Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

im fairly sure the rearwing is mostly there for looks anyway at this point. it cant be making too much downforce at all

Armchair aerodynamics here, but it’s probably stabilizing a bit (the rear wing as a whole). I think they would lose out if they ran without (or attempted to). Those tiny endplates do look WipeOut as hell though.

I’m so glad that the quality of racing, the stability and growth of the ladder, and improvements made in IndyCar have built it into a really solid place. It finally feels like we’re out of the long, dark post-2005 woods, and that there will be better things ahead. Here’s hoping they build on the strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they still need people to actually watch it, it just pulled an 0.8 for St. Pete which is not a great number on a network

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

harperdc posted:

Armchair aerodynamics here, but it’s probably stabilizing a bit (the rear wing as a whole). I think they would lose out if they ran without (or attempted to). Those tiny endplates do look WipeOut as hell though.

Since the DW-12 era the rear wings at Indy have all been running right around -10° on the main plane, so they actually generate negative downforce. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same out of the new rear wing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they still need people to actually watch it, it just pulled an 0.8 for St. Pete which is not a great number on a network

Starting to get worried that the NBC deal means they are going to be one of the last to release an OTT service and lose some of this momentum.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It sounds like you can just pay for an nbc sports gold package for the season to stream to whatever device, price tbd.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

As far as I can tell, the gold package will have extra goodies, but will not carry the actual live NBC/NBCSN race broadcast.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bentai posted:

As far as I can tell, the gold package will have extra goodies, but will not carry the actual live NBC/NBCSN race broadcast.

Yeah, that's how it works with the Premier League. Gold doesn't include anything that's televised. Even if it did include the race broadcast, that's still gonna have ads. I have get NBCSN through YouTube TV but I would gladly pay extra to get an ad-free stream.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Yeah, that's how it works with the Premier League. Gold doesn't include anything that's televised. Even if it did include the race broadcast, that's still gonna have ads. I have get NBCSN through YouTube TV but I would gladly pay extra to get an ad-free stream.
The thing that bothers me the most is that NBC's streaming app, because it loads its own ads, doesn't ever show the race PIP which the broadcast (and I think YouTube TV) feed will. It doesn't excuse the amount of commercials, but that's what American sports fans are used to at this point!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I guess we’re “used to” ads, it’s not like we’re seeing them for the first time, but that doesn’t mean we like them and are going to accept them forever. Look how wildly successful NFL Red Zone is. Americans would obviously kill for ad-free broadcasts for pretty much anything. I’m just concerned IndyCar is going to be late to the game and everyone will have moved on to something else, when they really should’ve been one of the first.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I guess we’re “used to” ads, it’s not like we’re seeing them for the first time, but that doesn’t mean we like them and are going to accept them forever. Look how wildly successful NFL Red Zone is. Americans would obviously kill for ad-free broadcasts for pretty much anything. I’m just concerned IndyCar is going to be late to the game and everyone will have moved on to something else, when they really should’ve been one of the first.

Indycar is only now just getting into a position where it can start thinking about something like that, though. Offering the right OTT service isn't just something you can wave a magic wand at and have show up quickly. (See: Formula 1.) The series had too many other priorities to worry about up to this point. What's important is that Indycar offer something good, whenever it is ready to offer it. Its TV deal is pretty short (3-4 years, was it?) so I'd expect to see something happen on that front by then.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Indycar is only now just getting into a position where it can start thinking about something like that, though. Offering the right OTT service isn't just something you can wave a magic wand at and have show up quickly. (See: Formula 1.) The series had too many other priorities to worry about up to this point. What's important is that Indycar offer something good, whenever it is ready to offer it. Its TV deal is pretty short (3-4 years, was it?) so I'd expect to see something happen on that front by then.

I could not disagree more. They're at an incredibly important stage right now and they've just tied themselves to a dying platform for the next three years. That's not a recipe for audience growth. They might make small gains, and it's unquestionably a good thing to be free from ABC, but they're largely going to be treading water until this contract ends.

I mean come on, if there's ANY racing series with the flexibility to release a streaming service, it's IndyCar. They have one market and one contract that matters. F1 is pulling it off despite juggling hundreds of different TV deals and, until very recently, being managed with a staff that would make a Cub Scout troop look like a Fortune 500 company.

wicka fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 30, 2018

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Since the DW-12 era the rear wings at Indy have all been running right around -10° on the main plane, so they actually generate negative downforce. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same out of the new rear wing

Airfoils can still generate lift at negative AoAs. I doubt these wings actually give negative downforce at -10°, otherwise teams would be running them at whatever angle they'd provide neutral force, since that would be the point where they cause the least drag.

Theris fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 30, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think i remember reading that they did actually go negative to the point of lift in quals, to counteract all the weight on the rear of the car with the pods. Im not an expert though, once they start talking about cross weights and corner loading, i get lost.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh ratings flatlining and spectators at least somewhat improving is a big step up from the poo poo NASCAR is going through right now

like, gently caress

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'd take focusing on "butts in the seats" over "TV ratings" personally, but that's just me.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

I'd take focusing on "butts in the seats" over "TV ratings" personally, but that's just me.

Today's TV ratings are tomorrow's butts in seats.

ed- 1½ posts, another Professor B video. Dovetails nicely with that article Pruett did a few days ago on Coyne's anti-roll bar development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDNsD1Tuy14

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 30, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/ECRIndy/status/979801540725821440

ok these whip rear end, much better than the RESPEK DA TROOPS bottles from the last few years

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
drat Fuzzy sure knows how to get my money, I don't even like vodka but I buy at least one bottle a year

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

vodka and oj all day everyday

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Looking for some advice about Mid-Ohio. What all can you see/where can you go with a paddock pass, and is it better to get the Grandstand seats or general admission and walk around?

IMO Mid-Ohio might be the best track to get paddock passes for. The garages have balcony/walkways for spectators so you can stand right above the mechanics looking down. I wouldn't watch a race from there (I'd always sit at the top of the hill at the keyhole) but it's great to spend part of Friday/Saturday.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's no such thing as a track where paddock passes are a bad idea, though yes, some are much better for close access. Indianapolis, of all places, probably has the worst because of how closed in Gasoline Alley is.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

good news: Indycar is showing an old race tonight on FB

bad news: It's last year's Phoenix race

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
good news: literally every indy race since like 1983 is on youtube :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just a random thought since i've been loving around with historical indycar poo poo but it's incredible how loving awful a "development series" Indy Pros were. I think the best driver to come out of that series in the split era, by a factor of like ten, was Ed Carpenter.

Like the top 2 in the inagural IPS was loving AJ Quattro and Arie Jr. Not to reprise old Split debates again but the top two in the old CART-run Indy Lights the year prior were Townsend Bell and Dan Wheldon. In 2000 it was Bell/Scott Dixon (and Casey Mears :v: )

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Feels Villeneuve posted:

good news: literally every indy race since like 1983 is on youtube :v:

eh, I saw it on Indycar's IG and had a laugh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Like the top 2 in the inagural IPS was loving AJ Quattro and Arie Jr. Not to reprise old Split debates again but the top two in the old CART-run Indy Lights the year prior were Townsend Bell and Dan Wheldon. In 2000 it was Bell/Scott Dixon (and Casey Mears :v: )

TIL Aaron Fike finished top 5 in points in Infiniti Pro.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's Phoenix time! :woop:

Hopefully the race works out better than the last two years'.

We have both qual and race broadcasted this year! Eastern timezones ahead.

Friday
Starting at 5p on the livestream, practice #1.

Then on NBCSN, qualifying at 8p.

Second practice is on the livestream at 11p.

Saturday
Race at 9pm on NBCSN.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
The race should be better and will all boil down to tire wear, those who have the freshest tires at the end will prosper.

I'll update the OP once I get the fast facts e-mail

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Leigh Diffey all year on NBCSN. :woop:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/148434-indycar-phoenix-kicks-off-nbcsn-coverage

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/road-to-indy/item/148429-telitz-finding-unique-ways-to-pay-off-crash-damage

Aaron Telitz is resorting to interesting ways to pay for crash damage suffered in St. Pete.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Don't forget to grab your picks for fantasy league this weekend

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Benefit of Dale Jr moving to NBC:

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/981294211214561285

Is it May 2019 yet?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

WindyMan posted:

Benefit of Dale Jr moving to NBC:

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/981294211214561285

Is it May 2019 yet?

Maybe he'll have an epiphany that he wasted his entire life driving garbage tanks on garbage ovals in NASCAR and should have been racing open-wheelers on ovals instead... the only combination that works.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Oh look, my fancy new cologne arrived!

Phoenix speedway outdid themselves with ticket packaging this year.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

Phoenix speedway outdid themselves with ticket packaging this year.

Umm it's ISM Raceway now and you'll be shunned if you refer to the track as PIR :nyd:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It will always be PIR to me, goddamnit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEuUG8ash0c

It looked so different 25 years ago.

Edit: Holy poo poo that qualifying range. Scott Goodyear on pole at 172.8mph, back of the field at 146.9.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 5, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It will always be PIR to me, goddamnit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEuUG8ash0c

It looked so different 25 years ago.

Edit: Holy poo poo that qualifying range. Scott Goodyear on pole at 172.8mph, back of the field at 146.9.

back when they'd start encountering lap traffic by like lap 5

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

back when they'd start encountering lap traffic by like lap 5

That clusterfuck of traffic at 18:46 :stonk:

The other thing you don't see anymore: crowds

Edit: :lol: Bobby Unser blaming Robby Gordon for a wreck just as a matter of course without having seen poo poo.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 5, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indycar meets NHRA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpXDn3TUEg

Also the cameraman needs to use that voice-activated focus.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Some of these Twitter parody accounts are hilarious

https://twitter.com/MilesofMalarkey/status/982360538981203968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That nose cam :hellyeah: