Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Seriously? What kind of joke/visual gag only exists for one frame? If you have the preview window, you'll catch it. This is only a problem if that doesn't exist for some reason.

E: Or maybe I misunderstood. Another current peeve is my own irritability today. I don't even know why I'm annoyed, I just am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

As you could've clearly seen had you read the post before quoting it, I said it was possible-just-annoying to manually search the video. I said it was impossible to just skip to the intended moment unless I knew the timecode for the intended moment.

Seriously, are you actually reading my post, or just no-content responses as fast as you can? Either there's a timecode, or you're randomly hunting for the important part of a video where it's impossible to beeline for the important part.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Mar 28, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ah, the circle of life. A mere complaint about a minor annoyance grows to become a crippling inability to interact with the world, all thanks to our helpful crew of goons

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

As you could've clearly seen had you read the post before quoting it, I said it was possible-just-annoying to manually search the video. I said it was impossible to just skip to the intended moment unless I knew the timecode for the intended moment.

Seriously, are you actually reading my post, or just no-content responses as fast as you can? Either there's a timecode, or you're randomly hunting for the important part of a video.
yah, no, that's still not impossible. sorry you like to redefine words to whatever you think they mean.
also it's pretty rich for you to be telling other people they're no-content posters :nallears:

BioEnchanted posted:

So if someone posts an hour long video with a single line/visual gag that the person was discussing you really wouldn't mind skipping around the entire video trying to catch the moment on a single frame alone? I always post timestamps, not doing so is obnoxious unless you are discussing the whole video. And even with the little window, that only works if its a visual thing like a guest star - you can scrub through the video looking for the face certainly, that is easy, but if it's a funny line it's almost impossible to tell when it's being said based on the position on one persons mouth for one frame.
almost impossible = impossible, much like 0.999999 = 1. good point

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Elizabethan Error posted:

yah, no, that's still not impossible. sorry you like to redefine words to whatever you think they mean.

Are you arguing it's possible to go through a ten+ minute video for the precise moment you're looking for on the first try, every time?

I get it, not reading the posts and all, but c'mon. You're arguing against why timecodes exist, and why youtube baked them into their videos.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Are you arguing it's possible to go through a ten+ minute video for the precise moment you're looking for on the first try, every time?
yes.

Parasol Prophet posted:

You can hold your cursor over the video bar and a little window will usually pop up showing you what is playing at that time, making it actually really easy to skip to a relevant part (unless the video is entirely a talking head or something).

MisterBibs posted:

Yet, as others more eloquent than I could say have pointed out, you'd be arguing from a position of error because it's imperfect and thus impossible to do 100% accurately in every instance. If it was, I wouldn't have the pet peeve.

It's a position as flawed as trying to claim that a pet peeve someone has isn't a pet peeve.
you can preview the video, skip back and forth until you reach the right point. your unwillingness to use this feature doesn't redefine what 'impossible' means.

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Mar 28, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Yet, as others more eloquent than I could say have pointed out, you'd be arguing from a position of error because it's imperfect and thus impossible to do 100% accurately in every instance. If it was, I wouldn't have the pet peeve.

It's a position as flawed as trying to claim that a pet peeve someone has isn't a pet peeve.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
People who require 100% accuracy are my pet peeve.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Should we leave you two alone for a bit, it's pretty clear you've got a mutual thing going on

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who don't loving listen. I don't know what the hell it is, but I work admissions and I have to ask people for their name. I'll clearly ask people "What is your LAST name?" and they'll give me their first name. I'll say, "Thank you, what is your LAST name." and then they'll just loving repeat their first name and get angry at me when I have to ask again. If you'd just listen and give me the info I need, I'd be able to get you in faster, instead of telling me your name is Jane/John sixteen times. I'll be happy to put in your first name in a second, but I gotta get your LAST NAME first.

So many people do this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Should we leave you two alone for a bit, it's pretty clear you've got a mutual thing going on

As far as I'm concerned he can PM me about it. Sure, I know he's doing a bit since you can't really argue against the use of timecodes, but I was trying to elaborate.

Another pet peeve: people who think I'm joking or being an rear end when they have an accent. I'm not asking you to repeat something for my health, I'm sincerely trying to parse what you're saying and I'm trying my best.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You are really going out of your way to not understand a pretty basic concept.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You dumb fucks are making Bibs look like the smart one.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Sociopastry posted:

People who don't loving listen. I don't know what the hell it is, but I work admissions and I have to ask people for their name. I'll clearly ask people "What is your LAST name?" and they'll give me their first name. I'll say, "Thank you, what is your LAST name." and then they'll just loving repeat their first name and get angry at me when I have to ask again. If you'd just listen and give me the info I need, I'd be able to get you in faster, instead of telling me your name is Jane/John sixteen times. I'll be happy to put in your first name in a second, but I gotta get your LAST NAME first.

So many people do this.

I work at a post office and give out packages. If the package is big enough I cant assign it in a neat order and require a name to find it faster. Every loving time I ask they just give me their first name. "Its john". Thanks, that was really loving specific. Same as you, even if I ask for their full name they just go "John" again as if I will be able to trap their soul into a lamp if I learned it.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Mar 29, 2018

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Honestly sometimes I get so mad about it that I just wanna yell "LAST NAME LAST NAME LAST NAME" over and over again.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Way back when I worked at Blockbuster, 75% of people would give me their phone number after I specifically asked for their last name in order to access their account. Sometimes I wouldn't even be able to finish asking for their name before they started saying digits.
I guess to be fair, the Video Works across the street used phone numbers, but man. I will never forget that dumb face they made while confidently saying their phone number. That eyeballs-up-eyebrows-up-eyelids-closed look that I'm sure most retail employees are all too familiar with.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So instead of speakers for my PC, since it's in a room close to where my mom watches TV (sometimes) I have headphones on. I tell her every time I am putting them on, so if she calls for me, chances are I won't hear it. This does not stop her from yelling across the house and getting snippy that I don't reply, or throw off the headset and run out to see her arguing with the cable box. I've tried to explain that yes, I can pause movies, no, I can't pause live games, and much like her Facebook timed games, walking away from the keyboard doesn't pause it!

Sometimes I am tempted to just use speakers instead.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Mar 29, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

yelling across the house

Where do these people who think it's okay to do this ever even come from? Who raised them? My parents taught me that yelling is only okay if someone is in imminent danger or is hurt and needs help. All of my friends and I knew this as a basic rule of life, like "don't be lovely to other people" and "don't put running toasters into bathtubs", but somehow in my adult life I constantly run into people who think that this is a normal way to interact with people. If you want to talk to somebody, go talk to them, fucker.

It's especially bad at work where people getting caught in machinery is a real danger and a thing that happens. I'll hear someone yelling, drop what I'm going and to sprinting off to save them, then discover it's just someone yelling about how much gas they have because of the cabbage they ate or some poo poo.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
A childhood with a combination of stairs in your house and a fat family.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Or just a mother determined to give you an anxiety disorder later in life. :smith:

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Nobody in my family is fat, but we do have stairs. And kids. And yes “Hey! [insert whatever loud question here]?!” gets yelled a lot from one floor to the other.

We’re probably just bad people though. That’s entirely possible.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

burial posted:

Nobody in my family is fat, but we do have stairs. And kids. And yes “Hey! [insert whatever loud question here]?!” gets yelled a lot from one floor to the other.

We’re probably just bad people though. That’s entirely possible.

I think that's fine and we did it all the time too. I'm not going up and then down the stairs just to quietly ask you where you left the remote or if I can borrow the car.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Where do these people who think it's okay to do this ever even come from? Who raised them? My parents taught me that yelling is only okay if someone is in imminent danger or is hurt and needs help.
My parents taught me to not yell across the house but to go find the person you want to speak to. Now they yell across the house all the time and it drives me insane.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Now imagine a person who does that, but has bad hearing. Why a person would do that is beyond me.

Midig has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Mar 29, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

WHAT?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
The best thing ever to alleviate yelling in my family is when we got a house with an open stairwell/foyer. We just talk down into it like normal and the whole downstairs can hear us.
Before then though we'd shout because who the fucks going to go up a flight of stairs because they need help bringing in groceries etc?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Texts that say "CALL ME"

Is it urgent? Can you leave a hint as to what I'm calling you about?

Also, voicemails instead of texts. Checking a text is a lot more convenient and less intrusive than checking a voicemail. In most cases I'll immediately look at a text whereas I'll listen to voicemails once a day or so unless it's expected.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Texts that say "CALL ME"

Is it urgent? Can you leave a hint as to what I'm calling you about?

Also, voicemails instead of texts. Checking a text is a lot more convenient and less intrusive than checking a voicemail. In most cases I'll immediately look at a text whereas I'll listen to voicemails once a day or so unless it's expected.

My parents don't call me unless I haven't called them in about 3 weeks, and even then it's on Sundays, the usual day I talk to them.

A few years back, my mom called me at about 7:30 am on a Thursday in September when I'm driving in to work. My first thought is that someone is dead or in the hospital. She wanted to know what my schedule for visiting them over Christmas was. It's the morning on a weekday, I can't really chat, and it's 3 months to Christmas, I haven't even thought about Halloween yet.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

My parents don't call me unless I haven't called them in about 3 weeks, and even then it's on Sundays, the usual day I talk to them.

A few years back, my mom called me at about 7:30 am on a Thursday in September when I'm driving in to work. My first thought is that someone is dead or in the hospital. She wanted to know what my schedule for visiting them over Christmas was. It's the morning on a weekday, I can't really chat, and it's 3 months to Christmas, I haven't even thought about Halloween yet.

I don't mind phonecalls but I hate the "what are your plans a few months from now" calls. I don't even know what I'm doing TODAY. When I make plans they are almost always impulsive, I hate planning more than like a week ahead of time. Just wait and see.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a dumb joke I came up with at work that I really want to use some day but it requires way too specific a buildup to be workable.

Some customers at my tech support job have started using the Surface Pro for home use which has caused a lot of new problems to crop up.

The Joke is thus:

I have heard that a lot of writers are having trouble with Windows 10 tablets - they have great ideas for underlying themes and metaphors that they want to use, but just cannot nail down a coherent plot. I guess that they are having trouble with their Surface Prose :v:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
People not paying attention to their surroundings. Today I almost dropped a lot of weight on my chest because some dumbass clipped my barbell while walking between two benches.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Windchimes. Motherfucking windchimes. My blessed mother has 9 of the loving things hanging around the house in random spots so you can't escape the tinkling, clanging, ear bleedingly rhythmless noise. If I wasn't terrified of what mother would do to me, I'd clip every loving string and bend all the pipes and toss them in the garbage where they belong.

I just want to smoke in peace and now I'm contemplating minor property damage. Windchimes, man. gently caress!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

counterpoint: windchimes own

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

counterpoint: windchimes own

agreed

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, voicemails instead of texts.
The provider I used to use had a thing where people could leave a message and it would automatically be transcribed and sent to me as a text. Then the plan I was on was discontinued and I had to switch to a different provider to get something comparable, so now I have regular voicemail and I hate it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
People who don’t know how to close doors quietly, especially when it’s late. You can turn the handle when you’re closing it, and you don’t have to ram it into the frame. Don’t just fling it behind you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

People who don’t know how to close doors quietly, especially when it’s late. You can turn the handle when you’re closing it, and you don’t have to ram it into the frame. Don’t just fling it behind you.

This is one of my most severe peeves. Door slammers are the worst. You don't have to spend like a minute closing it to stop it from creaking at all like you're robbing the place, but at least turn the handle like you said and be gentle with it. It's not complicated.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

fizzymercy posted:

Windchimes. Motherfucking windchimes. My blessed mother has 9 of the loving things hanging around the house in random spots so you can't escape the tinkling, clanging, ear bleedingly rhythmless noise. If I wasn't terrified of what mother would do to me, I'd clip every loving string and bend all the pipes and toss them in the garbage where they belong.

I just want to smoke in peace and now I'm contemplating minor property damage. Windchimes, man. gently caress!

loving preach my man. Our neighbors in the back have wind chimes and yeah, I just want to sit and have a smoke or watch the rain and it's just ding. Diding dindindinding loving constantly. gently caress that noise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I try to be super sneaky at night so I don’t wake my roommates, but I always like, slam into the open door or a dog gate lying around.

That’s my pet peeve. Being a clumsy gently caress who doesn’t have night vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

The oxymoron of people who say they know nothing about computers and want your help, but claim to know more about you on specific things while you are trying to help them and think you are doing it all wrong. While just generally being very rude and interjecting. Rules are very simple if you want tech support in my book:

1. Tell me what you want to do
2. Answer questions and do so directly, no beating around the bush
3. Shut up

EDIT:

Also, while I am at it. Whenever you ask someone how long time you think it will take and they give you the "Dunno". I don't want to know how long it will take down to the last detail. Is it about one hour, a week, a month? I am not rushing you, I am just trying to make my own schedule work. If I know it will take a long time, I will have the patience of a saint. It takes as long as it will take and I can accept that. Not knowing how long it will take, however, drives me nuts.

Midig has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Mar 30, 2018