Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I liked the first one enough to finish it, haven't read the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
The start of the first book I enjoyed, made the cultural revolution seem as harsh as it was then the books just become more and more terrible (and obsessed with suicide if you ask me), they're bad sci-fi books and I dont get why everyone like them.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Boiled Water posted:

Old Customs, Old Culture, Old Physics, Old Habits, and Old Ideas

Old wonder it's dark

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

by.a.teammate posted:

The start of the first book I enjoyed, made the cultural revolution seem as harsh as it was then the books just become more and more terrible (and obsessed with suicide if you ask me), they're bad sci-fi books and I dont get why everyone like them.

China will be #1 in science fiction by 2020, and people don't want to be left behind.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

dregan posted:

Old wonder it's dark

Nice.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've always wondered that during official state visits, it must be awkward to talk through a translator with another head of state. I doubt Winnie the Pooh knows any Korean, and I doubt Kim jong Un speaks passable Mandarin.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

I've always wondered that during official state visits, it must be awkward to talk through a translator with another head of state. I doubt Winnie the Pooh knows any Korean, and I doubt Kim jong Un speaks passable Mandarin.

Hilarious if they just speak English to each other

Serious answer: with trained translators it's near instantaneous and they must be used to it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLuzmXLORSg

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
When I first came to Thailand, I stayed in a resort where the door to my room just wouldn't work. You shut a door, it clicks into place, and it doesn't open back up. This door had difficulties accomplishing that. On closer examination, I discovered that the latch had been installed backwards. So instead of a nicely curved piece of metal sliding against the frame and then keeping the door from swinging back open, a flat bolt of metal would smack into it and if I turned the knob and shut the door, it would just slide back open since the curved side couldn't brace the door shut.

Maintenance took one look at it, shrugged, and switched my rooms. It was easier to just have an empty room than it was to deal with the problem.

In that new room, the AC wouldn't produce cold air. I called maintenance again and they told me that in Thailand, one cannot expect instant cold air. I needed to wait. So half an hour later when it still was just blowing out hot air, they switched me to a third room. This one was covered in ants, but gently caress it, the door stayed shut and it was cold.

A year later, I was living in a condo. I locked myself out of my bathroom and of course there was no key (this wasn't a pushpin door, but a literal lock and key door). The landlord helpfully sent a locksmith. He examined the knob for a good five minutes, got out a screwdriver, carefully set it against the knob, then whacked the butt of the screwdriver with a hammer.

"You'll need to buy a new knob."

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I lived in a highrise apartment in China once where the door baffled me, 2 other foreigners and a chinese guy.

It turned out that you turned the key really hard to open the door, and you pushed what looked like the thumb latch lever to -lock- the door from the outside.

We spent like 15 minutes unlocking and then locking it. One of the neighbors came out to see what the commotion was and my chinese buddy asked him to help but he said it didnt have anything to do with him and went back inside. My friend talked to the landlord later that night and he explained it.

The door would also make very loud buzzing noises when it was windy that alternated pitch as the winds changed, and the whole interior of the apartment was painted pink.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

hakimashou posted:

I lived in a highrise apartment in China once where the door baffled me, 2 other foreigners and a chinese guy.

It turned out that you turned the key really hard to open the door, and you pushed what looked like the thumb latch lever to -lock- the door from the outside.

We spent like 15 minutes unlocking and then locking it. One of the neighbors came out to see what the commotion was and my chinese buddy asked him to help but he said it didnt have anything to do with him and went back inside. My friend talked to the landlord later that night and he explained it.

The door would also make very loud buzzing noises when it was windy that alternated pitch as the winds changed, and the whole interior of the apartment was painted pink.

Lmfao

The door plays pleasant music, why are you complaining

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Goddamn, this is one horrifying self-own

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Imperialist Dog posted:

Hilarious if they just speak English to each other

Maybe possible, I'm sure Xi speaks English and Lil Kim probably did while living in Switzerland.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

thoughts and prayers posted:

"The Article posted:

Zhang revealed to police that he, his wife and their son had gone to a relative's home for dinner that night.
He drove home in his silver van while his wife took their son on the scooter.
He reportedly crashed into the pair of them on the way home.
He hit and run his own wife and kid on the way home from the same place. This is like a China Singularity. The only way it could have been more China is if he had used the 'better dead than maimed' protocol.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Kim speaks decent English and reportedly middling-to-passable German because of his Swiss school days. No idea if he picked up Mandarin at some point but it wouldn’t be surprising, I guess.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

Kim speaks decent English and reportedly middling-to-passable German because of his Swiss school days. No idea if he picked up Mandarin at some point but it wouldn’t be surprising, I guess.

Do you think he's fairly intelligent due to his excellent education or one of those spoiled rich idiots who gets other people to do their homework for them?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Escape Addict posted:

Do you think he's fairly intelligent due to his excellent education or one of those spoiled rich idiots who gets other people to do their homework for them?

People who went to school with him said he was kind of a crappy student who cared more about basketball and video games than homework, which is a comfortingly normal thing to hear.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pirate Radar posted:

People who went to school with him said he was kind of a crappy student who cared more about basketball and video games than homework, which is a comfortingly normal thing to hear.

Yeah but now he gets to torture people who screw up on the basketball team and have people get blown up and machine gunned like in video games where instead maybe if he'd done his homework he could do economic reforms or some poo poo.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

thoughts and prayers posted:

quote:

Witnesses who rushed to inspect the accident

No rushing to help, just look at a thing.

KillingPablo
Apr 5, 2003

WHOO! I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the fucking POLICE right now!

Atlas Hugged posted:

hakimashou posted:

The locks on the doors in my apartment building have been designed so if you lock the door on one side, it cannot be unlocked from the other. I've a friend who once accidentally locked his GF in the apartment when he left for work, and she was trapped until he could return to let her out again. Bonus points for them living on the second floor, so there are bars over the outside of all their windows. It's one of the worst fire hazards I have seen and I've no idea who thought it was a good idea to design locks in such a manner.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

KillingPablo posted:

The locks on the doors in my apartment building have been designed so if you lock the door on one side, it cannot be unlocked from the other. I've a friend who once accidentally locked his GF in the apartment when he left for work, and she was trapped until he could return to let her out again. Bonus points for them living on the second floor, so there are bars over the outside of all their windows. It's one of the worst fire hazards I have seen and I've no idea who thought it was a good idea to design locks in such a manner.

accidentally

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Yeah but now he gets to torture people who screw up on the basketball team and have people get blown up and machine gunned like in video games where instead maybe if he'd done his homework he could do economic reforms or some poo poo.

Knowing that North Korea is run by a probable gamergater would help make sense of a lot of things

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Atlas Hugged posted:

When I first came to Thailand, I stayed in a resort where the door to my room just wouldn't work. You shut a door, it clicks into place, and it doesn't open back up. This door had difficulties accomplishing that. On closer examination, I discovered that the latch had been installed backwards. So instead of a nicely curved piece of metal sliding against the frame and then keeping the door from swinging back open, a flat bolt of metal would smack into it and if I turned the knob and shut the door, it would just slide back open since the curved side couldn't brace the door shut.

Maintenance took one look at it, shrugged, and switched my rooms. It was easier to just have an empty room than it was to deal with the problem.

In that new room, the AC wouldn't produce cold air. I called maintenance again and they told me that in Thailand, one cannot expect instant cold air. I needed to wait. So half an hour later when it still was just blowing out hot air, they switched me to a third room. This one was covered in ants, but gently caress it, the door stayed shut and it was cold.

A year later, I was living in a condo. I locked myself out of my bathroom and of course there was no key (this wasn't a pushpin door, but a literal lock and key door). The landlord helpfully sent a locksmith. He examined the knob for a good five minutes, got out a screwdriver, carefully set it against the knob, then whacked the butt of the screwdriver with a hammer.

Looks like I could find employment in Thailand.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

The thing about the north koreans is we really dont have any insight into their goverment kim might be held up as the dear leader but where does the power really lay in that country.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This is in Thai, but someone translated it to English:

https://news.sanook.com/5848778/

quote:

A Chinese woman defecated in a Bangkok taxi on Monday and then refused to pay anything towards the cleanup cost.

According to Sanook, the Chinese woman, 30, told the driver she wanted to go Ratchadapisek Soi 7 after being leaving the Terminal 21 shopping mall.

On the way, the woman told the driver she needed the toilet and wanted to stop at a gas station on the Asok Montri road.

However, the driver couldn’t make the right turn into the gas station because of traffic cones in the road. Unable to wait until she found a toilet the woman defecated inside the taxi.

The driver then pulled over the cab and told the woman to pay for her mess to be cleaned up but she refused and demanded to be taken to her destination.

A policeman arrived on the scene to try and help settle the dispute but told the driver that there was nothing he could.

The policeman reportedly said there was no law to cover such an incident.

The woman eventually walked off leaving the taxi driver with a soiled cab.

The taxi driver then contact the JS100 traffic news website to report the incident.

The driver named only as Mr Surawat said: “I have been a taxi driver for 14 years. Normally people complain about taxis not picking up passengers.

“But now do you see the type of problems taxi drivers have to deal with?”

Chaoshan Girl just left after a short holiday here. I haven't opened my computer since we went out together. We had a decent time. Not much else to report.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Designated making GBS threads taxi

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
"The policeman reportedly said there was no law to cover such an incident"

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Darkest Auer posted:

I feel like that is a law the Thai King could easily take care off ( The old one, not sure about the new one).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Have the taxi retroactively declared a temple.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

KillingPablo posted:

That'd be extremely illegal in Europe.
The door to my apartment is classified as "break in delaying" which means any lock needs to be fashioned in a way that allows people inside of the apartment to be able to unlock it without a key at any time.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Darkest Auer posted:

Taxidriver surely had an image of the king in the car....that woman defecated in face of the king, thus insulting him. Problem solved

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Barudak posted:

Shes uncomfortable with that and its Japan so abortion is extremely tightly controlled and adopting the child out is absolutely the worst thing you can do so shes basically been forced to be a single mom against her will.

I am one of five (foreign) women I know who easily procured an abortion in Japan. :confused:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BexGu posted:

So Amazon is going to spend a billion dollars on this?

https://twitter.com/paulmidler/status/979108926892343296

This is part of section that in intensely critical of the Cultural Revolution. It's part of the backstory for the main character.

Three Body Problem is good.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
gently caress, that’s on my list but I haven’t gotten to it yet

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

barbecue at the folks posted:

Knowing that North Korea is run by a probable gamergater would help make sense of a lot of things

North Korea makes perfect sense to me after living in South Korea. It's SK that's the weird one.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/modacitylife/status/979395971086917632

did u know?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Last I checked, diesel Volkswagens weren't littering the street

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ziv Zulander posted:

Last I checked, diesel Volkswagens weren't littering the street

they were also put there by a mammoth buy-back from VW loving up software in their vehicles that compromised nice extras like "brakes", not the entire abortive clusterfuck that is the bike sharing debacle

like literally, one is a large company loving up and paying the price for it, the other is a government loving up, not admitting it, and letting their citizens pay the price for it.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
don’t worry they’ll get shipped to chinese landfills

and then some enterprising farmer will build a jaeger out of them or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Huh I wonder how this lift broke?

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/979859566975361026?s=19

• Locked thread