kind of deal breaker for everyone.

Even something with a great theme song like DS9 if you were binge watching surely you'd get tired of it after awhile.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

counterfeitsaint posted:

You guys know you can actually skip the theme song when watching a show? I still don't understand how this is some kind of deal breaker for everyone.

Even something with a great theme song like DS9 if you were binge watching surely you'd get tired of it after awhile.

That doesn't work on whatever Netflix app I'm using in my FireTV if there's a cold open.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the voyager trumpets are my text ring tone

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
It took Enterprise three whole episodes to get us into a cave.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

gizmojumpjet posted:

thats where they are all stoned as balls and trip says he wants to split t'pol in two.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
hmm same

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Gommtu was a flying cave

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

gizmojumpjet posted:

I don't remember if Encounter at Farpoint had caves but in the third episode of TNG Data explored one

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

The TOS pilot has them all beat. Pike gets right into the cave.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 29, 2018

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

They flew the D into the cave to find the Pegasus. Discovery is the first to successfully teleport with magical mushrooms into a cave I guess.

Oh yeah I forget that it went in there. I guess the Pegasus was also in a cave then.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's never anything interesting on the surface. The caves are where you want to look to find the good stuff.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FabioClone posted:

There's never anything interesting on the surface. The caves are where you want to look to find the good stuff.

Agreed. Stargate taught us that the surface of most planets just looks like temperate rain forest around Vancouver. Caves are way cooler.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

basic hitler posted:

i want these people to come into this thread and justify their BS

Would we even be able to understand their language?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yes. We have the means but it may take time to understand their idiom

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't remember if Encounter at Farpoint had caves

it did

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Does the inside of a space animal count as caves?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

They flew the D into the cave to find the Pegasus.

riker has flown the D into many caves of varying shapes sizes depths and degrees of dampness

The Human Crouton posted:

Would we even be able to understand their language?

even worse: if they come in here, they'll gonna infect us with that DNA rewriting virus from ENT and turn us into a long dead scurrying chirpy iguana ppl who hate ds9 and dream of returning to our ancestral city, which is inside..... a cave. and while we're in there, chirping to each other about how racist Sisko is, riker will enter the cave and smush us with the D

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

when you think about it, the enterprise itself is just an artificial cave in space.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

That thing where they create warmth in a cave by piling up rocks and shooting them with a phaser is pretty cool, at least.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

SNOT CORN posted:

Does the inside of a space animal count as caves?

but seriously, enough posts about cunselor troi

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Would anyone mind posting the TAS gif of Kirk having a wizard battle with the Quaker Oats guy?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Did TAS have caves?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Inescapable Duck posted:

Did TAS have caves?

Yeah, and also western sets and whatever other sets were available in the studio at the time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TOS is the Plato of caves because while all the others had their cave sets, TOS understood that any set would do.

TAS caves don't count because they are two dimensional.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Caves.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The Caves And The Caves Not

naem
May 29, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

TOS is the Plato of caves because while all the others had their cave sets, TOS understood that any set would do.

TAS caves don't count because they are two dimensional.

TOS was like, we have this cowboy set and a roman gladiator set sitting around, cowboygladiator episode

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Eastbound Spider posted:

The Caves And The Caves Not

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

New Thread title: "Star Trek: It is mostly caves"

Final Fantasy Football
Oct 3, 2006

Arn't the ships just caves themselves? Whenever something explodes rocks come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Pretty much everything is either a cave or a sandwich