Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hi we're the Faces of Death and this is controlled facial degloving

1 2 3 4!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Just rewatched The World's End last night. Edgar Wright movies have about a million of these (and most have probably been covered in the thread), but one little thing that stood out for me and I haven't seen remarked on elsewhere:

All of the main characters have a full name that they go by as adults and a short version that they go by as kids (Oliver/Ollie, Peter/Pete, Steven/Steve, Andrew/Andy). This is highlighted in particular in the title cards where they're introduced (where they also get appropriate kid/adult fonts):

The only exception is Gary, who has the same name as an adult and kid because he never grows up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's a nice catch, but why can't I remember those title cards existing? Could have sworn there was no such thing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Just checked and yes, the title cards do exist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Go73Cyi3o

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Maybe it's well known, but I just noticed in those screen caps that Ollie is talking on a cellphone, while Oliver always has the Bluetooth headset in.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

knows a black guy posted:

Maybe it's well known, but I just noticed in those screen caps that Ollie is talking on a cellphone, while Oliver always has the Bluetooth headset in.

Always on the bleeding edge of douche tech.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

If your douche tech is causing bleeding, try something less caustic, maybe?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Marcade posted:

If your douche tech is causing bleeding, try something less caustic, maybe?

Yeah maybe unscented Lysol?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Android Apocalypse posted:

Annhilation does a really good job of being creepy & unsettling, keeping in tune with its theme of change. That bear scene will haunt me for a long time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHc-O9MBGnw

That's pretty similar to the Librarians from Metro 2033.

I need to go see that movie still that's pretty great.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Mar 21, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Annhilation does a really good job of being creepy & unsettling, keeping in tune with its theme of change. That bear scene will haunt me for a long time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHc-O9MBGnw

Also, this was the scene where I thought to myself, 'Yea, the people who made this saw Pontypool and learned all the right things."

Also Roadside Picnic, and STALKER, and The Thing, Blindsight, and and :swoon:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I didn't really catch on with with the first of Eddie Murphy's Nutty Professor movies, is that in the sequence when Buddy Love is dealing with Reggie from the very start he is mercilessly deconstructing him - pointing out that his "jokes" are just pointing out defects, then turning the joke around but actually making jokes about Reggie's appearence rather than just pointing the flaws out - he is showing Reggie how it's done even before the altercation gets physical. I really like that movie...

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I didn't really catch on with with the first of Eddie Murphy's Nutty Professor movies, is that in the sequence when Buddy Love is dealing with Reggie from the very start he is mercilessly deconstructing him - pointing out that his "jokes" are just pointing out defects, then turning the joke around but actually making jokes about Reggie's appearence rather than just pointing the flaws out - he is showing Reggie how it's done even before the altercation gets physical. I really like that movie...

do you have an organic and magical computer that lets you communicate with people 22 years in the future

what is the most recent movie you've watched or game you've played

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Movies: Coco.

Games:Get Even

I stay current when I can, it's just new stuff is expensive.

also I was specifically looking up that scene on Youtube to make a joke about dreadlocks in the Idiots on Social Media thread while it was on the subject, but I abandoned the idea.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Mar 24, 2018

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

okay, but i'm keeping my eye on you

full disclosure: i remember The Absent Minded Professor better than the Eddie Murphy takes, and certainly more fondly.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FFT posted:

okay, but i'm keeping my eye on you

full disclosure: i remember The Absent Minded Professor better than the Eddie Murphy takes, and certainly more fondly.

you shouldnt

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We had a pretty long thread in CD about JW2 and the crazy lengths the filmmakers went to over all the little details. Here's an interview with the director and stunt co-ordinator talking about things like how they spent months just messing around with mirrors in a rented warehouse blocking out the fight scene in the mirror maze.

I also made some effort posts about the significance and the symbolism of the artworks that were prominently featured in the film.

I'm watching John Wick 2 again and I just noticed that they had a test run for the mirror maze scene: when John goes to assassinate Gianna D'Antonio her death scene is in a huge bathroom which has giant mirrors at either end of the room which creates an "endless mirrors" illusion and the camera is constantly crossing back and forth between them without ever appearing. I totally missed that the first few times I saw the film ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0opOyvWRuk
(Trigger warning: suicide scene)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
X-Men The Last Stand might be crap, but I love Kelsey Grammer's Beast, specifically the scene where he meets the mutant who can nullify other mutant's powers. Grammer completely sells his character's shock and wonder seeing his unmutated hand for the first time in ages. In that one moment, he completely understands the desire to have the cure if you're not a normal-looking mutant.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Mar 30, 2018

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

That movie has a lot of problems, but casting isn't one of them. Kelsey Grammer is perfect as Beast, and even Vinnie Jones is good as Juggernaut.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

MichiganCubbie posted:

That movie has a lot of problems, but casting isn't one of them. Kelsey Grammer is perfect as Beast, and even Vinnie Jones is good as Juggernaut.

I dont really know Vinnie Jones from whatever, but he would've been a great Juggs if he had more to do than break his neck on some drywall.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He also had the vital job of parroting a meme!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pneub posted:

I dont really know Vinnie Jones from whatever, but he would've been a great Juggs if he had more to do than break his neck on some drywall.

Someone please edit this guys avatar so its the face of the guy in that famous pic of Vinnie Jones on the soccer field

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I really like the interplay between Hook-Handed Man and Sunny in the Netflix Unfortunate Events series. He is the only adult who speaks baby so he gets some funny reactions out of her babble like "But the baby said there'd be chocolate pudding :qq:!"

Edit: Edited out his name as it won't be revealed in the show till later.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

I really like the interplay between Hook-Handed Man and Sunny in the Netflix Unfortunate Events series. He is the only adult who speaks baby so he gets some funny reactions out of her babble like "But the baby said there'd be chocolate pudding :qq:!"

Edit: Edited out his name as it won't be revealed in the show till later.

Thank you for reminding me that season 2 came out

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

They also managed to strike a careful balance with Carmelita Spats in that she's actually pretty funny, although annoying at times. They just didn't make the mistake of her being annoying all the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

After watching I think my favourite thing about the Unfortunate Events Netflix series' visual design is that they use incredibly bright, garish colours for costumes and locations, then use the camera to fade the hell out of them, giving a colour scheme that is severely contrasting yet still dingy.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Just checked and yes, the title cards do exist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Go73Cyi3o

I'm an idiot because I just realized that everyone's last names (Chamberlain, Page, Knightly, Prince) are all related to nobility, just like Gary King's

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
There's a sequence in Ready Player One where the characters have to go into a very detailed simulation of The Shining. It's a drat good sequence and is the most video-gamey, carnival-ridey, actually fun sequence of the movie.

I might be wrong, but I think they actually cleaned up actual shots from The Shining, and seamlessly blended the characters in. At least to my popcorn-munching dumb-dumb eyes it felt that way. If they actually recreated the sets to make them photo-real, I'd be even more impressed.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

After watching I think my favourite thing about the Unfortunate Events Netflix series' visual design is that they use incredibly bright, garish colours for costumes and locations, then use the camera to fade the hell out of them, giving a colour scheme that is severely contrasting yet still dingy.

However they do it I love it. Visually amazing and the little jokes throughout are always fun

e: and NPH telling small children that their good for nothing parents are in the habit of being burnt up skeletons--withering looks abound :allears:

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Mar 31, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

They also managed to strike a careful balance with Carmelita Spats in that she's actually pretty funny, although annoying at times. They just didn't make the mistake of her being annoying all the time.

I just noticed her tap shoes on the kitchen floor are recreating the velociraptor kitchen scene from JP1 as the kids hide behind the counters

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I really liked about the latest episode (that aired in the UK) of Legends of Tomorrow is that they had a D&D gag that made some kind of sense - the characters are going to meet Demonologist and Warlock John Constantine, and the doofus character Gary makes a dumb comment about being a level 9 warlock to which his superior shoots him down due to being irrelevant.

When discussing the situation at hand with the actual Demonologist however, he allows Gary's rambling anecdote, largely because it so far closely fits his own experiences, and it has two good points - the Legends will be fine if they stick together against evil!Sarah, although of course they don't do that and get their asses handed to them, and they can track the magical artefact the same was Gary's group did.

The punchline comes when Constantine joins Gary's D&D session at the end of the episode. Bear this in mind - what do games attempt to do? Constantine has found a way to simulate magical adventures that function on similar rules to his own, without actual danger, as a dry run for weird poo poo that he can uniquely apply to his actual job. It makes perfect sense for him to join in, it'll help him prepare mentally for weird outliers coming up in his own work.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Rewatched LotR this weekend. I don't think I had ever picked up on previous viewings that where the ring's chain comes in contact with Frodo's neck gets increasingly messed up as time goes on, most notably in Return of the King.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

couldcareless posted:

Rewatched LotR this weekend. I don't think I had ever picked up on previous viewings that where the ring's chain comes in contact with Frodo's neck gets increasingly messed up as time goes on, most notably in Return of the King.

That bit of subtle makeup work comes directly from the book.
God those movies were good for the unstated stories within the details.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I don't like the scene where Bilbo becomes a goblin and tries to grab the ring from Frodo because ~in the book~ it's meant to show that Frodo is already changing, not that Bilbo is a horrid little monster. Would have been difficult to film that way maybe

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The voice is hard to make out but when Aragorn closes Frodo's hand over the ring at the end of Felloswhip the voice says "Aragorn" rather than just random whsipery evil noises or w/e

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

The voice is hard to make out but when Aragorn closes Frodo's hand over the ring at the end of Felloswhip the voice says "Aragorn" rather than just random whsipery evil noises or w/e

It also says "Elessar", his elven name, which RotK also repeats at the Black Gate.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

peer posted:

I don't like the scene where Bilbo becomes a goblin and tries to grab the ring from Frodo because ~in the book~ it's meant to show that Frodo is already changing, not that Bilbo is a horrid little monster. Would have been difficult to film that way maybe

This is an interesting distinction that I've never considered having never read the books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

peer posted:

You're misinterpreting that scene. Immediately after Bilbo's change of demeanour he's shaken by his own sudden lust for the Ring. It's not internal to Frodo.

Trust me, I thought "Wtf?" when I first saw the movie and I went back to the books to see what really happened. I was startled to find that they'd changed nothing.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What I thought was interesting is that Bilbo really wasn't affected all that much by the ring. He held onto it for decades and used it on the regular enough to have his life significantly prolonged, it just didn't affect his mind all that much. He had some withdrawal effects after he let it go, but while he had it the only real negative effect it had on his personality was that he told Gandalf a minor fib once, and he eventually came clean about that. He didn't even have that hard a time giving it away.

Maybe that's because Sauron's powers were weak or whatever, but I think it's just because Bilbo didn't know it was anything special. It was just one part of this crazy adventure he went on, and there were so many more important things happening with kings and dragons and wizards that the ring was just a funny little souvenir.

Frodo had it for another 17 years after that (sitting in an envelope on the shelf, admittedly), but as soon as he finds out it's actually the most important magical artifact in the world he's rubbing it and calling it his precious.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

RandomFerret posted:

Frodo had it for another 17 years after that (sitting in an envelope on the shelf, admittedly), but as soon as he finds out it's actually the most important magical artifact in the world he's rubbing it and calling it his precious.

I love a good allegory for puberty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another theory that's been around for ages is that the ring was content to sit around and wait for Sauron to regain power with Bilbo, but because Frodo's mission was to destroy it it was working harder on him.